Decatur, Georgia

What has happened to the world?

On Sunday 9/23 I took my 17 year old Lab Meg to be put down due to her system shutting down over 48 hours begining late on Friday and Saturday.

Banfield was the only Vet open in town open on Sunday. I used Banfield the year prior to put down her older sister. (Not my regular Vet office thank goodness!!) After talking with the receptionist and then waiting for 20 mintues, I was told that I had to make an appointment to get this done with no customers or animals to be seen in the Vet office. I asked if I could bring her in a little later in the day.

My response from the actual Indian Doctor on staff for the day, "No, we do not have the time". They did not have time to give her shot to put her down or just did not want to deal with it? Sadly, the poor dog and my family had to go through another day of watching her basically die while being in a huge amount of pain.

Thanks Banfield for the great customer service and caring of sick animals!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service.

Comments

Although it may not have been handled in the most sensitive of ways there could be a very sensible reason behind this.

If a Vet has never seen a pet before & unless there is an obviously terminal condition they CANNOT CANNOT 'just give a shot' to euthanize - that leaves them open for lawsuits of medical malpractice. Because of all the legal ramifications from people being sue-happy even Vets have to be super cautious & go through the medical history/do full physical exams on all new pets, which does take a significant amount of time.

Given that by your own admission this is the only hospital open in the area on a Sunday they are very likely to have also had a lot of other people who's regular vets are shut calling in for appointments, meaning that they would be very busy & may genuinely not have had the time to give you & your pet the time needed for such a serious decision/exam. I do think however that if they were busy that they should have referred you to an Emergency clinic so she didn't have to wait (there are normally lots of these in most built-up areas where Banfield hospitals tend to be)

@Petcarer

I am sure it brings comfort to the owner to watch her dog die in horrible pain. Banfield's vet did not want to be inconvenienced, because they only care about money.

Why not for one second think how that owner felt to watch their dog die a slow and agonizing death, because it was ti much of a bother. It is also bs that people sue vets, because you cannot sue for emotional loss, and only for the value of the animal or procedure. Is that really worth anyone's time? Most people just want to move on.

You are just a ***, and obviously work for Banfield and drink the Banfield coolade. More and more people are realizing what this company is about and eventually, you will be shut down!

1. The dog which was about 60 pounds had to be carried in by me because she could not walk correctly any longer.

2. I regular Vet whom is fantastic!!! (Lake Acworth Animal Hospital) Saw Meg first thing Monday morning "without an appointment" and had the 10 minutes of time to put her out of her misery!!!

The Vet on duty was to lazy to give the shot and the staff did not care if they had any business or not due to it being a Sunday. Stay away from Banfield...............

vet may not have supported the owner's decision for putting the pet to sleep, that is why he did not do it.... it is likely so because how could the vet put a pet to sleep if it has just shown up on a Sunday and the vet never saw or treated the pet before but on seeing the pet first time seemed the pet to be apparently healthy..

Banfield Pet Hospital

Hi Williambrozowski - As we mentioned in your previous review, we are so sorry about Meg's suffering; and we empathize with you during this difficult time. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. After reading your feedback, we would like to speak with you directly to gather more information. If you are willing, could you please call our Client Advocate Team, toll-free, at 877-500-2288 or email cat(at)banfield(dot)com? Again, we are so sorry that your family went through this stressful situation.

Take care,