Banfield Pet Hospital - Cannot Cancel Banfield Pet Wellness Plan

THIS PLAN IS A SCAM.The vet office personnel tells you that the plan can be cancelled at anytime but the corporate office advises you that you are roped into a one year contract.

We called back in June of 2011 to advise them that we were changing vets and wanted to cancel the plan. They quickly told us we were under contract until October 2011 to call back and cancel then. We did a follow-up call to cancel and was told it auto renewed. WHAT???

Auto renewed without our authorization!!

They are now sending us threatening letters that if we don't pay all the arrears to bring our plan up to date they will send it to collection.We don't even use Banfield as a vet anymore...this is ridiculous.

review #286396
63 47 Helpful?
Had the same issue15 Comments38
Had an experience with Banfield Pet Hospital?  Submit review about this company
Is it your business?
Respond to your customers as verified company representative.
Apply for free plan
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login

May 13 #983660

I took my dog into Banfield in Fort Collins,Co. He was real sick. They conducted test and told us to come back in a few days. Well, we didn't make it back, because he died. We asked to stop making payments, and was told we had to pay until the contract ended. I don't understand why they want to add more pain to an already painful situation..

fed up

Apr 20 #974345 Murfreesboro, Tennessee

They are as crooked as a politician. I canceled my pets and they are still billing me 4 months later. Luckily I recorded my calls and they were caught lying when I called to complain. Even with proof against them they still are fighting the refund.

Feb 18 #947448 Brandon, Florida

Same exact thing is happening to me! I do not recommend Banfield to any new pet owner. They have no real concern for your pet! All they care about is their freaking money.
Never again. DO NOT USE BANFIELD

Chris

Jan 22 #934819 Rancho Cucamonga, California

Such a ripoff, I put my pet on the wellness plan last August and all she got was the comprehensive checkup and blood work done. I authorized my mother to be able to pick up my pet while i am at work and they made it so that she is the primary account holder. My pet, my credit card but yea i want someone else controlling the account, sure banfield whatever you say. The treatment for my pet according to them was over 500 and now if i want to cancel before the year is up i have to pay a balance of almost 300, for insurance i never use. Total ripoff do yourself a favor and don't ever sign up a pet for this wellness plan, it covers nothing. Sure i can take my pet in whenever i want but when she needs anything at all I pay for it at a "discount".

GLORIA

Jan 05 #926137

MY PET DIED IN OCTOBER AND THEY STILL WERE COLLECTING PAYMENTS. WHEN I CALLED TO CANCEL MY PLAN THE CUSTOMER SERVICE PERSON TOLD ME THAT IT WAS PLAN AND NOT INSURACE BECAUSE I USED IN BEGINNING 2014 THIS PLAN IS ONLY TO GIVE YOU DISCOUNT. HE HAD NO COMPASION WHEN TOLD HIM THAT MY HAD DIED. HE SAID IT'S A BUSINESS .

fliptopbox

Oct 25, 2014 #890595

While I have never really had any bad experiences with Banfield offices or their vets/staff I am not looking forward to canceling the Wellness Plan I had for my now deceased dog. It auto-renewed in September and here it is only October and I can guarantee he won't be using any other vet services....and he literally has had no services since May, beyond the euthanasia yesterday and some minor diagnostic bloodwork. Which I paid for. So if they are going to try and tell me I need to pay them for the rest of the year over *** services that were never used I am going to be extremely angry. I will also be letting my bank know from now on to no longer allow them to debit my account. They can't charge me for services I never used, contract or no contract.

Sep 29, 2014 #877174

I hope you learned your lesson to read what you sign.

weezie

Feb 24 #950232 Sunnyvale, California

I read what I signed plus asked for clarification on several points. I was told that if the pet died during the year I would still be responsible for paying out the contract. I got that. I asked if this was a plan that automatically renewed and was told I would be contacted ahead of my renewal date about renewal options. Nope did not happen and they did renew on a month to month basis even though I had told the office I was not renewing...and no one mentioned I needed to call corporate to cancel. My bad was not doing an online search to make sure. It is now canceled and I have contacted my bank to make sure that the draw is no longer taken. The problem is that the plans have too many Clinton phrases written into them...say one thing but actually mean something totally different. Example: The plan "includes worming"..no parenthesis stating any exceptions. When my girl needed worming, it was not covered as she had an unusual type. Never knew whip worms were all that unusual and it seems that the phrase "includes worming" only meant the physical process of worming and round worms...not the medications for any other. And yes, I did ask before I signed and I am the one who gave her the meds not them. Not all about the plans are bad but it is the phrasing interpretation, not prescribing without a repeat of tests that had already been negative, trying to pad the bill with things not included or needed....this I have a problem with.

Queenmum

Sep 20, 2014 #872945

I just had the same issue w/Banfield. They are telling me that my contract was automatically renewed in June (it is now September) and that I have to continue paying on a "yearly contract" until next June. It was explained to me that I am not paying for "insurance", but I'm paying for the "yearly contract." I am told that I have to continue paying these people for another 9 months. This is *** and something that is not clearly explained when taking out the insurance. I'm sure it's in some small print somewhere, but it is never emphasized in print or verbally. Also, the renewal is automatic and I did not receive correspondence informing me of the automatic renewal date coming up along with the option to cancel at that time.

LARRY

Aug 05, 2014 #851688

Is Banfield Vet now out of business?

annoyed

Jul 25, 2014 #845838

Totally true & they really don't care abt ur pet bc I'm Startg to believe they don't care abt ur pet but only money !!
Even afr they done surgery that might have lead to what happened to it baby !!
I suggest u go elsewhere possible fr the best of ur baby's care !!!

badbanfield

Jul 22, 2014 #844124

They have done the same to me as well, It automatically renewed my dog to an adult plan from the puppy plan. At the last appointment of my puppy plan I told the lady at the counter that I did not want to renew to an adult plan and she said that they would take care of it. Come to find out 6 months later they have been charging me. When I called the hospital and informed them they said that they are not able to cancel the plan and I had to call and get it cancelled. It is just ridiculous. I have cancelled my credit card and gotten a new one. Banfield is really the worse thing that could have happened to a pet owner. I would never recommend them. I plan on taking it public with a lawyer since I have plenty in my circle.

Hulkster

Apr 03, 2014 #801508

This is what you do. Call your credit card company and tell them to either credit your account or you will cancel the card immediately. If they won't do that then cancel the card and get another credit card. Also, go to a lawyer and tell them you want to sue banfield for the monies you paid to a paln you never used and that they auto-renewed with out your permission.
If enough of us do this they will either cahnge or go out of business, I prefer the latter.
A longtime pet owner

Sue

Nov 14, 2013 #742678

Well lets call it what it really is. I'm with banfield and although I dont care for them and will be canceling my plan. Its more to do with the way over priced medicine. I have found more reasonable rates. But its not really a scam in less both parties agree and sign a contract but one party does not follow through on the agreement. In banfields case they followed through with everything in the contract you signed. If you had read the contract before you signed it or asked to read it then you would have realized it cant be canceled before the renewal period or you pay all of what you saved on the plan back. Secondly you would have also read that you can call ahead and have them discontinue the renewal plan but you have to continue you paying your monthly fee until that period. After speaking with them and having the renewal canceled and they do in fact renew it and try to charge now you have a scam because they did not follow through with your agreement. Hope everyone has learned a lesson and read their contracts next time before they sign...... :grin

1 0 Reply
Florida

Oct 07, 2013 #726592

Their customer service sucks. I've been trying to remove my cat from my ex-husbands policy and i can't get a hold of them. Banfield gave me the corporate service and when i called, they gave me another number to call. This other number never has anybody to answer for cancellation. It was ridiculous when i called today and the message was that they were closed and business hours start at 6am pacific time... But when i called it was 10:30 am pacific time. I called the other number again and they were rude. I am about to cancel my card and reissue a new one just to avoid being charged again.

1 0 Reply

Oct 04, 2013 #725360

Satisfied so far!!! I just called Bandfield to make sure they do not auto renew my plan. I was on hold for about 30 minutes, but I talked to a wonderful representative that was very helpful. She assured me that my plan would not auto renew. I asked for a reference number, and she sated that they do not have reference numbers, but that I could use her name and todays date. I'm going to call my bank to make sure that they block the payments after November 21st just incase. Bandfiled has provided us with excellent services, and everything they have explained to me has been truthful. I am very pleased with them. :)

1 2 Reply
Kay

Jul 13, 2013 #679648 Merrillville, Indiana

had the same thing happen to me, and when i called to make a payment a day after it was due they charge me a $30 late fee. I was so furious that i spoke to the manager and told him if he didnt remove it i was calling a lawyer. Because it clearly states that it has to be 30 days late not 30 hours. This place is ridiculous i will never do this again. O and if they says it auto renewed then speak with a manager because they record your conversations so if you said not to and they did u can sue they're *** too!!!

k

Jul 11, 2013 #678460 Conyers, Georgia

Scam! I just tried to cancel myself, you definitely got to read that contract closely!

0 1 Reply
jasonsutton36

Mar 05, 2013 #618490 Evansville, Indiana

This is a scam. They auto renew your credit card not just month to month but year to year. They will not call you to let you know they are renewing your new yearly plan it will just show up on your statement. Once it renews the buy out is $215.00. I just went thru this. I chose the buy out because I can not trust the vet if a company is going to do business like this. I would not recommend Banfield to anyone.

Brian

Feb 25, 2013 #614124

I had this same problem years ago so I just kept using them. Now, after having yet another bad experience, I am going to cancel. This "auto renew" contract does not seem legit. I recommend writing a letter and sending it Certified mail to explain the reason for canceling your contract. I also plan on canceling my credit card so they cannot charge me.

1-20 of 38 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Banfield Pet Hospital.
Filing a new complaint about
×