Bellevue, Washington

So My wife and I noticed one of our dogs was itching alot and then all of the sudden she started loosing her hair! So we took her in to Banfield's since that is the closest vet to our house.

They said she is allergic to flea bits. she gave us First Shield and shampoo and a conditioner and some other *** total (over $120). They convinced us to get a skin graph and skin scrape (another $60) they said she might also have a food allergy and recommended this dog food that is $65 for 15 LBS!!!! And then after the graph and scrape they said she also has ring worm and bacterial infection.

They wanted to treat everything all at once (another $230) I asked them how can we know whats wrong if we treat everything all at once? The lady said its just easier to be safe than sorry. After doing some research I found my dog had no symptoms of ring worm or a bacterial infection and they thought that the itching and hair loss could be either allergies or fleas (this is when I asked about how treating for both would tell us which it was). After using First Shield for several months my dog has lost more hair and itches non-stop and I still see fleas on her!!!!

I am out over $300 and I am worse off than when I started!!! I flea bombed I used the shampoos and sprays and did everything they said to do and all they have to say is bring her in and we can diagnose her again!!!!!!!!!!! Thats $30 just for the visit plus whatever *** tests they "need" to run it would be another $100+ for that visit!!! (I AM NOT JUST A RANDOM PERSON I HAVE WORKED AT VET CLINICS, HUMANE SOCIETIES, ALL OVER OREGON, I AM NO VET BUT BEEN AROUND AND WORKED WITH VETS FOR YEARS!!!!!) TAKE MY ADVICE DO NOT GO TO BANFIELD'S THEY ARE *** VETS, EACH VET WILL HAVE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DIAGNOSIS, THEY SCAM YOU AND FALSIFY INFORMATION, DO TESTING THAT IS NOT NECESSARY, TRY AND TREAT ONE SYMPTOM WHICH COULD BE MULTIPLE DIAGNOSIS ALL AT ONCE INSTEAD OF RULING OUT POSSIBLE ISSUES NOT ALLOWING YOU TO FIND OUT THE ACTUAL EXACT PROBLEM, THEY SELL *** PRODUCTS AT OVER PRICED LABELS, THEY ARE NOT AFRAID TO SELL PRODUCTS THAT ARE PROVEN TO NOT WORK OR CAUSE HARM TO YOUR PETS!!!, THIS IS A CORPORATION NOT A CLINIC THEY ARE VETS WHO CANNOT GET HIRED BY TRUE CLINICS OR ARE NOT COMPETENT ENOUGH TO HAVE THEIR OWN CLINIC, THEY ARE ALL ABOUT $$$$$ NOT YOUR ANIMAL!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TAKE MY ADVISE!!!! I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT AND DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE I DID AND SO MANY PEOPLE DO DAILY.

WE NEED TO ALL PUT A STOP TO BANFIELD'S FRANCHISES EVERYWHERE!!! STICK WITH YOUR LOCAL CLINICS THESE ARE VETS THAT TRULY CARE ABOUT YOU AND YOUR PETS BECAUSE THEIR JOBS AND REPUTATION DEPEND ON IT IN ORDER TO COMPETE WITH THE BANFIELD'S OF THE COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service.

Comments

I took my ten year old golden mix to them because we are struggling financially and had a coupon for a free exam. My dog had been vomiting and I wanted to make sure she hadn't eaten something that made her sick b/c she's normally a happy healthy girl on Iams or Muenster high quality food and exercised regularly.

The vet came back, KNOWING MY HUSBAND IS OUT OF WORK, with a plan to catheterize her with antibiotics, put her on an IV requiring sedation and then transporting her to an emergency vet hospital overnight. Just the estimated bill for banfield would have been $1500. I love our puppy-she's our link to back when times were better. I guess I just don't understand why her treatment was so costly-over $400 for an injection and IV.

If she makes it, I am switching to a local vet that uses homeopathic remedies.

I just don't trust them. :?

why would anyone take their pet to a corporate animal hospital in the first place? Be kind to your pets and take them to a real animal hospital with real professionals.

I am a vet and the treatment plan seemed reasonable. I am unsure about the "skin graph" though because those are only used when a large area of skin is injured.

They charged us extra for pain medication for my kitten after he was neutered. We asked why it wasn't included in the charge for the surgery and they couldn't give us an answer.

She just said "You wouldn't want Charlie to be in pain would you?" Idiots....of course not...pay the extra....Never ever again will we go to Banfield....NEVER

As a former employee, I have first hand experience with just how unprofessional Banfield is. I have never worked for a company that gets so many complaints!

And I mean angry, threatening, everybody-is-looking-at-us outraged, screaming, dissatisfied pet owners. I did it for over a year and that was enough. On an average day, the inexperienced, fresh out of vet school doctors managed to complicate simple procedures, over/ under/ misdiagnose pets, keep a filthy, bloody exam table, eat lunch in the surgery room, etc... This was common for all of the Chicago area locations, as the district manager made many visits!

Banfield is notorious for housing extremely unsanitary conditions (due to lack of schooled, professional technicians), inexperienced new doctors (they are cheaper and more disposable than a vet with years of experience), and dissatisfied customers!!

I would NEVER recommend taking a beloved pet to a CHAIN clinic. Their number 1 priority is PROFIT!

Rabies shots are $34.95 each, not $80 a piece. They have been been since April 2009.

Since rabies is mandatory by the state, THEY regulate the prices.

As for everyone else who complains about the service and all the testing and things that are done to your pets, you can get angry about all of thetest and the expensive prices, but ultimately you brought your animal to Banfield for a reason. You wanted to talk to a vet and you wanted their advise. That's what you got, a doctor told you what they thought and now you are questioning that?

Why even take youe pet to a vet? Diagnose him and treat him yourself then! You people don't make any sense. If you would have walked in, talked a vet, they said, "nothing is wrong with your pet", didn't charge you a thing and a week later, he is still having the same problems, you would STILL be complaining.

Sometimes there is just no pleasing some people.

This should be well known- ESPECIALLY to someone who has worked in a vet hospital before and with RVTs and DVMs. Shame on you for putting on such a show- you said yourself that you were not a DVM, so how do YOU know what was wrong with him? If you read everything that you said again, it sounds rediculous.

"THEY SCAM YOU AND FALSIFY INFORMATION, DO TESTING THAT IS NOT NECESSARY, TRY AND TREAT ONE SYMPTOM WHICH COULD BE MULTIPLE DIAGNOSIS ALL AT ONCE INSTEAD OF RULING OUT POSSIBLE ISSUES NOT ALLOWING YOU TO FIND OUT THE ACTUAL EXACT PROBLEM". They run tests so that they can find out exactly what it ISN'T. That's how doctors work. Are you serious right now?

How do you not understand. If you go to your doctor and something is wrong with you and he doesn't know what it is, he tests you. He keeps testing you until they find out what it is. They may start treating you for other symptoms, but will make sure that the meds given won't interfere or make worse a possible other problem you may have.

The only reason you don't complain about THAT is because you probably have insurance so you don't see the bill.

Wanna have it that way for your pet too? Call VPI Pet insurance, get on a plan so you won't pay a thing, then maybe you won't be so concerned about the things that YOU think a person spending 8 years in med school did wrong.

I live in Texas (Banfield, Parker Road on Plano), I have two dogs and spend hundres, if not thousands, each year. One day, my Yorkie ate my water pill (I dropped it on the floor and she got it before I could pick it up!).

I immediately called Banfield, they said to bring both dogs in....even though I told them it was Reese. They said I should have my Pom's stomach pumped too....it was going to be over $300. I said I did not want to do that, it was Reese. They siad if I was not 100% sure, it is better to pump his stomach instead of having a dead dog!

I started cyring...my Pom is reallyl old... When I adopted him, he had heart worms. Our local shelter treated him, but before he got treatment, Banfield tried to sale me their treatment for $1,000+....they told me he would probably die because the shelther does not care about animals! I am sick of these people....I pay $60 for two pets on their wellness plans...have been going here for years, had no idea I was being ripped off.

It was just after these rude instances, when they were trying to sale me more services, that I started investigating.

All THEY CARE ABOUT IS MAKING MONEY. DON'T GO TO BANFIELD!

I'm sure you havent been to EVERY banfield in the country. And if you've worked at other vet clinics, you know it is bad professionalism to speak poorly of any other clinic.

You wont be hating them so bad when something severely bad happens to your pet, and you really need them. I feel very bad for you when u go back and they say, "SORRY WE DONT HELP *** HOLES!!!"

The #'s changed so it is no longer in RE: #3 but to 'concerned, on 20-09-2009 18:29!

It is NOT JUST 1 store. I'm clear across the country and I've experienced A LOT of the SAME COMPLAINTS as the others which expressed their experiences and they come from ALL OVER THE COUNTRY!!!!

In Re: #3

It is NOT JUST 1 store. I'm clear across the country and I've experienced A LOT of the SAME COMPLAINTS as the others which expressed their experiences and the come from ALL OVER THE COUNTRY!!!!

I used banfield for a year with their wellness plane. I am sure that each one is different but I will never agian go back.

Each time I brought my dog they would try and get me to buy stuff that I didn't need or want. They bascially laughed when I told them my dog had a really bad reaction to the flea medicine they sell. They told me just to drug with him medicine before giving it too him. Not gonna happen.

They basically just try and get you to buy stuff rather then care for the animal.

Now they have allways been nice as far as you can tell so no complaints there. Also I thought the physicall was indepth but they do take him out of the room for some reason so you dont really know what they are doing.

Marcejen

Dec 2004, Not knowing any vet in town when we moved to Tallahassee, Fl, I took our 2 cats to Banfield.

Rabbie shot $80.00 per cat...The Technician was soooooo rude with our older cat, that the young one try to jump on her...oh yes, I forget for this price you have to old your cat yourself. Any concern about the health of your cat is not even considered.....No second chance for that store...I found a normal vet, one with respect for the animals and their owner.

You should not be saying slanderous things about a business based on 1 store. I have been to 2 Banfields and have never had any problems.