Filter by rating
City:
Product:

Banfield Pet Hospital in Chandler, Arizona - BANFIELD KILLED MY ROCCO

Update by user Apr 04, 2012

AFTER ROCCO DIED I WENT TO BANFIELD HOSPITAL AND COMPLAINED ABOUT THE CARE THEY HAD GIVEN HIM AND ALSO INSISTED THAT THEY TELL ME THE RESULTS OF HIS SKIN GRAPH THAT THEY HAD TAKEN THE FIRST TIME ROCCO WAS SEEN,FEB. 18th BY THEM. MIND YOU IT TAKES USUALLY AT LEAST THREE TO FOUR WEEKS FOR A SKIN GRAPH RESULTS TO COME BACK I WAS TOLD WHEN THEY TOOK IT. THEY INFORMED ME THAT IN ONLY FIVE DAYS THE GRAPH HAD COME BACK POSITIVE TO RINGWORM AND THAT IS WHY THEY HAD PERSCRIBED THE RINGWORM TREATMENT.

MONDAY, APRIL 2nd I RECIEVED A CALL FROM THE EMERGENCY CLINIC WHO LAST TREATED ROCCO. (DERMITOLOGY SPECIALIST) THEY WANTED TO JUST LET ME KNOW THAT THE SKIN GRAPH THEY TOOK FROM ROCCO ON MARCH 1st HAD COME BACK NEGATIVE FOR RINGWORM. THIS TEST TOOK THE FOUR WEEKS TO PROCESS A RESULT, THE TIME ALLOTTED FOR AN ACCURATE READING.

NOW I KNOW THAT BANFIELD LIED TO COVER THEIR OWN MISTAKE AND I AM STILL LEFT FEELING LIKE I KILLED MY DOG BY DOING WHAT THE DOCTOR PRESCRIBED. I\'M HAVING A VERY HARD TIME EXCEPTING ALL OF THIS AND ROCCO\'S BROTHER IS FEELING LOST TOO.

Original review posted by user Mar 04, 2012

On February 17th 2012 I was sitting in my chair petting Rocco my 6 year old chihuahua. I noticed a four little raised areas on the side of his neck and got concerned. On February 18th I took him to BANFIELD MEDICAL FACILITY to have him looked at. Banfield took a blood sample for testing, skin graph and told me Rocco had some kind of allergy to something he ate or something outside. They perscribed an atibiotic, a medicated shampoo and sent us home. February 19th I called BANFIELD back because now there was a rash area on Rocco's stomach. Rocco was itching at it. Banfield told me that was to be expected and to continue with the antibiotic and shampoo. February 22nd I took Rocco back to BANFIELD because he was a mess. Hair was falling out all over his body, he was itching all the time, shaking, and had open sores on his ears, mouth and parts of his body. BANFIELD now said Rocco had ring worm and perscribed pills, continue the antibiotic, shampoos, and perscribed a accidic spray to aplly daily to his skin. February 27th I took Rocco to Awautukee Hospital. He was bleeding for the ears, nose and eyes. Awautukee Animal Hospital kept him a day and then he went to Arizona Emergency Internal Medicine Facility where after much fight to save his life, he passed away on March 2nd. This was a healthy pet with a few little bumps that BANFIELD ANIMAL HOSPITAL SLOWLY KILLED, by perscrbing an antibiotic that Rocco was allergic to.
catlover981

This was not your fault and you should not feel a bit of guilt. All you did was love and care for your beloved rocco.

I know how hard it must be as I brought my cat to Banfield and then experience great regret and guilt...but the fact is that you did not do this...banfield did this!!! My cat could have died and I know the agony, deep regret, and even depression of thinking that I had caused this but you and I didn't!! naturally we assume that we are going to competent vet doctors which makes them "experts" and so it was out of your love that you took rocco to a pet hospital and trusted they were experts ...Please give yourself the break of knowing that you did nothing wrong!!! you just didn't know and assumed like many of us that you would receive competent care from a pet hospital...I didn't think to read reviews and when things happen to our pets we just want to make them better and don't even think of reviews as most pet hospitals are fine....again, I know how your feeling however since I did not loose my cat I can't know the depth of what you are feeling but believe me I know the deep regret and how tramatic it is...but remember you did nothing wrong!!!!

you assumed the best which is a natural and good thing...had we known we would never have brought our animals here but you we did not k now....may you find total acceptance for your self in this tragedy as you deserve it!!! peace to you dear one!

Banfield Pet Hospital

First of all we want to say how sorry we are for the loss of Rocco. We apologize that your visit to one of our hospitals has left you feeling this way.

We appreciate your feedback and would like the opportunity to speak with you directly so we can gather more information. Please call our Client Advocate Team at 877-500-2288, thank you.

weloveparrots
#920755
@Banfield Pet Hospital

All they care about is money!

View more comments (2)

Banfield Pet Hospital in New York, New York - Misdiagnosed and hosed

On 3 separate visits they could not diagnose why my English Bulldog was Vomiting green bile. After, an xray, blood test, 2 all day visits and I kept getting no resolution, i began to research the issue my self. The vet was saying that she can run the tests (which she already ran and came back negative) again and would have to charge me again for the tests they already ran. After doing my own research found out Bulldogs are prone to acid re flux and this is commonly misdiagnosed. One would think a vet or in my case one of the 2 that I took my dog to see at Banfield might know about this. Apparently, the information they receive is very limited and I am not entirely sure they work a time clock. So, after $460 and a year subscription to the optimum wellness plan on top of it, I am on the most expensive bottle of Pepto Bismal in history. Yes, that's right one little tbsp of pink stuff cured my dog right up. It has been almost 24 hours without vomit and after a week of not eating and drinking she is doing that also. 2 most important things I have ever said stay away from these people
Banfield Pet Hospital

Thank you for providing this feedback. It is our mission to provide our clients and their pets with high quality medicine and exceptional client experiences on every visit.

We apologize that your visit to one of our hospitals did not meet your expectations. If you would like to address any specific concerns, and help us improve our overall service, please call our Client Advocate Team at 877-500-2288 so we can discuss what happened.

Review
#301946 Review #301946 is a subjective opinion of poster.
my dog has severe separation anxiety, she also will not allow me to even bathe or use toilet facilities without throwing a severe tantrum complete with leaping as high as the doorjamb. banfield refused to even try to evaluate her and informed me that this is not...

Hey TCBH, check YOUR attitude (and reading skills while you are at). I was clearly taking the side of the OP in agreeing with her that a behavioral consult should be included in the services of the wellness plan.

Loss

Banfield Pet Hospital in New York, New York - Gave expired medication to my sick dog

I went in for my dog's yearly vaccinations, found out she had an infected paw, found out she has lyme disease as well, was given antibiotics, noticed that night that the bottle had expired 2 years ago. Went back the next day to give it back to them and get a new one, was told,by the vet,that it wouldn't of mattered, it would of worked the same. It wouldn't of worked the same, the potentcy would of been off and thats no help to a sick animal...not going there ever again. Got new meds
MammaJ

I know the expired meds would of worked and wouldn't of hurt my girl, but the potency would not of been the same as an unexpired bottle. Plus, If I am going to pay 40 bucks for meds for my girl...they better be UN-expired, let alone expired 2 years ago.

I don't know who is responsible, but the Dr.

is the one who handed it to me, he should be checking. I have allready found a new vet.

Sarah,

There's been plenty of research on this.

Most of what is known about drug expiration dates comes from a study conducted by the Food and Drug Administration at the request of the military. With a large and expensive stockpile of drugs, the military faced tossing out and replacing its drugs every few years. What they found from the study is 90% of more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, were perfectly good to use even 15 years after the expiration date.

Having said that, the client should not have been given expired meds, or I should say instead that she shouldn't have been CHARGED for them.

(so essentially the Doc was right about them being OK, but dead wrong about not asking her if she wanted free expired, or full price non expired.)

Having said THAT, clearly someone handed out expired meds without knowing they were expired, and that is a slip shod way of running a practice for sure.

*But expired meds still work, which explains what you pointed out.....shelters, rescue groups, etc use them all the time.

*pet* hospital

good for you! Im glad you want to get involved and find out which employee allowed a customer and a patient (the pet) take a two year old expired medication.

in most cases, its usually one or two employees that give a customer a bad experience and not the entire company business.

I hope you all settle this and have a happy ending.

please post the resolution here. Id love to read about it being the animal love that I am.

I personally wouldn't care if it was effective as current RX or not...we are paying for the best treatment of our animals, our family. How dare a vet even allow that to be given to the animal, let alone argue the point when the pets owner comes back with the expired medication. That is bad business and horrible care.

MammaJ, after reading your feedback, we would like to speak with you directly to get more information. We strive to provide our clients and their pets with high quality medicine and exceptional client experiences on every visit.

We apologize that your visit to our hospital was unsatisfactory. To address your specific concerns, and to help us improve our overall service, we would appreciate it if you would call our Client Advocate Team at 877-500-2288 to tell us what happened.

I would really like to do/see some research done on expired medications. Some places are really strict and will get in a lot of trouble if there are expired medications present in the hospital.

But other places, mostly shelters, pretty much only use expired medications because that is what they have available to them and their funding can provide enough to be constantly replacing meds. By seeing this, I would say that expired medications are still effective in some way (obviously depending on how long its been expired) but I have medication that i use on myself thats expired and it is still effective

View more comments (6)
Review
Back in 2007, I paid for their Well Care plan for my dog, Lewis, mainly because I wanted to cover his surgery to have him neutered. The cost of the surgery wasn't COMPLETELY covered, as they TOLD me when I signed up...I actually was going to have to pay approx. $90...

BANFIELD IS AWFUL ...I 17 YEAR OLD CAT IS STILL SICK

I CANCELLED MY CONTRACT AND CALLED BBB THEY

IN TURN TALKED TO THE DIRECTOR OF COLORADO

AND HE SAID I WOULD GET A FULL REFFUND......WELLL

3 WEEKS I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THIS AND 2 WEEKS

NO REFUND....PLEASE LETS START A CLASS ACTION

LAW SUIT CALL ME I WILL GET THE LAWYER MY CAT MAY

DIE BECAUSE OF ALL OF THIS...I NEED THE MONEY TO GET HIM THE RIGHT KIND OF CARE...CALL ME I DO MEAN THIS THE DIRECTOR WILL NOT EVEN CALL ME BACK ....THESE PEOPLE ARE AWFLUL I REALLY BELIVE THAY HATE THEIR JOBS....720-333-7411 I MEAN IT I WANT THEM OUT OF BUSNESS.

Banfield Pet Hospital in Tampa, Florida - Over-vaccination death

In 2006, my 4-year-old Italian Greyhound died after being over-vaccinated at Banfield. They have since changed their vaccination recommendations so they at least are trying now. I still didn't like that I couldn't be with my pets when they took blood or did other procedures (where I could be with them with other vets) so I cancelled my protection plan for my new pets. Banfield might be a decent vet for someone who can't afford anything better. They are more expensive than the "traveling vets" but less than a really good one. You usually get what you pay for. How much are your babies worth?

Anonymous, we are sorry for your loss of a beloved pet. We strive to provide our clients and their pets with high quality medicine and exceptional client experiences on every visit. We appreciate your feedback and encourage you to contact our Client Advocate Team with any concerns, their number 877-500-2288.

Review
I had adopted a healthy kitten more than a year ago. He quickly became sick and died suddenly without warning, a day before he was scheduled to go to the Vet. Several months later I adopt a lethargic, stray kitten and immediately took him to a Banfield, terrified...

These people are implanting animals with plastic microchips from Datamars. If the first three digits of the transponder code is 981 for Datamars and if you got it 2014 or later it is probably plastic.

Monitor your pet for inflammatory diseases.Pet owners can file an adverse event report with the Veterinary FDA, without their veterinarians’ permission. Details on how to, here:https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/ReportaProblem/ucm055305.htmIf you do not want to download their extension, here is the form:https://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/ReportsManualsForms/Forms/AnimalDrugForms

Loss
You can compare Banfield to a manufacturing plant/factory. Pets come in and out like clockwork. There will never be a personal connection with your pet and a loving vet. The vet turnover is high as well, so that relationship you crave for between your pet and a...
shygeekgrrrl

Hi Banfield,

I've unfortunately already had the displeasure of calling that number 3 times with the same end result - unprofessionalism and lack of accountability. I have yet to be directed to a manager because they don't exist according to all the reps spoken with. Each call lasting about 1 hour each and each one explaining the WHOLE situation from the very beginning over and over. The last call was the last straw because we were literally laughed at by the rep. They all say they don't report to anyone and that we cannot speak to any kind of management, they all report to an automated system.

We even spoke with our local vet's office. They just directed us to the corporate number multiple times as well.

Unless I am given information on how to reach an actual manager and not lied to about that, I don't think there's anyone at the number provided that I would like to discuss the whole situation with once again.

I feel mistreated, insulted, and not valued as a customer... worse than I have with any other company. And being in the medical field, Banfield should have better bedside manner.

Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Columbus, Ohio - Banfield pet hostpital reminder to have deceased cat examined?

It is Febuary 15 2012, I just received a reminder of exam for my cat Smokey who was killed by poisoning in October 2011? My wife called and notified the local Hosptial of his death and was told to notify CORPORATE? (yes I was yelling) of which we spent almost an hour to talk to a human again to be informed that since Smokey had his 1st exam we had to continue full payment? Really, I just wanted to let them know how upset we are to receive thier reminder. My only regret is! I wish I had an hour to waste on the phone after 11 am EST to personally tell them this. Thanks for the memory......NOT

Sorry retiree, I dont work with banfield but i can tell you when about things that we forget in our day to day life even we do them routinely. There are so many pets per day and staff will be running around and doctors are busy with pets treating them and doing whatever is needed and one of the staff member might have forgot to put a note on patient file.

we forget everything daily and thats a great gift from god.

you are worried about money not your pet. honestly question about your own doctor if he/she calls you tells you that if urine exam is not done today somethign is going to happen, what will u do?---- u will start running dropping your pants from your office to that hospital because you are scared that you are going to die but if it comes to pets people show their original character

Retiree, we apologies for any long wait when it comes to our customer phone lines. We understand how frustrating this can be so please feel free to use our Team's email addresses with your requests or concerns. For our Client Advocate Team you can email them at internet.inquiries@banfield.net or our Wellness Plan Team at WellnessPlanRelations@banfield.net

View more comments (1)
Review

Banfield Pet Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland - Still Paying "Wellness" for DEAD CAT!

I went to take our new kitten in today for her shots. I was asked If I wanted to enroll her in the Wellness plan. Come to find out that my deceased cat's wellness plan does not transfer over to the new cat. Even worse, I have to continue to pay the "wellness plan" until September for the dead cat. I got the plan a month before the cat died. I asked and was granted the number for their administration. I called and spoke to Chrystal. Chrystal stated that because the "retail" value of the service performed on the cat before it died was greater than the plan's fee I would still have to pay FOR THE DEAD CAT. By the way, the cat died at banfield so they know it is truly dead. Chrystal said that she would take 83.85 worth of fees off and waive the 54.00 enrollment fee for the new cat. She also stated that this plan is not insurance and needs to be looked at more like a gas card (an analogy which was very fuzzy). BUT I AM STILL PAYING A "WELLNESS" PLAN FOR A DEAD CAT. Chrystal stated that if she did not make people pay even after the pet died she would not be able to stay in business. I can't say that Chrystal was disrespectful but the idea of the plan should not be what the "retail" value of the services are, that assumes the customer would have gone with Banfield over another market choice. Crystal did acknowledge that Banfield assumes you would pay for the services anyway. She also told me that this was in the fine print of the original contract is signed somewhere. In closing I AM PAYING "WELLNESS" FOR A DEAD PET. Has anyone ever heard of anything so absurd?

First of all we want to say how sorry we are for the loss of your cat. We apologize for any confusion; to clarify our Wellness Plans are preventive services packaged together at a discounted price with the convenience of a 12-month financing option.

When a pet passes or a client wants to cancel their plan throughout the year of the package we simply ask they either pay for the services already used at full retail cost or the remaining payments, whichever is less.In other words, customers who do cancel are not asked to pay for services that they haven't already used. If you have any other questions please contact our Wellness Plan Team at 866-649-2716 or emailing WellnessPlanRelations@banfield.net.

pay up--she is right telling you all that is in the contract you signed--you signed a year contract (with auto renewal- so you better watch for that) and it does state no matter if you get rid of the animal or the animal passes away--your sill under contract for payment for a year--read your contracts before you sign it--you learned a good lesson

View more comments (1)