Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show

Banfield Pet Hospital in Dana Point, California - Banfield takes advantage of me and my pet again

I am an true animal lover. Purchased Banfield "Wellness" program for my dog Zoey several years ago. When my dog died (after spending thousands of dollars trying to keep her alive) Banfield insisted on billing me every month for several months, even though the dog was dead, because my contract did not run out until July. Yes, that 's right, I paid for wellness care for a dead dog. Now, 2 years later we are trying to find a home for our Golden retriever. We are losing our house due to the recession. My husband paid upfront for a year's worth of services for the dog, around 800.00. Just called Bansfield to make sure "wellness" program goes with the dog. Guess what??? Screwed again by Bansfield. Contract is only good when Dog is owned by us. Does that seem fair or like a company that is concerned about animal's well being, or does that seem like a company that is only concerned about profits?

Basically a wellness plan is selling a bunch of services together as a bundle at a deep discount. Therefore, should you cancel your plan (or your pet passes) before its expiration date, you either pay for the wellness plan or the difference between what you have paid and the full price of the services you used, WHATEVER IS CHEAPER.

So if you were being charged even though your pet died, it was because it was cheaper for you. Also, YOU need to call Wellness Services to cancel your plan - this is not done through individual hospitals.

Also, if you paid for the entire wellness plan upfront (as in you paid all 12 months upfront), you should just be able to add the new owner's name as an authorized owner to your account since there are no more payments to be made.

I think that the people signing up on the plans need to ask more questions. When I signed up, I asked so many questions.

Is it insurance?(no). What is covered and what is not covered? How long is the contract for? What happens if I have to cancel or my pet passes away?

People need to ask more questions and if the tech who is talking to you about it is unclear, ask for a manager. That is what they are there for. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

If the staff in the hospital is not clear, maybe the corporate office should know about that so they can be trained better. But, just because you didn't ask questions or you didn't understand something, is not the company's fault.

You continue to pay for the wellness plan because most of the services on the plan are used during the first 3-4 months of the year. Basically you are just making payments during the remainder of the year to pay off wht you have already received.

Its not like you are paying for a plan for a dead dog. Your dog already received the majority of wellness vaccines or exams or whatever.

anonymous3

I've read countless posts like yours. For the life of me I can't understand why people keep purchasing their wellness plans.

First of all, I think it's ridiculous that you should have to continue to pay for a pet that's deceased. Secondly, Why wouldn't the wellness plan stay in effect regardless of the owner? You're not trying to transfer the plan to a different dog, just a new owner. What a crock!

I'm just hoping that in the future if you decide to get another pet you won't purchase a Banfield package.

Good Luck!

Banfield Pet Hospital in Everett, Washington - Banfeild vets take your money

I went 5 months ago to have my dogs teeth cleaned, all was fine, they say they pulled 5 teeth although i can't tell it. they kept calling me during her surgery and asking for more money, making me feel bad, like she was suffering. afterwords i was told she was doing good (she is 16) then they wanted another cleaning today I was told now she has a heart murmur , previously the other 2 vets at the clinic have said she has a good steady heart and no problems that she was very healthy, now they are wanting me to take her to a cardiologest to have an exam and spend more money, each time I take her to them I am spending hundreds of dollars even though I am on thier advanced plan I still managed to spend over 1000 last year on one teeth cleaning, the one vet there always wants to do numerous things checking her for everything. I am going to now change vets I dont want my pet to have to be poked over and over trying new things on her, she is old and has always been healthy and I want her to finish the rest of her life in comfort..

Debinar,

We are very sorry that you were not happy with the care you received at Banfield. It is common for veterinary services to be recommended based on a pet's age and condition.

Ultimately, the decision to consent to recommended services is up to you, the pet owner, and we respect that.

If you feel that any of the services were provided without your permission, please feel encouraged to call us to discuss. Our number, which will direct to our Client Advocate Team, is 877-500-2288.

what banfield was this??

A 16 yr old dog that has a murmur? wow.

get your head out of your ***. IT's 16!!! of course *** is going to go wrong.

murmurs can pop up out of nowhere. if you don't want to pay put the dog down.

anonymous3

I adopted a 4 year old poodle from a rescue organization 2 years ago. When he came to them he had horrible teeth and a fractured jaw. After a thorough dental an external fixator was placed to allow his jaw to heal. It took almost 6 months and required constant antibiotics due to bone infection. Now, I have to have his teeth cleaned every 4 months due to his continued dental disease. Every time they're cleaned there are multiple extractions.

Unfortunately, dogs/cats are sometimes just prone to horrible dental issues. I'm not sure what your pets dental care was like prior to this dental last year, but a 16 year old dog that needs multiple extractions is not uncommon. In addition, the calls from your vet were for your consent. Had they pulled the teeth without your knowledge, that would have been an issue. Doctors can't perform a service without consent of the owner.

The fact that your 16 year old pet now has a heart murmur is not unheard of. Many pets can develop them and it's not uncommon to not hear one one year and then find it the next.

The cardiology consult seems to be a recommendation, and that is something that you need to decide if you'd like to pursue. However, if I were you, I wouldn't put my pet under anesthesia until I addressed the heart murmur in some way.

In regards to the vet that "Wants to check her for Everything?", isn't that what your paying them to do? They make recommendations based on their examinations of the pet, if you decide not to follow through.... that's on you.

Loss

Banfield Pet Hospital in Athens, Georgia - Bansfield Pet Hospital - Roswell, GA RIP OFF

Bansfield is very underhanded. You call and get a price quote, then they tack on all sorts of "extra fees" including "medical disposal." I took a feral cat in for spaying and the bill with all "services and fees" was over $650. When I called they quoted $350. I feel totally ripped off and now they are even telling me that I will have to pay an additional fee, on top of the $650+ to get the spaying staples removed. Unbelievable. I will never go back to Bansfield and will definitely tell anyone I know with pets not to go.

THE ORIGINAL QUOTE WAS FOR THAT SINGLE SURGERY ONLY. NOT MEDICATION for PAIN TO GO HOME, not the exam, NOT NAIL TRIM, NOT ANY OTHER PROBLEMS THAT ARISE OR SERVICES YOU REQUEST.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PRICE DON'T SIGN THE ESTIMATE AND TAKE YOUR CAT SOMEWHERE ELSE. Medical disposal is charged at every hospital I have seen. It is because it costs A LOT of money to dispose of animal tissues, needles, infected matter and expired medication in accordance with the law.

Next time you ask for an estimate you should ask for other items, not just the surgery... or don't sign the estimate and act like you are a victim.

I can definitely suggest some better veterinary clinics in your area! Let me know if you're interested

View more comments (1)

Banfield Pet Hospital in Tampa, Florida - Scam job

I did not expect a lack of "ethics" to come from a animal clinic.Banfield's wellness plan is a plain rip-off. They perform a lot of unnecessary test,over vaccinate(which can be harmful to your pet)and pretend they are doing all these good things for your pet and in reality all their doing is working on owners love and emotions for their friend to milk money out of them.Go get a real vet. Totally disappointed and I will never spend another dime in a pet smart.In time I will payoff my contract,but they will loose in the long run. I will pass my experience on to other pet owners.

Banfield will tell you that a 3 year rabies vaccination is only good for 1 year. Know the rabies law in your area and don't accept a 1 year vaccination if you want a 3 year one. There is no difference in the vaccine, the 1 year and the 3 year is exactly the same medication.

I took my lab to Banfield and will not return ever again. I too felt like it was a scam.

They brought up a screen of tests she should have done that totaled nearly three hundred dollars. I have had many pets and have visited many Vets and never have I been asked to test for the things they spoke to me about.

As an employee of banfield, I can definitely tell you we don't "overvaccinate." As for the tests, we perform bloodwork to make sure internal organs are functioning properly, there is no gross infection, and your pet is negative for heartworm and lyme disease. We also do fecal testing to make sure your pet hasn't picked up anything like roundworm, hookworm, tapeworm, or other intestinal parasites.

Depending on your plan, we may do urinalysis to make sure the kidneys are functioning properly. Tell me which one of these tests is "unnecessary." All these are based on the concept of early diagnosis and preventative care.

unnecessary tests?...overvaccinate?? They are required to have you, the pet owner sign the treatment plan estimate before they do any testing.

If there is any vaccine you do not wish your pet to receive, they won't give it.

My pet only receives rabies because she is over 8yrs. If they did these things, it is because you authorized them to.

Review
I took my police trained, soccer playing dog to Banfield after I noticed him limping. Banfield diagnosed an infection, prescribed meds and charged about 800.00 The following month, Paco was not better, went back. They did even more xrays, tests, more meds. Another...

Seeking victims of Banfield Pet Hospital to file a class action lawsuit. My personal friend a personal injury attorney in Beverly Hills, I have known him over 30 years. Please contact me @ youtube Banfield Killed My Chihuahua.

Review
BANFIELD PET HOSPITAL IN SPRINGFIELD, VA IS THE WORST!!!! I am so pissed off with them. I dropped my pet off at 8am for wellness exam and he was there IN HIS CAGE FOR 9HOURS!!!!!!! They were not able to get to him for his exam because they said they were TOO BUSY all...

This is a big problem with most Banfields. Having worked in one I can tell you for a fact that they are discouraged by their management from turning any pets away, so the consequence of that is that they have too many pets to see each day.

This means your pet only gets a few mins of the vets attention and the staff is exhausted/not able to pay much attention to all the pets their management makes them take in. It sucked working there and most staff leave very quickly.

Review
Sadly my puppy ate a piece of chicken that had bones on it, when I found him on the floor vomiting I immediately took him there. even though they respond quick by letting him in, the vet told me the worse: He had trouble breathing and that he needed surgery in order to...

Saddarinka,

Please give our Client Advocate Team a call to discuss your experience at Banfield. The number is 877-500-2288. We hope your dog is doing well.

Loss

Banfield Pet Hospital in Camden, New Jersey - No Complaint Resolution from Banfield Vets

I have had a Banfiled Vet plan for some months. My dog was in for a check up in July 2010 and was told she needed her teeth cleaned. I couldn't get to it til Nov when another dental check confirmed she needed her teeth cleaned. The next day when I went back to schedule the cleaning I was told she needed 4 teeth removed. The Dr never mentioned tooth removal when she was examined. When I became suspicious, I took her to her former Vet, he disagreed with the Banfield Dr.'s exam and cleaned her teeth without any extractions. When I filed a complaint in Dec with Banfield wrt their exam and tooth extraction plan they have slow rolled me now til Feb., absolutely refusing to return phone calls or do anything (when I call them) except to say I had to stay with the plan. There are more details but the bottom line is they are shysters, corporately non responsive and medically incompetent. My recommendation is to never sign up with them. Their Dr's are second class at best and once you sign your left with out responsible recourse from them.

Don't even bother calling that number they will give you the run around and won't solve nothing for you. It's amazing how many un-professional people work for banfield.

By far the worst customer service next to AT&T! Anyone who is experiencing problems with banfield should report them asap to the bbb.

Banfield is terrible! They make you the customer feel like ***!

anonymous3

I understand your frustration, but as written by Dave, until you actually have a pet under anesthesia for the dental you can never be 100% sure if extractions will be necessary. In many cases doctors like to prepare the clients up front in the event that such procedures are necessary.

If the teeth actually look good with further inspection than consider your pet lucky. However, I am sorry that the doctor didn't mention it to you during the exam.

Banfield Pet Hospital

We're sorry to hear that your experience with Banfield has left you feeling this way. Please call our advocacy line to discuss your experience: 877-500-2288. We'd be happy to hear from you.

I see how it could seem like a sham, but the reality of it is that it is impossible to tell if teeth need to be extracted or not until the pet is asleep and x rays are done. Teeth can look perfectly good on the surface and have terrible problems beneath the gumlines.

Loss
I have taken my dog to Banfield, Point Loma for 4 years. They have gotten worst with time. The new owner is pushing the Drs and staff to place medicine in the bags without discussing or even telling you. When I call them on it, they told me to bring it back. When I...

The DVM's only work on commission.

Review
I used this product on my yorkie and I'm very upset that I did. She has been scratching herself like crazy for almost a week. The first two nights she was up all night. I took her to my vet because I got scared. I have been online looking at this product and there...

I just rescued 2 dogs that have been going to Banfield for a couple of years. They were placed on First Shield and tested for Heartworm but not placed on Heartworm medication.

What is wrong with them. It seems that something is missing in assessment and treatment of dogs.

This is just not acceptable. Will be taking both for Heartworm tests hope they are OK.