I have been taking my 2 cats to Banfield Pet Hospital (the Virginia Center Commons location) since they were only a couple of weeks old. I have had the pet protection plan for both animals since that time. I stopped taking them there when they were about 6-7 months old after a another serious incident occurred.
The first significant incident was when the cats were brought in for vaccinations when they were about 2 months old. After I brought them home, they would vomit up any food they attempted to eat. Of course I had never seen this before and have not seen it since. After about 3 days of this, I called back and the pets were brought back in for observation. Banfield had them for a day and claimed they were able to feed them some prescription food. I then purchased some of this special and expensive food and began to spoon-feed the cats, as they now pretty much refused to eat at all. They were still unable to hold any food down. This lasted approximately 3 more days (6 total), and at this point the cats had lost much of their body weight and I was fairly certain they were going to die. I was talking to Banfield twice a day at this point, and they gave me a prescription for some extremely expensive medicine that eventually caused a complete turn-around and the cats were able to eat again, and the issues stopped. I was suspicious of Banfield at this point, but continued taking my animals there for some reason.
The second significant incident was when I took them in to be de-clawed. Obviously, my cats are strictly indoor cats. First, they mis-represented the services as being a full de-claw when it was only the front paws. I now understand the "inhumane for all 4 paws" argument, but this was not explained to me at the time. Also, although they considered it "inhumane" to remove all of the claws they apparently had no reservations about clipping the rear claws anyhow - which of course defeats the defensive "humane" argument. Second, the cost was misrepresented as for both cats when it was really for each cat, so the services were double what I expected and I only got half of what I expected. This was not explained to me until they handed me the huge bill. This alone may not be enough to write this negative review, but helps illustrate a trend of several problems. Second and most significantly, they disfigured one of my cat's face during the process somehow. This must have occurred while the cats were sedated and was likely caused by the tube placed down their throat during the sedation. One cat now has a large tooth that is bent outwards and drives into his upper lip. It essentially now sticks out of his face. I did not notice this right away due to the cat carriers and the huge post-surgery cones on their necks. When I brought the cats back, the doctor explained it to me as such: "We are not sure what would cause his tooth to grow outwards like that. Here is a doctor I know that you can pay #a few thousand dollars# to fix the problem." Thoughts of violence swarmed through my head at this point. They denied any responsibility. At some point when I save up enough money I will have the tooth fixed or extracted but I cannot afford it so for now he sits around all day with his tooth jammed into his upper lip and sticking out of his mouth. He looks terrible. I think everyone should know about my experience with this Banfield location. I now take my cats elsewhere, of course, and I remain very bitter about the quality of the services there.take my cats elsewhere.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Vet Service
- Review category
- Pet Medicine and Veterinary Clinics
You May Also Like
- "Part of the Puppy Wellness Plan we purchased for lab puppy included FirstShield Trio flea/tick and mosquito prevention treatment. The first time I used it on him he was lethargic and..."
- "I took my 18 week old Siberian Husky to Banfield to be chipped, and he came out with PARVO. He died 9 days later. They admitted he could have contacted..."
- "Banfield gives unneccessary vaccinations which are at odds with the feline vaccine protocols. I had an indoor cat that they every year gave the FeLV vaccine to. Per established..."
- "I travel a lot for business, I am away from home non stop, always on flights and in hotels. I use Priceline, and Orbitz quite often. A friend referred me..."
- "If April Arguin or Nikki Levin suggest that you paypal them directly to avoid fees, DON'T DO IT. Make sure it is marked for Goods and Services. That is definitely..."
- "I am beyond disbelief!! My hair looks like a child did it! Went to Hair Cuttery in Charloressville near Target and walked out with yellow hair with orange stripes! Go..."
- "On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 3:35PM, I went to KFC on Patton Avenue in Asheville, North Carolina to get the usual Liver dinner. I completed the mykfcexperience.com survey on..."
- "Soy consumidor de tecnología , y los productos son como en la descripción de la página web se indica. Llegan los productos en un paquete bien protegidos, y los..."
- "Around Sept 30, 2015, I started Roca Labs. The picture on the right was April 22, 2015, the one on the left was March 16, 2016. The regimen was the..."