Las Vegas, Nevada

Banfield Pet “Hospital” Negligence Caused Zeus’ Death

On April 13, 2018 my husband walked our larger than life, gentle, lovable 3 ½ year old English Bulldog Zeus into the West Valley City, Utah Banfield “Pet Hospital” for a simple teeth cleaning/vaccination. Who would have thought that it would be the last time he walked with my husband? The last time I hugged him during my morning routine, or the last time he would interact with his companion Zoey? The last time for anything…

A little history about Zeus. Most of, if not all-of the staff at Banfield in West Valley City, Utah knew and loved him, from a puppy until his death. He had been in that “Hospital” for most of his basic care. We found a Bulldog specific vet that seemed to understand

the breed, however he was on a Wellness Plan, so we continued the Wellness Plan with Banfield for basic care due to fines/fees to discontinue and utilized the Bulldog vet for more specific issues. No expense was spared for our son, as he was just that.

No matter what our mood or emotional state, he always gave us a happy feeling. He was also being trained as a service animal and had been to hospitals where he brought love and smiles to children as well as adults.

Upon leaving Zeus at Banfield he seemed a little stressed so we asked them to check his breathing. The staff assured us the vet would. An hour later the vet leaves a voice message and said she is not doing teeth cleaning due to stressed breathing. She tells us we can pick him up in about 2 hours then calls an hour later and says get here quickly. When my husband arrived, a vet tech was doing CPR on Zeus, and the vet was pacing the floor. A second tech was injecting fluids. My husband could see the vet tech was tiring and no one was switching off with her. He ended up switching off with the vet tech administering CPR all while the vet paced the floor and said nothing (my husband mimicked what the vet tech was doing as he is not trained in animal CPR although he is trained in human CPR). When my husband arrived, Zeus was NOT intubated. There was NO CPAP machine ANYWHERE in the area. Zeus was never intubated which is a MUST for Bulldog breathing problems. The investigating Banfield quality rep said the vet put Zeus “in a kennel next to her while she worked on another dog” and our dog aspirated and dropped in that kennel. She could hear him and see him, and she did nothing to assist him as his breathing spiraled out of control! Also, the Banfield quality rep told us that “Zeus was probably already dead before my husband arrived and they just went through the motions so that we would know they tried to save him". Regardless of their thought process, not only was this a waste of time and completely unethical but there was false hope that something could come out of it and this too is negligence! Quite frankly, under the moniker of “hospital” all involved would be terminated for such acts, but in this case as the vet and the vet tech are still employed at the West Valley Utah facility.

In speaking with the Banfield quality rep, he claimed our Bulldog was intubated because the "vet tech and vet said" they intubated him. My husband argued this point since he was there and assisted in CPR. There was no CPAP machine anywhere in that room. Mind you, the vet stated in her report that they were doing mouth to mouth resuscitation...with a CPAP? Really? They were not doing mouth to mouth when my husband was there either. Her report never mentioned that my husband did CPR on Zeus and there are many discrepancies in her report that we never received answers for. In her report, she stated that he was also obese. Zeus was not obese. Our Bulldog vet had told us several times that Zeus did not need to lose weight as he was big in stature and his head was huge. The Banfield quality rep said he wanted to talk to our Bulldog vet when I told him this. We gave him the number to call as well as an email. During my second call with him, he stated he called him and never heard back from him. Our Bulldog vet said he tried calling the Banfield quality rep back, and even emailed him and received no response. Tell me, who has a reason to be dishonest here?

To understand what transpired, Banfield offered to do an x-ray. We got a copy of the x-ray (2 were taken) and took them to our Bulldog specialist. He tried to read the x-rays, the x-rays were so blurry the only thing he could confirm was that Zeus’ trachea was normal. The vet herself could not read them, nor could the quality rep who also is a veterinarian.

The vet who practices at the West Valley, Utah facility stated the following in her report: “Possible fluid line ventrally. Difficult to assess radiographs due to patient size. Normal cardiac silhouette. Normal appearing trachea”. A full vet hospital should have the capability to perform x-rays on any size animal. She also mentions that there was fluid on his lungs. This happens normally when CPR is performed on anyone. The Banfield quality rep, when questioned about the legibility of the x-rays said "the machine may have not been working properly that day".

Banfield pushes quantity for $ not quality care. The vet didn't know what she was doing with a specialized breed. Banfield's negligence and incompetency CAUSED our Zeus’ death.

Had Zeus received quality care on April 13, 2018, he would not have been put in a kennel so the vet could work on another animal (quantity). Had Zeus received quality care the vet would not have panicked. She would have known what to do and would have assisted trying to relax him and in intubating him rather than letting him drop next to her due to lack of oxygen. Banfield should hire competent Veterinarians who know how to care for ALL animals, including specialized breeds. Banfield should have x-ray machines that are capable of x-raying larger animals (moving and non-moving) which the vet stated was the case of the blurry x-rays on her report. As a “hospital”, shouldn’t they have back up x-ray machines if this is the case? Banfield should not call themselves a "HOSPITAL" for ALL of these reasons! They need to be held liable. They are a big corporate entity who thinks they can get away with these kinds of acts by throwing blood money at victim’s families and covering the cost of cremations. I have read other horror stories about Banfield. Ours is not the first and I’m sure it will not be the last. This is not the first case of death, misdiagnosis, or permanent damage at the hands of Banfield.

If you love your animal. Take them to a vet that specialized in the breed of your animal. I would hate for anyone else to have to go through the heartache we have.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Veterinarian.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

This is one of the most disgusting examples of untrained employees directly causing death and lying to cover up the truth.

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews