Banfield Pet Hospital - Banfield gives unneccessary vaccinations which are at odds with the feline vaccine protocols

232 of 1393 Banfield Pet Hospital reviews

Banfield gives unneccessary vaccinations which are at odds with the feline vaccine protocols.

I had an indoor cat that they every year gave the FeLV vaccine to. Per established protocol only kittens or high risk (outdoor) cats should receive this annual vaccine as it is known to cause Sarcomas at the injection site (VAS). Needless to say at the age of 8 (we adopted her from shelter when she was 3), our cat got a sarcoma at the injection site, and even with surgery/biopsy was dead 6 months later (cancer metastified to lungs).

Another vet I took her to for examination right off the bat asked if cat was getting FeLV when he saw/felt the lump...I showed him the long list of Vaccines the cat received every year from Banefield, he said she should only should been getting an annual Distemper, and 3-yr rabies.

Its all about the money with Banfied. Steer clear of Banfield if you truly care about your pets, and want them to love long quality lives.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Vaccination
Review category
Pet Medicine and Veterinary Clinics
review #583504 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Banfield Pet Hospital? Submit review ›
Helpful? 7 Yes 7 13 No 13
Had the same issue 4 Yes 4
232 of 1393 Banfield Pet Hospital reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
Ralph

Feb 17, 2015 #947287

ANONYMOUS seems to defend Banfield on every complaint. How about giving your name and phone number if like Banfield so much. I would like to talk to you and tell you what I think of Banfield (NOT MUCH). Banfield only cares about your money, they could care less about your pet.

3 8 Reply
mi

Jan 23, 2015 #935371

I have had many cats in my life and I never had them get this shot.I know this is a bad cat disease.If the shot can kill them though i would rather take my chances.I had an indoor outdoor cat who lived to be 26.At age 16 I stopped all her shots.She did not hunt anymore then. Nowdays you can not trust anyone you have to reserch what would be right for your cat.I got online and read anything I could about the older cat.So when a vet would try to sell things i did not need for my cat i was educated about it.I would just say no.I am sorry you lost your cat,my heart breaks I know how it feels.When the pain is not so bad give another cat a try in your cats memory.

8 8 Reply

Jan 19, 2015 #933315

As a veterinarian for Banfield, I tailor my vaccines to the individual cat's lifestyle and adhere to the recommendations put forth by the American Association of Feline Practitioners. As a practice, our vaccine protocols follow the same guidelines. I encourage owners to educate themselves on what their cat is at risk for. Unfortunately I have seen these tumors over the years, even in cats that have no history of receiving a FELV vaccine. I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is never easy.

13 2 Reply
JACKID

Jan 19, 2015 #933301 Elk Grove Village, Illinois, United States

I WONDER IF THATS WHAT KILLED MY CAT? WE ONLY HAD HIM A YEAR AND THEY KEPT INSISTING ON THIS SHOT. THE CAT WAS UP PLAYING WITH ME FINE ONE NIGHT AND THE NEXT MORNIGN JUST DROPPED OVER. HE WAS JUST OVER A YEAR OLD. I RESCUED HIM WHEN HE WAS 10 WEEKS OLD.

3 11 Reply
weloveparrots

Feb 13, 2015 #945499 Camden, New Jersey, United States

Yep, Banfield probably KILLED your cat, because as sad as it is, that's what they do, KILL pets! So sorry about your kitty. Banfield killed my Pomeranian, Missy. So I know how it feels.

4 8 Reply

Feb 16, 2015 #946579

i take all three of my animals( 2 dogs and a cat) and i have never had problems with Banfield. as a matter of fact i was close to euthanizing my 14y/o cat because of chronic vomiting and she was starting to loose so much weight. after a few visit to banfield and trying a few lower cost option we finally decided to try a more aggressive route to see what was wrong and now a year later my cat has gain all her weight back and is healthier than ever. so no i don't think banfield intentionally did anything to harm your cat
now there is a chance that you cat reacted bad to the vaccine and that is what happened so it would be the vaccine the banfield

5 2 Reply
davis.linda13

Feb 19, 2015 #947860

I find that hard to believe. Those quacks most likely recommended Science Diet dry food, which, by the way is harmful to cats. Cats should be on the raw diet or a high quality wet food. Banfield jas proven over and over to vaccinate unnecessarily, and use products that are harmful to pets. Why not just admit you work there?

2 6
catsinjax

Aug 27 #1204387 Jacksonville, Florida, United States

To Davis.linda.13, I know the argument for raw diet. However Hills Science Diet is high quality pet food. We have a Ragdoll cat that was skinny. Nothing we tried put weight on her. Then we tried Hills Science Diet Kitten formula dry food. She is now a healthy weight & doing marvelous. It also did wonders for our two senior cats. I trust Hills Science Diet 100℅. Also I would highly recommend NutroMax can food for any male kitty that had crystals in their bladder. My oldest cat was having this problem almost every month. I spent thousands in vet bills & very expensive prescription only cat food, which my cat hated. We tried the NutroMax Lamb & Turkey can food & he is doing great. Over 2 years now with no crystals in his bladder. Hope this helps people with the same issues. Oh, btw, NutroMax is cheaper on Amazon.com

1 0
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.