Phoenix, Arizona

Banfield Pet Hospital located in Paradise Valley Arizona at Petsmarts performed a spad and declaw on my pet. The price they quoted was $365.00 to $575.00 depending on the vets descretion on pain meds. The bill came in at max however I was aware of the rage so I paid but was not pleased. I followed vets instructions for care of pet. 1 Week later the incision reopened so my wife brought pet in to have incision reclosed. When I went back less than 2 hours later, Banfield handed me a bill for $319.00 to reclose incision that was provbably not stitched correctly in first place. I have had numerous animals that have had surgical procedures in past. With all my previous vets, there would never have been an addition charge of the magnitude simply becuase they are animal caregivers. This simple stitch procedure to reclose incision cost almost more than the original quote to spade and declaw. When I asked for manager and became upset, they told me to leave or they would call police. I immediately went to Petsmarts store manager and again complained to him. He promised to have Petsmarts regional manager call me, still waiting.

BANFIELD PET HOSPITAL IS A BAIT AND SWITCH GROUP OF UNETHICAL UNPROFESSIONAL PET CARE GIVING CROOKS.

Do not go there unless you want to be taken advantage of financially.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service.

Comments

Why would you go to the Pets'Mart manager. They two companies have nothing to do with each other.

Your just being a baby because you don't how how to take care of a cat. Im sure YOU didn't take care of it via the proper discharge paperwork.

I would be more sympathetic if I'd hadn't seen this situation at other veterinary clinics.

First of all, the term is spay, not spade. I find it a little odd that you're unclear about the name of the procedure. De-claws are very expensive because it is extremely painful for the cat and they need to stay in the hospital overnight with constant monitoring by the staff, as well as some serious strength pain medication. Factor that in the the cost of the actual removal of the claws during surgery and you're looking at a significant amount of time, care, and medical supplies that are needed. It gets expensive.

Second, they have to charge you to re-close the suture site because 1) they have to use expensive hospital supplies to do so and 2) the leading cause of stitches coming out is when the owner takes the cone off of their pet because "she looks sad." There is no way for the doctor to know if the stitches came out because there was a problem with the incision itself or because the instructions NOT to take the collar off were not followed.

This "simple stitch procedure" you are talking about requires either general anesthesia or a sedative and local anesthetic to re-do (depending on what the doctor on staff feels comfortable with). It would be nothing short of torture to do the procedure without those things. And unfortunately, both of those things are very costly.

It sounds to me like the problem here is that the staff didn't communicate with you properly in terms of what exactly you were getting for your money.

@Anon

First and foremost, de-clawing is unethical, and most states are considering banning this procedure. It does not surprise me that Banfield chooses to perform this.

Since Banfield is known for not explaining proper after care.

Most vet offices choose to correct surgery issues because they value customers, while Banfield could care less. Your total disregard for people's feelings concerning their pets welfare and I can see why you work their.

@ Lisa, Banfield Online Community Manager - You could begin to help Banfield 1 by realizing he/she was more than likely talking about her CAT. Not a dog as you suggest.

This person just paid $894 to get a spay and declaw for her cat, both very routine procedures, and you TRY to provide AFFORDABLE care? Sure that was a "thorough" job cleaning out their wallet taking care of this person's cat, no wait, DOG. I sincerely do not know how you people stay in business. And your cookie cutter responses are ludicrous.

The sooner you jokers are shut down the better. Hit the mark my foot, when you can't tell a dog from a cat.

Banfield Pet Hospital

Hi Banfield1 - Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Paradise Valley location. We try to provide affordable care while doing a thorough job to take care of your dog.

After reading your feedback, we would like to speak with you directly to gather more information. We strive to provide exceptional customer service to our customers. When we don't hit the mark, we truly appreciate your honest opinion about your experience with us. Could you please call our Client Advocate Team, toll-free, at 877-500-2288 or email cat(at)banfield(dot)com to help us better understand how we can improve? We look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Most sincerely,