Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show

Banfield Pet Hospital in Oneonta, New York - Banfield Animal Hosital at Pet Smart

Comments (2) RSS comments 1. Written by Caroline Muirhead, on 10-08-2009 19:31 Yes, I agree with regards to the money thing. I took my six year old cat to a Banfield clinic at Pet Smart. Basically they did nothing. $46.00 to walk through the portals I say. My cat's eye was swollen shut. I noticed this on Sat. afternoon. On Sunday it was the same. I used some antibacterial ointment for the eye which was prescribed for my German Shepherd a year ago. By Monday, the eye looked much better, but we did not want to continue treatment without approval. The receptionist and the nurse were very very nice. When the nurse presented me with the list of things to do regarding the eye, the bill came to $150.00. This bill was presented before the eye was ever even looked at. Totally going the whole nine yards right of the bat. I said I would rather continue the ointment as the eye was improving. If the eye did not improve, I would like to come back. The Vet said that would be another $33.00 for the second visit. Another $33.00 to walk through the door. I said ok. The vet then said," let me see that ointment". She said, I do not recommend anyone using any medication on one animal that has been prescribed for another. Then she reluctantly said, "although, the most probable treatment would have been that exact ointment. She was clearly aggravated. She made me an appt. for me to come back in a week. I will not go back there. For $45.00 the vet never even looked at the eye with the proper light. That was extra. I went there for the eye. One would think the vet would at least look at the eye with the eye light tool. I told the receptionist I would not be back and that for $46.00 I received absolutely nothing. She was very apologetic. I told her it was not her fault but the company she works for. This receptionist was probably the most happy, friendly person I ever met. She has to be to work there. Banfield needs someone like her . I can only guess the no. of irate customers that place must encounter. My kitties eye is all better. I suggest one go to an independent animal doctors office. This place is a rip. I saw it coming but still left with my wallet $46.00 lighter. Report 2. Written by Anonymous, on 10-08-2009 15:08 I work at a Banfield and I have to say that I am very sorry about your experience. That something like this should have happened to your baby is unspeakable. It sounds like this particular vet didn't give two *** and I totally agree with all of your points, and I'm going to be honest. The corporation IS in it for the money, and for the most part, they really don't care. HOWEVER, although I do feel you have a more than legitimate complaint, there are tons of employees of Banfield that really, really do care about animals, myself included. Again, I'm very sorry about your kitty and I hope that you find a better vet in the future. Report
Review
We brought our cat to Banfield and it was a huge mistake. She was having some bowel issues and it seemed like she was in pain, so we made an appt at the Banfield/Petsmart near our house. The first person who saw Kitty clearly had no idea about animals. He tried to...

I am extremely sorry to hear about your kitty, but being a LVT (yes, I went to school & took national boards) and working in a vet clinic for years (NOT Banfield), I have to say that most of the tests that the doctor recommended were just the minimum my clinic would have recommended!

What kind of 'bowel' problems was your kitty having? Diarrhea, incontinence, not passing, straining? There are SO many diseases that cause bowel issues that the doctor was covering all bases. Why play "let's see if this works" instead of doing the tests in the first place? Some times, if you are lucky, prescribed meds work without a hitch, but most of the time, you have to continue to go back to try different meds and do the testing anyways!

By law, every pet that walks into a clinic must have their temp taken (even if it's for a nail trim!). Ear therms will work, but not give an accurate temperature. Rectal is the most efficient way to get this done. An elevated temp may tell the doctor of more of an underlying problem that may be lurking.

Blood work is imperative of any animal that is sick. Usually a CBC (WBC count, platelet count, etc.) & an internal organ function (liver/kidney values) will be ran. Even if you think they are not important, those results can tell us if pain/gastrointestinal issues/renal or hepatic issues are causing the bowel problems and help us determine a diagnosis and what other tests/meds should be ran or prescribed.

Most doctors I have worked for will not prescribe any meds without running blood work first. Say your kitty had early stages of renal failure that was causing the diarrhea. Some medications are contraindicated for animals in renal failure and can actually make the problem worse and can speed up the process of the failure. Most pain meds are excreted by the liver or kidneys and if those are the underlying problems, it could exacerbate the damage by putting the kitty in even more pain than before. The medications shouldn't have even been offered to you until that blood work came back!

With the way they handled your cat while collecting urine is a bit excessive. IMO, you shouldn't have to fight with an animal to do any tests!! In my clinic, we always have at least 3 people working with one animal when we collect urine. And we always muzzle the animal, no matter how sweet they are! When collecting urine, most of the time it's not easy to wait for an animal to urinate, so we do a cystocentesis. The animal is stretched out on its back with one person holding the front legs, another holding the hind legs and the 3rd person palpating the abdomen to find the bladder and a needle is inserted through the abdominal wall into the bladder to collect the urine. This is the most sterile way to get the best sample possible.

The one thing I LOVE about the clinic I work in, is that we explain WHY we are doing the tests and try to explain everything in layman's terms that people will understand. I know that before I got into this field, I would ask a doctor a question and would get medical-mumbo-jumbo and not understand a word they would say! It sounds like this vet did that to you, and I apologize for them! And, if you ask for the testing to be done in the room, most doctors comply and don't mind collecting blood/urine in front of you. :)

I hate hearing about incompetent vets & staff, it makes people look at our industry in such a negative light! Good luck in the future, and I hope that the next vet you visit will be more helpful and explain things a bit better!

Review
#151961 Review #151961 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Paramus NJ- RUN do not walk away from this poor excuse for a vet.PetSmart has also lost my business. Our Lab cut his pad so we called and were told we could bring him. After telling us about the Wellness plans I finally just asked how much for a visit. $45 plus any...

:( ... In my personal experience ALL banfield wants is your money and keeping your pet alive so they can continue to overcharge you.

When my plan is up, I am out. I'm tired of having a 400$ vet bill every 6 months when the wellness plan was supposed to save me money.

Review

Banfield pet hospital not a good vet

we adopted a puppy,signed up for the banfield wellness plan. A few months into the plan I was told that they were shutting their offices that week, and that the plan would be transferred to the nearest banfield clinic to carry out the remainder of our year contract. Unknowingly, they managed to slip a new wellness plan agreement into the other documents we were signing for consent for treatment and are now being charged double membership fees. Banfield has stated they will not cancel the membership or the membership fees for the plan from the hospital that closed. double payments for one plan... ridiculous

I have been with Banfield for about 1 week, I already greatly regret my decision. I will admit that I baby my animals a little bit, but they are my babies.

:) I have a 3 1/2 year old black lab(fully vaccinated and not a patient of Banfield) and a 6 month old black lab/boxer/springer spaniel mix. Needless to say, it was the 6 month old that was enrolled in the Banfield Wellness Plan. When presented with this plan I was amazed at the money I would save compared to other vets locally. But Banfield is definitely getting that money saved out of me.

I started a new job recently and therefore have been unable to take my babies for walks on a daily basis like they are used to. So over this last month they have been nowhere but the backyard...fenced backyard. The 6 month old went into Banfield on Friday to get her first vaccinations and shots, (this is about 3 weeks after we got her) and on Monday went in to be spayed. Wednesday morning she started presenting with the symptoms for Parvo.

I took her into the vet on Thursday morning, about 28 hours after she first started throwing up. The vet REFUSED any possibility that she could have contracted the virus there. The only way to get Parvo is through direct contact with an infected dog, or its ***....SHE HADN'T BEEN NEAR ANY DOG OTHER THAN OUR VACCINATED DOG!!!!! ...except for while she was there.

so, Thursday i paid almost $200 of the money i was 'saving' by using their wellness plan. Oh, and their 12-month wellness plan CANNOT be canceled or transferred, so if our baby doesn't make it through the Parvo, we will be paying for all her shots, vaccines and anything else she ISN'T getting for the next 11 months.

Needless to say, after 1 week, i am a VERY pissed consumer!!! :(

It does not sound like a lie, it sounds like your a Banfield employee. Possibly they were upgraded to a higher level in the plan.

that sounds like a lie. i've transfered my plans in and out of state with no problem

View more comments (2)
Loss

Banfield Pet Hospital in Palm Springs, California - Ripped off/don't take your dog there!

I took my dog in for an abcess and they charged me 150 dollars to send out one fluid sample to be tested since they do not have there own lab! Not to include 45 dollars for the visit. They also perscribed an antibiotic that cost 55 dollars. Then they perscribed another antibiotic that was 96 dollars. I left feeling really ripped off so.. I looked on the internet sites for the two antibiotics which claim their perscriptions are half price it would have cost me 45 dollars! But if they were full price they would still have only been 90 dollars!! Banfield charges 3 times the amount you could buy them for on the internet!!! Soooo....SHOP AROUND FOR PERSCRIPTIONS and take your pet somewhere else not Banfield!!!!

you are the ***. Buying something off craig's list and buying something from an online e-tailor are two different things you moronic Petsmart worker.

Sounds like there's a few Banfield homers onboard. I understand, they're defending their paychecks...

Banfield does not have a "lab" that your pet needed, because the lab work that you dog needed, has to be done through an outside lab where there is a pathologist. You know, there are speciality doctors in vet medicine too, just like human.

And as far as the cost, it is because Banfield does practice a much higher quality of medicine than other vets!

You get what you pay for! And the meds were prob cheaper online because they are not reallty meds!

LOL go ahead and order all your meds online. You may not get what you need to make your dog better.

And Banfield does not sit there and tell you that you ARE taking these meds. You signed an estimate. You agreed to allow them to care for your pet. You paid for those meds.

If you had a problem, you should have declined treatment. Thats like me going to an att store to buy a phone but then finding it on craigslist considerably cheaper and then *** at att for not selling their phones for the craigslist price. Seriously...you are dumb. PS If you have a problem paying that much for abscess treatment, prevent it from happening.

Its called responsibility!! ***.

View more comments (3)

Banfield Pet Hospital San Leandro,CA

My wife and I have two Cane Corsos, they are 5 and 4 years old now. We've been taking them to Banfield since they were born. We have never been so pissed off like this before. Today we took them in for there schdule Comprehensive Exam,and was told by the Tech that the Doctor would have to put our dogs to sleep before she would examine them,when i asked to speak to the Doctor the Tech left out. The Doctor has never met our dogs or us. Our dogs have never bit, or growled, or showed any aggressive signs towards anyone at any of their previous check ups.But this Doctor feel the need to put our dogs to sleep to do a simple exam. I sit there with my dogs while thye examine our dogs.Its not like i leave them there .Not only do i pay $31.95 and $39.95 a month for their Wellness Plan, but now she wants me to pay $100 per dog to put them to sleep,how crazy is that.This lady Vet at San Leandro,CA Banfield,Had the nerve to tell my wife and I that we can get out and not come back. AFTER THEY DEBIT MY CHECKING ACCOUNT $8,628 A YEAR. She has the nerve to try and take another $200 to sadate both our dogs before she will touch them,this is an out rage.

I am a CSC @ Banfield Pet Hospital and as i appreciate your concern you CAN NOT judge EVERY Banfield based on ONE hospital.

Review

Banfield Pet Hospital is a Rip Off!!!!

I had Banfield for my dog since when he was a puppy. I recently moved to a city where there is not a Banfield Pet Hospital and wanted to cancel the service. Just so everyone knows even if you move to a city without a hospital you continue to pay the the monthly fee until the end of the contract. So in essence you are paying for a service you cannot use! They are useful when there is a hospital you can use. But just beware the customer service is poor if you want to cancel your account. They will charge you the rest of the year.

Yes I agree they are and techs treat customers like we are cheating them when actually they are scamming us! they refused to give me my evolution for my other cat, lied and swore they gave it to me.

and told me to use my other cats evolution. calling me a liar !! I am not tolerating this at all, I don't care if they do charge me.

I am not paying and am canceling and never to return to these *** again Hixson Tn. Victoria

I work at a banfield myself and have a lot of grievances with the place... HOWEVER, the person who posted this thread is the epitome of the client that *** me off most.

You are TOLD when you sign up on a WP that you are paying in installments for care that you are going to recieve over the course of a year. If you have already used your allotted services, do you really expect the company to say, "Oh well, we know you used $400 worth of services, and we've only recieved $30 of that, but since you were too *** to research where you were moving, we'll just eat the cost"?

Come on now. And even if your hospital didn't tell you (which they SHOULD have), you should be smart enough to read your *** contract before signing it.

I just quit a Banfield and can tell you that behind the scenes, all they care about is money. I have seen animals suffer because of overbooking.

I even saw Pet Nurses joking around with a cat that was put to sleep. TERRIBLE place.

View more comments (2)
Review
I am in a very angry place right now. June 10, 2009 I took my darling Precious in for a routine dental cleaning. The nurses told me that she would be "foggy" for a day or so. June 13, 2009 she wasn't any better. In fact, she could barely walk, would not drink water or...

they need to be reported to the Board for their incompetence. Banfield also misdiagnosed my mother's cat - they told her she had megacolon when in fact she had a tumor growing in her stomach. It was only until it was too late - she was brought to an emergency clinic and put to sleep there because the tumor was inoperable.

Review
On 5/30 I took my brand new miniature schnauzer to Banfield, Hurst, TX. I bought in to the Wellness Program and got her rabies shot & an exam. Exam showed a healthy pup. She had NO issues. They recommended that she be spayed before her first cycle. So the surgery...

Kgflores62 - Since it has been sometime since your puppy had the surgery I was hoping yo could tell us how she is. Did she grow out of the incontinence?

I had mine schnauzer puppy spayed & had a hernia repaired at the same time. She had no problems with the spay. It did take sometime for her hernia repair to heal, but she's great now. I'm a schnauzer lover too.

I've got 4 of them. Hope yours is doing okay & she grew out of the incontinence.

Review
To: Peninsula Veterinary Associates 1120 George Washington Memorial Hwy (Route 17) Yorktown, VA 23693 757-881-9075 Re: May 4, 2009 Attention: Karen Garner The following is a chronological account of my experience at Banfield Emergency Clinic. As an emergency clinic...

Wow, this is AWFUL! I can't believe they treated poor Jeter (and you) like that......disgusting.

I'm glad he's ok now! One thing I do want to tell you though, is that it's hard to tell if an animal (or human) is going to be ok after ingesting substances like tylenol, ibuprofen, etc.

I understand it destroys the liver (overdoses) which takes a few days.......I knew a gentleman whose daughter took an overdose of Tylenol. They got her charcoaled and stabilized, but it took its toll on her liver 3 days later and she died :(

Loss