Hollywood, Florida

I went to Banfield to buy my usual yearly flea/tick treatment for my pets.

I noticied that the Frontline and Advantage were being sold in front of Petsmart so I inquired of Banfield if the OTC medicine was the same as they sold as a veterinary item. They stated it was not. They had the prescription strength remedy and Petsmart did not.

I bought the First Shield and within a week my pets were itching and had fleas. Advantage has always done the trick within a few days and lasted a long time. Banfield did not stand behind the product and insinuated that it was my fault it did not work because we didn't the carpet. We never have had too before. We did treat the outside perimeter of the house.

I will not be using Banfield again and I am going to attempt a refund from the manufacturer. What happened to companies who stand behind what they recommend and sell?

Comments

This medicine does not work and I did apply it properly. I also had sentinal come out and do my home and lawn.

We walk our dog and notice that when we come home he still has them on him. When called I was told no refunds and denied trying another preventative. They said in order to give another medication my pet would need to be seen.

This is a joke. Would not reccommend this to anyone.

Ha.. Michelle, while you are trying to make yourself sound “informed” you are mistaken!

It's not always in benefit for the customers, but usually benefit for the company. Banfield sells only one product now “First ***” and that’s because they made a deal with the company to exclusively sale their product in return for receiving it at an extremely low cost. The product is *** and is harmful to animals causing severe allergic reaction creating burning, skin irritation, and even chemical burn.

I have a friend who lives alone with an immaculate home and purchased the product for prevention. She has used Frontline until purchasing this *** this year and “what do know” her cat experienced her flea ever.

If Banfield refunded all of those who were unsatisfied with this product they would lose their ***!

I think it is undeniable that if a veterinary company like Banfield decides to switch to a different brand of something, there is a good reason behind this decision. If this product "didn't work," it was most likely due to "user error." Or quite simply, a failure to use common sense.

Obviously, if you do not treat the pet's environment where 90%+ of the flea population actually are (this includes the yard AND house, and no it does not matter how often you clean your house), you are more likely to have your pet reinfested by fleas even after treatment with ANY topical flea product. Flea problems seem to get harder and harder to get rid of each summer, which indicates that, like some bacteria, they are becoming more resistant to medicines meant to rid them. So, while it may have worked one year to simply treat the pet, the next year you may need to treat your pet AND house. And really, the pet is worth it!

Also, most consumer's fail to read the instructions that come with products. You are not supposed to bathe an animal after application of topical flea medicines, and if you choose to do so, you must wait at least 48 hrs, AND use a non-detergent or non-stripping shampoo. You would think this would be obvious, but I worked at a vet for several years and was shocked at how many people would purchase topical flea medicine, apply it to their pet, bathe their pet (because they did not read the instructions that came with the medicine) and then turn around and complain to us about the flea medicine's effectiveness right afterwards!

A consumer's failure to cover all their bases is NOT Banfield's, or any company's fault, but rather something the consumer should learn from. Read the instructions that come with products, especially of the medicinal nature and keep yourself informed! :]

Quote from Banfield "Please gives us a call if you have any questions or if we can help"

Thats a very fresh statement, I must put emphasis on "if we can help" what they are saying is, kindly go away !!!

We're sorry to hear that your Pet had an adverse reaction to the product. Banfield chose to recommend the FirstShieldâ„¢ line of products as our preferred preventive because of qualities such as a faster ability to kill fleas without needing them to *** the Pet.

It also protects against a broader spectrum of parasites. There are several different types of flea preventives available on the market, and each one works in a slightly different manner. We feel that the decision on which flea or tick prevention is used should be a collaboration between you and your veterinarian, in order to help select the most appropriate product. As with many products applied to a Pet’s skin, there is the potential for your dog to experience irritation during or after the application, although this and other reactions are not very common.

If you feel that your Pet is experiencing irritation or a reaction to the product, you should contact your doctor as soon as possible. Please gives us a call if you have any questions or if we can help.