Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show
A while ago I took my dog to the Banfield inside the PetSmart in San Mateo. I've been to many vets, and my current vet was retiring so I was looking for a new one. I didn't know there was a hospital in PetSmart, so after I stumbled upon them I decided to try them out...

First off, if you had actually been listening, you would have known that the Wellness Plans are not insurance. They're not in case your animal gets sick.

They're there to help with things like you were in there for - mostly shots.

An office visit at Banfield is 34.95, and the shots are priced from there. Your total for the entire visit was probably close to $150 wasn't it? Your visit with the plan, had you signed up?

$70, and your shots, office visits, and check ups are covered for a year. So maybe she wasn't as money hungry as you thought, and honestly WAS trying to save you some money.

Loss

Banfield Pet Hospital in Williamstown, New Jersey - Unacceptable Wait Time

I took my dog in to Banfield on 5/5/10 at noon for his annual vaccinations. We were placed immediately in a room after being checked in. I was told that I came at a great time because they were not busy. The nurse came in about 12:15 to ask the general questions about my dog's medical history. The nurse left us around 12:30 to get a doctor. The doctor (or anyone else) never came. We left at 1:15 without my dog receiving his vaccinations. During the time we were waiting, members of the staff walked by the room but nobody bother to apologize or give an explanation for the long wait. It was the worst service I have ever received. To put it more accurately, it was the worst service I did not receive. I wonder what is it like when they are busy. I won't find out because I will not be going back.

I went to a Banfield in Lakewood,WA for the first time to microchip my dog for cheap ($25). I have a regular vet with whom I am happy with but their microchips were $50.

I got a free exam coupon so decided to have it done there. We checked in at 6pm and were roomed right away. We waited an entire 55 minutes before one person came through the door. I was going crazy!

I was then given a minimal apology (sorry, we're so busy). We then waited 20 minutes for the vet to come in. After all the rigamarole of everything, we finally were ready for check out. We then waited another 20 minutes just to pay!!

There were other problems with the visit but the waits were ridiculous! NEVER going back!!

Re: above comment, I don't think you're impatient! I think you expect to be seen at or very near the time of your appointment!

I experienced the same thing at my Banfield - ridiculously long wait times, and no apologies/updates from staff. It became routine to clear out 2 hours for my dog's appointments there, since I knew it'd be at least an hour after my scheduled time that I would finally get a vet in the room.

You are very impatient. The doctor has other people to worry about than your nine year old self.

They don't have to apologize to you. They were probably waiting for an adult to confirm the vacatination.

View more comments (2)
Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Cave Creek, Arizona - Banfield Wellness Plan a Scam!

Services advertised as No Charge under the Plan always manage to cost me a minimum of $150..the latest, a simple teeth cleaning.After having my dog for 4 hours, a call to tell me liver test abnormal and need to some other test that will cost $65 before aenestitize.The 65 for some reason ended up at $100 and he has to back tomorrow for the teeth cleaning. Willing to bet, the second day needed for the No Charge service cost me another $100. That is the way they do things. Needless to say, canceling asap. Run from this Rip Off!

So, instead of them doing the blood work and seeing that something was wrong with the liver numbers, you would have rather your dog going under anesthesia and possibly dying on the table because there was a problem with the liver? They run the blood work to avoid complications during surgery, which saves you money.

If the Dr needed to do an emergency injection and other emergency related procedures to save your dog, it would cost you so much more then what you had to spend. Also it takes up to four hours to take the blood and run it to make sure there are no abnormalities.

I hope you check back after your visit with a vet who charges you for every visit and every vaccination. You should have read what you were signing up for.

Well pet visits, vaccinations, teeth cleaning...those are all very expensive elsewhere. They cost me $22 a month for twice a year visits.

Obviously over and above costs, but not like it does at the fancy vet. Good luck with that.

View more comments (1)
Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in San Diego, California - Scam!

I signed up to use the puppy wellness plan for our puppy. I only wanted to use this for the first year for the puppy shots, spaying, etc. During that time, we had some health issues. I felt that banfield was over priced. I opted to cancel the plan after a year. We called and cancelled it. Over a year later I got a call from a collection agency saying I owed banfield money. During this year I had never been contacted by banfield telling me that I owed money. They asked for my credit card, probably so they could start charging me for the plan again.

Banfield Pet Hospital in Saint Petersburg, Florida - Banfield plan worthless

paid monthly for our dog's care. each time we took her in, it cost at least $150. after one comprehensive visit, she walked with her front paws crossed. they had no idea why. she has arthritis but all they said was she needed to lose weight. they could never cure her ear infections. next comprehensive, she couldn't walk when we went to pick her up. they keep your pet for 4-5 hours for this exam. we had to put a towel under her belly to get her to the car. she weights about 70 pounds. when I got her home, I couldn't get her out of the car and she couldn't walk up the steps. never trust them with your pet.

After the experiences I have had with Banfield (this location in particular)The ladies at the front desk are very nice and helpful but I have no confidence in trusting my dogs health to the vet. I would say they are adequate for routine shots but nothing more. Long story short they did not catch that my puppy had tape worms even though I told them I thought he did. Apparently the routine dewormer is not enough to kill tapeworms which require a special shot that they did not think to tell me until my poor puppy had suffered from tapeworms for 2 1/2 weeks, despite numerous calls asking when the worms were supposed to be gone.

After bringing him in at 5 months because he was limping they told me he may have something broken and they would need to do an xray-while he was under anesthesia..estimated cost: $550.00 -I felt like they were trying to rip me off when they said they would not recommend doing the xrays while he was under for his neutering to save money and the danger of putting him under twice.

We did end up combing the procedures which saved three hundred dollars. They only took x-rays of his knee which Dr. Studdard said was the problem. She reffered us to an orthopedic vet and when I took him there the new vet said his knee was fine and it was his hip. So I had to pay 250 more to have the new place xray his hip (while he was awake,apparently you do not need to put a dog under for a hip xray)

So it is his hip and we are having the new vet do the surgery to fix it.

We cannot get our money back from Banfield for the wasted xrays they performed. I understand she may not be a orthopedic vet but common sense would tell me that if she was unsure of what may be wrong with a dog (while his owners were paying hundreds of dollars to find out) she should probably take xrays of the hip and knee just in case.

Also the fact that nothing is actually wrong with his knee and she "interpreted" (there was a 70.00 interpretation of xray fee) the xray to me as if there were many things wrong with it bothers me.

I would think that a vet would know a little more about general structure of dog bones, even if that is not your specialty.

While I am upset about wasting 250 dollars on these worthless xrays due to the lack of common sense by the vets at Banfield I am more worried about the animals that are taken there for things other than normal shots.

Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Seattle, Washington - Did not help my pet in fact hurt him and refused to work with me

I took my pet in for a leg injury, they did an x-ray and told me they didn't know what was wrong, helped others who arrived after me, then improperly bandaged his leg with a little cotton and an ace bandage and it swelled to double it's size. They charged me over $300 dollars. When I called back after I saw the swelling the customer service lady was very rude and defensive and told me she would do nothing to fix the situation. They charge an x-ray set up fee of 40.00 then each x-ray cost 31.00 then there's an x-ray diagnosis fee of 80.00. For a total of $180.00 to tell me they don't know. I called around to other vets and the whole x-ray fee is 75.00. Definately take your pet somewhere else!

they killed mine

Took my boxer in for regular visit only to find that there is a whole new bunch of employees . Everyone else QUIT !.

The man /vet didn't no what he was doing. Never will I bring my dog there again.

View more comments (1)

Banfield Pet Hospital in West Chester, Pennsylvania - Treatment of my terrier

went to Banfield animal hospital today with my terrier. She had blood in her stool, had a 2pm appointment didn't get out until 3:30 pm. Most of that time was spent waiting, the Dr. examined her and tht was the last i saw of the Dr, I complained to the nurse who was evidently in charge, why not the Dr. The Dr, never came out to see what the complaint was about. I hav been taking my 2 dogs there and when I told them I wouldn't be back they just said we'll give you a copy of all their shots, I have been there many times before and ALWAYS had the Dr come back with the diagnosis, They also never bothered to fill out her chart on the computer, All of this aggravation and don't give a care attitude, and a cost of $103.00.
Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Chicago, Illinois - They almost killed my dog and are billing me

I am getting a collection bill for a service preformed by them a yr and a half ago. They fixed my female dog and did not stitch her up properly. Her incision burst and so needed surgery to save her life. They are of course saving their butts and claiming I neglected my dog. When they had stitched her up she only had 2 stitches and glue. Also they forget that I am myself am a nurse so I would know how to take care of a surgery patient. Please do not go to the Backfield in Mishawaka in Indiana. The manager is the vets husband. You will not get anywhere

They almost killed my dog too! We took her in for a spay and got a call that she had, and i quote- "Blown up like a blowfish" when we got there, the vet came out to talk to us and said, and i quote again, "we may have given her too much of a medication and she had a reaction to it.

We arent sure if she is allergic to the medication itself, or if she was just given to much."

Im sorry... but that is NOT something I want to hear a vet say. They didnt charge us for anything, but I am getting a lawyer to get out of the contract with them.

Corporate vets are bad news. Their mind set is money money money.

I am not complaining about the optimal wellness plan. I am complaining about getting a bill for something they did to my dog and having to pay for a surgery to save her life after they caused the problem in the first place. I am not an ***!

They explain to you when you check out that if your pet dies then you are still responsible for the plan. How about you read something before you sign it next time. ***.

My cat died about a year ago.. and I am STILL paying his Optimum Wellness Plan.

He died because of an illness he got after getting his kitten shots.

PLEASE PEOPLE, FIND A DIFFERENT VET!! It is NOT WORTH IT

View more comments (3)
Loss

Banfield Pet Hospital in Gladstone, Oregon - Banfield didn't do their job

A friend took her cat to Banfield because her mouth was drooling and she was chewing at her body. She was put to sleep and given a bath, cut her nails (missed a nail) and they checked her teeth. She was given some First Shield to put on the cat. Nothing was said about the drooling. A week later she was taken to another vet and come to find out the cat's toungue had been cut by something that had been around it. Banfield should have caught this when they checked her over. Won't go back to them.
Banfield Pet Hospital - Left part of foriegn body and the internal sutures fail
Banfield Pet Hospital - Left part of foriegn body and the internal sutures fail

Update by user Mar 28, 2015

It's been a long time now and I do not believe I can do anything about what happen to Simon. I still bad mouth Banfield.

They killed him by their neglect. I was surprised to see that people are still reading this.

Original review posted by user Apr 17, 2010

My two legged pitbull was killed by the office politics...

You should have gone elsewhere after day 2 of this