Rochester, New York

My cat walked into the house this past Wednesday with one of his back legs covered in blood. After calling around, we decided to go try out the local Banfield since it was close and has space and time.

This was considered an emergency since he was still bleeding. We were worried it was an animal attack, but they said his would looked like a knife cut. They shaved him, x-rayed him, drugged him, bandaged him, and sent him back to us. We were told to come in the next day for a follow up.

We dropped him off all day long, 8 to 5. When we got him back, we were told the tendons in his legs had been cut and his joint had been cut/damaged, and he would develop gangrene. We were told our only two options were to amputate or put him down. We had only two days to decide.

We took him home, heartbroken, and kept watch over him all night, discussing our options. After some of the drugs wore off from the follow up, he started walking around easily, no issues, eating and even jumping. Not quite possible if his leg had such supposed severe damage. We decided to go with a second opinion and as of this morning, that second opinion from a local small vet's office said his leg is perfectly fine.

No damage, the wound is actually a ***, no infection. His exact words were that "amputation and euthanasia are the last things I would think for him." He has always been a healthy, two year old cat. I spent about $500 dollars on getting him fixed up at Banfield, with the only good things coming out of it being a rabies shot and getting the bleeding stopped. Everything else was completely unnecessary, a waste of money.

What ticks me off even more is that these people almost killed or permanently maimed my cat over something that a doctor only had to see for 10 minutes before knowing it was a simple wound. I will never, ever go back there again.

Something is really wrong with that system.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service.

Comments

Banfield Pet Hospital

Hi Mermaidbarker - I hope your cat is feeling much better after suffering an injury to his back leg! I'm sorry about your experience at our Monroe hospital.

I understand your frustration and am sorry you and your cat went through such a stressful situation.

After reading your feedback, we would like to speak with you directly to gather more information. We truly appreciate your honest opinion about your experience with us. Could you please call our Client Advocate Team, toll-free, at 877-500-2288 or email cat(at)banfield(dot)com so we can better understand what happened?

We look forward to hearing from you at your convenience. Most sincerely, The Banfield Team