Banfield Pet Hospital - Banfield Class Action Lawsuit Need Participants

Jul 21, 2008
review #128305

As a consumer dispute resolution counselor, here’s what I advise with regard to Banfield if you want to get resolution and possibly compensation for your Banfield billing and animal care experiences:

1. Join in on one of the THREE class action lawsuits that are being considered or in preparation against Banfield Pet Hospitals by going to the law firms’ websites and listing your complaints. Definition of a class action can be found at: http://www.claiminformation.com/classactions.htm The more people that sign-up, the greater the resolution and possibility that you’ll be compensated for your emotional distress down the road. The law firms are as follows:

Once there clink on "Inquire About Your Potential Case" and fill out the online form giving specific details of your problems regarding Banfield. Please, make sure that you include either your phone number or send them an email on the link within the "Inquire" link.

Complete the online form outlining your experiences.

Complete the online form outlining your experiences.

Please, make sure that you share your experiences regarding billing issues, pet care (or lack therefore of), names of staff, location of hospitals and if you've ever written to the corporate offices and if so, what was the response if any. Remember, the more people that join the class action lawsuits, the greater the chances of resolution and restitution (financial compensation for your losses and emotional distress).

2. Go to www.ftc.gov (Federal Trade Commission) and file a very quick online complaint. Make sure that you give any contract numbers, names of staff, address of the hospital that you used, leave out unnecessary details and get to the point (short and sweet) and name the CEO as the contact person: Dr. Scott Campbell, CEO, Banfield, The Pet Hospital, 8000 NE Tillamook

Portland, OR 97213. The FTC will issue fines if they receive enough complaints.

3. Google your state’s Governor’s Office or Attorney General’s Office of Consumer Affairs and file a complaint. Most will allow you to do this online. It’s quick and easy just include specific names, addresses, dates, details of problems (short and to the point) contract numbers, if any, and your contact information. Consumer Affairs will

4. Contact the American Association of Veterinary State Boards by calling 1-877-698-8482 or http://www.aavsb.org/ContactUs/ContactUs.aspx and ask them for the website, phone number and/or address for the regulatory board for your state, then file a complaint against Banfield’s license in that state.

5. Write directly to the CEO of Banfield (or at least print and copy all of your complaints to all of the agencies above and mail a copy to: Dr. Scott Campbell, CEO, Banfield, The Pet Hospital, 8000 NE Tillamook Portland, OR 97213 Phone 800-838-6738 Fax 866-477-5120 email: scott.campbell@banfield.net

6. Post these instructions on every complaint forum and website mentioning Banfield that you can find on Google.

7. Remember there’s strength in numbers. If you’re not going to take the time to file a complaint then don’t take the time to post a complaint. Change only comes through efforts to make change.

8. Contact the CEO of PetSmart and let them know that you’ll NOT shop PetSmart until they kick Banfield to the curb. They are separate companies but who would want to support a store that allows another business to operate using such bad business practices while being inside their stores? Contact: Philip L. Francis, CEO, PetSmart, Inc., 19601 N. 27th Ave, Phoenix AZ 85027, phone 623-580-6100.

896474f
Had an experience with Banfield Pet Hospital?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Michelle

Mar 04, 2012

I took me dog for 3 visits over the summer (to the tune of over $600). My dog has fear aggression, so they never even examined him! Four weeks of antibiotics seemed to help, but 2 weeks ago he started getting sick again and whimpering in pain. Was able to sedate him enough that they could get blood, physical exam, and x-rays. However they screwed up all those tests. The doctor sounded genuinely confused. About 20 minutes after I spoke to him, he apparently forgot that he spoke to me and called AGAIN and left me a message that he wanted to speak to me about the blood work. Now they've been calling me every couple of days because they want me to come in and REPEAT the entire $750 worth of tests-PLUS and ultrasound!! And they think I'm *** enough to let them near my dog again?? Where do I sign for the class action suit??...

So upset

Mar 03, 2012

I have been with Banfield for 2 years and have always made my payment when I called them to tell them that the vet hit my dog and he is bleeding her only response was well we have no control over the vets. WTF! So I cancelled my account with them and now there telling me they are charging me for the last 4 months and since I am cancelling they are charing me an 50 dollars. WTF is wrong with these people.

Karen Hayes

Nov 30, 2011

These bastards want money off me and my precious pet is DEAD because of their negligence.

Karen Hayes

Nov 30, 2011

noname

Oct 30, 2011

im sorry but you cannot sue banfields due to your misunderstanding of wellness plans because you did not read them correctly.... like any contract you should read it thoroughly....wellness plans are not a scam they are an easy way to finance Preventative Care for your pet and they discount services on things not covered as explained to every client! not all banfields are the same so please do not link them together!!!!!!

noname

Oct 30, 2011

Livingny

Oct 29, 2011

Please Please Please NEVER get a pet from a pet store! There are plenty of sites out there that have pure breeds needing rescue or if you're not picky plenty of animals who need rescuing. ALL animals coming from a pet store are from puppy farms, the living conditions are horrific, they throw the dead animals in piles and breed the females until they're about dead. All the while they live in cages stacked from floor to ceiling. If we don't buy from pet stores it will put the puppy farms out of business.

Please buy from a breeder and see the parents and the place where the puppy lives, then you'll know whether the dogs are treated well and see the temperament of the parents of the puppy which will show how the puppy will be also. Breeders really care about their animals and they really don't make a huge amount of money from breeding they do it because they love the breed and want to preserve the breed. The cost of breeding is expensive so they may break even or make a little but not much. Or if you know someone who had puppies by accident then get one from them but please don't go to a pet store! Check the sites online. Just google for an animal you want, plenty of sites will pop up. You'll see pictures and details on the animals' temperament, a lot of them are fostered and the foster family will answer any and all questions about the animal they are caring for while waiting for it to find a good home. Please help put the puppy farms out of business.

Melissa

Oct 27, 2011

I cancelled the joke of a wellness plan after my dog bailey bad an alllergiic reaction after his shots. I warned tbe vet that he would need prednisone first, they only gave him benadryl and they said they would monitor him. Well, as soon as we got him home he was pantinb and his face was swollen. I rushed him back, they gave him meds, closed at seven and kicked us out. So we ended up at the er vet an hr later for further treatment and fluids. Please do yourself a favor and never ever take your beloved pet there. I tried to tell the vet he had past history of severe hives and swelling and itching and all they.saw was dollar signs. Who the *** takes that chance with a hyper allergic animal. How dare they put my baby thru that

Becky Rasmussen

Sep 26, 2011

I took my rat terrier to Dr. Wittler in Papillion, NE. X-rays showed his abdominal cavitity was filled with fluid. She aspirated it and it was blood. She knew all along he was going to die and that he had hemangioscarcoma. A common cancer in dogs. It should've stopped there, but she wanted to do a ecg and see if a blood thinner could help. Maybe it was something that could be controlled. We took him home, held him all night. He was fighting to breath so had to put him down. We currently have a rat terrier, who's been on the wellness plan over 4 years. We have finally had it and are leaving. Bella has 4, they say six months left on her plan and they are billing us $200. They have made so much money off of us, I would think that asking for a full year of wellness plan payments and then once past that be able to stop. They only care about the money.

Love My Dog

Aug 15, 2011

I am in the process of trying to settle a dispute with Banfield Corporate. They were quick to respond after I sent letters to the Banfield location and PetSmart location; along with Banfield corporate and PetSmart corporate, in regards to almost killing my dog during a routine spay. Since then, they are giving me the run around about gettting my money back.
Upon researching Banfield I have found multiple complaints about their billing practices; along with negligent services.
I DO HAVE A CASE, but have been unable to find anyone who deals with animals.
If there is any information you could provide me with before I settle with less then what was incurred, I would greatly appreciate it. My email address is fastpitchmom13@comcast.net.

RedSky

Aug 09, 2011

I'm going to be sick. Poor amigo. I agree. Quick buck and not a care about our pets. Since Red Sky got her shots there she's had a wierd inflamatory condition and is now in terrible cronic pain. She was a canine athlete a year ago. Now she's counting down to euthenasia from arthritis-I think the shots triggered it. Call me-anyone- if you had a similar shot reaction, please. Starr 612-558-4914

RedSky

Aug 09, 2011

I don't use computers alot. My home number is 612-545-5521. We are taking Banfield to court over their wellness plan scam. We want in on class action if you do it. Please call Andrew or Starr and explain you are from this website post. We'd love to talk.

RonRich

2006 Bud Davis Road
Newnan, Georgia 30263
678-423-0196

RE: Patient Amigo Richardson, deceased:

On May 2, 2011 Dr. Roberta Lena Wrighten, DVM licsence # VET008287 negligence caused the death to my pet Chihuahua dog Amigo I have been devastated by a loss I believe that could have been prevented if Amigo had recieved ADEQUATE emergency care.

I am a senior citizen who lives in a remote area of western Coweta County Georgia, alone. My only source of income is through social security. A man and his wife gave me a place to live in 2007, in exchange for property caretaking services I perform. Prior to that I was homeless. I had lived alone for twelve years after being the primary personal caretakers of my parents who passed in 1994 and 1995. The older I got the more difficult time I had securing a job, so went out on disability, due to a history of a depressive disorder, then last year my disability turned into full social security benefits because I turned age sixty-six, the full retirement age. Their was a

Banfield Pet Hospital

May 24, 2011

We are sorry to hear of Bailey’s passing and know how hard it is to lose a family member. Sometimes when pets are brought in for emergency care, it is difficult to know exactly what procedures and medications the pet may need. Ongoing therapy depends on how the pet responds to initial emergency care. Unfortunately, due to the nature of emergencies, tests, treatments and associated costs which might be optional in non-emergency situations are rarely so in life-threatening situations. We believe that you have already resolved your concerns about your wellness plan payments but if you have additional questions, please call our Wellness Plan team at (866) 894-7927.

Cam

May 22, 2011

I am interested in this but none of the links work.. Where can I join a current class action?

eileen wolfe

May 18, 2011

On 12-1-10, my dog Bailey was taken to Banfield in an emergency situation. He was in congestive heart failure. Since he was a member of their 'wellness plan', the staff had me sign a paper saying I would only be responsible for about a $500.00 estimate bill which signed. Many other things aside (left out), I wanted to take my 17 yr old dog home since I had oxygen there to give to him. They gave me a bill that exceeded $740 which I never signed before or even saw, and insisted I pay before they would give Bailey his much needed meds to reduce the fluids around his heart. The bill was well above the estimate I signed. I complained and they reduced it by a little bit saying they could charge up to 25% more which is in the fine print. It is 5-16-11 and I just received my very first bill for a $46 balance. I was told the rest wass waived by the vets office, from a collections dept. Now if I don't pay it, my credit report will be in jeopardy. Bailey passed on 1-23-11 as I took him to a different vet hospital and had him put down peacefully.

I am still paying for the monthly 'wellnesss plan till July 2011, even if he is dead. I am only thankful for the fact they refused to to have my mom's 17 yr old cat on the 'wellness plan' several years ago since her bloodwork showed posssible kidney issues. By the way, mom's cat is still alive and well. (maybe because they didn't want her as a client)

Wolf127

May 05, 2011

Took our cat in for a "simple" physical at Banfield Pet Hospital. During the procedure, they damaged both of his eardrums -- the cat could not walk, stand, eat or use sandbox. And, developed digestive problem as a result. Had to rush him to another another local vet, who has helped him, but his digestive problem is such that he is day-to-day.
Banfield, the local clinic or corporation, will not take responsibility for our pet's medical problems or for our out-of-pockets costs to try to satablize him. Gads, we are out $750 already. And how much more? And, they would not even allow us to cancell the "annual plan" until we pay up through to September ($100+). Jeez, is money al that matter to them, the "Treating Your Pet Like Family" corporation?

Blondie

May 03, 2011

I took my dog for some health problems. They talked me into the Wellness Program saying I would be saving immediately. When I went to check out, I was then told it wuold not apply to this visit. I went home and immediately cancelled. I also looked over the bill and they treated her for something other than what I brought her in for. I never went back. Then I am contacted from the Wellness Program stating I owed them money because of the contract, which I cancelled. It's a total rip off. Banfield needs to be shut down.

Patricia

Apr 20, 2011 Skillman, New Jersey

my cat was given a shot of conviena,He kept getting UtI infections He was only one and half years and had Lukemia.
one of the side effects from Conveinia are aniemia ....The Dr that gave him the drug said that there are VERY LITTLE SIDE EFFECTS. and was well aware that my cat had Lukemia... and was annemic to begin with...she took no blood tests or Urine from my cat and gave him the drug anyway.
she said she based my cats condition on her Mother's 10 year old cat that was healthy. I was floored. My cat kept getting more sick and after a week she retuned my 12 phone calls. lons story short my cat stopped walking his lukemia advanced and he died. her answer was Well her had lukemia anyway. sham on not so pet smart for having Banfield in there store.
I looked at the side effects they were unreal. no eating aniema possible death all sorts of stuff that I would not even give a person who had lukemia. Once this shot is given there is no going back.
I took my cat to another vet that gave my cat steroids and got him walking again but that didn't last...Yes HE WOULD HAVE DIED ANYWAY...However I may have had him a year longer
thank you banfield for killing my cat and the makers of the drug were no help saying its a good drug...Yet when I look this drug up no mention of giving it to a cat with UTI ONLY A SKIN INFECTION...well I was told by both Pfiezer as well as Banfield that they use it in Europe for UTI in cats well we are not in europe

Gandhi

Dec 22, 2010

My dog is permanently blind because of Banfield! I took him there because my regular vet was closed on a Sunday. He was diagnosed with diabetes and the office suggested I sign up for their wellness plan because he would need ongoing care and visits. My list of complaints include: Losing my dog's lab results, vet techs pushing unnecessary testing before I event saw the vet, seeing a different vet on every visit and getting different advice from each of them, prescribing the wrong amount of insulin for my dog, not giving me good options for food after my dog didn't eat the prescribed food, claiming they could not research food online because they have no internet in the office, ordering testing for cushing's disease when my dog did not have any symptoms of the disease, trying to convince me my dog was insulin resistant when in fact, they were not giving him enough insulin. After a month, my dog developed sever cataracts because of the untreated diabetes and I finally tried to cancel my plan. I dealt with the local office and corporate to no avail. They wanted me to pay off the plan or pay off the discounted services. Haven't I paid enough for their incompetency?
In the meantime, I called several vets for second opinions. Each and every vet told me the same thing, "You never should have taken your dog to Banfield. They put profits over people and their pets."
I took him to a vet who said, "No wonder your dog isn't getting better. Banfield only prescribe

1-20 of 40 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Banfield Pet Hospital.
Filing a new complaint about
×