Roanoke, Texas

I got a puppy for Christmas. He was perfectly healthy. Being only 5 weeks old, we decided to ask a professional opinion from a vet about what to give him because he wasn't feeling very good due to the roundworms that he was born with. Every puppy and kitten is born with worms.

We took him in to Banfield because my little sister works up at the pet store and we were picking her up so we stopped and asked them what we could give him. They said that they would do a *** test and give him the medication needed to help him out. They perscribed 50mg of this dewormer.

They gave him half on spot and told me in 3 days for me to give him the other half. 3 days went by and I called them to make sure it was ok to give it to him. They said to give it to them after being on hold for 10 minutes.

I had explained exactly what kinda state he was in. And i would trust a professional so I gave it to him. They said to call to see how he was doing the next day.

After I gave it to him it all went downhill. He stopped eating and drinking all together and he was still sick and puking his guts up. That night he died at 4:23am...

After looking at the reciept they gave me, I did a little research online. They overdosed my puppy. The dosage was 3mg for every pound. He was only 7.2 pounds. Thats about 21mg..... They gave him 50mg...

This has been extremely upsetting to everyone. Not only did they have horrible service, being we waited for a good 45 minutes, but they didn't even do their job right.... Cheap, money hungry good for nothing vet that needs to shut down before more animals die by their hands...

Comments

The concentration of pyrantel pamoate is 50mg/ml, so I think you may have gotten your information a little mixed up, and as a side note the dosing safety margin for this medication is VERY wide, so it is almost impossible to overdose with it unless you give a ridiculous extra amount, which does not sound like what happened here. What you are describing could be an intussuception (a very rare/unpredictable side effect of deworming if a pet has a heavy worm burden), or a viral disease such as Parvovirus.

Also, at 5 weeks old the puppy was too young to be weaned/away from it's mother & this could have resulted in immune system deficits. NEVER wean a puppy before 6 weeks of age, it isn't worth the long-term health risks.

Also I just want to add that you should never take a puppy anywhere! Even to a Petstore to pick up a new pet toy!

I don't even take my puppy to the vet unless its for the extreme procedures or exams that I cannot perform myself. I give the shots and dewormer myself to my pups. The reason being is that Parvo is a contact virus. I can live on surfaces long after the infected dog passed the virus onto that surface.

Taking a puppy that hasn't received it's complete sets of shots to a dog park or pet store is dangerous because they can become in contact with the Parvo virus that may have been transferred by an infected pet. Another thing is that you can carry the virus on you if you pet a strangers dog and let them lick you, which is why you should always wash your hands with disinfectant each time your going to handle your pup. From the symptoms you are describing, it sounds like the puppy had Parvo and bad worms. Also like a previous poster said, not all dogs are born with worms.

Puppies are only born with worms if their mother had it in the first place.

This means the breeder you got your puppy from probably did not take care of their dogs very well. I am sorry for your loss and I hope that your next pup lives long!

@Jeanso

Parvo is spread through infected ***, NOT saliva. This is a common misconception (due to the internet and "Dr Google"...sigh).

@boosgh

REALLY?!?! This website is called pissedconsumer, yet I they censor out the word F-E-C-E-S? I can't think of a nicer way to describe p o o p!

You are beyond wrong! Do your research!

The CONCENTRATION of pyrantel is 50mg/mL. So if your puppy weighed 7 pounds, he should have gotten .7 mL. And even if he got a whole mL (which is 50mg), u can't really overdose on pyrantel.

And NO, not all puppies and kittens are born with worms. If ur puppy was throwing up golf ball sized worms, well that's grossly abnormal.

5 Weeks is way too early to determine if a puppy is going to be "perfectly healthy" or not. The puppy should not have been separated from its mother.

I'm very sorry the puppy lost its life, but I do not think in this case the veterinary facility is to blame. Of course a puppy or kitten can survive without its mother at this age but it is certainly not ideal and not healthy.

A responsible breeder will not let babies go so soon, and should have dewormed them at 4 weeks, then 8 before sending the puppy on its way. Next time you want a puppy you should do your research on how to take care of one and how to find a responsible breeder.

first of you shouldn't have had the puppy if it was only 5 weeks old... who knows what it could have died from....

And whatever breeder said it was okay should not be breeding puppies... ridiculous

personally you guys should think about what you are saying and turn the tables around. Vets are not super heroes with super powers they can't save every pet.

I took my dog to a vet in shawnee and they told me he had a bacterial infection. they gave him a pain medication injection and sent me home with Baytril and amoxicillin. After suffering in pain all night he passed away at 8:34 am. Yes I am sad that he died but I do not blame the vet.

I understand that they can't save all of them and it would be great if they could but this isn't perfectville. So think about that before you start blaming them

For your information they did not give your puppy "50/mg" of pyrantel ( dewormer ) that is how the label prints out. It's the measurement per pound.

If a pet weighs 15.30 pounds the amout of pyrantel to be given is 1.5 mls. under quantity it can say exactly how much was given for the pet, but next to pyrantel on the label it always says 50/mg referring to the dosage in general.

What an *** this owner is. You shouldnt be allowed near animals. I shutter to think what kind of mother you would make.

Doesn't sound like dewormer killed this puppy! This pup died of owner stupidity.

5 weeks is way too young to separate a puppy from it's mother and litter. Any good dog breeder knows that puppies have to stay with their mother until they are 8 weeks old.

It's essential for social behaviors to develop and most importantly the mother's milk gives these puppies antibodies to prevent illness (kind of what you get in a vaccine...only this provides natural immunity) ... which could have been the cause of your puppy's death.

okay well we knew he had worms(roundworms) cuz he thru them up and the other puppies did too in the liter. true, each Banfield has a different vet, well we took him to Southlake one in Texas and all they did was OD our puppy and made him a deathly sick, he should of waited 3 weeks before the second dosage.

the medicine is called pyrantel pamoate. i looked at all the things about it n 3 different cites and they basiclly say the same thing.

I am sorry for your loss. 5 weeks is way too early for a puppy to be taken from the litter. 8 weeks is the minimum for larger sized dogs. Dogs taken that early can suffer greatly with physical and emotional issues.

Puppies are routinely dewormed even if their fecals test negative. If the puppy came from someone who knew what they were doing and didn't accidentally have a litter, than he/she would've been dewormed at 4 weeks and 8 weeks before going home. It's standard procedure. Your puppy may have been too sick for you to save him. You did everything you could.

I take my puppy to Banfield and I love them. The staff and vet are great. Every Banfield has a different vet, so you can get different experiences at each one.

okay for you information, it wasnt parvo. not even a sign of it.

2nd he was throwing up HUGE GOLF BALL SIZE WORMS IN OUR BACK YARD AFTER THE DOSAGE. 3RD OF ALL, the ppl we got it from was my aunt or my dads sister that breed her husky and then my dad wanted to come up here for x-mas and it was a present. she said it was all right.

even this vet that has been around for like ever agreed. 4th and last of all the vet should have KNOWN NOT TO GIVE HIM THAT MEDICINE AND SAID TO COME BACK IN A WEEK!

As a qualified veterinarian NOT associated with Banfield, I would say you puppy died from Parvoenteritis not overdose of dewormer which has a very high lethal dose rate. Also, 5 weeks is WAY too young for puppies to be separated from the mother and litter.

BAnfield is a horrible place. They locked my dog in a cage for 6 hours without food water or bathroom breaks.

He was supposed to get a checkup and vaccines. Then has the nerve to tell me that he is cage agressive. I said I would be aggressive too if I were locked in a cage without food water or freshair and a bathroom. He wasn't allowed toys or a blanket.

My dog was dewormed without my knowledge, eventhough his worm test was negative forall worms. They just want money. If the vets were any good they would be in private practice and not a franchise. THey are no better that a McDonalds.

I am so sorry your puppy died. That should never have happened.

You should read about all the animals that have died or been injured in BAnfield'shands. I will never go there again.

Ok for one I know for a fact that this puppy is healthy. My dad has been around the entire litter since the moment they were born.

It didnt pick up any infection from taking it anywhere bc thats the first *** place hes been outside of a safe home. The whole *** point of a vet is for this exact reason. The BREEDER who knows all about this *** even agrees with everything even her vet that she's been taking dogs to her whole life who is trusted said this is on the vet. dont give me any *** that i dont know how to take care of my own *** puppy bc ive had many many dogs in my life.

you can shut the *** up and gtfo this site if all your trying to do is start ***. this site is for people who are telling and warning others of their experiences with a pos money hungry vet who does not care about the safety and well being of people's loved pets.

SHUT THE *** UP ABOUT MY SISTER! YOUR THE ONE WHO NEEDS TO GET THE BALLS AND GET IT RIGHT!

THE VET DID BCUZZ HE KNEW OUR PUPPY WAS 5 1/2 WEEKS OLD PUPPY THAT HE SHOULDNT OF HAD THAT GOD D*** MEDICINE. HE WAS A PERFECTLY HEALTHY PUPPY BCUZZ HE WAS PLAYING, BARKING, HOWLING, EATTING, DRINKING AND OTHER SHI* PUPPIES DO. THE ONLY PROBLEM HE HAD WAS WORMS. HMM IF MY SISTER DIDNT KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF A PET, THEN HOW IS HER CAT AND SUGAR GLIDER STILL ALIVE HUH?

YOUR JUST A JACK *** LOSER WHO GOTS NO BALLS. LEARN YOUR FACTS AND MORE ABOUT IT BEFORE U SPRAY IT LOSER.

You are not a vet... there is no way for you to know that you puppy was "perfectly healthy" when you got him.

He might have "looked healthy" to you but you have no medical knowledge of animals. Dewormer is pretty safe and even over dosing would not kill your puppy.

It most likely died from an infectious cause since you were taking it to places like petsmart when it was too young and unvaccinated. Learn how to properly care for animals before you get them.