El Paso, Texas

We adopted a puppy from a shelter and about a week later he started vomiting, having diarrhea, not eating and was very lethargic. We took him into our local Banfield and when we saw the doctor, we specifically asked the doctor if he thought it was parvovirus.

The puppy was showing all of the classic symptoms of parvo and we since had gotten him from the shelter a week earlier, parvovirus was a very likely diagnosis. The doctor only felt his belly and checked his *** before dismissing parvovirus and saying it was likely just a stomach bug. He did not test for parvo or anything else for that matter before prescribing a cocktail of antibiotics and other medicine to the tune of $400. I immediately questioned his decision to prescribe antibiotics without any definitive diagnosis, to which he had no acceptable answer.

I agreed to the anti-vomit injection and a combination of 2 out of the 4 antibiotics he prescribed. We walked out spending a little over $100 and a bad taste in our mouth about our experience. I felt the doctor did not take the time he should have with our dog and he just wanted to prescribe him some medicine and get us out the door.

My feeling proved right when a few hours after returning home with the puppy, he began vomiting again.

Since he had received an anti-vomit injection, this was a huge red flag. We ended up rushing him to an after hours animal hospital, and sure enough, the vet there diagnosed the puppy with parvovirus after assesing his symptoms and properly testing him. He needed to be hospitalized for several days and he ended up pulling through. It terrifies me to think if he had been properly diagnosed at banfield what would have happened.

Judging by my experience, it's safe to say he probably wouldn't have gotten the proper treatment and probably would have died. I will never, ever return to Banfield and nor will I ever recommend them to anyone. Instead anyone who asks me for a recommendation for a vet, I will be sure to tell this exact story. They are negligible, incompetent, unprofessional and all they care about is getting paid.

But what else do you expect from a corporate veterinary hospital? Lesson learned.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service.

Comments

Banfield Pet Hospital

Hi Bramirez9 - I'm sorry to hear about your experience with us, but I'm glad that your rescue puppy pulled through. I completely understand your frustration, and I apologize that you had such an unhappy experience at our El Paso hospital.

After reading your feedback, we would like to speak with you directly to gather more information. We truly appreciate your honest opinion and would like to prevent this situation from occurring in the future. Could you please call our Client Advocate Team, toll-free, at 877-500-2288 or email cat(at)banfield(dot)com so we can help improve your experience?

Most sincerely,

The Banfield Team

I don't think you know what "negligible" means. I believe the work you are looking for is "negligent."