Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

Banfield Pet Hospital in Escondido, California - Banfield The Pet Hospitals

I have been a loyal customer to Banfield for 8 years. We have been to 5 different Banfield hospitals. I've always had a positive experiences until I moved to Escondido, CA and went to the hospital on Escondido Blvd. First, the service is not up to par with other hospitals. But the issue is them raising my wellness plan without notifing me. I checked the services and nothing has been adding, so why do I need to pay more? Oh because in their "agreement" they are allowed to do that. The reason why the actually hospital doesn't deal with payment plans, is because they know people are pissed at their air tight "agreement". I've called the wellness payment number... they weren't any help. The guy was chicken because he called the number on file and not the number where we can easily be reached at, (which we left with an acutal person and on his voicemail.) They said they "try their best" to notify if the rate changes. I didn't get anything. They even said sometimes it happens and maybe it was the post office. After being a loyal customer, (I even recommended other pet owners to sign "agreements"), I would think they would give me back my original rate. Instead they say I can cancel if I pay out the rest of my year. That's not really cancelling if I'm still paying you. I would even pay a reduced fee, but they would not accept that. I posted my experience on every website out there including the fastest read. just check my status.

Unfortunately, you the consumer are 100% responsible for reading the terms and conditions of your contract. If you cannot read it for whatever reason, it is your responsibility to find someone who can.

"The reason why the actually hospital doesn't deal with payment plans, is because they know people are pissed at their air tight "agreement"."

First of all, this statement makes NO sense. Secondly, banfield DOES NOT deal with the plans at the hospital.

I worked there for 5 years so i know this for a fact. And if you cant take the time to read the agreement then dont sign up for the plan, its that simple!

@seriously?

Taking time to read an agreement is tough for most when there are pages and pages sometimes .... so generally we trust the ones we're dealing with after we are informed verbally of what the plan entails.

If you worked there for 5 years .... I'm glad you're gone.

Your attitude in this response alone doesn't make Banfield appear to be very caring and considerate in dealing with customers. You were rude.

@Ellen

Wellness plan agreement is 2 pages

@seriously?

Doesn't surprise me that your response is so mean-spirited since you claim to be a Banfield employee for 5 years. I've found that this is generally how it is ....

lots of bad attitude and a superiority complex from the staff who seem to think that they are doing us a favor to treat the pets that we pay to get treated. It's NOT that simple .... the staff should be courteous, polite, understanding and above all patient. Well, maybe above all ...

knowledgeable. When we have to deal with inept employees, it exacerbates stress all the way around.

Price increases are generally due to a national cost of living increase. Our cost for supplies (vaccinations, medications, etc.), facilities (rent, electric, water, etc.), etc.

has increased and therefore the increase in wellness plan prices is necessary in order for us to continue providing the best quality of care for pets.

We value your years as a Banfield client, and hope that you still see the value of your wellness plan and continue to partner with us for your pet’s care. If you wish to discuss the specifics of your wellness plan further or your experience at the Escondido hospital, please contact our Wellness Plan Relations Team again at WellnessPlanRelations@banfield.net.

View more comments (5)
Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Washington, District Of Columbia - First shield medication from Banfield Hospital

Hello, I am writing today to file a complaint against First shield Medication i purchased frm Banfield Hospital. I purchased this item on 10/14/2011 and it came in a blue pill bottle with the medication just like a prescription bottle. It came with no pamplet, nor any information about this product. I trusted this medication due this was from a veterinary hospital, so assuming this was safe and effective for my pet. I applied this single dose of flea medication to my pet around 6pm that night, around 7 pm my cat was going ballistic. He was jumping all over, furniture running through the house and on further inspection he was panting heavily, and I mean heavily, his eyes were extremely dialated. After googling this product, he was experiencing some of the same effects as of other stories shared by this product. I immediately drove him to the nearest pet hospital, which is an 1 hour away to VCA Southern maryland Hospital in waldorf, md. There i explained the symptoms, I had the bottle, the medication and print out of the stories with bad effects from FIRST SHIELD. At the hospital, they had to groom him and strip him of the product on his body, the TOTAL COST=$160.95 just because of this poison of flea medication that i purchased for him. I spent 15.00 on the product and wound up paying 160.95 for emergency services and 10.00 in gas. This product is harmful for pets, if i didnt rush him to the hospital i hate to think that he would have died from this medication. I would like Banfield to reimburse me for purchase and and a refund of services for my pet. If needed i have the receipts and diagnosis report from the hospital verifying this information given, I also still have the bottle and the original medication as well. They should not sell this product at all!!!!!!

This is a complaint for First Shield, not Banfield. They don't make the product. Also, any medication has a risk of producing some type of allergic reaction.

We're sorry to hear that your pet had an adverse reaction to the product. Banfield chose to recommend the FirstShieldâ„¢ line of products as our preferred preventive because of qualities such as a faster ability to kill fleas without needing them to *** the pet.

It also protects against a broader spectrum of parasites. There are several different types of flea preventives available on the market, and each one works in a slightly different manner. We feel that the decision on which flea or tick prevention is used should be a collaboration between you and your veterinarian, in order to help select the most appropriate product.

As with many products applied to a pet’s skin, there is the potential for your dog to experience irritation during or after the application, although this and other reactions are not very common. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please contact the FirstShield product support line at 877-872-3744.

Loss

Banfield Pet Hospital in Irvine, California - I'm shocked at what I'm reading

A few of my co-workers told me about how overpriced Banfield is and how they found other vet which were much cheaper. Out of curiosity, I Googled 'Banfield Reviews' and found this site. I have been with Banfield for almost 4 yrs now. I have always received good,caring service from them. During this 4 yrs I have had 4 different pets on the Banfield Insurance. When our kitten disappeared and we got a new kitten, they didn't charge us the 'sign-up' fee for the new kitten. One month when I was having financial problems, the people at the main office of Banfield Insurance waived our monthly fee without any consequences. Even if Banfield costs more than other vets I find it worth the monthly fee. There have been lots of times that I over reacted rushing Panda Bear to the vets thinking something was wrong and after the vet looked at her they told me nothing was wrong. There have even been times that the 'tech' has seen my daughter and I scraping pennies together to get treatment for Panda. Out of compassion they have performed a few, simple 'extra's' for us at no charge. From the experience I have had over the last 4 yrs, I cannot imagine anyone having anything bad to say about Banfield. I do hope Banfield will treat their own employees as well as they treat their customers and pets. Corporations need to develop a heart... I believe that change is coming with the Occupy Movement. Thank you for allowing me to share. Thank you Banfield for always giving our pets the very best care and keeping them healthy and happy. Panda Bear Arnold // Scruffy Arnold (Wendy Barnes)

;) I find the staff are very nice and they always try to fit my pets in. I have often had to wait a long time after I get there and I feel they squeeze too many in.

BUT at least we get seen. I dont approve of 12 hour shifts - especially for medical professionals because they get too tired and make diagnostic mistakes. I often feel like they are trying to "sell" services and possibly play on peoples' fears for what they love - but then the fear culture has been the American way for so long it will take a while for a kinder culture to evolve here.

Diagnostic skills are way too reliant on "tests" - doesn't anyone read James Harriott anymore? Vets and doctors in this litiguous country are all too afraid of the legal system to be honest with patients.....

there's the infamous "rule out" tests....where doctors do many unnecessary tests, that common sense tells them is ridiculous but they dont want to risk getting sued. It is all "buyer beware" in America.

Banfield is no exception.

All in all Banfield might come out a little ahead of some places. At the end of the day people just have to put up with what they can afford and be grateful for what they can get.

I'm also kind of shocked. My dog is 6 1/2 years old and we've only ever gone to Banfield, first in Columbia SC and now we go to the one in Millbury MA.

Never any problems at either location. The vets and techs we've seen have always handled my dog well and really seem to care about her well being. In fact, I really like(d) the vets and techs at both locations.

(the only complaint i have is about the new-ish receptionist in Millbury - she seems cold and uncaring about both people and animals and needs a lesson in customer service).

And I find the Wellness Plan really convenient - when my dog has hurt herself or gotten accidentally into some chocolate, i don't have to worry about if i have the money to pay for a vet visit.

Thank you for telling us about your positive experience at Banfield Hospitals and for trusting Banfield Hospitals with the care of your pets. We appreciate your business and for allowing us to help your pets live longer, healthier lives.

View more comments (2)
Review
i have two pet rats that i bought from Petsmart almost 3 years ago. now i take really good care of my boys and use the vet office in the store since no vets around here take "pocket pet" i would love to know how my mother takes a dog and 8 puppies to the vet for shots...

You are paying for the appointment TIME, not the size or weight of the pet. Would you expect a Vet to charge less for a toy poodle Vs a normal sized dog?

Should a cat appointment cost less than a dogs appointment? Obviously not. The only thing in Vet medicine that is size/weight dependent is the costs of medications.

Otherwise there is normally a minimum charge per appointment that a Vet must earn in order to pay for their salary, their nurses salary, their receptionists salary, their hospital rent/mortgage, their utilities, their equipment (bloodwork machines, x-ray machines, white goods) and the medications they stock.

I applaud you for taking care of your pets, but please don't be naive enough to think that owning an exotic pet should entitle you to discounts based on their size.

Review
I took my dog there to have her looked at because she was vomiting and had blood in her stool. She was diagnosed with Parvo. They quoted me $1000.00 for a 4 day stay with IV meds and gave me the option to do out patient care for her where they would do subcutaneous...

When we first got our puppy (his mama was a stray and had a big litter of pups),he had huge worms, and was very sick with that. Once that was taken care of, he developed Parvo, before we could get him in for his puppy shots.

It was our fault for not getting him there sooner, so paying $600 to get him well instead of him having the vaccinations was our punishment. He survived and was the best dog the world has ever known, and lived to be over fourteen years old. No dog we have had since that time has gotten Parvo, and all of them have been strays that somehow found their way to us, including that first puppy's mama, who was also the best dog the world has ever known.

Always at least get your pets vaccinated and monthly heartworm treatments.

Banfield has a pet plan that you pay by the month. It makes pet health maintenance easier to afford. If you can't do that, find a good vet who won't charge a fortune for visits. Get them spayed or neutered, which is also a good thing for male dogs health.

They have low cost spay/neuter clinics.

They can give them their shots, too, when you taken them in for spay/neuter. I paid just over a hundred dollars for one dog to get neutered and all his shots.

Banfield Pet Hospital in Fremont, Indiana - Check up

Me and my boyfriend just adopted our first dog together and recieved a wellness check up since we did the adoption at petsmart. I understand on a wellness check up they didn't get paid but the check in lady was awfully rude, then I felt like they didn't care about my dog. We were going to do the 6 months heart won shot but because the service was so terrible I didn't want to pay any money or bring him back. I can't see taking my dog somewhere like here. The vet didnt even introduce herself. It took place on 10.16.11, this experience sucked all around. I won't be taking my dog back to the Evansville location.

I took my new puppy to banfield vet....I felt they were more interested in selling there package than the puppy....My cocern was the flea...they stated to small for treatment but not to small to start on all kinds of vaccines....instead it was treated for worms....which I wish I would have declined .....I felt I was over charged for a lack of treatment....not use to this type of vet....I have another dog that goes to another vet....thought I would start this puppy closer to home....never going there again....thank you for nothing ..... :cry

Thank you for providing this feedback. We apologize that your visit to one of our hospitals did not meet your expectations.

It is our mission to provide our clients and their pets with high quality medicine and exceptional client experiences on every visit.

We are currently unaware of this situation and we want to make sure we acknowledge your concerns. To discuss this further please give our Client Advocate Team a call at 877-500-2288 so we can gather more information.

Banfield Pet Hospital in Los Angeles, California - Banfield Wellness Plans

I use, and will continue to use, Banfield's wellness plan(s). On June 1st, 2011 I adopted a female Yorkie puppy from a breeder in Indianola, IA. My puppy was very, very healthy. I immediately took her to Banfield and signed her up for her little doggy HMO plan. We travelled over 48 states and Canada in an 18 wheeler, where my puppy was exposed to many different environments, each having its own set of healthiness issues. Banfield knew this, and every time we would go in for a visit (anywhere in the country) it was noted in her medical file; shots received, weight, etc. Because of the fact that we travelled in an 18 wheeler, never knowing which city we'd be passing through in the weeks to come, Banfield pulled-out all the stops and always (and I mean ALWAYS) made room for little Piper without an appointment. We were always treated with the highest respect, Piper was always welcomed as though she owned the place, and I was briefed verbally and in writing on the procedures that had been rendered on that visit. Without fail, Banfield even called on the evening of the visit, as well as the next day to check on Piper. Unfortunately, a day short of her 6-month birthday, while we were at home, Piper darted out the front door and before I could catch her, she ran out into the street and into the path of a golf cart (we live in a golfing community) and was killed. Banfield handled all the final arrangements (including the immediate cancellation of the monthly charge for the wellness plan)with the highest of professionalism; which was good because I was a proverbial basket case. I am single and Piper was all I had in the world. In fact, she WAS my world. I have contacted Pipers breeder and have made arrangements to adopt two little female puppies from Pipers bloodline. As with Piper, I will immediately take them to Banfield for their initial enrollment in the wellness plan. I have no doubt that, as with Piper, they will be treated with the same kindness and welcome spirit. How unfortunate it is that some people have had a bad experience and have 'spun' it on this site. I can well understand how they would wish to lash-out; grief has a way of transforming our personalities into someone we're not. I know, I've just been there. However, I just can't stand-by quietly and allow the negative comments to continue so unbalanced. Yes, Banfield's wellness plan is expensive - but not when you look at the entire package. Could Banfield do a better job of marketing their product? Yes, and they could start by drafting as comprehensive (as possible) list of things that are not covered - like a list of disclaimers on an insurance policy. Could the consumer do a better job? Yes, by understanding that Banfield is not offering 'pet restoration' in their plan - it's about pet health maintenance. As to their being out to make a profit - uh... yea... that's the idea of going into a business, isn't it? As to Banfield vets and staff not caring about your pet's well-being - please, give me a break!

I too have had positive experience with Banfield. Was just disappointed there were not MORE locations near me in the rural areas. Seriously considering return although vet is 2 hours away.

Yorkie Daddy -Thank you for telling us about your positive experiences at Banfield Hospitals and for sharing your opinion. We are sorry about the loss of Piper and hope you are doing well.

We appreciate your business and are looking forward to meeting your two news Yorkies. Thank you for trusting Banfield Hospitals with the care of your pets and for allowing us to help pets live longer, healthier lives.

Banfield Pet Hospital in Thurmont, Maryland - First shield doesnt work

First Shield sold at Banfield in petsmart doesn't work, after treating my dog and several indoor cats, 3 weeks ago, I took my dog to be groomed and the groomer and I found out that my dog was infested with fleas, after spending 70 dollars 3 weeks ago, I just spent 150 more dollars on frontline plus.I was told if you have a complaint, call the manufacturer, I will never shop at petsmart again !!! I now have to treat all my pets again, and treat my carpet and drapes, because I was told that they lay their eggs in the carpet upholstery, and drapes.

If you have cats then you should NEVER treat your dog with First Shield as it is toxic to cats.

I've always used Banfield and the flea medications they provide, three different brands because each location I've been to differs on which one they carry. That said I have never had a problem with fleas once I've treated both pets in my house, matter of fact it even works when I visit a friends house that is always infested, my dogs don't leave with anything.

There are multiple reasons your flea treatments may not have worked, but more than likely none of them are Banfield's fault or the manufacturers fault.

Banfield understands your frustration in dealing with an environmental flea infestation. It is important to realize that the fleas you see on your dog and cat are adult fleas and only represent a small fraction (5%) of the entire flea population.

The remaining 95% are in the immature stages within the environment. Female fleas can lay approximately 50 eggs/per flea/per day directly onto your pet’s skin! These eggs quickly roll off your pet into the house, pet bedding or yard. Over the next 21-90 days, the egg will mature from larvae and then the larval form develops into an adult flea within the pupal cocoon.

The pupae then hatch and the new adult fleas immediately jump onto your pet and begin the process again. (This delayed emergence is called “the pupal window effect” and can occur anywhere from 10 days to several months after initiating treatment.) For this reason it is not uncommon to see fleas on a recently FirstShield-treated pet. For more information on the flea life cycle and flea control, please visit the following websites sponsored by the Companion Animal Parasite Council: www.capcvet.org and www.petsandparasites.org.

To effectively treat a flea problem, it is advised to treat every pet in your home with flea preventive, every 30 days for a minimum of 3 consecutive months, (experts recommend monthly treatment all year) and also to focus on the environment. If you would like to discuss your concerns, please contact the FirstShield product support line at 877-872-3744.

Maybe your house was already infested with fleas. My son house he just rented was infested with fleas.

The land lord had it defleaed n son used firstshield trio on his dog no more flea trouble. Just like human lice u need to vaccum every day

View more comments (3)
Loss

Banfield Pet Hospital in Houston, Texas - Lied to and hung up on

The day before yesterday my cat started throwing up, since yesterday it continued I told my husband we should take him to a vet, I went online and decided we should use the Banfield hospital because it was close to us and also because I read about the wellness plans and how they covered visits and procedures, I told my husband that once he got there to ask about signing up for one of the plans since it would save on cost and also so we could just take our pet there from now on. My husband text me from the place and told me that he was advised that the plan ONLY covered vaccines and that it wouldn't cover any procedures that were being done that day, so he decided not to get it since he wasn't sure how much the visit would be. He ended up paying $500 just to be told that we had to bring our pet to a hospital since the x-ray came back and he seems to have swallowed a piece of wire. When my husband got home I looked at the receipt and discovered that all the procedures would have been covered by the wellness plan, in fact the receipt itself stated that we would have saved over $200 had we signed up for the plan! I called right away and started explaining the situation to the first person that picked up, she right away started saying the same thing my husband was told, that the plan doesn't cover anything else but vaccines so it wouldn't have helped, I explained to her that this information is incorrect since all the items listed are also listed as being part of the plan, and that the receipt stated that we could have saved money, she then proceeded to make believe like she could no longer hear me and hung up the phone. I called again and got another person on the phone (the woman my husband had initially talked to) I advised her of the issue and since she couldn't use the excuse that these procedures were not covered under the plans, she then just told me that my cat had to be well to go on the wellness plan? and that's why it would have covered nothing, I then asked her how that would make sense when I could have applied for it online, also my cat is healthy except for having eaten a foreign object, their report even stated that he is in excellent condition. She then pretended like she couldn't hear me and also hung up on me, the first time I could have looked it over but the second time I called from another phone so I can't looked over being hung up on twice! Lastly if this was the real reason then how come this was not mentioned until the end, wouldn't they have stated from the beginning that a cat has to be "well" to go into the wellness plan, then again wouldn't they have to check every animal first before being able to signed them up since they don't know if they are "well" beforehand. They just lied so we would have to pay full price for everything, I'm calling banfield today to complaint, and adding this complaint to every site I can find, I could have taken my cat somewhere else but figured this wellness plan would be good so we could keep bringing him there, now I'm $500 short and my cat is still sick.
#362020

Was your pet well cared for? Did they adequately diagnose your pets problem?

If so, I'm not sure where your complaint is going? Had you taken him to a private vet, you would have probably paid the same amount for the same diagnosis.

If you're mad cause your coupon didn't work then I'm sorry, but at the end of it all they told you why your cat was sick.

My real question is, did your cat get the care it needed to remove the wire?

Ciarajh- Thank you for providing this feedback and for bringing this to our attention. We apologize that your visit to one of our hospitals did not meet your expectations.

We are currently unaware of your situation and I do want to make sure we acknowledge your concerns. First we need to gather more information, to discuss this further please give our Client Advocate Team a call at 877-500-2288.

first of all I do agree with you on that there are some things that would have been covered by a wellness plan ie blood work,urine and office visit. However it is wise that a pet be well before enrolling on a plan.

the reason being is that if hypothetically you enrolled your cat on a wellness plan and it ended up passing away,you would be stuck with paying out the rest of the years monthly payments or pay for the services you used on the plan. this is becasue the wellness plan is a contract and you are contracted for 1yr. so in the end you would be paying out more if something happended to your cat God forbid if you enrolled on the plan.

I do think that the Banfield you went to did not relay this info to you or your husband in an effort to clesr up the misunderstanding. I work for Banfield as a nurse and I do feel for you, I wouldnt want to be treated like that either.

First off, it sounds like the location you went to did a very poor job of communicating and explaining the Optimum Wellness Plan (OWP) to you. They are solely at fault for that and are fully to blame. OWPs are Banfield's meat and potatoes. They are the reason Banfield has not struggled as much as other private vets during these tough economic times. Therefore, Banfield wants to sign as many pets up as possible on their OWPs. If the doctor chose not to sign up your pet, I'm sure he or she had a good reason for doing so. It sounds like they should have, however, done a better job of explaining why.

A big problem with Banfield is that it is a national chain, owned by a large corporation. Thus, some locations are better than others, mostly depending on the staff running them. I was fortunate in that I worked for an excellent location that was run by great vets and a top-notch staff. We considered ourselves to be one of the better locations in our area that has about 12 different locations, knowing full well that there were some less than stellar ones out there. I always strived to communicate with my clients and explain things as thoroughly as possible so as to try to prevent situations like yours from occurring.

It is true that you can call the national customer service number or go online and sign up for a plan that way as well. The parent company will do anything to bring in more revenue. That was always a large source of frustration for those of us actually running the hospitals because the company will sign up pets without examining them as we would. For those of us on the ground, it is left to our discretion who we will and will not sign up. And believe me, we would sign up nearly every client who wanted to. If we chose not to, then there had to be something very wrong with the pet.

The OWPs are not "pet insurance" as many people come in believing, but rather preventative care plans that are designed to keep your pet healthy. They cover vaccines and routine tests as well as give free office visits (all of which can save you a lot of money). If your pet is deemed unhealthy for whatever reason (and yes, having a foreign body causing an intestinal blockage makes them unhealthy because their chance of dying in the near future becomes significantly greater), that becomes much more difficult. The main reason they do not want to sign up an unhealthy pet is because when you sign up, you sign a contract saying that you will commit to paying for this plan for at least the next year. If your pet dies in that year for whatever reason (unless it's blatantly Banfield's fault), you're still on the hook for paying for that plan. I imagine that if you had signed up your cat and it then died in surgery, you'd not want to have to pay out several hundred dollars over the course of the next year for a pet you no longer have.

Banfield's surgical services are set up for routine surgeries (i.e. spays, neuters), so if your pet has something as severe as an intestinal blockage and needs emergency surgery, they're often not equipped to handle that and will refer you to a specialist who is. Either way, it is going to be very expensive surgery.

The plans do not cover procedures or medications but do give you a discount on them. They do cover some routine labs and tests. You didn't mention what tests they did on your cat, but I imagine they did some of the stuff that may have been covered by a plan in order to rule out more common issues before considering something as severe and less-likely as an intestinal blockage. X-rays are usually farther down the line of tests since they are expensive (no matter where you go) and often comeback normal.

In conclusion, I am sorry you had a bad experience with Banfield, but I urge you not to judge the entire company by one location. If your cat has had the issue corrected then I imagine they'd have no problem signing it up on an OWP. If you do not wish to, however, it is understandable. There are plenty of private vets out there who could also use your business right now.

You need to contact the corporate office and let them know your concerns and complain.Hopefully you are your husband have names of the employees you dealt with.The cost of the office visit and I am sure some of the other treatment to your cat would in fact be covered.The wellness plans are not insurance though. Depending on which plan you choice determines what treatments are included.

There is also a lot of variance between each Banfield location. I have been going to Banfield with my two dogs for 4 years, have them on a wellness plan and am very pleased with my savings, the Veterinarian and their staff.

Call! Good luck to you and your kitty!

View more comments (4)
Review
I TOOK MY DOG TO BANFIELD, I GOT WELLNESS PLAN WITH THEM SINCE 2008, I DROP HIM OFF TO GET HIM A ROUTINE CHECK OUT AND WHEN I CAME BACK TO PICK HIM UP THE LADIES CALLED ME IN THE BACK, MY DOG WAS BLEEDING AND THEY TOLD ME THAT ONE OF THE OTHER DOGS BUSTED OUT OF THE...

:cry Something like that happened to my yorkie yesterday.I would like to sue them but

I do not know how I can do it.Could you please give some advise? I am not american and I am feeling lost.Thank you so much.I am feeling frustrated.My email is magucha@juno.com. I did the same ,called the police,etc.Thanks