About a month ago, I took my dog to Banfield because he was drinking and urinating constantly.

The VT stated that it seems like a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection), so they performed a UA. Which cost about $140. The vet came in the room and stated that she saw a little bacteria in his urine which is a good sign that it is a UTI. So she prescribed him some antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds for 1 week. Why the anti-inflammatory, I dont know. I asked her about it and she said that it would help with his anxiety. So then came the bill. The bill was almost $230 with the UA and the meds. (I am such a sucker). We then scheduled a 2 week follow up, which I had to reschedule due to other bills.

So about 4 weeks has gone by since the last visit and there has been no improvement at all. I take him back to Banfield, where the doctor then wants to do a $175 blood work. After the blood test was done, she stated that the blood showed a high white cell count which indicates an infection. I asked about his glucose levels and she said that they were within normal levels. She then suggested that they perform a urine culture to determine what kind of bacteria it is so they could treat it properly, because she may not have given him a high enough does the first time. "How much is the culture?", I ask. She states $145, but then discloses that the UA they took for the blood test is enough, so they wont have to pull more urine. I look at the screen and there it is, the blood test also includes the UA. I then asked why the blood test w/UA cost $175 and the UA alone that I payed for the first visit cost $145? The vet replied "Because they are cheaper when they are bundled like that." I then ask why that option was not provided during my first visit and she replied "I don't know". I asked for a credit and was told that they cant give me one because of the cost of the equipment and tests. I was so furious, but given that I do have some medical background and want my little buddy fixed, I went ahead with the urine culture. I should get the results back later this week. That culture better look like rotten cheese.

To me, it looks like Banfield is in it 100% for the money and not for the benefit of their patients. From what I can tell, they hire their vets straight our of school with little to no experience and put them in charge. SO far, I am very disappointed and at this point will gladly deter anyone from going to Banfield.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Vaccination.

Comments

#782041

They didn't sell you a wellness plan? Incompetent!