Banfield Pet Hospital - Cannot Cancel Banfield Pet Wellness Plan

Issue not resolved
Jan 04, 2012
review #286396

THIS PLAN IS A SCAM.The vet office personnel tells you that the plan can be cancelled at anytime but the corporate office advises you that you are roped into a one year contract.

We called back in June of 2011 to advise them that we were changing vets and wanted to cancel the plan. They quickly told us we were under contract until October 2011 to call back and cancel then. We did a follow-up call to cancel and was told it auto renewed. WHAT???

Auto renewed without our authorization!!

They are now sending us threatening letters that if we don't pay all the arrears to bring our plan up to date they will send it to collection.We don't even use Banfield as a vet anymore...this is ridiculous.

c0f8632
Had an experience with Banfield Pet Hospital?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
fliptopbox

Oct 25

While I have never really had any bad experiences with Banfield offices or their vets/staff I am not looking forward to canceling the Wellness Plan I had for my now deceased dog. It auto-renewed in September and here it is only October and I can guarantee he won't be using any other vet services....and he literally has had no services since May, beyond the euthanasia yesterday and some minor diagnostic bloodwork. Which I paid for. So if they are going to try and tell me I need to pay them for the rest of the year over *** services that were never used I am going to be extremely angry. I will also be letting my bank know from now on to no longer allow them to debit my account. They can't charge me for services I never used, contract or no contract.

Sep 29

I hope you learned your lesson to read what you sign.

Queenmum

Sep 20

I just had the same issue w/Banfield. They are telling me that my contract was automatically renewed in June (it is now September) and that I have to continue paying on a "yearly contract" until next June. It was explained to me that I am not paying for "insurance", but I'm paying for the "yearly contract." I am told that I have to continue paying these people for another 9 months. This is *** and something that is not clearly explained when taking out the insurance. I'm sure it's in some small print somewhere, but it is never emphasized in print or verbally. Also, the renewal is automatic and I did not receive correspondence informing me of the automatic renewal date coming up along with the option to cancel at that time.

LARRY

Aug 05

Is Banfield Vet now out of business?

annoyed

Jul 25

Totally true & they really don't care abt ur pet bc I'm Startg to believe they don't care abt ur pet but only money !!
Even afr they done surgery that might have lead to what happened to it baby !!
I suggest u go elsewhere possible fr the best of ur baby's care !!!

badbanfield

Jul 22

They have done the same to me as well, It automatically renewed my dog to an adult plan from the puppy plan. At the last appointment of my puppy plan I told the lady at the counter that I did not want to renew to an adult plan and she said that they would take care of it. Come to find out 6 months later they have been charging me. When I called the hospital and informed them they said that they are not able to cancel the plan and I had to call and get it cancelled. It is just ridiculous. I have cancelled my credit card and gotten a new one. Banfield is really the worse thing that could have happened to a pet owner. I would never recommend them. I plan on taking it public with a lawyer since I have plenty in my circle.

Hulkster

Apr 03

This is what you do. Call your credit card company and tell them to either credit your account or you will cancel the card immediately. If they won't do that then cancel the card and get another credit card. Also, go to a lawyer and tell them you want to sue banfield for the monies you paid to a paln you never used and that they auto-renewed with out your permission.
If enough of us do this they will either cahnge or go out of business, I prefer the latter.
A longtime pet owner

Sue

Nov 14, 2013

Well lets call it what it really is. I'm with banfield and although I dont care for them and will be canceling my plan. Its more to do with the way over priced medicine. I have found more reasonable rates. But its not really a scam in less both parties agree and sign a contract but one party does not follow through on the agreement. In banfields case they followed through with everything in the contract you signed. If you had read the contract before you signed it or asked to read it then you would have realized it cant be canceled before the renewal period or you pay all of what you saved on the plan back. Secondly you would have also read that you can call ahead and have them discontinue the renewal plan but you have to continue you paying your monthly fee until that period. After speaking with them and having the renewal canceled and they do in fact renew it and try to charge now you have a scam because they did not follow through with your agreement. Hope everyone has learned a lesson and read their contracts next time before they sign...... :grin

Florida

Oct 07, 2013

Their customer service sucks. I've been trying to remove my cat from my ex-husbands policy and i can't get a hold of them. Banfield gave me the corporate service and when i called, they gave me another number to call. This other number never has anybody to answer for cancellation. It was ridiculous when i called today and the message was that they were closed and business hours start at 6am pacific time... But when i called it was 10:30 am pacific time. I called the other number again and they were rude. I am about to cancel my card and reissue a new one just to avoid being charged again.

Oct 04, 2013

Satisfied so far!!! I just called Bandfield to make sure they do not auto renew my plan. I was on hold for about 30 minutes, but I talked to a wonderful representative that was very helpful. She assured me that my plan would not auto renew. I asked for a reference number, and she sated that they do not have reference numbers, but that I could use her name and todays date. I'm going to call my bank to make sure that they block the payments after November 21st just incase. Bandfiled has provided us with excellent services, and everything they have explained to me has been truthful. I am very pleased with them. :)

Kay

Jul 13, 2013 Merrillville, Indiana

had the same thing happen to me, and when i called to make a payment a day after it was due they charge me a $30 late fee. I was so furious that i spoke to the manager and told him if he didnt remove it i was calling a lawyer. Because it clearly states that it has to be 30 days late not 30 hours. This place is ridiculous i will never do this again. O and if they says it auto renewed then speak with a manager because they record your conversations so if you said not to and they did u can sue they're *** too!!!

jasonsutton36

Mar 05, 2013 Evansville, Indiana

This is a scam. They auto renew your credit card not just month to month but year to year. They will not call you to let you know they are renewing your new yearly plan it will just show up on your statement. Once it renews the buy out is $215.00. I just went thru this. I chose the buy out because I can not trust the vet if a company is going to do business like this. I would not recommend Banfield to anyone.

Brian

Feb 25, 2013

I had this same problem years ago so I just kept using them. Now, after having yet another bad experience, I am going to cancel. This "auto renew" contract does not seem legit. I recommend writing a letter and sending it Certified mail to explain the reason for canceling your contract. I also plan on canceling my credit card so they cannot charge me.

TickedConsumer

Feb 21, 2013 Dallas, Texas

My story is much the same as all of yours. My membership auto renewed and I can cancel it, but have to pay the remainder of the membership in full if I cancel. The email address I have used for them is wellnessplanrelations@banfield.net

They have provided me with a copy of my contract as well as the 'fine print' on the contract.

jen

Jan 23, 2013 Jacksonville, North Carolina

Omg they told me the same thing it sounded so good. "we could cancel anytime...now its almost a yr and we want to cancel that thing and we cant even get through on the phone. I try calling and they put me on hold for 30 min i call again and on hold once again. im afraid they will do the same thing to me. Plus i have both my dogs enrolled in that ***. My husband and I dont even want to take our dogs to banfield anymore :/.

Susan

Oct 16, 2012

My dog was diagnosed by Banfield with a sinus infection. His records clearly stated he had a heart murmur. Their vet prescribed an antibiotic they had a fine print side affect of heart failure in dogs with a heart issue. My dog died but not before I rushed him to Banfield only to be told the vet wasn't available. I then rushed to an emergency vet where he died that day. The emergency vet bill was $900.00. Now they want the last 3 months premium although the dog clearly isn't available to receive any additional services AND their vet killed our dog. The corporate office was rude and kept stating read the first page of your contract. The contract stated services would be provided and they weren't. I have closed my checking account to prevent further withdrawals and I plan to take them to small claims court for the emergency vet. BUYER BEWARE THEY SUCK!

BlinsidedbyBanfield

Jul 22, 2012

Wow! Really wished I would have googled Banfield before I signed up for this plan. It really does not cover anything as I have learned because everytime I would bring my JoJo in, I would have to pay for something out of the pocket. Anyway, I was told one thing when I signed up and am now noticing that they are taking approximately $40.00 extra dollars out of my account without my permission. Let's just say I am pissed. I have bills to pay and my money is tight. Gonna try calling this number again, hopefully i get a response....... :((

jeff

Jul 16, 2012

just call your credit card company, tell them the card was stolen, they close your acct. send you new card/acct # .... any auto pays on OLD card are NOT GOING THRU. and the new card ... they don't have acct number and they can't get paided w/o it.

Me

Jun 26, 2012

NonoNanette, you are not bound by a cotract if the other party is not holding up their end of the deal. For exapmple, i your cell phone company doubles your rate and every one of your call is dropped, you every right to cancel it.

1-20 of 32 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Banfield Pet Hospital.
Filing a new complaint about
×