Aurora, Colorado

I have had Banfield care for my animals (three cats) for 2 years. I had them all on wellness plans and paid my monthly fees on time.

I moved to Denver when I got out of the Navy and was not happy with the Banfields here. I called to cancel my wellness plans and the lady at the hospital said it was no problem and they were canceled. 4 months later I am getting calls from a collection agency saying I owe Banfield nearly 600 dollars! I am supposedly liable for the rest of the plan even when not using the services!

I can't even USE them for vaccinations even though I am now paying off the plans!!!!! Horrible customer service at the call center! No attempt to help a long time customer at all!!! The vets here treat animals like a car to be worked on and then shoved out the door!!

DO NOT use Banfield!!

Use a vet who actually cares!!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Wellness Plan.

Comments

yeah, they're no good, horribly expensive. some decent folks working there, but a lot of times i think they took advantage of my caring for my dog. i've spent thousands of dollars there and he's had no "real" problems, just potential ones that they tested and tested again but never seemed to accomplish anything, except make me go broke, practically.

I agree that it is the consumers responsibility to read a contract, however the vets at banfield are all fresh out of school and have little experience. I had to get second opinions from other vets a dozen times due to banfields "sell you as much as possible technique" , and everytime the second opinion saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars!!!!

total rip off!!!!! exp. my 1 yr old rottie was limping on her front leg for a about 5 days before i took her to the vet. After being in the examination room for 10 minutes the vet told me it would cost 2400 dollars to do surgery forn a torn acl...

after simply touching and moving her leg around???

i then brought her to a vet up the road and they told me it was a minor sprain. Two days later she was fine, PERFECT EXAMPLE OF HOW THEY TRY AND RIP PEOPLE OFF!!!!

If you're reading all these negative posts about different Banfields from all over the US, how can you still think it's a good idea to go to Banfield???? It would be at your great expense & high risk.

Find a local vet in your area --- which is what I'll be doing now - after 7 yrs at Banfield in Oxnard, CA. Total thieves!!!

If you're reading all these negative posts about different Banfields from all over the US, how can you still think it's a good idea to go to Banfielda???? It would be at your great expense & high risk.

all 4 of my pets are on OWPs and if you read your wellness plan contract carefully it does say that if you cancel you either a)pay for the services you recieved in full b) keep paying your monthly installments DUUUUUUUUR

I have worked in medical billing for a long time. What happens when you go to the emergency room for care because you have no insurance and instead of paying for everything out of pocket they put you on a payment plan? You would owe them the money, right? Say you did that every year, and instead of paying them every year you just continued to pay payments. You used the services that you're paying for sometime during that year. Wouldn't you owe that?

I think you are assuming this is insurance. It's almost impossible to find animal insurance without paying up front first and then getting reimbursed. I've looked at Banfield's contract and they look legit on a medical service standpoint. It's pretty simple. You pay for the package each year either at the beginning or in 12 month installments. You are signing up to pay that, period, and have access to the services any time over the next 12 months. If you cancel, you owe it. It's nice of them to reduce the cost to cancel down to retail cost of what they do if it is lower. Most "wellness plans" at spas and such for humans won't even do that.

I will admit, I wouldn't do much at Banfield because they itemize their invoices, which puts higher cost into services. But if all I'm doing is shots and physical exams, refusing everything else not on the plan, I'm coming out pretty good. Don't complain if you don't read your contract. They can't expect to walk you hand in hand through a flower garden of terms and conditions, friend.

Interesting your end comment was about being a "long time" customer, to them treating your pet like a car to be worked on? You are apparently scorned, as why would you be long term if you didn't like they way they treated you?

It clearly states in your contract that if you wish to cancel you will have to pay the full service fee you would of ended up paying had you not signed up. Sorry you didn't "like" the banfield close to your new location, but they are available to continue your contract, so banfield isn't failing on their part.