Baton Rouge, Louisiana

I took our dog Earl to Banfield in Oct. 2013 for weight loss and excessive drinking and peeing.

We knew he probably had Diabetes and thought we would have a vet who would help us. We had recently taken both dogs to Banfield in Baton Rouge secondary to ease of appointment making. (This should have been my first clue as to how bad they are) They put him on regular insulin twice a day and had us bring him back a week later. I thought this was odd secondary to his blood sugar being over 500.

I'm a RN and we would not treat humans this way, but I thought I was receiving adequate care and afterall; dogs are different. To make this long/painful story shorter, after our 3rd weekly vist (each charged at $67) we went up on his inslin 2 units and his sugar was still over 500 at each visit. I consulted with a friend at the LSU vet school and was told to immediately bring him to LSU. He is doing better now, no thanks to Banfield.

The lessons I learned here are: 1) don't trust corporate clinics, they are concerned about having you return as much as possible to make money off of you. 2) Trust your instincts; If it doesn't sound right get more details. 3) Use the intrernet for research. Had I found this site earlier I would have never done this to Earl.

By the way we never saw the same vet, always the vet de jour.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service.

• Vet srevices

Comments

MikeBrady

You don't say what Banfield did wrong.

LTCC

excessive drinking and peeing......I think i need to be checked out....na....its just the booze....i'll be fine