Syracuse, New York
2.3K views 209 comments

I usually buy Frontline from Banfield located at most Pet Smart stores.They were out the size I needed for my dogs.

Was talked into buying "Fisrt Shield" told it was just as good as Frontline. NOT!!! My one dog has allergies to the flea bites and the rest of the other animals ( 1 dog and 3 cats) are still scratching the **** out of themselves. My dog's rear end, legs, some of her feet ar eBALD, and I cannot control her endless scratching w/ benadryl or omega, Vit E oils.

I went down to Banfields to get my money back and was told "All sales final"/ "When did you start using this?" (8/05)"You have to give it a few months to work" (?) I have been using Frontline you didn't have it - sold me this/"It's not the fleas that are doing it, but there is an overpopulation of fleas this year" (HUH?) So I'm out $107.60.

NICE Don't go to Pet Smart OR Banfield Vet Clinics EVER!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me share

Review about: First Shield Trio.

Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Banfield Pet Hospital?

Comments

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States #638213

First off, this medication DOES NOT go into the blood stream. It wicks its way across the hair.Because of this, if your pet does have a reaction, you can easily wash the product from their skin using Dawn dish soap and they will be fine. Within 6 hours, the medication will cause the fleas to begin to go into "convulsions". Many times, if the pet is severely infested with fleas, this will cause them to react as the fleas convulse.

One comment stated that the medication contains permethrin, which is toxic to cats. The cat version DOES NOT contain oermethrin, only the dog version. If you have both cats and dogs, you need to separate them for several hours to prevent the cat from licking up any product placed on to your dog. Once the product is dry, your cat is then safe.

I am a registered vet tech and have seen this product used many times, I have only seen a few reactions from this product. I have seen more reactions from other products, especially cheap OTC products.

I hate to hear of ANY reaction on a pet though. Two of my cats had a terrible reaction to Advantage, but it happens. Every animal is different.

Also, First Shield is NOT owned by Banfield, and Banfield and PetSmart are also separate companies.

warmrainydaze

I bought First Shield & applied it to 3 German Shepherds & 2 cats on Nov 20th.Fleas were only gone for about 2 weeks + my cats drooled terribly for a full day after application.

I had to wait the while 30 days before I could put anymore on our oldest female Shepherd, who was scratching until she was bleeding from allergic reactions to the flea bites. Within 7 days of her re-application, fleas were back. Honestly, I'm not sure they were gone at all.

I called the Banfield in Medford, OR, where I've been buying flea treatments and other products for 20 years, to see if they would help me with figuring out what to do.

First, the receptionist argued with me. Then she put me in hold for ten minutes, then sounded surprised I was still there. The next thing was she hung up on me trying to put me on hold. Of course I called back and requested she have the vet call me.

After 2 hours with no call and no surprise, I called again and was informed that since Banfield is a corporation and not a real vet clinic (her words, not mine!), they don't have to honor the product guarantee. By this point I was furious!

I told her as I'm telling you now, I will NEVER spend another dime at any Banfield Vet Hospital again!They lied about this being their own product, about how it works, about how well it works, and also about buying Advantage from PetsMart (they said it was an inferior product and not to waste my money there).

Jordan

I never had a problem in the past with any products that I purchased from Banfield before, but I would never buy First Shield again.It made my dog (11 pd shitzu-bichon mix) act like she was crazy.

SHe couldn't sit still, was running around and chasing her own tale and in the middle of the night began yelping out. She had to be bathed tree times and still kept a twitch in her back leg for an additional day. It took almost three days for her to be able to sleep for more then 10 minutes. My husband and I were up all night.

This product should be banned. Yes, it killed the fleas, but I do not know which I prefer. I was very afraid for out little dog. It is too strong of product.

I should have done more research, but I thought a clinic in a well known company such as PetSmart would know what they were talking about.Bottom line DO NO USE FIRST SHIELD

Drew

I was at PetSmart yesterday to buy flea application for my 3 dogs and 3 cats.The Advantix and maybe Frontline repels fleas - supposedly before they ***.

They're free to go lay LOTS more eggs. The First Shield has a growth regulator.

When a flea bites, any eggs laid won't grow to adult flea - they can't *** or lay more eggs.The growth regulator is really the only way to stop having more fleas.

CS

I have been using Banfield for 13 yrs (used to be Vetsmart, then Banfield).I have nothing but great things to say about them.

I love the vets at my current Banfield location and they have taken care of all of my dogs with great care. Every vet is different just as every dog is different.

If you have had issues with vets or products, that doesn't mean everyone will.I highly recommend Banfield!

Diane

Nope...I don't agree.

We bought a 8 week old lab and made the mistake of buying the puppy plan from banfield as well. We thought it seemed like a good deal. Wow how wrong we were. They started our lab on first sheild as well.

Not knowing much she started having issues. At the time and not knowing any better we took her to banfield and they prescribed her meds to treat her diareha. Things got better and then a about a month later same thing. Unfortuantely we did not connect it to the first sheild treatments.

After about the 3rd month I asked if it could be a reaction to the first sheild. I was told no. So we proceeded to go thru multiple food changes per vet recommendation because they were telling us she had a senestive stomach. Ultimately they ended up putting her on prescrition food that cost $72 for 17lbs.

The issue continued until or lab finally was so sick we had tp take her to the emergency vet beacuse she had the dry heaves and litterly liquid *** that was dripping out of her rectum. They gave her fluids and receommedned if she is not doing better in the am to take her back to our vet. Again I asked about first sheild and finally this vet told me it was absolutly possilble for her to be allergic to first sheild since it is a pesticide. They way to confirm that would be to treat her again next month and if she is allergic she would have a reation within a week.

I was shocked thay even suggested we try again. I didn't think she...

Another thing I would like to add about the puppy plan is ear examines are included in the plan but I was charged for an extended ear examine.

What is an extended ear examine anyways?Just a way to charge you.

Lynn

I have been using Banfield Pet clinics for nearly 10 years.I have always been satisfied with the care my pets (dogs) recieve.

I don't feel the plan is overpriced at all in fact I save so much I recommend them to all my friends! I have also used the First Shield and loved it! The fleas went away with only one application and stayed gone all summer, however, we did not have grass.

We have moved and now have grass, we will get Fiest Shield again and probably use several applications this year.I have never encountered a pushy vet and love the option of dropping off my pets and picking them up later.

SHAWANDA

HI I HAVE A SHIH TZU AND I HAVE THE PLAN WITH BANFIELD THIS IS MY FRIST HOUSE PET I GOT PEANUT WHEN HE WAS 6 WEEKS OLD HES NOW 10 WEEKS THEY TAKE VERY GOOD CARE OF PEANUT AND I I ALSO HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH FIRSTSHIELD MAYBE BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT I STARTED PEANUT WITH GIVE IT SOME TIME SO FAR SO GOOD I HOPE THIS HELP SOME ONE

First shield works

:zzz

It works it takes about 2 months to fully work though. This item goes into the animals blood stream so it takes some time to fully kill a flea. What it does is any flea that bites it dies, and then the eggs hatch and do the same thing *** your pet and die. It sucks that they didn't mention this to you, but yes after about 2 months use there will be no more fleas in your house or apartment. I've been using it forever now, but i did miss one month due to my pet sitter not putting it on my cats when i was gone to visit family. The fleas came back, and it took a month for them to all die again.

They really should have told you this :( i would have went to another vet to get frontline *** that 1800petmeds place is amazing too :)

S.Tarvin

I have the Wellness Plan at Banfield for our 3yr old Collie.They first recommended Comfortis and he ended up with a seizure.

Not sure if it was the Comfortis but I was not taking that chance again so we went with First Shield Trio. It has seemed to work great, haven't seen a flea in a year. He hasn't had any reactions to the First Shield.

I have ran out but will be going to get more.:)