Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

Banfield Pet Hospital - Beware, Don't use - Banfield at Tracy, California

I've been to several Banfield clinics in two other states and take my cat there to have her nails clipped. I have never ever received such unprofessional, rude and offensive service from the vet himself ever in the 14 years I have had my cat. My cat has several serious medical issues and see's a specialist for her treatment, therefore if she is in need of a nail trim and not a visit to her vet I've used Banfield in the past with no problems and excellent customer service. I just moved to Tracy California and the Vet was very defensive when he continually asked me questions regarding who provides my cat medical care and why? He seemed to be forcing the point that he could see/treat my cat and he was determined in a very defensive corrosive tone to outline how qualified he is and that in his exact words "We are a full service hospital and not just here for nail clipping." Of course his statement was after his vet tech ran my credit card for the services. Shocked and thoroughly feeling this is not a place where you should trust the staff to care and have patience for your pet. I ran back to the examining room where they were starting to clip her nails and asked them to stop and asked for a refund. This only infuriated the Veterinarian even more as he continued in a condescending nasty tone to say more to me. This occurred with a PetSmart employee a few feet away. When I turned to her she was shaking her head and I asked her pleadingly to speak with a manager, as we walked to the front of the store I asked if she had heard our conversation and even the PetSmart associated stated "He was being really rude to you, and unfortunately this isn't the first time." So please just be aware that this Vet is not a true caring professional and I worry that if it hasn't happened yet, someone and their pet might be adversely affected by their rude and unprofessional service. If I was treated this way for a simple service of a nail trim I hate to imagine the potential if someone was to trust this vet for any other, more involved service or procedure.

Doesn't the vet have lives to save, instead of micromanaging your cat's nail trim? Personally, I'm busy.

So if your cat came to my hospital, I'd say hi, mostly to see how cute and awesome your cat was, and offer to help you transfer your specialty care to the new area.

Probably, you'd feel like seeing me again in the future, and maybe even for health advice. But that's probably why I'm so busy!

Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Washington, District Of Columbia - Banfield Vet. "too busy" to aid my pregnant Yorkie, lost 4 puppies!

Called Banfield Vet. when puppy born in distress, was told by receptionist Vet. was with another "client". Took my name and number and 20 minutes later (another pup had been born in distress) the receptionist, not the Vet. returned my call, telling me, "Dr. said there was nothing he could do for C.,my dam" My reponse was "well, then I guess I need to find a Vet." and hung up. Called emergency clinic, drove 20miles, (less than 2mi. to Banfield) to that vet. I hold Banfield potentially responsible for loss of 4 puppies, #5 puppy born at emergency clinic, doing well. Banfield fine for "shot clinic" but if you need good vetrinary care for your beloved animals, look elsewhere!

I'm sorry for your situation but if the vet says he was too busy, then he probably was. You have no way of knowing what was going on at the clinic.

He himself could have been in surgery or working on another type of emergency. When the vet is working alone, he must triage his cases. They were correct in sending you to an E-clinic since it sounds like it was a valid emergency.

To hold them responsible is ridiculous. It is not their fault that the location was so far or that you chose to wait for Banfield to call rather than just rush to another clinic.

Banfield Hospitals, while affliated with PetsMart are independently owned. With that in mind, the particular hospital you called may not be equipped to handle the situation.

I have used our local Banfield for 3 years for our 5 dogs and have had nothing but the best service from vets & staff. I know if I call with an emergency they will be ready for our arrival.

most veterinary clinics are not equipped to deal with an emergency situation such as yours. if they were your dogs regular vet they may have had a course of action for you. otherwise, it was right to send you to an emergency care place.

Was this Banfield your dog's regular veterinarian?

View more comments (3)
Review
I usually buy Frontline from Banfield located at most Pet Smart stores. They were out the size I needed for my dogs. Was talked into buying "Fisrt Shield" told it was just as good as Frontline. NOT!!! My one dog has allergies to the flea bites and the rest of the other...

First off, this medication DOES NOT go into the blood stream. It wicks its way across the hair.Because of this, if your pet does have a reaction, you can easily wash the product from their skin using Dawn dish soap and they will be fine. Within 6 hours, the medication will cause the fleas to begin to go into "convulsions". Many times, if the pet is severely infested with fleas, this will cause them to react as the fleas convulse.

One comment stated that the medication contains permethrin, which is toxic to cats. The cat version DOES NOT contain oermethrin, only the dog version. If you have both cats and dogs, you need to separate them for several hours to prevent the cat from licking up any product placed on to your dog. Once the product is dry, your cat is then safe.

I am a registered vet tech and have seen this product used many times, I have only seen a few reactions from this product. I have seen more reactions from other products, especially cheap OTC products.

I hate to hear of ANY reaction on a pet though. Two of my cats had a terrible reaction to Advantage, but it happens. Every animal is different.

Also, First Shield is NOT owned by Banfield, and Banfield and PetSmart are also separate companies.

View more comments
Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio - The best interest of the pet or the money

I started bringing my dog to Banfield in West Chester Ohio when he was only 6 weeks old. At 5 months old he developed a skin condition. I conintued with Banfield and the Vets came and went.I followed all recommedations and treatments. Finally told to go to a Canine dermetologist. Which I followed faithfully by the letter for months and months. Almost 5000.00 dollars later much going to banfield I made the decision to put my lovely dog to sleep, When we arrived at our appointment we were told to bring the dog to the back door, We stood in the heat for over twenty minutes, Eventually hearded into the store to wait to be put in a room , anouther 10 minutes. Finally a very young Vet who I saw eating twizzlers and laughing with her assistant came into the room and said she reviewed all the medical records as well as the dermatologists records. She looked me in the eyes as I was histarically crying and told me that I had not done enough for my dog and that she could not sleep at night knowing she put my dog to sleep with out examining him and testing him for herself. All my tears and begging to put the dog out of his pain only lead to her rolling her eyes and telling me she would work me up a estimate for treatment she thought was appropriate, Treatment that 4 vets and a specialist apparently missed. obviously pissed I left the store, was told I could not leave out the back door and had to walk around the entire shopping center to get to the back with my ill dog in the heat. Not before they chased after me wanting the money for the visit. Banfield is after your money and does not give a *** about your beloved pet.....West Chester Ohio
#71916

One thing I want to know is if the vet is experienced how could they not know what is going on? I think they just suck you dry and still not tell you what is wrong. I am in the middle of the process now.

Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Saint Louis, Missouri - Price gouge, rude and billing is outrageous, they billed me double and for shots my pet did not get.

They inflate their bills, the vet is rude, they make you wait a long time. They give you this piece of paper that they checked everything on the pet from head to toe but I know for a fact they did not. They also contradict themselves on what they tell you is wrong and what they enter into their computers. They did not expect me to get a full printout of the x rays and physical.MY pet supposedly had two x rays but I was told I could not have them, it was against their rules. Here is what they put on the bill; office visit; physical exam (this was not done); radiology package; radiology interpretation; radiology exposure; radiology set up & handling; again radiology exposure for the second film;Medical waste fee (which I was told is the chemicals for the x rays); radiology package;lab work package ( they did not do); antibiotic injection (which they did not do); Treatment plan created ?Prednisolone syrup. People watch out if you take your pet there ask to see everything that is put on paper and question it then. Better yet find another vet.

Banfield Pet Hospital in Plymouth, Minnesota - Poor service and money extortion

Banfield is a huge scam! They've diagnosed him with heart defects (suggested surgery), cushings disease (suggested $1000s to test), diabetes (which they keep coming up with new ways to charge $100s each visit, just to name a few. I have followed the dr's ordered since we got our puppy (now 13), he has health has continued declining but banfield keeps saying I need to more...The service stinks, the dr's are a scam and my biggest regret is ever signing up for the "wellness" plan which has been anything but. Save your money, don't use them.

and why we choose to stick with the neighborhood vet too !! They have proven to generally CARE about our pets !!!

Also, sometimes even less expensive, much more realistic than Banfield. I pondered the wellness plans too..glad I chose not to paticipate !!!

I also used Banfield. I was told that my 3 year old Mini Schnauzer needed his teeth cleaned.

I was skeptical because I did not see tarter on his teeth. I got another opinion and that vet asked me what needed cleaning? He could not find anything that was bad. He will be 5 next month and I just had him to a new vet.

That vet said he must have some great genes because his teeth are perfect. I also purchased that Wellness Plan.

All that proved to be was more expensive than if I just visited the neighborhood vet. Not worth the money whatsoever.

View more comments (1)

Banfield Pet Hospital in Chicago, Illinois - Banfield animal hopsital

BAH continues to draft my checking account. I am stuck in a contract(This is the 4th year of a 1 year contract!)They have drop off appointments for services (with no comunication) they are never available for sick or emergency visits. They always find a procedure, treament etc. in addition to "covered services so that every "in plan" check-up costs me $60- $300.00 more. They removed the wrong lump requiring a second surgery and acting like I should have been grateful they didn't charge me for putting my poor dog through anesthesia again. The last time she had her teeth cleaned it took 3days to recover from anesthesia and although " eye abnormality was noted on the apperwoork this was never communicated and coatand skin were "normal even though the reason for the apointment was hotspots (I had to have a drop off "well checkup" for them to see her) It took a threatening email before the Vet returned my calls about this I have yet to hear from Banfield regarding any of this. My advice is to stay away from "chain store" vets

I have a wellness plan with them and you can cancel it at any time. all you need to do is call the corporate head quarters.

You must not have read any of the paperwork you signed. they tell you it will renew on its own if you don't cancel it.

Banfield is not a chain vet store like that. There are many of them; but they are not connected in any way.

If it is a 1 year contract and they continue to draft on it, call your Attorney Generals Office in your state to file a complaint. If that does not work, as much of a pain as it may be, get a new checking account.

That is why I never signed up for the auto-pay plan, I feared something like this occurs. Good Luck.

View more comments (3)
Review
My dog Clancy has dry eye syndrome, or keraconjunctivitis sicca. To make a long story short, he had an appointment 8/19/09 and the vet who had been treating him wasn't there (she said she would be, which was why I scheduled it for that time), so another one saw...
#320999

In response to this comment: "...why would I pay for cyclosporin when OTC drops achieve the same result?"

There is a VERY good reason why you should continue to use cyclosporin in a dog with KCS instead of just artificial tears, and that is why a VET, with years of school and training, prescribed it. This is what happens when people play veterinarian. Cyclosporin helps your dog produce NATURAL tears, which are inherently better than artificial tears. They help with infection control, cell turnover, etc. Interrupting treatment with cyclosporin in a dog with KCS can permanently damage the lacrimal ducts, resulting in decreased natural tear production. Artificial tears will help lubricate the eye, but making natural tears is far better. Your dog may appear to be ok to you, but you are not qualified to make that assessment. If you stopped cyclosporin treatment, you may have permanently damaged your dogs lacrimal tear ducts (as well as make the eyes more prone to infection). A Schirmer Tear Test is really the only method of assessing a dog's natural tear production.

This is what happens when people claim that a vet is crooked. They think they know better than a vet with years of medical training and the pet ends up suffering. If you think you are being conned, get a second opinion, don't just assume YOU, the untrained pet owner, knows better.

View more comments

Banfield Pet Hospital in Hudson, Ohio - My pet was injured and is now lame

I took my pot bellied pig in for a standard hoof trim. When I got him back he was unable to walk at all and as of two weeks later is still basically unable to walk. Even though his hooves were fine he sustained some type of injury affecting his front legs. His neck and front legs were diagnosed by another vet as being bruised and swollen. Two weeks and $400.00 later the hospital refuses to accept any responsibility. My animal can as of now no longer walk!!!!!!!!!! The sad part is....the vet was willing to accept the responsibility but the hospital administation refuses.

Banfield Pet Hospital

Although we haven't suffered the loss of a pet at the hands of these folks, I do want to note their complete lack of customer service. Due to some family issues, I needed to take my wife's dog in for a Bordatella update on short notice. I called in and was told to come at 2PM for walk-in service. I got there at 1:45, checked in and told the receptionist I was in a hurry to get back to work for a conference call. I finally saw the vet at 3:15 who completed the procedure in under 3 minutes. When I complained, both the vet and the "nurse" simply shrugged their shoulders and said next time I should make an appointment since they had been busy taking care of "sick" animals. In other words, just getting a quick squirt to the nose was not a priority regardless of the problems that it caused me for missing an important business call. Not earth shaking I admit but if their attitude of indifference to their clients is that blatant, I don't want to take a sick dog in there and really need service. We will find a vet that actually listens and responds to client requests.

I have to agree with Terry. Bordatella, at least when given at my vet lasts 6 months.

I KNOW when it is going to expire, so I look into my schedule book, pick up the phone and make an appointment that does not conflict with my other life happenings. (if it does, then I reschedule. no reason to stress over it) Walk in service us just that, walk in & they'll get to you ASAP. Now an appointment is something entirely different (but even then when I did use them, I was there for 2-2.5 hours with ONE dog, waiting and waiting.) In perspective though, if BAH had an emergency, then of course the Bordetella "squirt" really is not as important.

Just because you had a "important" business call does not constitute an emergency on BAH or anyone's part.

I have learned that one cannot rely on others to respect that ones time is important, so do not try to do much of anything on a lunch break or while at work between calls. Their attitude may have been of indifference, but what was yours towards them?

Gee, have you ever called your family doctor and said "I know this is short notice, but I just cut myself and I would like to get it looked at" And the nurse says, sure come on in and we can see you. And you get there without an appointment and you wait and wait until the doctor has a free moment between SCHEDULED appointments to see you, only to say "It looks good, just keep it clean" That takes about 3 minutes. Do you get on here and complain about that?

The treatment your dog got should have been scheduled, it expires not all of a sudden, but a YEAR from when it was first given. Now all of a sudden you had to have it done right then, so you got a stand by appointment for when the vet could work your dog in and you were told this.

If your dog was the sick one and had an appointment you would be here griping about how this walk in dog got service before you did because your dog was sick, and this guy just walks in and gets seen.

Complain about something that is worth cmplaining about, not how long you had to wait on a walk in visit to the vet. It is people like you that bi**h to just bi**h about something. I bet you complain if your paper is 15 seconds late getting to your door :(

View more comments (1)