Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

Banfield Pet Hospital in Denver, Colorado - Banfield - stole our dog

After my dog started showing she was sick, we took her to Banfield. They told us the dog had a severe infection and needed an operation immediately. They said they didn't do operations but they found a hospital for us (who they never identified) who needed $1500 up front for her procedure. We asked to make payments and were told no one is going to let us do that. They then laid out our choices. 1. Let the dog die. 2. Put the dog down. 3. Sign the dog over to them and they will save her life. We had to decide right then because they said she only had hours left to live. I thought I understood that we would lose her either way so I signed the release so she could get help. Hours later, friends told me about the many options that I had that Banfield never mentioned. All Banfield said was how horrible we were to let our dog get sick and we should be grateful they saved her life. We would NEVER have signed that form if we knew we had options.
Banfield Pet Hospital

Hi Juliee - After reading your feedback, we would like to speak with you directly to gather more information. We strive to provide our clients and their pets with high quality medicine and exceptional client experiences on every visit.

We would appreciate it if you would call our Client Advocate Team 877-500-2288 or email cat(at)banfield(dot)com, so we can avoid this issue from occurring in the future. Most sincerely, Lisa Banfield Online Community Manager

Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Bartlett, Illinois - Not capable of treating sick or hurt dogs

I have three dogs that I take to Banfield hospital in Mt. Prospect,Il. One is being treated for kidney failure. On sunday oct.21st. I called said hospital at 9am because my dog with kidney failure had an open sore on her leg that was bleeding. I wanted the vet to see her. When I explained to the woman answering the phone she told me I could bring my dog in on monday. REALLY does this animal hospital leave no room for emergencies. Do they just do vaccines and wellness care? I had to call another banfield in Schaumburg that was more than accomadating to us. My question is do I have to go to a different hospital to get my dogs taken care of? Does the office in Mt. Prospect not want to take care of the animals after the inital exam. A reply would be appreciated. Thank you Faye Kase

It's sad but true that Banfield's are made to overbook appointments by their upper management. This means that their average vet sees 4+ appointments an hour all day leaving no time for emergencies unless an appointment cancels.

You can always walk-in but be prepared to wait several hours of all the scheduled appointments until you can be seen (unless it is truly life threatening (not just ill/midly wounded but LIFE THREATENING) in which case obviously they'll see you first - but that will *** off the other clients that will now have to wait). The poor staff are in a no-win situation.

If they take in emergencies it makes them get complaints from the clients with scheduled appointments to now have to wait or re-schedule, if they don't take in emergencies then then the owners of the sick pets are upset. It sucks for the staff, who have no control over how many appointments they are told to book :(

Banfield Pet Hospital

Hi Faye - Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback. I apologize for your experience with us, particularly the instance where they could not see you at your local hospital. I hear your frustration, and we’d like to discuss your experience to find opportunities for improvement.

I know that you didn't have a positive experience, but I am hoping that you see fit to reach out to our Client Advocate Team by calling 877-500-2288 or emailing cat(at)banfield(dot)com so we can help to improve future visits.

Most sincerely,

View more comments (1)

Banfield Pet Hospital in Inglewood, California - Wellness plan is a rip-off

Beware before you purchase the Banfield Wellness Plan. They will tell you that you get unlimited "free" office visits, however when you go in they double charge for everything else to make up for this. They mark up their prescriptions over 400%, you can get he same thing at Walmart for 1/10th of the cost. Secondly, they claim with this plan that you get a 10% discount on all services, however my son does not have the plan and he took his dog in to have the same thing as mine and he was charged the same as I was so I did not get the 10% discount as promised. They also put expiration dates on the labels they put on their medications that are 6 months earlier then the manufacturer date stamped right on the product causing people to toss these items and purchasing more long before it is necessary. To top it all off, I called them today telling them my dog needed emergency surgery. I called at 9:00 a.m., they told me they would call the surgeon and return a call to me, it is now 5:18 p.m. and they still haven't called me back. Fortunately I was able to find a competent vet to take care of my precious English Bulldog. I would strongly advise against the Banfield Wellness Plan and using their so-called vets.

I also have the Bain field Wellness plan

Is useless!!! every time I have taken my dogs in they always have some extra charges to add on.

All the time there wellness plan should have been helpful it was useless and expensive.

one of my dogs got hurt, I took her to Bain filed they charged me for x-rays and what ever else they could think of.. I got a free office visit lol; however my wellness plan did not cover x-rays and other *** I ended up paying $300. Then they tell me to go somewhere else for a surgery!!!

I take her to another vet they cant see the x-rays end up paying $250 dollars for another X-ray and being forced to get her fixed early, then being informed that my dogs leg is not broke!!! contact ban field no one has an answer as to why I was lied to.

Now my other dog is sick, I take her in get my "free office visit" then they call saying they will do blood work or x-ray rays for an additional $300 because this is not covered under my wellness plan!!!! they have the nerve to tell me I can take her to a cheaper vet, Why and the *** am I paying this monthly wellness plan when its useless!!! When pet medical insurance should come in to do its job its just a RIPOFF!!!!!

@S***YLEE

it's not insurance - it's a WELLNESS plan. It only covers PREVENTIVE medicine like vaccines and routine bloodwork and other yearly diagnostics.

@anon

Anon, you are one of their *** nurses leave people alone! Banfield is a scam!

Who waits hours when your dog needs emergency surgery? You take your dog to an emergency vet! That is their sole purpose!

Mimi2005 - Their contract doesn't cover their incompetence to contact a surgeon when I made it clear my dog needed immediate surgery (did you not read my entire review?), and it also doesn't tell you that they will charge you astronomical prices on prescriptions to cover what we think is a "free" office visit. I'm happy it's working for you and your pets, just hope that you never have anything life threatening with them that you will need to count on Banfield to handle.

Don't know how my review is "subjective", it's honest, straight to the point and outlines exactly what happened.

The only mistake I made was to not check online reviews prior to purchasing as their are thousands of poor reviews and very few positive ones. Guess you're one of the few lucky ones, for now anyway!

It sounds like you should have done more research before signing a contract. Your review seems very subjective. I've had my 5 pets on wellness plans since 2008 & I haven't had any problems at any of the 4 Banfield's I've visited.

I was contacted by the local representative from Banfield who could only give me excuses as to why they failed to contact me the day my dog needed surgery. She then told me they couldn't have done it that day anyway leaving me to wonder why they didn't tell me that at 9:00 a.m.

when I called the first time.

She then continued to make excuses telling me that they don't even have a surgeon and their vets aren't capable of doing this surgery (all of the other vets I called could do it, that says a lot about what they consider a vet).

Her only resolve was to take one month off of my plan ($31.95), that's what I get for them causing my dog to suffer with possible blindness and failing to call me about surgery that was necessary for him to live through the day. Unbelievable, please love your pet enough to not take them to a Banfield Pet Hospital, it could be the difference of life or death for your pet.

Lisa, I called the number above, after holding for over 10 minutes someone finally took my call and told me they needed to transfer to yet another person. I held again for several minutes only to voice my complaint and be told that someone would contact me in 3-5 business days.

You just wasted another 20 minutes of my time, I think this says it all, Banfield's customer service and relations team delivers the same poor service that your hospital delivers. Furthermore, when I picked my dog up I found that he is almost blind because your vets have been treating his eye problem with the wrong medication.

They told me they would need to perform a very expensive test to do anything further. Two other vets said they could do a $30 test to get the same diagnosis, hopefully they caught this in time and my dog won't go blind because of the incompetence of what your perception of a veterinarian is.

Dear Banfield online community manager,

You do not understand the frustration. You are being paid by wellness plan revenue.

Banfield Pet Hospital

Hi Mommabrown316 – I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with the commitment required of an Optimum Wellness Plan, and I am thankful that you voiced your concerns. We understand your frustration and would like the opportunity to further understand what happened.

If you would like to give us further information, please reach out to our Wellness Plan Relations Team at 866-894-7927 or WellnessPlanRelations(at)banfield(dot)net.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out and let us know. Most sincerely, Lisa Banfield Online Community Manager

@Banfield Pet Hospital

your company does not care about the health of the pets, its all about $$$$!!!

YOU HAVE NO IDEA THE STRESS AND HURT WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH!!!

Benfield has caused my family a lot of financial stress!!!

if they continue charging me I will sue!!!

When ever my dogs have needed this health plan I've been told to go to cheaper vets only to find out that ban filed misdiagnosed my dogs

View more comments (10)
Loss
I would like to add to the commentary about the Selma Banfield loacation: Dr Roque Gonzales was the vet originally assigned to my great Dane when we got her. He was rough with her (she was only 7 and a half weeks old when we got her, prolly 8 or 9 weeks by the time he...

Hi Alinosa - I'm glad that you have enjoyed being a customer at Banfield since 2001! I'm sorry that you have been unhappy with your encounters with Dr. Gonzales, but I'm glad that you have found the rest of our Selma hospital team to be kind, helpful and accommodating.

We are constantly looking for ways to improve our overall service, so if you would like to give us further information, could you please call our Client Advocate Team, toll-free, at 877-500-2288 or email cat(at)banfield(dot)com?

Thank you again!

Review
I went to the Banfield Hospital in San Bernardino because I had a coupon for a free office visit and consulation for my cat.I wanted her teeth looked at and a blood test to ck for thyroid problems.The vet talked to me for approx. 10 min. and told me her teeth were bad...
Banfield Pet Hospital

Hi Sellwood – We try to provide affordable care while doing a thorough job to take care of your cat. Please contact our Client Advocate Team at 877-500-2288 or email cat(at)banfield(dot)com to see if there is any way that we may be able to assist you. Most sincerely, Lisa Banfield Online Community Manager

Review
I have just tried to cancel my wellness program after my one year commitment was up. They lady I spoke with, 188-649-2716, ext 1815, Demanded for 15 minutes why I was canceling. It was like trying NOT to buy a timeshare. For this reason, I would not recommend the...

Banfield the so called "pet hospital" also abuses animals and treats them poorly. They don't give a rat about your animals they want to make the most money they can from you with unnecessary tests!

I have heard stories of them giving unnecessary shots as well, such as shots the animals already had and the animal suffers tremendously. These people need to go to ***. They put my cat through so much and all he needed was a WATER shot because he was dehydrated.

$400 for useless testing. I left without paying for the water shot which was $40 I think I gave them enough money.

Review
#352015 Review #352015 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Banfield Pet Hospital in Aurora, Colorado - Banfield treated my dog rough and mistreated him. They also tried to sell me tests and services.

The Banfield vet hospital in Aurora Colorado (Sable and Alalmeda) was rough and mistreated my dog. My dog has never snapped or even barked on previous visits. DR. devay was very rough and unprofessional with my dog. She told me my dog has glaucoma and could go blind in two days (scare tactic to charge for more testing). This is not the first time this has happened. My dog has a particle that made his eye irritated. They also did not honor the coupon book in which they sold me on a previous visit. I wll not return to this store or franchise again. Scott R. Kraft

These guys jack up the prices on meds about 3x as much as a pet clinic or your normal vet does. And on top of that they charge you an " handing " fee of $13 PER REFILL. The upselling is also ridiculous.

Banfield Pet Hospital

Hi Anonymous - Thank you for taking the time to give us honest feedback. I know that you and your dog didn't have a positive experience with us, but I am hoping that you see fit to reach out to our Client Advocate Team at 877-500-2288 cat(at)banfield(dot)com so we can help improve your experience. Thank you, and we look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Most sincerely,

View more comments (1)
Review
#351978 Review #351978 is a subjective opinion of poster.
I used to go to a local Banfield in Colorado and loved them. I just moved to San Diego and went to the Banfield #0140 at 3396 Murphy Canyon Road , San Diego, CA 92123 and had the worst experience. My Min Pin was recently stung by a bee. I took her to a local ER for...

Anonymous I agree same thing here in West Palm Beach Florida the dog had 8 teeth at time of cleaning the pulled 3. Cost more with the plan then if I was paying cash. I even asked the girl how much would this have cost if I did not have the plan and it was 30 dollars cheaper? The wellness plan is a complete ripoff.

Going to Bandfield for five years is all day affair, does not matter when you go typical wait in the lobby is 1.5 hours. I've walked out of two appointments and told the staff to reschedule me. Both Times there was no-body in the lobby and 3 of 4 exam rooms were empty.

The final straw came when I took the dog into Petsmart to get a haircut, they said they cannot do it because her rabies expired last month. Banfield is inside the petsmart store

They said talk to a manager he may give the OK. After waiting for an hour the manager shows up to the store. He said "its our policy the dog has to have rabbies shots".

I said so store policy overrides what Banfield Doctor said no more shots because your Dog almost died last time when we gave her shots? He said its not our problem, store policy is policy! I said OK..

Ok. Where is the logic? 14 year inside 12 pould poodle no contact with other dogs or cats and they want her to have a rabies shot within only 5 teeth. I decided that was the last straw. If you want to run customer away you have succeded.

Review
I tried to cancel my renewal with this company a month before the next renewal. They told me I couldn't do it until the renew date. I asked if they could just make a note on my account to not renew. I was told no. So I cancelled that card and got a new one since they...
Banfield Pet Hospital

Hi Anonymous – I’m sorry that the plan did not meet your expectations. I hear your frustration, and we would like the opportunity to further understand your concerns.

I know that you have already been in contact with a Banfield representative, but I am hoping that you see fit to contact our Wellness Plan Relations Team at 866-894-7927 or WellnessPlanRelations(at)banfield(dot)net if you would like further assistance.

We look forward to hearing from you at your convenience. Most sincerely, Lisa Banfield Online Community Manager

Loss
The wellness plan will not save you money. They find many ways to make you spend lots of money there. My kittens spay has been a nightmare!! They keep telling us it's our fault when we've done everything right. It's grossly infected and she's been in...

It must just have been the certain place you were going to. We bought the wellness plan for our puppy when we got her at 8 wks, she got spayed, no cost was nice, and when we thought there was a problem the 3 follow ups were free as well. We've had the plan for a year and a half now and have saved thousands of dollars from multiple visits to the them.