Reston, Virginia

My puppy was a Shih Tzu, 68 days old and weighed 2.15. I had her 24 days.

In those 24 days she went to Banfield 4 times. First time-bought Wellness Pkg. The vet told me that Shih Tzus were one of her least favorite breeds-she had nasal problems, ear infection and got meds. 2nd time, she had cough, got meds.

3rd time, bad skin, continue meds and got flax seed oil. 4th time went in for shots, she was fine but the night before had an episode where she acted "drunk". DVM, Chief of Staff in OKC I240 operated on her nasal passage and spaded her. She was still on meds from the other times.

She killed my puppy!

I want justice.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Wellness Plan.

Comments

I had the same problem only mine was a 5 week old kitten that we had saved of the road! She was doing fine but we wanted to just get her checked out because she was having a little diarrhea.

When I went in they did all kinds of tests and in the end told me everything was fine that she was just a little dehydrated. Then they sent me home with fluids and a can of food.

Not even 24 hrs later she died. Funny the vet told me she was going to be fine!

I used to work as a technician for Banfield. The company has a set of guidlines for all Vets and Technicians to follow, but all Vets have their own opinions.

Even though I don't work there anymore, I still take my pets to a Vet that does. Even at a private clinic, you'll find practices that you don't agree with. Finding a Vet that's right for you and your pet is not about whether or not a company sucks.

It's about finding the right doctor. I'm very sorry for what happened to your puppy, but that particular disease is an issue with where you got the puppy, and not where he/she was treated.

I saw on tv about health insurance and this popped up right away thank god. I will not persue any further research as I have read such horrible and disgraceful practices on theese poor animals. I am so sorry for all of your losses caused by theese ABUSERS....

A WELLNESS PLAN IS NOT INSURANCE! IT'S FOR PREVENTATIVE CARE SUCH AS VACCINATIONS.

IF YOU SIGNED WITHOUT READING ALL OF THE FINE PRINT, THAT'S YOUR OWN *** FAULT. STOP YOUR BELLY ACHING AND BE RESPONSIBLE PET PARENTS.

You shouldn't have a puppy that young anyways. And no vet would SPAY not SPADED a dog that young.

Seems like ignorance on your behalf if you actually let these things happen...which I highly doubt they did. Poor dog having to be with you.

Banfield also neglected the health of my 14week old yorkie x , short story, got charlie on a sat, he was due to have his last shots so joined wellness plan on sun, he had his shots, by wed he had stopped drinking and eating, took him back, told it was a reaction to the shots and stress, they gave him fluid, and sent me home with a tin of id, thursday he started vomiting and had diarrheam still not eating or drinking, same with friday i took him back, again he had fluids , some meds for his vomiting and diarrhea, and a new tin of food they said would make him eat, even though i kept telling them , HE WILL NOT EAT OR DRINK,all this was so far costing me $700 out of pocket as the wellness plan does not cover any of this, after a bad night friday, i took him to dove lewis in portland who told me he had parvo, took him back to banfield who then agreed it was parvo, and said it would cost $600 to $1000 to tret him for the parvo over the weekend , and he would need treatment for a further 5-7 days, i ran out of money, they refused to take a payment plan, so as he was so sick we had him Euthanized, all they were concerned about was getting what we owed paid off , they also said we had to pay $278 on the wellness plan when we cancel, my family are devestated over the death of our puppy who was the sweetest little thing, we loved him dearly, i cannot move on, i have made a request for charlies medical records i want to see what they were doing for him when we were not there, anyway thank you every one for letting me vent,

#362063

We took our 13 week old puppy in for his booster shots today and we were treated horribly. We made the decision to get his ears cropped and he is doing wonderful by the way.

We walked in and we asked the vet tech to look at his ears to make sure they were healing ok and she told us that she wasn't going to look because she didn't agree with what we did to him. Which I understand not everyone likes the cropping but that was our choice. Not hers. And isn't it her job to just look anyways?.

When the dr. Came in she went on to tell us more *** about his ears but then told us that he shouldn't have been bred and we need to contact the breeder to tell them to stop. (We have a white doberman) he is amazing and is my baby.

He has so much love in him and I love him more that anything. Who gives her the right to tell me my dog shouldn't be alive!?

LOL Spaded.

REMEMBER not every clinic is the same banfields included. Vets try their hardest.

Sorry about your loss. Hopefully the pit bull ownees found a good clinic thar loves the breed as much as you guys do.

i am sorry for your loss the puppy. go to a different vet,if i were you.

good luck in future new puppy. :)

I think they don't need to be treating pets at all....Anyone that says that they don't like a breed is a bad sign...they don't know or care how to treat a dog...they don't have compassion for animals at all...I would talk to a lawyer or check to see if you can report to them a board of veterinarians in that area that killed your puppy....That would *** me off...that they don't like that breed statement...that means they don't like dogs that much...I would report them...if enough people make claims or file reports..banfield could be put out of business...they didnt know what they were doing...if you had to go back 4 times....I am so very sorry for your loss...no one should take any pet to banfield...I sure wont...I was actually going to apply for a job to be a receptionist there..no way now...I will report any abuse or ill treatment of any animal to the authorities if I suspect anything of a business or a person...I am so against dogfighting...it is all about greed...I think all dogs are good...its the *** owners that ruin them...sorry again

#209271

I've only received wonderful care from my vet in St. louis.

I'm sorry that you went through this trouble.

But it sounds like you dog was very sick early on in its life. I think you should have recourse w/ your breeder.

Whether there was a breeding problem or not, they should not discriminated against the animal that is in need that is not what you go to them for. To blatantly show your dislike for someone’s animal is not only rude, but unprofessional, something Banfield is becoming known for.

Banfields bed side manner, advice, and knowledge is all more than lacking. There have an overwhelming amount of animals that have died from their lack of performance, over medicating, bad advice, and unnecessary procedures. Much of their performance and treatment is considered inhumane; this has even been reported by prior employees of Banfield, who have quit over the continued misconduct the company encourages.

I can't wait for a class action law suit to be stated against these butchers, I will defiantly be adding my claim for the suffering they put my cat through. :(

Banfield Pet Hospital

It’s our mission to provide our clients and their Pets with high quality medicine and exceptional client experiences on every visit. We apologize that some of your visits to our hospitals were unsatisfactory. To address your specific concerns, and to help us improve our overall service, we would appreciate it if you would call us at 1-877-500-2288 to tell us what happened.

First off, in the wellness plan agreement, they specifically TELL you that your plan automatically renews at the renewal date (look it up on the CONTRACT that YOU probably SIGNED without READING first). Secondly, not every pet does well after anesthesia.

The vet and assistants probably did what they always did when it came to your pet, and your pet was just most likely more screwed up genetically than any normal dog, so it didn't take it very well. That's bad breeding and bad choice of dogs on your part. You should have done your research on your breeder before just going out and buying some puppy that you have no information on. A puppy can also still go under anesthesia even if they are on medications.

Also, learn how to spell. It's SPAYED.

Not SPADED. Think about it, you ***.

I am a responsible owner of a very lovable well behaved 5 yr. old red nose pitbull .

She is calm loving and has always been a joy to us and our kids. We have taken her to banfield a few times , The most recent was for an ear infection . We were treated very awful by the staff , They made it quite clear they werent fans of the breed and acted as though our dog didnt deserve or need the same treatment as any other breed!! We were charged extra for her peeing on the table, as though dogs dont have anxiety and get upset as well.

They drained her ear and returned her to us with her face covered with blood and her ear still dripping blood , at which time we made it a point to clean up our dog ourselves as she is part of our family and we expected this hospital would treat her as such !!We will never return to this vet and question their qualifications and compassion as animal lovers and caregivers.

They totally discriminated agnaist our dog and didnt give her proper care because of her breed , That is unexceptable! Do not take your animals here if you want them to be treated right !especially if you own a pitbull they are not educated on the breed at all and ASSume the worst , any GOOD pitbull owner knows how loving and loyal and safe the breed is , maybe the staff needs more training as well .

Not everything is on the Vet's end, you know. It's also our part to seek out healthily and legally bred animals.

Sometimes the $200 puppy vs. the $20 isn't such a great deal.

Stop getting unhealthy animals, and stop unhealthy breeding.

personally you guys should think about what you are saying and turn the tables around. Vets are not super heroes with super powers they can't save every pet.

I took my dog to a vet in shawnee and they told me he had a bacterial infection. they gave him a pain medication injection and sent me home with Baytril and amoxicillin. After suffering in pain all night he passed away at 8:34 am. Yes I am sad that he died but I do not blame the vet.

I understand that they can't save all of them and it would be great if they could but this isn't perfectville. So think about that before you start blaming them