Newark, New Jersey
1.7K views

I hate this place. $80 to express his anal glands. $50 for a teenager to stick a thermometer in his butt. Then another $30 for some person in the "Back Room" to express his glands. Then, when I complained, they tried to sell me a Wellness Plan. When I asked them if this outrageously priced procdure would be covered in the future, the said NO!

Why try to sell nme something that I don't need as a response to a complaint?

I'll never go back. They try to put a guilt trip on you for caring for your pet and your money. It's like complaining to the Pope. They just looked at me as if I were some Amish puppy mill manager on a tight budget.

I'll never go back - ever.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Wellness Plan.

Comments

To vet tech: Prices differ by geographic region. Exams are $45.95 in my region

Vet tech: the prices differ by region. Exams in some parts are close to $50. Our area is $45.95

I can tell you right now 80 dollars for anal gland expression for 1 dog is not correct we charge 20 dollars for 1 dog. 80 dollars maybe because there could have been a ruptured anal gland and the doctor would have to sedate and go in manually but 80 dollars to just express is not right.

and you say 50 dollars for a teenager to stick a thermometer in his butt no the office visits are 40.95 and include alot more than a VET ASSISTANT OR TECHNICIAN sticking a thermometer in your dogs rear that includes a full physical exam with the DOCTOR. The wellness plans do not cover anal gland expression it is a Preventive care package that includes vaccines, heartworm tests, fecals and other procedures. But you do get a discount off of anal gland expressions depending on which plan you choose.

You have the choice to decline the wellness plan but we do offer it as a service to our clients if they want it. Make sure to get your facts straight before going off with nonsence about my company I work for.

I'm not sure why people don't seem to understand the purpose of an office visit.

When you see a lawyer, you pay an hourly fee for their expertise. When you see a therapist, you pay a fee for an hour of their time. When you see a regular doctor, you pay an office visit fee--for their time and expertise.

All of these professionals--including veterinarians--spend a lot of time and money accumulating the knowledge they need to be licensed in their profession. Their time is valuable. If you want your dog's anal glands expressed, you can learn how to do it at home, or go to a groomer (some groomers will do this procedure). There are other options. Most Banfields would be able to quote this price to you over the phone as well, so if price is your concern, you may want to call a few places for price comparison before claiming Banfield is a rip-off.

If you felt ripped off, think of how the doctor must feel. Instead of spending his/her time helping a legitimately sick pet, s/he has to stick his/her hand up your dog's butt and have the entire hospital smell disgusting. Then the staff gets to deal with you complaining about it.

Banfield Pet Hospital

We apologize that your visit to one of our hospitals has left you feeling this way, we strive to provide our clients and their pets with high quality medicine and exceptional client experiences on every visit. Our hospital suggested our Wellness Plan because our plans do include discounts on procedures that aren't covered on the plan. We appreciate your feedback and would like the opportunity to address your specific concerns, please call our Client Advocate Team at 877-500-2288 or internet.inquiries@banfield.net, thank you.

Anal gland extraction is a common procedure for dogs and the average cost is 20 to 30 bucks even without the plan your vet can teach you how to do it at home

be honest - it was $80 for an exam and anal gland expression. Banfield is kind of weird when it comes to that.

If you aren't on their wellness plan, you have to have an exam before getting anal glands expressed (at least at my hospital). It's all a part of their money making scheme to sell wellness plans!

Also, I'm not sure if you were annoyed by the fact that they expressed anal glands in the back room (treatment area) - but if you were, TRUST ME you don't want them expressed in that tiny exam room with you. Smells like a very strong combination of fish and trash.