Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show
Banfield failed to premedicate our doxie before giving more than one vaccine.They did not caution us or warn us about the danger. she suffered an acute allegeric reaction and was hospitilized 2x in emergency in the same day. She was in anguish and was completed...

I've had great dealings with all of the Banfield vets that I've taken my service dog Lilly to. We have been to Lacey, WA and Killeen, Tx ones and they were both amazing!

I also had to take a pet bearded dragon into the banfield hospital in Killeen TX as she somehow managed to break her arm, luckfully they taped it up, and got her some medications and she has made a full recovery! As for my service dog she had to go multiple times for her weight (79lbs) and for her eyes, as she has had ulcers in them for years. She also went there once for her dental cleaning. Through all of her visits from frontline to flea dip they made sure to call me and let me know what was going on, the doctors were all very helpful and even helped by showing me what I needed to do for Lilly.

It was one of the few clinics that NEVER looked at my dog as a criminal because she is a bully breed.

They never muzzled her for vaccines or anything of the such, not even her grooming and toe trims! I was very pleased with their service.

Resolved
Banfield Pet Hospital - Banfield Vet Almost Killed Both of My Dachshunds
I took my dogs to Banfield Vet associated with Petsmart Stores and their vaccinations caused my dachshunds to break out into hives and have severe facial swelling. They had to receive steroid shots, benadryl shots, anti-nausea medication, and continue with alternate...

Oh also, to add to my comment below.

If your pet had an anaphylactic reaction (closing airway) then you absolutely need to do diph 15min prior, have an IV catheter placed and do another diph inj 15min after and leave the pet for a couple hours of monitoring.

Loss

Banfield Pet Hospital in Miami, Florida - Horrible Experience - Do not take your pets there

I would not recommend this place to anyone who really love their pets.... They do not treat your pet as family!!! The service is horrible, they book so many clients at the same time that you have to wait over 3 hours for your appointment and then they come back and don't even know if they did what they were supposed to do. It is just disgusting and they do not even have the courtesy to contact their clients if a payment does not go through but send your account directly to collections. Oh, and please don't even think about cancelling their disgusting service because there are more fees and penalties!!! What kind of place is this???? My best friend's dog went there for a biopsy and they did not even call her to give her the results and she had to go to the place in several opportunities trying to find out the results...nobody knew where the results were!!!! Are you serious???

hey spread the word , what days do the corp goons come in id like to have my dog *** on their leg....

#119564

I have going to Banfield for 7 years and love it!!! I had made an appt for my cat that had a bladder infection called my old vet and they couldnt get me in for 2 days.

How can I make my cat wait 2 days? I called Banfield and the told me to come right now.

My other cat had surgery and for a week I dropped him off everyday to me monitored and on her day off she called me to make sure he was ok.. great vet!!

Unfortunately, I can't disagree with any of your comments. The corporation relies too heavily on making sure there is an abundance of people walking through the door rather than making sure the people receive good service.

Please understand that the employees as a rule, DO NOT like the fact that they are so behind, and give bad service.

But with the amount of patients they are FORCED to see every day, there is no way to accomplish everything they have to do without things falling through the cracks. It is just not humanly possible and unfortuantely, being a corporation, there is nothing that the individual Banfields can do to lower their volume without getting in trouble.

No! The first thing we look at is how many pets did we see today? How much did we bring in today? How are we doing compared to other hospitals in our area?

I have never worked for a company that is as micromanaged as Banfield.

Every 3 weeks or so, the corporate goons come in, to pass out the company cool-aid, and make sure that everyone swears alegence to Banfield. :(

View more comments (3)

Banfield Pet Hospital in San Jose, California - Banfield Clients = $$$$$

I also have had the horrific experience of working at Banfield as Pet Nurse where there were many unnecessary procedures done on pets. First off, these "Optimum Wellness Plans" are a complete joke. We were forced to sell these preventative care packages to clients who would come in just a for a bordatella vaccine that was required for their boarding facility or if their regular vet was closed on a particular day. If we didn't sell these plans with a certain percentage as our goals, the field leaders would come lecture our ears off where they held meetings on our days off saying, "If you guys cannot pull in the numbers for this hospital that is not profitable, you need to not be apart of this team." The constant threats of termination would get everyone to up their numbers with clients therefore being more pushy about signing up on a plan. I have had many clients tell me personally, "I feel like I am at a used car sales lot!" I would secretly tell the clients in private in the rooms to not sign up and if they have a regular vet to stay with them ESPECIALLY if they are a small animal clinic. It was posted each week with each of the staff's names listed with how much we were worth per hour on average. Those that were considered high profit staff got praise and the rest of us were looked down upon. Doctors gave me estimates for clients that were hundreds of dollars of unnecessary procedures that consisted mostly of blood work and radiographs. In many instances, I would tell the client to just take the medication home and do not come back to Banfield at any location for the sake of their wallets and pets well being. The nurses only get paid $10.00 an hour with a degree we get only a dollar more or so. The pay is pathetic and the hard work isn't worth it. Our hours were getting cut left and right with the complaints of no overtime even though we didn't have enough help or enough time to finish our duties. We are also told basically if we have any employee problems that we just have to deal with it or get out. They place the blame on the ones that want to try to make the hospital a better place to work instead of solving the problem. We were encouraged to "team bond" with *** parties and outside of work activities. Banfield was sold to the Mars Company as I have recently have learned. Who wants to take their pets to a place where they don't know what they are doing in all areas of the business? I would estimate that 98% of the people who work at Banfield are on the job trained with veterinary medicine. You take your pet to people who are highly educated and knowledgeable about what they are doing for the health of your pet. Banfield hires anyone who will make them money, bottom line. They do not care if you have a degree or not for they will pay peanuts to gain a profit out of you. The office manager I worked with has stated to me that she doesn't know anything about nursing care or veterinary medicine. At times I had to work through my breaks, clock out for lunch but still work because we were so short staffed. The constant offering of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) injections to patients prior to giving vaccines to any pet in order to prevent any vaccine reactions was way too much. This is merely a legal cover up for Banfield just in case they get sued for anything having to do with the pet getting ill with vaccines. The fact that if Banfield just offers diphenhydramine is to cover their hinds will hold up in a courtroom if a client calls them out on the reason why their pet got sick under Banfield care. No veterinary hospital I have been to has ever offered this to my pets in the past for vaccines. It was explained to us that as Banfield employees, we cannot tell clients it is ok to give over the counter benadryl to their pets 30 minutes prior to their appointment or the fact that Diphenhydramine is in fact Benadryl. It shadiness like this at a veterinary facility inside and out, I say stay away from this place and to spread the word to everyone around you that has pets to NEVER GO TO BANFIELD!

Go go CAuser. Man that sounds familiar...

I definitely agree with the fact that it jus may have been ur banfield because the one i work for is not like that at all. if u have issues with ur banfield then tell ppl not to go to that specific location, dont completely bad mouth the company.

when u do that banfield loses business and wen banfield loses business ppl lose their jobs and in this economy ppl cant afford to lose their jobs. I would like to keep my jobs thanks.

and who cares about the amount of money a person makes as long as they can do their job then who cares. if u dont like the way things are done no one is forcing u to be there.

bainfields sucks stay away ripp off artist

I have never worked for a company that is as micromanaged as Banfield.

Not all banfields are the same. the one my pets go to is great. they do tell us to give OTC benadryl - they work with the clients if they are on a tight budget to be able to get the care for their pets - they do not nickel and dime you.

You also need to remember - employees are (well were up until this past week or two) on a pay grid - it depended where you worked on how much you got paid - b/c I can tell you that the practice I go to - CSC start at $13/hr w/o a degree - Nurses about the same and with a degree got more. Now that has changed and they have actually increased the pay and got rid of the grid.

I would not trust any other vet with my dog. They were very considerate - took into account that he was only 2.5lbs when he got his first shots - we spaced them out so that his little body didn't get overloaded. The only time I have heard them offer the benadryl is if the dog/cat had recently had a vaccine reaction.

As for blood work - if you are takin your pet in for surgery, my question is - why wouldnt' you pay for blood work!? if something shows up in bloodwork that may cause something to go wrong in surgery I think i would definately feel more comfortable knowing that and having the ability to cancel the surgery until the levels came back to normal then to put my pet under surgery and them not come out alive!!

As for the wellness plans - I think they are great - they should be telling you - they are for well pets and preventative care - its not insurance!! I have save over $9000 using the plans.

You need to test the water at your Banfield before you decide to use them as your Vet. Not all are the same - I am sure you have some that are in it just to make a buck - but you have others that are honestly truly there for your pets well being. I know a couple of vets that work for Banfield - and honestly, some I would not even consider taking my pet too.

As for the employee problems - the place you worked at must not have had a good OM - the manager where I go is great - always concerned about the employees. If they dont know how to do there job (scheduling, P&Ls, budgeting) then the entire practice is screwed - b/c that is when you will get field leadership on your butts - but when your OM is good and what they do - then you don't have to worry.

The Vets at Banfield in St. Charles, MO have saved my dogs life on MULTIPLE occasions. I cannot say enough about the staff there.

Thank you for your honesty. As I posted in another thread, when I took my cat to Banfield I felt like I was at a mechanic.

They seriously tried to rip me off. They tried to tell me I had to come back another day to get my cat her shots because she "was biting". All she did was hiss because she is an indoor cat & not used to being out of the apartment. The first thing the assistant did was ask to see her teeth.

Then the vet went on and on about how bad her teeth were. They tried to get me to sign up for the plan and I was about to but then they said all the work my cat needed wasn't covered by the plan.

Thankfully I didn't sign up and I've never been back since. I tell everyone I know to never bring their pets to Banfield.

View more comments (6)
Review
I have been employed at Banfield as a Pet Nurse for about 1 1/2 years so far and walked out on the job as of today. I am a licensed Registered Veterinary Technician who graduated in 2005 from a very well established accredited RVT program that taught me extremely well....

I currently work for Banfield and I will tell you that it all lies in the hospital that you choose. The Banfield that I work at the Veterinarian is very compasionate about her job, she wants to help the nurses as much as possible and gets very hands on with us and doesnt mind running test and doing TPR's if we are busy with a lot of pets.

Not everyone that works at a Banfield is an *** and uneducated. We always try to help each pet that comes in even if the owner can not afford treatment.

Plus the pet nurses at my hospital all go to lunch together and talk about the interesting cases and go out to dinner and help each other out as much as possible. I cant speak for every Banfield, I can only speak for the Banfield that I work at in Houston, TX.

Review
We found a horribly injured feral cat that was suffering and dying a slow death. It was clear that euthenasia was the only humane option. I called Banfield and explained the situation, asking if they would be willing to stop this poor feral from suffering, as I...

They can charge whatever they want. It is a free country.

On the same token, any animal lover reading this story should avoid going to Banfield. The shot and time required cost a fraction of that, and this shows a lack of compassion on their part.

Banfield Pet Hospital West Jordan, UT

I took my cat to Banfield Pet hospital. The care was terrible. $300 bill, and they didn't even treat what I said was wrong. (A urninary tract infection.) The vet had a terrible bedside manner, and was insulting. I only went there because it was Sunday. I took him to my regular vet Pet Stop in Salt Lake and the contrast was so very extreme. Pet Stop--great vets, fair prices, happy cats and dogs. Banfield--lousy vet, untreated cat, high prices. I won't go to the McDonald's of vet care ever again, that's for sure!

I have been taking my dog and cats to the West Jordan Banfield for 8 years now, and yes, they try to sell me pet insurance every time and no, I never buy it. However, I have never met a vet or tech who was less than competent or concerned about my pet.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience but that has never been my experience there.

I have never worked for a company that is as micromanaged as Banfield.

Apparently that office has not been trained well. They are not allowed to offer a Wellness plan for sick pets - the pets have to be "Well" pets.

Im sorry about your puppy.

but if he wasnt showing symptoms of having parvo - they would have had no clue to test for parvo. How old was he when you took him.

Sorry you had a bad experience - but all practices are not the same - nor do they practice the same preventative care for pets. I wouldnt take my dog to any other vet - the banfield I go to is great!

:( I took our new puppy to banfield on December 22 2009. also on that same say my daughter brought in her 2 year old dog for vomiting and bloody stools.

Banfield was more concerned about selling us wellness plans then anything eles. They took one look at her dog and said it was sick. But they couldnt do much without buying wellnrss plans. they told me my puppy was fine.

they told me to bring him back on 1-22-10 for his shots and to be fixed. well four days later I had to take the puppy to a vet. He had parvo. and yes he died.

And of course Its not their fault. Thats what they told me. Well yes it is. and this isnt over.

Im going to file a lawsuit. AND HERE IS MY 918-606-9878.

Call if you want. because something needs to be done.

View more comments (3)
Loss

Banfield Pet Hospital in Alvin, Texas - Banfield charges for tests not run.

I brought my dog in on Christmas eve because he was not acting normally. They recommended that I do a blood test and a urinalysis(sp). However, they were unable to get a urine sample from him because he had already peed on the way into the store. They sent me home with a syringe and a vial to get it myself the next time he peed, but they still charged me for not only collecting the urine... but for running the tests on it as well. The blood tests showed all was well. I have a problem with them charging me for a test they did not run. I will dispute the charge with my credit card company if they will not reverse the charges.

after I let them know if it was not taken off the bill, I would dispute it with my credit card company. Although, I am still waiting on them to reverse it. I know it sometimes takes a while for credits to show on the credit card. If I do not see it on the statement this month, I will dispute the charges.

HOWEVER!!!! My dog showed some worrysome symptoms just after this. I brought him in to see the doctors there since he had been there recently, in case it had anything to do with what happened before. Because, while they overcharged me, they vet did see knowledgeable. Well... I went in at 4 pm on a Sunday. They close at 5 and since they did not think they would finish exactly at 5 oclock.... they sent me away. They were more concerned about getting out of the office on time... than they were about checking out my dog. This pissed me off. Dont get me wrong. I like to leave on time too... but if they do not want to take patients after 4... they should put a sign up that they close at 4... and then they could leave at 5. But if it says they are open until 5... they should take patients until 5. If they felt my dog was too ill to care for... THEN send me to the emergency clinic. But the way they worded it... they basically just were afraid the tests ( probably most of them unnessecary) that they needed to do would make them work past 5. Now... I did go to the emergency clinic... and they were able to tell me in 15 minutes.... it was GED. They did a fecal float and bloodwork. And the ONLY reason they kept him overnight there was to make sure he stayed hydrated. He was getting dehydrated and that can be dangerous in little dogs. Anyway..... I am STILL very unhappy with Banfield since they are lazy and over charge.

I admit, they killed one of my dogs there.... because they spent 45 minutes trying to get me to sign on for an insurance plan (to cover unnecessary tests) instead of treating my dog who had a bowel obstruction. The vet FELT the obstruction..... and still did nothing until I told them I would sign up for the insurance. I finally had to ask them... if I sign up for them ... will you please help my dog?!?!?!?! While I was filling out the paperwork... they brought my dog in the back to xray him. He died on the xray table. I also failed to mention... less emergent cases came in, were seen, and left prior to them doing ANYTHING to help my dog. Even though I explained what the problem was. They even admitted to me that it was neglegence on the part of the vet... and their triage procedures.

I only returned to this Banfield with this animal because 1... I did not think my dog was life threateningly ill. And 2 because I knew that the vet that killed my dog was no longer at that location. I was actually happy with my visit on Christmas eve with the exception of the fact that I was overcharged. But evidently, nothing has changed with their lack of caring.

I will not return... EVER. I would rather spend more money and go to the emergency vet then give them even one more dime.

"CAT team"? "OM"?

You sound like a Banfield insider. Normal people don't talk like that.

I am a Petnurse at a midwestern Banfield. At the end of each day, do we discuss the interesting cases that we saw that day? No!

The first thing we look at is how many pets did we see today? How much did we bring in today? How are we doing compared to other hospitals in our area? I have never worked for a company that is as micromanaged as Banfield.

Call the CAT team - they can fix it. They will call the OM of the practice - and its the final decision of the doctor - but the one I go to would never do that - they take it off at check out if it was ordered up.

As for the collection - they could have gotten it internally - not sure why they didnt do it that way - the practice I go to does it all the time. (not sure if there is an extra charge to collect it that way or not - but I know they can do it that way!)

View more comments (2)
Loss

Banfield Pet Hospital in New York, New York - Banfield killed our 6 year old dog

Banfield in Atlanta Georgia operated on our very healthy 6 year old male Min Pin for common bladders stones. 24 hours later he showed complications so they had to operate again and discovered they had punctured his bladder. He contracted septic shock and after 48 hours of agonizing pain, nausea, fluid in his lungs, kidney failure, jaundice, numerous catheters & iv's he died in our arms after having a seizure. We immediately asked for them to own up to what they did and now it is 2 days later with no reply as of the time I am posting my comment. Please beware!

I had to put my dog Molly down yesterday because she was suffering. I dont understand why she got so sick after the surgery, she was a healthy dog before that. I have no answers dont think I could use Banfield again...

My pet Molly had surgery to remove some very large bladder stones two weeks ago from today. She does not eat any food for about 8 days now.

she is shaking all the time. we took the pet insurance and we have to bring her there almost every other day. no one knows what is wrong with her and I cant afford to do anymore tests.I am wondering if her bladder was punctured, they want to do an ultra sound that would cost me another $250-$400.

I have to say that they have been very caring of my dog, but I wish they can help her and I hope they didnt hurt her. :?

I have never worked for a company that is as micromanaged as Banfield.

Just an update on how Banfield operates...not only have I not received a response from the "client advocate" group, the "director" of the local Banfield's involved as promised regarding the death of our dog, the only affiliate of Banfield that has contacted me is "Crosscheck" which is their check guarantee company. The contacted me because the check I had issued for his surgery had a "stop payment" placed by me and had been returned.

This is even after I had advised both the local Banfield & client advocate group they should not deposit the check until this is resolved. No one at Banfield is even attempting to deal with our situation.

Thank you for the support and I am truly sorry you lost your dog. It just doesn't seem fair.

We have been contacted by a "client advocate" with their corp headquarters and they have opened an inquiry into our dogs death. That was on Tuesday but no other word.

I will really be surprised if we get an explanation but my little guy deserves for someone to man up for the suffering he was caused the last few days of his life. I post when I know.

#101985

I am sorry to hear about your loss. They killed my dog too because they waited to try to talk us into their insurance and until they talked us into it...they did not lift the first hand to treat our dog.

They wanted to run unnecessary tests ... like heartworm on my dog..... when I told them what the problem was ( he had eaten chicken bones) and I brought a sample of the vomit (with chicken bones in it) and his stool. Yet they wanted to do a bunch of unnecessary tests to rule out other problems first.

I am afraid they never owned up to killing my dog either. I wish you luck. I only go to them as a last resort. I brought my other dog in this past weekend when he was not feeling well, and because they thought it would take longer than the hour before they closed to look at him and run tests...

they would not see him.

All because they wanted to be out of the door at exactly 5 pm. I will pay more and go to the emergency vet next time.

I took my daughters 4 month old kitten to be spayed. When I picked the kitten up, Banfield personnel tried to tell me the kitten was in heat so there would be an extra charge.

I refused to pay the extra since one-Banfield wanted to wait and extra month to do the spay and two the kitten is only 4 months old. I contacted several people to verify if the kitten could have been in heat. Because of this, Phil Kilcoin the field director has "severed" the relationship with the Banfield we take the kitten to. He specified another one that we would be allowed to go to which is to far from us.

Their personal can treat people and their pets any way they want and get away with it.

Banfield has not heard the end of this. They are a rip off :(

Sally - When a vet walks out of surgery and says "his bladder was punctured in the first surgery and I don't know how it happened" - is that proof enough for you? And how is this trying to make a quick buck?

You have proof? Or are you just trying to make a quick buck?

View more comments (8)
Loss
There is a Veterinarian that owns a Banfield practice in Manahawkin, NJ that has conducted unprofessional, unethical and poor care of patient records. He deliberately,maliciously, publicly,carelessly,& recklessly transferred client records to a former business partner...

Um, Banfields records are electronic, paperless.