Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
1.7
We adopted a puppy from the local shelter about a month ago. A week after adopting her we noticed she had some stool with blood in it and a slight cough. We took her in and bought her a the puppy plan. Payed for it all up front.By the way I am going to add I am a nurse...
Review
My dog was injured back in June and was in severe pain and when I called Banfield for appt, it was a Monday, to get in that day or next day they advised no appts till later that week, Friday. I had to go find a new veterinarian for treatment. Same thing happened in...
dissatisfield customer
advising the community

Banfield Pet Hospital in Tucson, Arizona - Spend thousands or "You are a bad pet owner" . . shame on you

I took in a old homeless dog and a few months later it developed a bad limp on its hind leg. After Banfield milking me for appointments and x-rays the vet told me the dog needed thousands of dollars put into it and if i did not do it i was "A bad owner" and continued to guilt trip me. With my 4 children in the room i explained to the vet that my children need shoes and this was a rescue dog. I would have to set priorities. Where do they get these people from? Completely out of touch with reality. Starving children 45 minutes south of here in Mexico and i am to believe i am a "bad owner". You should have seen the vets face when i told her i would fix the it with a .22LR as a last result. My kids loved on that limp dog for 2 more years till it died of old age.

You are my hero!! Same issue here, I had my three girls with me, She was all, "it's not fair to her (my puppy)!" The whole song and dance.

I mean, I totally get it, I'm not ***, but, the thing is I was actually already set up for the appointment to come in for the x-rays and a possible splint. But she jumped to conclusions, all her mannerisms told me that she assumed I didn't deserve a pet.

I'm not easily intimidated, so all those "you don't deserve a dog" vibes I received went over my head, besides my friend's hubby is a veterinarian.

The only problem is his practice is over in the next town, but they live in my area, they take dogs in as a rescue svc, so I could easily give her up to her, knowing she'll be ok.

But I just had to tell you, yes, your awesome!!

You threatened to shot the dog...were your poor children in the room then you did that...what kind of message does that send them about the value of an animals life?? I laugh to think you are self-rightious enough to have the audacity to call the vet a bad person if that is your attitude towards an animal?!?!?!

Seriously?? WTF!!!

It's a vets JOB to tell you the best way to diagnose or treat a problem, they would be liable if they didn't. Now IF (given how sensationalist you sound I doubt this even happened) they told you you were a bad owner that was wrong of them, but absolutely they had a responsibility to tell you what could be done to diagnose and/or fix your pet....and be upfront about the cost of it.

As for being out of touch with reality.

YOU are the one out of touch. The equipt & time to take Xrays, medicines, the salary of the vet/techs/receptionists, all of this costs money. Medical care is expensive. In human healthcare a lot of the time the true costs of everything are hidden because insurance covers it but there is just no such thing as cheap healthcare..........for people or for pets (a lot of times they use the same quality of equiptment, same drugs, vets also go through years & years of extra undergrad & postgrad training).

What did you expect..........that it would be free?? Get real.

@nohopeformankind

You need to get to get off your high horse! Banfield is known for extremely over charging patients!

She had enough compassion to take in a stray being a single mother of four children! Why not thank her for helping a elderly dog someone threw away love and care through his twilight years. My guess is you are a poorly trained cold hearted employee of Banfield. Why should she have the surgery, most likely her rescue dog would have died in the negligence care of Banfield.

You can love your animals and not get screwed by Banfield, and actually take your animals to a vet that cares and compassion, for a reasonable price. You are a ***!

View more comments (2)
Review
Pros
  • Clean
Cons
  • Staff attitude
Poor customer service
Loss
Preferred solution
Screen your employees and make sure they have common sense.

Banfield Pet Hospital in Roseville, California - The death of "Blu"

I initially observed the onset of behavior changes in my cat "Blu"., i.e., drooling, bleeding from the mouth, difficulty eating, weight loss, loss of appetite. I proceeded on 01/08/13, to take my cat to Banfield pet hospital, at which point a tooth cleaning led to a tooth extraction and other procedures totaling $l,056.82 including $322.40 for euthanasia on 02/14/13. A biopsy was never done as I went on line to discover my cat had tongue cancer. Recently they offered me $260.00 to settle the negligence which to me is a slap in the face. I remain without resolution.

Some of these people are whiny as ***, and you could see they're full of ***.

To charge for services that would not have been needed if the doctor were any good at practicing medicine because they misdiagnosed tongue cancer, that's *** up.

Review
I will never be going to banfield again my cat had a declaw done here and I insisted that she get the stitches not the glue and the dr said that's no problem just an extra charge.....received a call this morning that the stitches came apart...later found out I had been...

You clearly are not an animal lover if you would get your cat's claws ripped out.

View more comments
Review
Pros
  • How nice everyone seemed
Cons
  • Being lied to about a procedure
Lied to by vet
Full refund
Teeth cleaning should not KILL! We dropped-off a healthy dog at Banfield Hospital (Plantation, FL) on Saturday, October 11, and today (Wednesday, Oct. 15) he's DEAD. They knew our dog, Nano, had an enlarged esophagus and digestive issues, because of which we refused...

wish id seen this an known about the CAT thing before. i wasted hours trying to get hold of someone at CAT and all that happend after leaving my complaint was the office manager called left a message.

pointless.

i already spoke to her , i wanted someone higher up to talk to. DONT WASTE MY TIME.

View more comments
Review
I am typically not one to complain and I am as flexible as possible to try and avoid confrontation. However, tonight I gave my 45 pound, 11 month old puppy his monthly first shield trio-- typically he isn't a fan of it and shows annoyance but I figured he was just...

Banfield Pet Hospital - Wellness Plan Review from Jacksonville, North Carolina

I am always extremely disappointed with my service at Banfield. I made an appointment for my cat to get his routine shots. I was finally seen AN HOUR AND A HALF after my appointment time. The customer service is TERRIBLE. After his shots were done I stood in line behind two people and watched 2 of 3 associates stand around talking and finally 15 minutes later they asked if we were checking out and then proceeded to help us. If I hadn't been talked into purchasing a wellness plan for my cat I would NEVER go back.

me too. the only reason i go back is for the shots because i already paid for them in the plan but they are so slow and if you need a appointment quicly it can take days to get one so no good for when my pet gets sick.

also even though you wait for ages to see the vet is always a different vet and they only spend a little time with you so not worth the wait.

i tried getting out of my plan but they want to charge me to cancel it!!!!! i wish i had never heard of this place and had got a real vet at the start

I love Banfield. Such a great experience.

The lady's were so nice, respectful and full of knowledge!

I was impressed with the maturity and the front desk with how comfortable they made me & my pets feel. Great job!

View more comments (1)
Review
We took our 2 yr. old golden retriever in to be checked for coughing & vomiting. We suspected kennel cough. This was confirmed by the Vet. @ Banfield. She prescribed Temaril-P, 35 tablets; we only received 5 tablets. We were to get the remainder the next day. We...
Poor customer service
Preferred solution
Deliver product or service ordered

Banfield Pet Hospital - Summary

5.0
To everyone that thinks "oh, this problem is all Banfield's fault," let's look at some number. Banfield saw 2.3 MILLION dogs and nearly 0.5 MILLION cats last year alone. Currently there are 1118 complaints on this website. That's less than 0.1%. POINT ONE PERCENT!!! of people that complain. I'd say Banfield is doing pretty well. Also, people, if you sign a contract, you might want to actually read it! A Wellness Plan offers preventative care; it is not equivalent to insurance. If you want to have a pet, take some responsibility. You don't go to the grocery store and expect to walk out with free food. If your pet is sick, it costs ANY clinic money for equipment, tests, and employee training. And all anesthetic procedures come with a risk, even for healthy pets. Here's a good definition of the Wellness Plan: What is an Optimum Wellness Plan? Optimum Wellness Plans are designed to provide annual preventive care. They include head-to-tail exams, vaccines, early screening diagnostics, consultations for proper nutrition, dental care and more! Since wellness plans are not insurance, they do not include treatment for unpredictable or abnormal conditions, however discounts would apply. Because pets need ongoing preventive care, wellness plans automatically renew at the end of each twelve month period (unless paid in full at enrollment). One more important point: Google is NOT a doctor. Breeders are NOT doctors. Veterinarians go to college for a total of 8 YEARS, just like human doctors. Have a nice day. :)

Throwing out numbers to defend Banfield misses the point, substandard pet care is never acceptable. I understand that you work for Banfield and this is damage control, but when your pet is the victim of negligence, inexperience, or dies in their care, those statistics don't mean a thing.

For that person, its 100% certain, it happened to their pet.

And pet insurance for medical care should not be charged if your pet is no longer living. Clearly there will be no further medical expenses incurred for your pet.

@orangefire

A wellness plan is NOT insurance.

@Ally

Then your employees need to make that more clear when they sell them and managers need to not put their staff under pressure to sell these *** plans so much that they will do anything including lie to customers to sell them. our manager was always on us every day to sell this *** & so were her managers.

this company has to many managers making sales goals.

also these plans are ripoffs and under investigation for a group action lawsuit that their 'advertised savings' are a pile of *** and lies and that the savings are artificially inflated. its cheaper and better getting pet insurance that covers when your pet gets sick.

You must work for Banfield. This is not the only website with complaints about Banfield.

Our 4 month old dog almost died because of their vets lack of knowledge. I am not going to sit around and let this happen to any more animals, I am going to be sure the story is heard and a change is made!!!

Good luck if you bring a pet there, but for your pet's sake I really hope you don't.

And you did fail to mention if you even have a pet. I'm sure you just wrote this to keep your job and not have everyone thing Banfield sucks.

except that if you need anything not covered on their plan it is way marked up. my cat got sick & needed xrays & they wanted to charge $500, no payment plan possible even though my cat had been on a plan since she was a kitten.

i get that theyre a business but i dont have that kinda cash lying about so i called 2 other local vets.

both offered to do it for under $200 including their office visit fee & didnt need to charge extra to have someone else read the xray because their vets are trained better & can do it themselves. so ithis place is ok for the vaccines, but for sick pets i would shop about to see what your local vets prices are because for me it was way cheaper and i was able to be seen that day instead of having to wait days to get an appointment & be overcharged with banfield.

@dannyd

The consult is to have a radiologist read the x-ray. Any Dr is capable of reading their own x-rays, but a radiologist is able to detect subtle changes.

That's why they offer the consult.

It is not mandatory. It simply offers the best diagnostic option to you (since a specialist will get to see the x-ray as well).

@Anonymous

except that on this exact same website and on many others i visited i see multiple compliants about banfield vets misdiagnosing or misreading their xrays. that to me indicats that they are not capable of' reading their own xrays' as you state and need a radiologist or another ER vet to do it for them.

and if they felt confident in reading it why should the onwer be charge for an extra reading? what kind of drs do you hire or is it just all about getting an extra buck form the poor owners???

Nice try coorporate lap-dog. pat pat, well done you can recite what they told you to say.

Doesn't change the fact that Banfield has a well deserved, horrible reputation because it is nothing better than a vaccine clinic trying to pass itself off as an actual hospital. none of the 'hospital's are even open 24hrs, they can't keep anything over night, are too busy & too poorly staffed to deal with sick pets or anything that requires more than 10 mins. also from the 4 hospitals i tried when my pets had plans most of their vets seemed very inexperienced.

People wouldn't be as upset if they were more clear about what they can handle and what they can't, but they make it seem like they are a full service hospital able to deal with everything, and they are not. like any other big box company its all about the numbers, don't kid yourself otherwise.

@Ash

Not all the clinics are the same. The one I go to has very kind, intelligent vets who care very much for my senior dog.

@Ash

They're built to primarily provide preventative care, not emergency services. That's what vet ERs are there for.

@Anonymous

But the problem is they they do say they can cope with emergencies.

If they just said they were too busy to deal with sick pets/emergency cases then at least clients would know what to expect.

The one I worked at I heard my PM telling people all the time to 'just come in' if they have an emergency.....but our vet was a brand new graduate who didnt even feel comfortable doing a spay, nevermind anything more complicated. I would be scared for the pets who were sick coming to see her because she would have no idea what to do. Also Banfields are not open 24hrs so is we had these really sick pets come in because they were told to do so then we would have to refer them anyway because we cant keep anything overnight (no staff on site, the pet would literally be left alone unsupervised in a cage from 7pm-7am so anythingcould happen).So now the poor owner gets charged twice when they would have been better off going to the ER straight away. I agree, Banfield cannot cope with ER cases.

BUT THEY NEED TO BE HONEST WITH THEIR CLIENTS ABOUT IT!!!!!! They are just a vaccine clinic.

@bobbie

I completely agree with this. The receptionists should let clients know when people should just go to the ER, as Banfield is not capable of handling true emergencies.

On the other hand, some clients will just show up and get upset when told to go to the ER. So it works both ways.

harleyjunkey2011
@Ash

All 4 of my dogs go to Banfield and have the wellness plan. The vets at our clinic are very knowledgeable and willing to spend as much time with me and my dogs as I need.

They are careful to explain everything very clearly so I know exactly what to expect. The staff is also exemplary!

They recognize both my dogs and myself, and know us by name on sight. They make it a point to say hi to us anytime they see us in PetSmart even if they are hollering it across the store.

View more comments (12)