Knoxville, Tennessee

I took my 14 year old cat to see the vets at Banfield in July of 2010 because he had been losing weight. As a lay person, I expect a veterinarian to be transparent and forthcoming about all of my options; not with negativity either but what should be done.

I expressed also that I work two part time jobs and could not afford to pay high vet bills. One of the vets suspected that Jerry had hyperthyroidism even though he was in the normal range. On December 6th, I spent $69.90 for a T4 thyroid test and a fecal exam. He was noted as having 6% dehydration which I was not told of but was on the paperwork.

I declined the free T4 because he was still in the normal range. On February 28, I returned with Jerry due to vomiting and diarrhea. He had a T4 exam and a blood test. On February 29, I learned from a customer standing beside me that there was a Wellness Program that I could pay annually for that would cover the costs of almost every test Jerry needed including free office visits.

I enrolled in the Optimal Plan of $383.00. The technician had to leave to ask the vet if I could enroll in this service. This service is not advertised anywhere in the clinic. My bill for February 29 was $527.35 but I only had to pay $134.66 with the plan.

At this point, all the tests the vet had suggested previously were now affordable and they were completed. On March 6, I returned with Jerry and he had another exam and everything was within normal limits. I took Jerry back on March 7 and they put in an IV catheter since he was dehydrated. The vet gave a does of Cerenia so he would not vomit.

I spent $255.74 on this visit because IV fluids and hospitalization were not covered under the plan. On Friday, March 9th, I took Jerry back to Banfield and requested a sonogram because I was very worried. She offered prednisone but made it sound VERY dangerous to his liver plus I was not told of the expense for this type of therapy (I learned after the fact that my brother's cat is on prednisone at a cost of .05 a pill and she is doing very well, even gaining weight. I paid $79.73 today for hospitalization and another cerenia injection.

On Friday I was sent to the Critical Care Clinic for an ultrasound. I took the results to Banfield and was basically told he was not going to make it. The ultrasound showed an intestinal obstruction. The vet at Banfield said she could not give more Cerenia to stop vomiting but could give dog pills which were okay but she didn't recommend it.

To help Jerry live, I was not offered any type of payment plan or option for grants to save my "baby". Since I could not afford several thousand dollars for surgery, I was forced to pay over $300 for euthanasia so he would not suffer. I learned tonight that the American Animal Hospital Association offers grant applications for people who cannot afford to pay vet bills. I earn $22,000 a year as a single head of household and have a daughter in college.

It will already be difficult to pay the almost $1300 I have charged. I am filing this complaint because I do not want other people to lose their pets because they do not have access to options that are available to help with finances. I have cried every day since his passing and it has been almost unbearable. I believe that this would not have happened if I had been offered the Wellness Plan back in July when I took him the first time and the doctors had been transparent about all facets of his treatment as well as options for payment with large surgery bills.

As of the past few days I have learned there were many resources available to me. As a lay person, I depend and trust doctors to provide the best options. Now I have lost a member of my family and I will never take another pet to Banfield.

AVOID THESE PEOPLE AT ALL COSTS!!! FIND A REAL VETERINARIAN!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service.

Comments

I too was sucked in to the "wellness plan"

Banfield is a joke and a scam dont waste your money. find a local vet much better service and attention.

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your family member. I have paid alot out for my cats too.

They are part of my family and I would spent the same for a son or daughter. I've heard they are only out to make money and don't care about the pets. As for "nikalseyn" you should have never posted the comments you have.

That is extremely hurtful and just plain mean to say that. It was totally unnecessary, keep comments like that to yourself!

THE DOMB LADY THAT MADE THAT LAST COMMENT ABOUT A CAT ....I HOPE WHEN YOU ARE SICK AND ON YOUR DEATH BED ....NONE OF YOUR FAMILY HELPS YOU AFTER ALL YOU ARE JUST A OLD B...AND WHY SPENT THE MONEY ON SOMONE LIKE YOU THAT IS CRAZY...

BECAUSE IT IS A CAT DO NOT SAVE IT....YOU NEED TO

BURN IN ***...YOU SHOULD NEVER OWN A PET OR HAVE KIDS....HOPE YOU ARE FIXED THE WORLD WOULD BE BETTER WITH OUT PEOPLE LIKE YOU OR YOUR BLOOD LINE.

Banfield Pet Hospital

First of all we want to say how sorry we are for the loss of your cat. We apologize that your visit to one of our hospitals did not meet your expectations. To discuss this further please give our Client Advocate Team a call at 877-500-2288 so we can gather more information and address your concerns.

nikalseyn

Lady, anyone who would spend that much money on a cat is not rational. If you are so poor, you would not have run up all those bills at the Vets.

Now, you want to blame the vet for all of this.

Pay your bills and get over it. Stop playing the victim.