Washington, District Of Columbia
1.2K views

Banfield Pet Hospital treating our new English Bulldog. We were on check up and vaccination updates.

Told they were giving Bordetella vaccination. 2hrs later returned and they were hooking her up to an IV of Benadryl, along with an oxygen mask. Next day, head swelling finally went down. Now have a bout of "cherry eye", not sure if brought on by the vaccination, or just happened to surface at the same time with these issues.

Really upset that Bordetella is NOT a required vaccination - along with the fact that NO WARNING about possible SIDE-EFFECTS. We never kennel our pet.

Comments

The BEST advise on this thread that I will give to you is to NEVER take your English Bulldog to Banfield. They let our English Bulldog die.

They let him aspirate in a kennel full well knowing he was having stressed breathing, while the vet worked on another dog. He dropped in that kennel and the did CPR. They did not intubate him, they did not try to calm him down. They did NOTHING.

They are in the business for the money and the amount of animals they can move in day. They did not take care of our dog and he died from their negligence. Find a REAL English bulldog vet that knows how to care for English Bulldogs.

RUN from Banfield. Save your pet.

Intranasal Bodatella killed my bulldog. Similar situation as previous comment except my pup was not as fortunate.

After 18 hours of oxygen and counter measures (including a tube in his throat as he couldn't breath) my best friend never recovered. I'm devistated. He apparently had an allergic reaction to the dose of bordatella (given intranasal which I don't understand). He developed anaphylactic shock.

Again, there should be a warning advising pet owners of the dangers of these vaccines.

As a Veterinarian who routinely administers intranasal Bordetella vaccines I have to say that in 7 years of practice (so literally thousands of vaccinations)I have never yet had a pet react to this vaccine. Serious vaccine reactions are on the whole VERY VERY rare, but they do tend to get lots of publicity/bad press.

DO NOT let that 'scare' you away from vaccinating your pets.

While not considered to be a mandatory vaccine (unless you board the pet, in which case almost no kennel will accept a dog without this vaccine being done) it is EXTREMELY important in prevention of outbreaks because this is such a contagious disease & can/has killed unvaccinated pets if it progresses into a pneumonia. Unfortunately there is just no crystal ball to tell us vets if a pet might be a reactor or not ahead of time unless we know that they have had a reaction previously.

I do think however that brachycephalic breeds (short nosed breeds such as a Bulldog, Pug etc) should have the injectable version of the vaccine, not the intranasal version.

I have two English Bulldog puppies that received the nasal form of the Bordatella Vaccine. NEVER again.

Both puppies got very sick with pneumonia. The one puppy nearly died and ended up in the ICU for 5 days on oxygen and IV's. From what I am reading, dogs with short noses should NOT receive the nasal vaccine.

I am so sorry I didn't read the Bulldog forums before I allowed my precious puppies to receive such a nasty vaccine. I have also read that even with the vaccine, dogs can still get Bordatella.

To David, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about so please don't offer advice to pet owners. Bordetella vaccine protects against both viral and bacterial pathogens which cause kennel cough.

Kennel cough absolutely does need to be medically treated. Dogs are not people.

Bordetella is like the common cold in humans, there is no vaccination for humans so why should we think there is one for dogs. This is just a ploy by the pharmaceutical companies to get your money.

My yorkie has had the injectible vaccination in the past and last month the vet decided to give it to her intranasally. She developed a severe cough 3 days later and the vet just kept prescribing antibiotics and steroids, telling us she was fine. We finally had enough and on day 10 we took her to a specialist who immediately placed her in an oxygen tank for 48 hours and ran test and x-rays. The specialist told us she developed pneumonia, and her trachea collapsed to the point of no return, size of a coffee stirer.

She was struggling so much to breathe and was unable to sleep because she had to focus on her breathing which should be an involuntary action.

We took her home for a few hours to say goodbye and then took her back to the specialist to say our final goodbye. She was only 11 years old and we miss her terribly.

Bordetella is not required by any means. But if u take ur pet to the dog parks, to the pet stores, or even out for walks, your pet should definetly have it.

Kennel cough is not easy or quick to treat and is very contagious.

The reaction that your pet had, was strictly an allergic reaction. Although scary, there was no way to predict that this would happen Hope your baby is doing better.

We're sorry to hear that your pet had a reaction to a vaccine. It is important to understand that vaccine reactions are due to an individual's sensitivity to the vaccine, not because the vaccination is bad or administered improperly.

As an example, think of bee stings in people. While most people find stings unpleasant, they are not dangerous. For sensitive people, a bee sting can be life-threatening. Although relatively rare, vaccination reactions can occur, and the most common being similar to those in people-soreness at the injection site, mild lethargy and just not feeling quite up to par.

These types of reactions usually resolve themselves within 24 hours. Another type of reaction can cause hives and swelling of the face, most noticeable around the eyes, which may appear almost shut. It usually occurs a few to several hours after being vaccinated. These dogs are usually panting and agitated, because they are very itchy and uncomfortable.

The biggest concern for pet owners is that the dog may be having trouble breathing. This is rarely the case but a logical conclusion because of the swelling, panting and general agitation. These reactions are relatively easy to treat, respond well and resolve fairly quickly.

To address any other concerns regarding the care your pet received please call our Client Advocate Team at 877-500-2288. We strive to provide our clients and their pets with high quality medicine and exceptional client experiences on every visit.

Umm.. Boredetella is one of the most common vaccines you should get your pet vaccinated for.

I love when people don't think vaccines are "required"...

it's always better to be safe. Vaccine reactions can happen, it's unfortunate, but now you know, so in the future you can give benadryl before vaccinating to prevent any reactions.