Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show

Banfield Pet Hospital in Washington, District Of Columbia - Banfield vet caused unnecessary suffering for my cat !

I took my cat to Banfield Clinic in Alexandria, VA on RT. 1 because he was having problems with his eye swelling and he was losing weight. I should say that I had been trying to contact our normal Vet but she was out of town on vacation. My geriatric cat was suffering so badly...it broke my heart to watch him. The Banfield vet performed unnecessary blood tests on him to the tune of $458.00 only to prescribe antibiotics for an eye infection. We kept the cat on the antibiotics regimin for a month until our regular vet came to our apartment ( we always had her come to our apt. because he would get so stressed out when we took him out of the apt. ) and checked his mouth. She said he had a cancer in his mouth and throat and that he was suffering terribly. Our Vet said that the Banfield vet was derelict in not checking BleuBleu's mouth and that, of course, it was up to us, but that he was not going to recover and was only going to get worse until he died. We made the decision to have her euthanyze him at that time. I will never forgive the vet at Banfield for causing us to force BleuBleu to suffer that month when there was no hope of his recovery. I don't care so much about the money for the unnecessary blood tests, although $458.00 is a lot of money to pay for unnecessary tests! The unforgivable act is that at his diagnosis and prognosis we allowed our precious boy to SUFFER horribly until our REAL vet actually LOOKED into his mouth and recognized his disease for what it was. POCKS on that "vet's" house ! Randy Watts

Sounds like Banfield alright. I took my dog that i just adopted to them because he was sneezing and lethargic and loads of nasal discharge.

They had me bring him in 3 days in a row, giving me a different diagnosis every day. On the third day, they convinced me to sign up for a wellness plan. not just any wellness plan, the most expensive one they have, because it covers x-rays. Later that day, they tell me he tested positive for parvo...something you'd think they'd have checked him for the first day when i told them his symptoms...but they waited til he was at deaths door to test for that.

They called me 3 hours later and told me he passed away.

Now i'm stuck paying for a *** wellness plan that they convinced me I needed, and i don't even have the dog. Banfield is a pathetic excuse for a hospital.

Banfield Pet Hospital

First of all, we are sorry for the loss of your pet. Thank you for your feedback and for bringing this to our attention.

We apologize that your visit to one of our hospitals has left you feeling this way, we are currently unaware of this situation and would like the opportunity to speak with you. Please call our Client Advocate Team at 877-500-2288.

View more comments (1)

Banfield Pet Hospital in Aurora, Colorado - Banfield in Lincoln CA is unethical

I have been a long time customer with both of my Labrador's (Blue who is nearly eight and lily who is one and a half) enrolled in Banfield's Wellness program since Blue was a puppy. We have accessed care across the Banfield network from San Diego, to Denver, to Lincoln, and back to Denver. In most cases we have been very pleased with the quality of care we have received. However, this all changed in May of 2011. Lily was diagnosed with knee problems and a Medial Patella Luxation Bilateral procedure was recommended and performed by a Banfield Doctor. Fast forward to July of 2011 and a Banfield Doctor tells us to seek an outside opinion as she has not progressed in her recovery. As we reached out to the Lincoln Banfield for an explanation and a possible solution, their behavior became boorish. They immediately stopped returning phone calls were curiously never available to discuss Lily's condition or how to remedy our unfortunate spot. Their only action on once the second diagnosis was made was to retain an attorney. They made this a legal matter, not me. Now they refuse to release her medical records. I ask, in good faith, to answer a question for me - how can the Lincoln clinic honestly say they met the standard of care? I recently took my car in for a repair to the air conditioner. They attempted to repair it, but within a week it was still not functioning. I called them back and they repaired it a second time for free. As a consumer, why would it be fair that I have now had to pay for the exact same surgery twice within four months of each other at an out of pocket cost of over $7,000? Thier advocacy tem's response "no comment". They won't even allow us out of our Wellness plan. What a scam; I feel badly for those emplyees that do try and do care, but this experience has been scaring to say the least.

Surgery is a little different than fixing an air conditioning. Sometimes the body just doesn't respond as we would hope.

They shouldn't have to pay for another one. Every surgery comes with risks and unknown outcomes.

However! They refuse to release records?

Are you telling the whole story? Because that's illegal - you have a right to your records.

Loss

Banfield Pet Hospital in Mountain View, California - Banfield vet unprofessional, unethical

Vet actually reprimanded a customer for speaking with me about our agreement that 6 mos. renewal of pet food Rx was excessive. He accused her of causing dissent! I was the one who was complaining that I didn't feel the need to bring in my healthy cat for a visit to get the Rx renewed. Still don't understand why Banfield can dictate how often my pet should be seen in order for them to renew Rx. I don't even use their pet services, I use PetSmart to get the food. Unprofessional, unethical (gave this other customer private information about my cat) and definitly uncompassionate. Would not recommend them...EVER.

Let me break it down for you Theresa - there are 2 possible reasons they won't run samples you bring in.

1) they prefer fresh samples. If stool hardens too much, it is almost impossible to test for inteststinal parasites. Also, urine has to be run almost immediately after collected, or refrigerated, or else crystals may form in the urine. Crystals are indicative of an abnormality in the kidneys or a UTI, so improper handling can result in false positives. Also, frequently owners will contaminate urine with bacteria since they don't know how to obtain a sterile sample.

2.) They aren't a laboratory. If you think something is wrong with your pet, they will want to do an exam. You can't just show up with a sample and say "run this" without an exam first.

I'm guessing you aren't on a wellness plan, that's why you just want to bring in a sample. You can't do that. You have to pay for an exam. Like I said, they aren't a lab. You have to pay for the Dr's expertise and development of a treatment plan.

Sorry, but you can't just tell people how to run their business. In terms of charging a hospitalization fee for collecting a urine sample - they shouldn't do this. They should charge you for an exam (if your pet is not on a wellness plan). Hospitalization should only be used for pets who are sick who need monitoring and treatment. If your pet was sick, why shouldn't you be charged hospitalization? Your pet is being monitored and taken care of, that takes time and $!

Anyway, wake up. Things don't come free.

Anyone that supports Banfield's practices either has stock in their company or works for them. They are HORRIBLE.

They used to be a good company (Have brought pets there for nearly 20 years)but within the last year I've seen a significant change. The last straw was when they said they would not use urine or stool samples I brought in to them. Funny as a human being our doctors will test samples brought to them.. but for pets that is not acceptable?

It is not acceptable because they can't figure out how to charge for that. Also, they wanted to charge me "hospitalization fees" to gather the sample.

What a ripoff organization!!! Thanks Banfield -- I'll find a nice ethical vet who doesn't work for a corporation instead.

Brunos mom - you get your pet's kidneys checked every 6 mo. That is why u get your food refilled.

Banfield has the same policy.

A pet has to have a visit every 6 months in order to ensure they still need it. Your post is irrelevant.

I never have to bring my dog in to see the vet to buy prescription dog food at my vet's office. That's ridiculous...he has bad kidneys...they are not going to get better...He goes every six month to get his kidneys checked....that's a scam if you have to have vet visit just to buy food...glad i don't use Banfield.

Banfield Pet Hospital

Thank you for your feedback and for bringing this to our attention. We apologize that your visit to one of our hospitals has left you feeling this way, we are currently unaware of this situation and would like to help. First we need to gather more information, please call our Client Advocate Team at 877-500-2288.

Are you freakin kidding me with this :roll

You don't understand why a VETERINARIAN should dictate how often your "healthy" pet should be seen in order to renew a Rx. :eek People like you make my job so fun.

Rx diets are Rx diets for a reason. Pets will need to be seen to determine if they still need that diet, if that diet is working for them, or if things need to change. Pet is on the Rx diet and it is called a Rx diet for a reason. Love to see you walk in to a pharmacy and just get a Rx with no prescription.

Yea that is going to happen. It would be unethical, unproffesional, and not to mention *** for the vet to just give you the meds.

The Vet could LOSE THERE LICENCE. What a ***.

You didn't feel the NEED to bring in your cat to get a refill on a PRESCRIPTION diet?

"Still don't understand why Banfield can dictate how often my pet should be seen in order for them to renew Rx." - Seriously??? I can't say that about my doctor!

What if I were to say "I don't understand why my physician can dictate how often I should be seen to get my prescription refilled." Are you KIDDING me?? It's a prescription diet!! You aren't a doctor, so someone has to "dictate" a standard of care. The reason why a pet needs check ups when on a Rx diet is because Rx diets can actually be dangerous to pets who don't have a need for them.

Usually Banfield requires that a pet be seen every 6 months or once a year (depending on the vet) in order to refill a prescription diet. If you aren't taking your pet to the vet twice a year anyway, you aren't being a responsible pet owner.

View more comments (6)

Banfield Pet Hospital in Winter Park, Florida - Banfield Dr Michael James

This Dr. James is a complete ***. I was going to the Downtown Fort Worth location for the other doctor that was working there, and I found out he was run off. My dog needed his yearly vaccines and I wanted to be there when he got them. Instead a nurse comes in a says she needs to take him to the back. I asked why and was told they are busy and the doctor doesn't have enough time to come into the room right then. I said I would wait for the doctor to come in and this nurse acts upset and I heard her cussing under her breath as she walked out. Finally this Dr. James walks in acting like it is a horrible imposition that he actually had to come into the room to see me and my dog. When I asked him what happened to the other doctor he started telling what a horrible person he was and how bad a vet he was. After this I had enough and left, because I had seen the other doctor several times and he was great, took time to answer my questions and concerns, and I recommended that clinic to several of my friends because of him and how nice he was and how great a doctor I thought he was. Unless something changes I will not bee taking my dog back there or ever recommending anyone go there.

he is horrible,,, about killed our dog when he was at another clinic. and offered apology or even a follow up.. BEWARE

My exprience is diferent than yours . Dr. James have ben the best one I have seen . His very professional and acurate when I got his services. Now I have to to know where he is because I have a sick puppy and I thrust him.

Vergara

If somedoby hear Dr. James email-me:

piettylord@me.com

On my daughters birthday I gave her 2 16 week old kittens one came down with a respiratory infection, and got really sick. When I took the kitty in he told me it was too far gone, and needed to be put down, I didn t know what to do.

He said it could have Fiv or leukemia. I thought it was the right thing to do. When the other kitten got sick I took her to a different clinic, the doctor put my kitten on antibiotics and hospitalized it. When I told her about the other kitten she was shocked.

She said there were things he could have done, or at least try. He didn t even tell me there was a test for FIV and leukemia. He doesn t care about his patients.

This is just a job to him. I hope this helps saves future lives.

|Edit|Delete

View more comments (2)
Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Richardson, Texas - Banfield - Downtown Fort Worth - Don't go!!!

I highly advise against going to this Banfield location. Dr. Michael James is completely two faced. He acts very nice in the room but I have been sitting in there several times and I heard him in the back yelling at his nurses or throwing what I would call a temper tantrum. My girlfriend took her dog in there one time and said she wouldn't go back because the whole time he was in there he stared at her chest and treated her like she was dumb. Even having a conversation with a few of the ladies that work the front I was told he treats women poorly. So I don't recommend going to him, especially if you are a woman.

Do not use Banfield Pet Hospital

DON'T GO TO BANFIELD! My dog had surgery at Banfield, tumor removal $600. He was not given antibiotics after the surgery. My dog scratched open one of the sutures two days after the surgery so we had to go back in and have the incision stapled shut $90. He again was not prescribed antibiotics. I took him in for his follow up appointment $130 and the vet told me the site has abscessed and they will have to do another surgery $500. All of this could have been avoided had the vet prescribed antibiotics $50 in the first place. What kind of a medical provider does major surgery and then does not provide antibiotics? BANFIELD. My dog is having the surgery today, I have little confidence and won't be surprised if I will be picking up a dead dog. DONT GO TO BANFIELD!
Banfield Pet Hospital

Kari1- We are currently unaware of this situation, would you mind calling our Client Advocate Team to help us better understand what happened? The number is 877-500-2288. We hope your dog is doing well.

Please for the animal's sake go to another vet, how could you keep going back. I went back to them twice on my animal and then went to another vet.

The end result was the animal needed to be put down because it was seriously ill.

Banfield took me for $1500.00, removed teeth and said she had ear mites. They are cruel and uncaring.

STOP taking your dog there if you're concerned that Banfield may cause his death!!! Please go to a vet who will take better care of your dog.

He's suffered enough with multiple painful surgeries.

You're the one who is supposed to protect your dog from pain and suffering, and taking him back to Banfield repeatedly sounds like it is hurting him. Your dog deserves better from you.

View more comments (2)
Review
With everything I have been please with at Banfield Pet Hospital, their Wellness plan model is lacking. If you plan on signing up for their Wellness Plan, DO NOT USE the "Add-On" of flea and tick prevention. At first look it seems great because the cost is lumped into...
Banfield Pet Hospital

Sjc04681, we understand your frustration and are currently unaware of this situation. Please call our Client Advocate Team so we can discuss this issue and better understand so we can help.

The number is 877-500-2288.

We can also discuss your plan options at this time. Thank you for being a loyal Banfield client and allowing us to care for your pet.

Review
Don't get me wrong, the doctors are great. It's the receptionist that irks me. I think her name is Stephanie. Whenever I call and mention emergency, she has a knack for putting you on hold. Today I told her my doxie was having issues wagging his tail and...

That is right many banfields are a one doctor hosptial. And if you are that worried and they can not get you in then you need to go to the emergency vet.

Banfield is NOT and emergency hosptital. They do NOT have the staff or equipment because they are NOT and emergency hospital. They would only be able to give pain meds, not going to be able to do emergency surgery. IF the docotor is in surgery.

What is she supposed to do leave the pet open for YOU.

And when and emergency comes in that can handle, there is an emergency fee because you are pushing other peoples appointments aside because again it is NOT an emergency hospital. :zzz

Review
I was out of town when I got a call from my girlfriend that our beloved dog, "Willie" was sick. He was lathargic, would not eat and running a fever. She took the pet into Banifield pet hosp in San Leandro, Ca, because that is where he received his immunization. The...
rx8pwrbttm

I had a vet at a banfield in Hagerstown maryland, that was proven by a peer review to have broken every protocol and used the wrong combination of drugs on my Shar-pei charlie on 6/19/15 that led to his death, their medical director told me this out of his own mouth. They also have a vet tech that released my financial information out on a public website, to which both these employee's are still employeed by this money hungry company.

Loss
After having issues with my cat still having fleas after using the First Shield medicine that Banfield sells (the only flea med they sell) I called them only to have the receptionist at the Medford, OR location tell me it was all my fault. That I wasn't doing something...

Omg yes the banfield flea and tick medicine sucks!!! I am so angry.

I have ways used front line and that always worked. They told me this was better - what a joke. My DPG still has fleas!! Made my cat sick!

I am so upset. Never again will I go to ban field again!