Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show

Banfield Pet Hospital in Mission Viejo, California - Lets Do a Class Action People !! My Pet was Mistreated also

In short I took my cat to a Petsmart Bandfield In Foothill Ranch Ca. He had a blood running out his mouth. The Dr. who saw him informed me she was schooled at a Animal Cancer Collage And just by "Looking" at my cat in one second of her walking threw the door told me he was dieing of cancer. No test where run, she didnt even look at him closely,only from the door way !! she made this up by just walking threw the door that he had cancer and he was not going to make it.I demanded med's , which she gave me after a 30 min ordeal.I wiped my cats mouth off in the room and took him home.His bleeding stopped and he was fine by morning and still is ! It was his tooth had broke off. I went back to talk to the Dr.. but she wouldnt see me. I asked for her report which took me 3 times of going back to get it. On the report it says nothing about cancer, It states he was in "Perfect Health" Humm where's the cancer report ? This was 6 months ago and my cat is still fine. NO cancer ! Never had it in the first place ! I asked her how this so called tumor could come up on his face with in a hour and also vanish just as fast ? She informed me cancer just works that way. When I asked to speak to her in person she was always busy yet I would see her threw the glass sitting there . She called me once to see if she could make my visit better some how .. I said NO. The reason i want to close this place down is because as i was there this little old lady came out with her dog in her arms and oaid a huge bill !! I am 10000% sure it was all un-needed..I felt so bad for her . I want this place shut down for that reason. This little old lady is who I am fighting for along with ALL the animals who also need our help. How can we ALL get together to make our stories heard ? Any idea's people ? We together can make a differance.
#1196868

I'm writing a letter to Banfield corporate and copying the attorney general and the WA State Insurance Commissioner. And I too will spread the word on Banfield's immoral and incompetent practices that killed my beloved cat.

I will join in a suit against Banfield they need to stop all of these testing, they didn't treat our dog they just wanted to run up the bill and sign us up on the plan to save money.lol meanwhile my pet was not being given the insulin she so needed so badly. The vet said it was urgent. But they didn't even have insulin in the office.

We had to put her down.

We got a 4 1/2 month old sheltie from a breeder. We had 48 hrs to have her checked or the breeder would not be responsible for any congenital abnorm. The vet said she was in perfect health, but they needed to repeat all vaccines and deworming because the breeders often store and administer vaccines improperly.

I new it would cost us about 100 to get a neuter at our local vet which didn't cover any pre-op blood work so, when they mentioned the wellness plan I thought it sounded like a good idea. We returned 3 wks later for booster shots and after giving them and preparing to set up his neuter before the 6 month date they informed me the dog had a heart murmur and they wouldn't operate unless he received a heart ultrasound that would run at least 250 dollars.

I don't know if the dog has a heart murmur but I will have that checked at my vet.

I wish I would have checked into this place before going there. I arrived for my 9:00 appt. along with one other person and heard them check in 2 others. Do not sign up for the wellness plan!!! If you do cut your losses make sure you cancel 30 days in advance in writting by registered letter. Don't let them *** you.

I would like to be involved in the class action suit. In February, I took my puppy in because he was vomiting. I waited 3 hours before I was seen, and then when I finally got in a room they told me that I was going to have to leave him because they needed to do x-rays. I was told that the cost would be $300-$350.

2 hours later I go in to get my puppy and was escorted into the back. The doctor basically performed other tests that I did not authorize, and then bullied (saying I am a bad dog owner and irresponsible) into getting other tests done.

The final cost came out to be $653; and boy was I upset! They told me my puppy has acid reflux and to give him Prevacid everyday. Really? All the time and money I spent and that is all they come up with? I signed a paper telling them to stop treatment and contact me if the price exceeded my estimate. Anyone else have a problem with them?

Comments (3)

1. Written by om, on 17-03-2010 22:06

acis reflux can cause vomiting in babies why not dogs?

2. Written by veryupset, on 13-03-2010 15:14

I actually just left Banfield with my sick dog (she has been vomiting and has had diarrhea for several days). I took her in 2 days and they did some tests which totaled about $150. All the tests came back negative, so they prescribed a medicine for upset stomachs and a follow up exam. I went back this morning, ended up spending another $240 only to find out that those tests came up negative. Now they want to do X-Rays, but in the meantime have prescribed two more medications in the hope they might help, one for bacterial infections and one for viral infections. In other words, they have no idea what is wrong and are blindly prescribing her medication. You would think that $400 later one would actually know what was wrong, but still they want me to come back again. I think I should just switch vets.

contact me about brownjn2@email.sc.edu

I would agree that the veterinarian diagnosing cancer immediately was odd. I would recommend not using her any longer, as I'm sure you've already done.

But to assume that this little old lady paid a lot of money for nothing is preposterous. You have no way of knowing why her dog was there, what was done and why. There are plenty of reasons why a dog may need a lot of diagnostics and some owners are fine pursing them in order to find out the cause of the problem.

I am fine with you stating facts, as you have. But don't be fighting against imaginary rip offs when you don't have the evidence.

I want to enter into the class suit. Please email me info if you are going to start one at: socalstar88@gmail.com I have been taking my 7 month old Great Dane there since I got her at 3 months old.

They have broken two of her ribs during her spaying process and we only found this out after she got an xray done at an emergency vet and they pointed it out that it happened two months prior which pinpoints it on them. The wanna-be vets have no clue what they are talking about.

You pay monthly yet your animal doesnt even get a full check up when your there. It is such a scam and I would love to bring them down!

I used to take my cats there but never liked the staff and paid a ton of money for their Wellness Plan. And if your pet gets sick after hours you have to take them to an urgent care facility that is not covered on your plan. Go to other reputable places.

EVERYWHERE I GO I TELL PEOPLE DON'T BRING THEIR DOGS TO THIS PLACE, THEY KILL DOGS, IT IS ONLY A GINNEA PIG FARM THEY HAVE INTERNS WHO PRACTICE ON YOUR PETS WHETHER THEY LIVE OR NOT IS NOT OF INTEREST, YOUR PET IS USED FOR PRACTICE. EVEN THE QUOTE "DVMS DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING", THEY WILL ACCUSE YOU AND MAKE YOU FEEL GUILTY THAT YOU DIDN'T PROPERLY CARE FOR YOUR PET JUST SO THEY DON'T TAKE THE BLAME.

THEY TELL YOU THAT YOUR PET DIED BECAUSE THEY HAD OTHER PROBLEMS, WELL GEE WIZ, WHAT DID WE TAKE OUR PETS TO THEM FOR QUOTE ON QUOTE "HOSPITAL WHERE YOUR PETS ARE TREATED LIKE FAMILY, AFTER ALL ISN'T THAT WHAT YOU PAY THEM FOR SO THEY CAN TELL YOU WHAT YOUR PET NEEDS" DUH !IDIOTS THEY ARE. THEY COULD CARE LESS ABOUT YOUR PET AND FORGET ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS. OH!

AND DON'T BE THERE WITH YOUR SICK DYING PET AND THEY HAVE TO LOCK THE DOORS THEY WILL KICK YOU OUT AND SEND YOU TO ANOTHER CLINIC WHICH YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR UP FRONT OUT OF YOUR POCKET. YEAH WE NEED THE CLASS ACTION SUIT STARTED, I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.

BANFIELD KILLED MY BEAUTIFUL DOG, THEY STRANGLED HIM. I WILL JOIN THE CLASS ACTION SUIT IN A HEARTBEAT. ITS BEEN CLOSE TO A YEAR AND I HAVE GOTTEN ANOTHER DOG BUT STILL AM DEPRESSED ABOUT MY BEAUTIFUL BIG BABY THEY STRANGLED.

I am in a very angry place right now. June 10, 2009 I took my darling Precious in for a routine dental cleaning.

The nurses told me that she would be "foggy" for a day or so. June 13, 2009 she wasn't any better. In fact, she could barely walk, would not drink water or eat, and would barely respond to her name being called. I took her to the Banfield with Urgent Care and they could not figure out what was wrong with her.

They did some x-rays thinking that she had GVD, and they were negative. They gave her an IV trying to keep her hydrated. I left there wondering what the *** was wrong with my dog. I had just spent $318 and had no answer.

Sunday afternoon she was worse. I took her to the Banfield by my house and they thought that she had pancreatitis. They ran the test, and it was negative. At approx 1:30 she was given a shot of atropine because her heart rate had dropped down to 50.

So I went from having a very lethargic dog with a low heart rate to a lethargic dog with a fast heart rate. They sent me on my way. They said the shot should last about 12 hours. Well, at approx 3pm on that same day, we were back at Banfield.

They gave her an IV and another shot of atropine at 4:30 because her heart rate had dropped again. I took her home still not understanding. About 6:30 her heart rate dropped again. Because the Banfield by my home was closed, I drove across town to the Urgent Care Banfield.

We discussed possible Addison's. The doc suggested that I take her to Gulf Coast Vet Specialists here in Houston. She was given another shot of atropine prior to our trip across town to GCVS. I arrived at the ER of GVCS and she was admitted for observation and then Monday morning transferred to ICU.

I left there at 11pm and was back at 6:30 Monday June 15, 2009. (My birthday) I was able to sit and cuddle with her for about an hour before moving her to ICU upstairs. Once in ICU I got to speak with the doc. From the get-go, they were concerned that she had a stroke.

I went ahead and signed all the necessary paperwork to have all the tests under the sun taken. Including hte $600 Addison's test. I left Precious there in ICU and came back at 4pm to visit with her. She looked alittle better, but was still in the "fog." I came back Tuesday morning and she seemed worse to me.

But the docs explained that they had worked her pretty good that morning and was exhausted. I could see that! So, I left and came back at 4pm Tuesday afternoon. She was SOOOO much better.

She was still "foggy" but she was responsive! I got the results for the Addison's test, and they were negative. Thank goodness!! The doc mentioned that if she keeps improving like she was, then I could take her home Thursday, June 18, 2009.

** Please know that I took video of my darling Precious every visit!! ** So I left Tuesday night with a lot of hope!! Before leaving I made my 10 am appointment to come by the next morning for a visit with my girl. I received a call at 8am from the nurse and she said to not wait for my 10am visit, and that I needed to come by ASAP.

She explained to me that she was not eating and that they had started to notice some head tremors. Of course, I RUSHED to GCVS. When I got there, they brought my girl in. She was not really with it.

The doc said that she could walk because she is strong, but she was not coordinated at all. so the doc left us alone. I went to a corner and called my Precious to me. She walked the 3 steps but not very well.

I inturn walked to the other side of the room and called her. She had a hard time turning around and then once turned around, she ran into the walk and then walked along the wall with her head tilted against the wall. After that, she was done.........exhausted!! I laid her down and then I saw for the first time her head start to tremor.

She started having little seizures and I called the doc in. She said that she could give her anti-seizure medicine, but she will not get any better. Right then, I knew that I had to let my baby girl Precious go. I laid behind her and snuggled her and told her how much I loved her and that I was sorry.

The doc came in and administered the meds and then my baby was gone. The doc thanked me for allowing them the opportunity to do everything they could to help her. GCVS was absolutely fantastic. I wonder if Banfield would have sent me there sooner, if Precious would have made it.

My Precious suffered for days while the docs at Banfield scratched their heads. GCVS said that Precious had a stroke while getting her teeth cleaned and that she did not receive the proper amount of oxygen which caused the stroke. I am in such an angry place right now. I spent approx $4000 from Saturday June 13, 2009 to Wednesday June 17, 2009 and she is still gone!

I am all about joining some kind of lawsuit against Banfield.

Their Incompetence caused me to lose Precious. My loss is totally indescribable!!!

View more comments (9)
Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Deland, Florida - More info about Daytona Beach Banfield :(

On Saturday, I brought my cat in for his annual vaccinations according to his wellness plan. During the visit, my cat was diagnosed with an ear infection. He had not demonstrated any signs of this at home, no scratching his ears, redness, inflammation, or shaking his head, but I took their word for it. They poked around his ears with a q-tip then proceeded to take him to a treatment area in the back where they said they would clean his ears and give him antibiotics. Once home, he seemed ok, but as the night wore on he began to hold his head tilted to one side and started stumbling when he walked. He got so bad, he could barely walk and would not eat. I returned to Banfield the next morning and asked how my healthy cat became so sick, when the only change had been their "caring" for him....they could not explain. They said he must have an inner ear infection and they would need to run tests, etc. which are not covered by my wellness plan. They also wanted to shoot him up with more meds. Needless to say, I would not let them do anything else to him. Later that evening, I noticed my cat had gotten worse. He could not get up from the floor without falling and his eyes were jumping back and forth rapidly. I brought him to the emergency vet who told me his eardrum had been torn and there was "cleaning" fluid in his inner ear. She gave me some antibiotics and told me it may be 2-6 weeks before he gets better. Bottom line...the eardrum may never heal itself and my cat may have permanent balancing and gait problems thanks to Dr. Dutcher and the pet nurse at Daytona Beach Banfield. I have filed a former complaint and hope Banfield will have the decency to admit they screwed up..... Signed, Sad about my best friend :(
Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Deland, Florida - Healthy cat goes in, sick cat comes home

I brought my cat in for his annual vaccinations according to his wellness plan. During the visit, my cat was diagnosed with an ear infection. He had not demonstrated any signs of this at home, no scratching his ears or shaking his head, but I took their word for it. They proceeded to take him to a treatment area in the back where they said they would clean his ears and give him antibiotics. Once home, he seemed ok, but as the night wore on he began to hold his head tilted to one side and started stumbling when he walked. He got so bad, he could barely walk and would not eat. I returned to Banfield and asked how my healthy cat became so sick, when the only change had been their "caring" for him....they could not explain. They said he must have an inner ear infection and they would need to run tests, etc. which are not covered by my wellness plan. They also wanted to shoot him up with more meds. Needless to say, I would not let them do anything else to him and now have to find a reputable vet to fix my kitty. I cannot tell you how sad I am to watch my cat suffer, especially since I feel it is my fault for taking him to that *** vet. I must say the Banfield doctor I previously went to in Orlando was the best doctor, but I am not happy with this new one (I moved and had to switch locations). I see so many people who have sad stories about Banfield and now I am one of them. Signed, Sad about my best friend :(
Review
We had an extremely bad experience with Banfield The Pet Hospital in Manahawkin NJ. We were initially very satisfied with Banfield, they conned me into the plan, what a waste of money that was. The 3 cats contracted a skin disorder, and after hundreds of dollars to...

There are too many complaint on different on line sites about Dr Condella, and his greed and rudeness.I just wish I had researched this facility before I wasted my time and money.

Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Houston, Texas - My daughter's puppy died from negligence at banfield

my daughter's 7 week puppy died due to negligence at the NW Freeway Houston,Tx Banfield location. The vet gave our puppy a prescription that was too strong for him. same day came home followed orders given,then our puppy started to cry,layed there on the floor didn't want to get up or eat. we called the location scared,and the vet wouldn't even come to the phone,got transfered around were told to rinse again,and wait for three days to see if ok. I even went to the location to find out what was to happen,just sent me away,and our puppy didn't even make it for the 3rd day. i called to let them know,they wanted me to take the puppy in to get a optopsy at our expense,and to top it off they told me i was 1 day late to cancel my wellness plan. now i'm stuck paying for a whole year and without my puppy. no customer service,no manager, no wellness line,and no corporate supervisor is gonna give us our dog back and neither our money! So watch out this is not a good pet hospital and they don't care.

Why did your dog need a prescription?

If you pet was that sick why would you wait for 3 days???

I highly doubt that they turned away a sick puppy...

I sense some BS...

never again!

:cry

View more comments (1)
Loss

Banfield Pet Hospital in Houston, Texas - Banfield overpriced. Shop around first.

We are victims of the wellness program. The primary thing that this is good for is getting you the doctor so that they can do procedures that are not on the plan. While many procedures may be needed, it seems others are just extra revenue for Banfield. Be careful about the 10% discount... Banfield has proven to be 40-70% higher than independent vets in our area. We had a procedure quoted at Banfield for $845.00 which a good independent vet did for $211.00. We are cancelling our wellness program as it is just a tool of profit for Banfield. Please do your homework on Banfield before handing over your cash.
#219748

I agree totally. My experience has been similar and am moving my furry children to another vet.

Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Long Valley, New Jersey - Banfield could've save my lab if they would have done x-ray

Last December I took my 9 mo lab in because he could not keep food down. I repeatedly told them he would eat clothing and needed to be checked for that. Instead of x-rays, we need to draw blood, fecal test, etc. I told them I didn't have the money to be doing all those test. I was told he had pancreatitis after the blood work. Next day brought back. Now they had a test to see if it was pancreatitis, another charge. a couple of days later he gets diagnosed with intestinal gastritist. After 10 days and my puppy is loosing so much weight and can't keep food down, they finally do xrays. this was after telling them repeatedly he eats things. He chewed through Iv in the kennel. on New's Eve I was refered to another hospital cause they were closing. They did x-rays and the vet told me he had swallowed clothing. if it's panty hose it would not be good. They started surgery and his intestine had ruptured. Panty hose were found. It was not good and he had to be put down. If they would have x-rayed him that first day, my puppy would still be alive. Now they don't want to compensate for all the cost, plus they are still billing me monthly for him after I asked them to cancel...... i don't recommend Banfield nor will I ever go there. Looking for a lawyer that will take the case against Banfield. It won't return my baby but it would help with the unnessary cost and heart ache I went through spending New Years Eve in the waiting room of a hospital and to have to put my baby down was so hard.
Loss
After buying a full blooded Persian Cat we decided to take her to Banfield to complete the required shots. Of course we were pressured every time to buy their wellness plan. We knew that we would eventually get her declawed, so we went with plan. We dropped her off...

Guess what people, declawing a cat is p to the owner. It does not remove their only defense as declawing is usually only the front claws and they are very good at biting.

They can also still climb trees very well without any claws at all.

And while I think spaying or neutering is a good thing, responsible breeding of purebreeds is good. I have a purebred dog and a mixed breed I adopted, and I have the purebred because I grew up with them and love the breed.

Y'all really need to be able to look at all sides of a situation and stop being so intolerant and telling people to die.

Review
I have spent roughly 870.00 to have my healthy puppy get his shots, worming meds and neutering from Banfield. On each routine visit I was given the hard sell by the Nurse after the vet left the room where they would go on to tell me the additional charges associated...

The reason why places such as "P.A.W.S" are so much cheaper is because they only do the bare essentials. Banfield does 4 different type of blood tests before to diagnose any problems before putting the animal under anesthesia.

They also place an IV cather to give IV fluid support during surgery and have an open port to shoot any emergency medication if anything were to go wrong. If something were to happen under anesthesia at a place that can not afford to place IV catheters - the patient might not be able to get the drug to save their life in a timely manner because the doctor does not have any access to their vein. Also at banfield, all animals undergoing surgery get pre-meds to control pain. Along with other benefits, Banfield is the optimal place for veterinary surgery and to me it is worth the money.

Also - those supportive drugs (atropine and glycopyrrolate) are used in EMERGENCIES.

If one was used it is because your pet's heart rate was dangerously low.

These drugs run from 20-35$. Is an extra 20 dollars really not worth saving your pet's life?

Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Manteca, California - Banfield Doesn't honor the Vet's Oath

Banfield hospital has proved time and time again that they do not believe or follow the Vet's Oath. We have set up a site that you can join to fight Banfields poor practices. Feel free to make suggestions as to what should be included in this future Class Action Suit naming Banfield as a defendant. Help be a part of the change and make Banfield take their well deserved blame for letting many pets suffer and even die, over charge for medical plans, etc etc. Banfield Pet Hospital is completely corporate and does not believe in serving animals health as a first priority. JOIN US! www.banfieldclassaction.webs.com

Hi, I know why you are frustrated with Banfield, however, the funny thing about Banfield is that while being very corporate, they're 100% different from one another. One of my FAVORITE vets was at the Banfield in Folsom California.

I move a lot and have been to many many different hospitals, and each Banfield has been totally different. The doctors range from Great to very Poor, the prices range from "Holy Cow! How much?!" to "Not bad!", the staff varies as well. One Banfield I went to had a wretched vet (Monroeville, PA).

She was cranky and didn't communicate and she wanted $400 for one blood titer test. I went to the banfield in Cranberry, PA and the vet and staff were wonderful and charged me $200 for both my dogs to have the titer test. So what I'm trying to say is that to Ban Banfield completely is not really rational. Test different ones.

If the vet at your local Petsmart is lame don't go.

As far as the Wellness Plan goes, that can be confusing. I personally find no value to it after the first year. As a puppy it's fantastic as it takes enormous amounts off your first sets of Vaccinations AND Spay/Neuter is included. Not to mention de-worming and the Exam fees associated with these visits.

It's a great deal for your first year puppy. After that, I drop it and instead keep a regular health insurance on my dogs to cover injury and illness as routine care isn't as expensive as the wellness plan. Banfield is not exempt from the insurance, they just help fill out a claim form and you mail it in. These companies are: Pet Care Insurance, Veterinary Pet Insurance, TruPanion, ASPCA even has one, and there are more breaking through all the time.

Be sure to compare plans and find the one that will cover genetic things as much as possible.

OK, sorry about the long rant. Hope it clears up things a little.

I think part of the problem with the wellness plans is that they are not explained properly. It is not like insurance for humans.

These plans do not cover sickness. They are there to provide preventive care that a pet needs in a typical year and instead of paying for all of the preventive care at each visit. These services are grouped into a package and you can pay for it in monthly installments at a reduced cost than you would pay if you paid for each service individually. The reason why after a pet passes on or is given to another owner you still have to pay for the plan for the entire year is becaue typically a majority of the services have been used and if you just paid for the services already used at normal retail you would owe more than would be left in your monthly installments.

It is a strong misconception that it is insurance, it is not you are paying for a bundle of services that you are getting at a reduced cost. In addition you then get free office visits and 10-20% off the other services and medications not included in the plan.

No one is intentionally trying to cause heartache for anyone they are trying to offer the best medicine possible at a reduced cost. I know this maybe hard for some to believe but that is the goal.

rudy01

I agree with post. I have two dogs under banfield pet insurance and they are always trying to charge extras such as steroids for my dogs allergies which my prior vet spent trying to figure out what was ailing him.

Vet never explains comprehensive although I have a lab mix which they put as a terrier mix with age way wrong even though I gave correctly; as having a condition which is kinda important in his legs which once researched was a common probem in labs.

My other dog is a yorkie who is also under banfield health insurance. They really donts care for pets health and I would gladly join any action against them.

View more comments (2)