Wichita, Kansas
2.3

I signed up for the Wellness Plan for my four dogs. They tell me services are covered under the plan. I had to pay out of pocket every time I took my dogs to the vet. I called and canceled the plan today. They applied the remaining balance on the plan to my credit card. Here are some things I did not like about Banfield:

1. I was not allowed to go back with my pets when they had their shots.

2. When Titan, my boxer, hurt his leg, I took him in to the vet. My regular vet at Banfield wasn't in the office. I said that was fine he needs to be seen. They took him back without me to do X-rays on his leg. He tried to *** them. Of course he did. He felt threatened and did not know them. I okayed the sedation to get his X-rays done. Then the vet tells me it looks like he's okay and won't need surgery. Then he calls me back to tell me he's gonna need surgery for his partial ACL tear. The vet proceeded to try to bully me into scheduling him with an orthopedic surgeon. I said no thank you. Two weeks after that Titan was walking around with no problem. So if he has an ACL tear it must not be that severe.

3. The wellness plan does not save me money. I pay more per year than I would if I just took my dogs to a different vet twice a year. The woman on the phone with the wellness plans wanted to argue with me about how I'm saving money. No I am not.

4. I hate their policy of dropping your pets off all day for a checkup. I understand dropping them off for surgery. That's completely different. I want to be present when my pets are awake and being poked and prodded by people they don't even know. I have never had a vet that didn't allow you to be present for their regular checkups.

I wish I would not have gone to Banfield. I could have saved money and stress by using a different local vet.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Vaccination.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

I'm assuming the pet morning drop off is something that's good for pet owners who work and can't take time off work to have their pet seen, as well as morning drop off for pre surgical procedures.

However, I would under no circumstances just drop my pet off in the morning if I had the time available to wait and be with my pet during a routine examination. I want to meet the doctor, I want see and know what's going on and I want to be able to have the Doc answer any questions or address any concerns I may have at that time of the exam.

People just don't just drop off their child at a Doctors or Dentist office for the day and pick the child up after words.

Your assessment of the Wellness Plan is correct and will not actually save you money in the long run. The Wellness Plan only covers a VERY LIMITED amount of medical services.

Banfield for the part over prices their medical services.

i.e general & RX medications, X-rays, vaccinations & Spay/neutering surgery. So, the Wellness Plan is just an expensive down payment for all the other medical needs and care that you'll find to be quite costly and additional out of pocket expenses that the plan does not cover.

My personal feelings about the Wellness Plan is that the plan might be good for pet owners who have no choice but to make monthly payments for routine general vet services and pet care that just can't afford to pay their bill in full to a private vet at the time services are rendered.

Kinda like a welfare wellness plan for pet owners.

I found a local private vet to actually be less expensive overall for my dog's medical needs.