Banfield Pet Hospital - Disfigured My Pet's Face, Some Kind of Reaction To Medicine?
I have been taking my 2 cats to Banfield Pet Hospital (the Virginia Center Commons location) since they were only a couple of weeks old. I have had the pet protection plan for both animals since that time. I stopped taking them there when they were about 6-7 months old after a another serious incident occurred.
The first significant incident was when the cats were brought in for vaccinations when they were about 2 months old. After I brought them home, they would vomit up any food they attempted to eat. Of course I had never seen this before and have not seen it since. After about 3 days of this, I called back and the pets were brought back in for observation. Banfield had them for a day and claimed they were able to feed them some prescription food. I then purchased some of this special and expensive food and began to spoon-feed the cats, as they now pretty much refused to eat at all. They were still unable to hold any food down. This lasted approximately 3 more days (6 total), and at this point the cats had lost much of their body weight and I was fairly certain they were going to die. I was talking to Banfield twice a day at this point, and they gave me a prescription for some extremely expensive medicine that eventually caused a complete turn-around and the cats were able to eat again, and the issues stopped. I was suspicious of Banfield at this point, but continued taking my animals there for some reason.
The second significant incident was when I took them in to be de-clawed. Obviously, my cats are strictly indoor cats. First, they mis-represented the services as being a full de-claw when it was only the front paws. I now understand the "inhumane for all 4 paws" argument, but this was not explained to me at the time. Also, although they considered it "inhumane" to remove all of the claws they apparently had no reservations about clipping the rear claws anyhow - which of course defeats the defensive "humane" argument. Second, the cost was misrepresented as for both cats when it was really for each cat, so the services were double what I expected and I only got half of what I expected. This was not explained to me until they handed me the huge bill. This alone may not be enough to write this negative review, but helps illustrate a trend of several problems. Second and most significantly, they disfigured one of my cat's face during the process somehow. This must have occurred while the cats were sedated and was likely caused by the tube placed down their throat during the sedation. One cat now has a large tooth that is bent outwards and drives into his upper lip. It essentially now sticks out of his face. I did not notice this right away due to the cat carriers and the huge post-surgery cones on their necks. When I brought the cats back, the doctor explained it to me as such: "We are not sure what would cause his tooth to grow outwards like that. Here is a doctor I know that you can pay #a few thousand dollars# to fix the problem." Thoughts of violence swarmed through my head at this point. They denied any responsibility. At some point when I save up enough money I will have the tooth fixed or extracted but I cannot afford it so for now he sits around all day with his tooth jammed into his upper lip and sticking out of his mouth. He looks terrible. I think everyone should know about my experience with this Banfield location. I now take my cats elsewhere, of course, and I remain very bitter about the quality of the services there.take my cats elsewhere.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Vet Service
- Review category
- Pet Medicine and Veterinary Clinics
Currently PissedConsumer.com is operating in read-only mode, users cannot make any changes to the information, publish comments or reviews.
You May Also Like
- "I just got a 12 week old Merle American Cocker Spaniel puppy a few weeks ago.I heard about the wellness program at Banfield Pet Hospital in Petsmart so I took..."
- "Banfield sedated my dog to turn her upside down and shake her to remove fluid from her lungs, it stopped her heart. I don't have proof her heart stopped, but..."
- "After I took my dog to banfield midtown Miami to get neutered his sack got swollen to the size of a baseball I went back to the vet they gave..."
- "Bosch Washing Machine under Sears Maintenance Agreement - washer is likely 10 years old, the main bearing went out just after Thanksgiving (November) 2016 - unable to use washer until..."
- "I had the same experience as others: Signed up for a free trial, sent one fax and then noticed my account had been charged a fee for membership the next..."
- "Zazzle - you can take the order, promise the due date of the order BUT - you don't do what you say you will do and to make matters worse..."
- "Elvis was seen on 9/22 for a urinary blockage, Dr. Singh informed us Elvis would die if we didnâ€™t have the blockage removed and refused to put him to sleep..."
- "Ford F350 Truck was junk. Promised by Kyle it was in perfect condition, no issues. Full of rust, engine leaking oil everywhere. Fuel leak on top of engine...."
- "The bed we purchased was one the King Koil â€œthermal/visco-elastic foamâ€ Night Rain-Natural Response type beds on 1/25/03. I have to admit, a foam bed was not on my..."