Deltona, Florida

Update by user Jul 25, 2012

My local Banfield called and told me they are willing to work out some resolution with me, I will know Monday. I have / will try to remove the complaint but this site doesn\'t afford me that option.

I re red my review, there is nothing said that wasn\'t factual. The statements I made about Banfield in regards to maximizing their profits on my claim are only speculation.

Update by user Jul 25, 2012

Original review posted by user Jul 24, 2012

Complaint Description:

My dog was sick, I told the Vet on Monday the 16th of July that my dog was vomiting for 3 days, the vet at Banfield ordered bloodwork and xrays, along with IV's / meds which totalled nearly $1100.00 in regular fee's, then sent me home with meds never telling me to bring Lucy back if the symptoms continue, I was just told to bring her back on Sunday. On Thursday I had to bring her back in as she was severly dehydrated, the vet again ordered more of the same, blood work, and xrays, along with IV's and fluids, I declined the Xrays as I told him we just had an xray done 3 days ago and the professional 3rd party examiner found nothing, my dog hasn't eaten since this time so what is the point of the xray, it was just another $220 in charges toward in fee's for nothing. So on Thursday I had a new bill for $315.00 in regualar fee's for bloodwork, office visits, and meds ad I was still no closer to knowing what was wrong with my dog!! I was told to bring her back for more of the same on Friday however my gut instinct told me to start over with a new vet, even though I had the Wellness plan that my wife entered us into for 1 year worth of premiums that offers discounts at Banfield. Once I told the new vet at Aloma Jancy what I had been through and the amount of time that had passed where my dog was vomiting he cleared the scheduele and did an emergency exploratory surgery where he found a complete blockage due to a perforated intestine and lesions growing inside the intestine. Lucy died the next day, she was too weak and had too many days of toxic bacteria exiting her intestines into her cavity. The vet at Aloma Jancy asked why didn't Banfield order "Barium" It would have shown the blockage on the xray. I feel the reason they didn't order Barium is due to profits, if Banfield orders Barium and an xray on Monday, they can't bill me out for multiple days worth of xrays, bloodwork, hospital stays, and other fees/meds for more visits. In order to maxamize their profits from my case they need to keep ordering inhouse xrays and blood work and drag the case out al long as possible, then finish the case with Barium, or a Sonograph and a exploratory. If they ordered the Barium or a sonogram or a endoscopy on Monday the blockage would have shown up and the only thing left to bill for would be a exploratory. I feel Banfields corporate attitude is to make as much as possible from each case and to do that isn't in the pets best interest. When I asked Banfield Oviedo why they didn't order Barium they had no answer. Both Aloma Jancy Animal Hospital and Shaffer Animal hospital said the Barium is always done on the 1st day when a case like mine comes in. I have read Banfields online reviews and I'm not alone in my feelings of their care.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service.

Comments

I totally agree it's a ripoff they gave my dog 4 different antibiotics because they didn't know what was wrong with him so when I took him in for a followup after it was a different vet that said "why did she give you all that? he didn't need that only needed 1, well she may have not known." Really?!

But I thought maybe it was just that one time but Nope next time vet said under her breath "well not really sure what that medicine does but we can give it to him." I thought whoa wait I can say I'm not sure but you can't you're supposed to know. then wanted to do an x-ray on my dog which would cost me $216 and that's with the monthly ($38) insurance I'm paying... I said no let's wait.. I took him home with antibiotic called a reputable vet x-ray costs $90 regular exam is $27.50.

You can bet I'm not going to Banfield anymore, cancelling my insurance... I can put the $38.50 in a separate account and go to a real vet and use the money as needed.

I'm glad I learned my lesson before it's too late. DON'T go to Banfield you're pet will thank you and live longer.

My dog died becouse she was sick so we gave her a shot and she is in heaven now. . :cry

#519068

I have been reading Veterinary Manuals on Gastrointestinal Obstructions, this is what the Merck Veterinary Manual says about "plain radiographs" which was the only thing Banfield wanted to do for me over a crucial 100 hour ...period. "Plain radiographs are often unrewarding." They go on to talk about other/ better methods of diagnosing the intestinal blockage here: Abdominal ultrasound is useful for diagnosing intestinal intussusception.

Transverse sonographic images of intestinal intussusception often show a “target-like” appearance.

Barium-impregnated polyethylene spheres are capsules containing radiopaque plastic spheres. They are being used for the diagnosis of GI obstruction and motility disorders in dogs and cats.

Flexible endoscopic examination is useful in the identification of foreign objects, mass lesions, and ileocolic intussusception. So why wasn't Barium ordered? Why wasn't an sonograph ordered?

Why wasn't a flexible endoscopic ordered? Why did your vets only order a standard xray? My friend just told me yesterday his Pug also had a blockage, there was all sorts of items wound up into a ball in his intestine like a make up sponge, string, and a few other things that I now forget but the point was even that didn't show up on an xray, the vet told him the xray is 100+ year old technology, the sonograph will show everything. The only answer I have for any of this is billable charges, you get more billable charges if you delay the diagnosis, xrays are probably one of your more profitable items at over $200 per pop.

While Banfield was taking their time to diagnose my dog Lucy, Lucy was growing weaker and weaker by the hour from lack of food and water, she was also having deadly bacteria exit her intestine and enter her bloodstream. I'm so pissed right now.

Banfield Pet Hospital
#519064

Hi Adamgamz - We are sorry about your family's loss of Lucy and we empathize with you during this difficult time. I understand your frustration and am sorry you and Lucy went through such a stressful situation. We have found your records and appended this additional review to them. In addition, I have also escalated this review to the Client Advocate Team. We are working to address your specific concerns and get a hospital response expedited. The hospital should be following up with you within the next 3 business days regarding your concerns. Again, we are sorry for your loss.

Sincerely,