Miami, Florida

My mistake left my dogs antibotics 3 hours away that Banfield Pet hospital doctor perscribed Was told to go to near by one to get a few pills until mine came by mail from the home I left them at. Was refused the medication Called Customer complaint dept and was told it was illegal for the local doctor to give me a couple of antibiotics until the original ones came by mail.

I had all the paperwork and they have all my dogs info in the computer?

My doctor can subcribe me meds and I can get them anywhere but my dogs banfield doctor can not perscribe the couple pills to be given to me at another banfield location? If they say she needs it and then they refuse to let me purchase the meds without a new doctor giving her a full physical Banfield is putting my dogs health at Risk!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Vaccination.

Comments

Banfield Pet Hospital

Raye,

If your experience took place at one of our hospitals, can you please call 877-500-2288 to tell us what happened?

My heart goes out to all of you guys. I thought maybe it was me but I had a similar situation happen too.

My dog has seizures and he was given the wrong dosage of medz b/c they had the incorrect weight & I ended up taking him to the E.R.

the same day & he almost died. :(

Agreed. Whether or not it's the same corporation, it is illegal for a veterinary clinic to prescribe medication without a patient/doctor relationship. It's just like if you were going to a new doctor - he couldn't refill your prescriptions, even if he had the paperwork. This isn't just a Banfield thing; it's law.

Veterinarian/Client/Patient Relationship:

A VCPR exists when all of the following conditions have been met:

The veterinarian has assumed the responsibility for making clinical judgments regarding the health of the animal(s) and the need for medical treatment, and the client has agreed to follow the veterinarian's instructions.

The veterinarian has sufficient knowledge of the animal(s) to initiate at least a general or preliminary diagnosis of the medical condition of the animal(s). This means that the veterinarian has recently seen and is personally acquainted with the keeping and care of the animal(s) by virtue of an examination of the animal(s) or by medically appropriate and timely visits to the premises where the animal(s) are kept.

The veterinarian is readily available for follow-up evaluation, or has arranged for emergency coverage, in the event of adverse reactions or failure of the treatment regimen.

In otherwords - New doctor, new relationship.

They were actually telling you the truth. They cannot act like a pharmacy. You could have had the old vet call in a prescription into a human pharmacy, though.

:cry I cry for my dead pet everyday, because I trusted Banfield to take care of hern Now she is dead because of a Dental procedure gone bad! I will never recover from my loss and how Bella suffered! :cry