Tampa, Florida

Back in 2007, I paid for their Well Care plan for my dog, Lewis, mainly because I wanted to cover his surgery to have him neutered. The cost of the surgery wasn't COMPLETELY covered, as they TOLD me when I signed up...I actually was going to have to pay approx. $90 extra (in addition to the monthly fee I was already paying) to cover anesthesia & medication. I had to reschedule the appointment because I did not have an extra $90 at the time. They told me it was NO PROBLEM AT ALL. I rescheduled the appointment for a couple months out. Again, I was told NO PROBLEM. The day I dropped him off for his surgery, I made a point to write down on their forms that they were NOT to do ANYTHING to him that would exceed the $90 they had quoted me, and they were to CALL me if something came up that would cost more and get my authorization to do it. I have this in WRITING.

A few hours later, I get a phone call at work saying they can't do the surgery because he's too old now...the Well Care plan only covered the surgery if it was done before he turned a certain age (I think it was either 6 or 12 months, but I can't recall exactly now). When I asked them WHY they insisted it would be NO PROBLEM when I asked about it previously and why it was not mentioned when I MADE the appointment OR dropped him off, they said they didn't know why the person who booked the appointment neglected to tell me, but that's how it was...if I wanted it done, they would still do it but it would cost us SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS since it was no longer covered by our plan. I told them NO, they were NOT to do ANYTHING AT ALL to the dog, and I would be over to pick him up after work, and that I was CANCELLING my Well Care plan.

When I picked him up, they told me they had gone ahead and given him a full checkup, including running a bunch of tests on him (none of which were asked for and all of which were negative and unnecessary) and full course of vaccinations while he was there...and since I now cancelled my plan, they said I would have to pay them $396 for it. I told them *** NO, because we BOTH had it in writing where I specified that they were NOT authorized to do ANYTHING to the dog that would cost MORE than $90, and I also referenced the phone call in which I told them they were not permitted to do ANYTHING to the dog at all. They insisted that I owed them money, and I refused. Then Dr. Montor came out and pretty much insinuated that I didn't care about my pet if I cancelled my plan and that it meant I was willing to let him go without his routine checkups and shots (um, no...it meant I no longer wanted YOU to do them! There are HUNDREDS of other vets out there, ***!). She was VERY condescending and rude in her tone, and absolutely unwilling to accept any responsibility whatsoever, despite the fact that (as I said), I had it IN WRITING that she was in the wrong.

They sent me a bill anyway. I reported them to the Better Business Bureau, and I wrote them back specifying everything I just said and explaining why I would not be paying the bill. In addition to this, I ended up having to take Lewis to a low-cost neuter clinic for his surgery, and while he was there he picked up a nasty skin fungus which ended up costing us a LOT of money to treat, so in my opinion, they owed US. I got another bill and disputed it AGAIN. I never heard back.

Now I find out that they sat on it quietly for a while, and then finally just went ahead and sent it to collections so it shows up on my credit report.

SO, *** BANFIELD. I HOPE YOU GO BANKRUPT AND DR. MONTOR CAN'T FIND ANOTHER JOB. I have NEVER in my life experienced such a horrific LACK of customer service, and I have NEVER in my life been talked down to as rudely as that doctor at Banfield (South Tampa, Dale Mabry - the one beneath the Target, next to the natural food store and the liquor store) did. EVER.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Wellness Plan.

Comments

BANFIELD IS AWFUL ...I 17 YEAR OLD CAT IS STILL SICK

I CANCELLED MY CONTRACT AND CALLED BBB THEY

IN TURN TALKED TO THE DIRECTOR OF COLORADO

AND HE SAID I WOULD GET A FULL REFFUND......WELLL

3 WEEKS I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THIS AND 2 WEEKS

NO REFUND....PLEASE LETS START A CLASS ACTION

LAW SUIT CALL ME I WILL GET THE LAWYER MY CAT MAY

DIE BECAUSE OF ALL OF THIS...I NEED THE MONEY TO GET HIM THE RIGHT KIND OF CARE...CALL ME I DO MEAN THIS THE DIRECTOR WILL NOT EVEN CALL ME BACK ....THESE PEOPLE ARE AWFLUL I REALLY BELIVE THAY HATE THEIR JOBS....720-333-7411 I MEAN IT I WANT THEM OUT OF BUSNESS.

Banfield - I have spoken with your "Client Advocate Team" on more than one occasion already, and look where it got me. I'll try again, at your recommendation...and I will be sure to report my results (or lack thereof, whichever the case may be) accordingly.

I never said it took me months to gather $90. I merely said I scheduled the appointment for a couple of months out.

The REASON for that was because I had other commitments that were taking up time and I didn't have another free moment to schedule it again for a couple months. Whether or not I could afford the dog is a moot point anyway, as my husband and I decided to re-home him a year ago due to the fact that he and I were both putting in 16 hour work days and didn't have the time to give him the attention he deserved.

Besides, the main point here was that they charged me $396 for services that I SPECIFIED IN WRITING that I did NOT want done to my dog.

I think you'd be fairly hard-pressed to find anyone, regardless of their financial situation, who is OK with handing out $396 for something they didn't order. But thanks for your feedback anyway.

Thank you for your feedback, we would like the opportunity to speak with you directly so we can gather more information and help address your concerns. We strive to provide our clients and their pets with high quality medicine and exceptional client experiences on every visit or call. Please call our Client Advocate Team at 877-500-2288.

@Banfield Pet Hospital

I called this number after this person posted it and they apologized profusely and assured me that it would be removed from collections immediately. They advised me that it may take 6 months for it to disappear from my records.

It has now been WELL OVER A YEAR, and it is STILL THERE.

More lies!!!!!!!!!!! :(

While I agree that they should have looked more closely into your wellness plan before telling you that you could reschedule, unfortunately that policy was listed on your contract that you signed. ALWAYS REFER TO YOUR CONTRACT, DON'T ASK PEOPLE IN THE OFFICE!!

Yes, they SHOULD know better, but often they don't!

Also, if it took you months to get $90, you probably aren't in a financial situation where you can afford to have a puppy. Always think about ALL the possible financial complications before adopting a pet.

@aa

Banfield...in my world that is known as bait and switch. You are just a *** scam.