Richmond, Virginia
2.1

Had a very sick puppy, they seemed to care very much. Sadly they didn't have the skill or knowledge about how to treat her.

Unfortunately after seeing a specialist and an er visit we had to put our 4.5 month old puppy down. What upset me was the fact that they are still making us pay the wellness plan for an animal that is deceased. They told us we used too many visits and that we had no choice but to pay. But yet in the plan it says visits are free.

So then they claimed that it's bc they had to run all kinds of tests, but we paid out of pocket for everything that wasn't covered. So yea, not happy.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

#1204703

The wellness plan is NOT insurance. When you sign up, it states in the contract you sign that if you cancel for whatever reason before the year is up, you either pay the remainder of the months you owe OR the services you've used, at cost.

Let me break it down.

This is the cost of services WITHOUT the plan.

$40- $50 (depending on where you live) PER office visit

$20- $35 PER vaccine & PER vaccine boosters.

$15- $20 PER deworming

$45- $50 PER fecal exam. $350- $400 for the spay (not sure you got that far, but even if you didn't) $100- $200 per comprehensive exam (you get 2.

one is done the day they sign up and the next at 9mo old) $30- $50 Ear swab Plus 5% or 10% discount on everything not included in the plan. The office visits are free to you BUT that's because you pay monthly. So, if you've used multiple office visits, multiple vaccines/boosters, deworming fecal exams, 1 comprehensive exam & maybe the ear swab. So that's over $500 worth of services and the plan for the year, depending on the level is roughly $400.

Just like a cellphone contract. If you sign up for 2yrs and cancel before the 2yrs you are charged a cancellation fee. As I said, the plan is NOT insurance, it's a wellness plan so they aren't charging for services that you have not used. I worked at Banfield for 6yrs.

I'm sincerely sorry for your loss. What was wrong with your puppy?

#1208018
@Anonymous

The prices are ridiculous! My vet charges 30 per visit, and vaccinations are half that price!

Four hundred dollars for spaying!?

My vet is 134 hundred, and that includes medication and a cone.

I am very sorry for the loss of your puppy. Also that they could properly diagnose your poor puppy.

#1208200
@Anonymous

Does your vet do bloodwork before spaying? IV catheter?

IV meds with intubation and gas for anesthesia? How about monitoring for ECG, blood pressure, temperature, spo2, etco2, and fluids during surgery to maintain blood pressure?

That's what costs at Banfield. You cannot get that quality anesthesia for $134.