State: District Of Columbia City: Washington Clear all filters (47 of 1685 reviews match)
filters
State:
City:
Product:
Show
My pet recently passed away, upon trying to cancel my re-occurring charge I was told that I would have to continue to pay until May 2017. Upon calling in I was told that I had to continue to pay until the services that I had used under their plan were paid off. They...

I also want to add, each location is different.

However, when I did work there I explained the contract in full to every single person.

I explained that it is not insurance, that if you cancel before the year is up for whatever reason, you either pay the remainder of the months you owe or the services you've already used.

I think the problem is, alot of people aren't explaining the contract thoroughly which they should be.

Because I explained everything, we really never had a complaint when someone needed to cancel. & the one complaint I do remember, is someone who flat out said that it was never explained to her, which I know for a FACT it was since I was the person who signed her up and I notated every conversation in the records.

I also highlighted it on the contract they signed when I gave it to them

Banfield has their share of problems. However, I do agree with the contract. The reason for the contract is because they'd have ppl sign up for a plan, use a bunch of services in the first month or two, only pay 2mo of payments.

For example Say you are on a puppy plan. That's $42/mo. You use 4 office visits, all vaccines & boosters, the spay/neuter, 3 deworming and a fecal exam in the first 4mo. Then want to cancel.

So you've used 4 office visits ($50 each visit), multiple vaccines ($20- $35 PER vaccine, 2 fecal exams $45 a piece, 3 deworming $20 each one, spay/neuter $300- $400. You've paid 4mo of payments $166 But have used over $600 worth of services, which is more than the entire year plan itself. So that's why they have the contract. Because they deserve to be paid for services that they have performed.

As I said, while Banfield does have its problems but the wellness plans do save a ton of money.

The staff members at each location though do need to go over the plan more thoroughly and make sure people understand that it's not insurance Hope you get everything figured out! & again, I'm sincerely sorry for your loss

Banfield Pet Hospital Wellness Plan
Pros
  • Onsite employees
  • Hospital staff
Cons
  • Heartless way i was dealt with when my dog passed away
  • False advertising of services offered
  • Very displeased
Reason of review
Poor customer service
Preferred solution
Stay away from Banfield!! They caused my cat Calvin to suffer and die sooner than he should of due to their complete misdiagnosis of him. The fluids I was prescribed to give him at home only made his condition worse and now I have to forever live with the fact that I...
Tags
  • Suffering
  • cat care
We adopted a white Pomeranian mixed breed on September 1, 2012. On September 7, 2012, we took Daisy to Banfield in Petsmart for a once-over to assess her overall health and thorough check-up. Daisy was scratching her midsection quite a bit. Without performing a...
Banfield Pet Hospital

Hi 4DaisyTricks - I hope Daisy is feeling much better! I'm sorry about your experience at our Largo location. I understand your frustration and am sorry you and Daisy went through such a stressful situation.

After reading your feedback, we would like to speak with you directly to gather more information. We truly appreciate your honest opinion about your experience with us. Could you please call our Client Advocate Team, toll-free, at 877-500-2288 or email cat(at)banfield(dot)com so we can help improve your experience? We look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Most sincerely,

Lisa

Banfield Online Community Manager

Loss

Banfield Pet Hospital in Washington, District Of Columbia - Banfield in Largo MD- wants the Dollar over Dog

I wish I read these reviews earlier. I will tell EVERYONE who has a pet this- and I am forwarding a description of my experience to EVERY pet owner I know. I moved to Maryland from another state and was looking for a vet for my 2 doxies. Banfield was quick to offer me the Wellness program and charge my credit card, but when my male dog had a paw infection a week later they were TOO BUSY to see him. I called for days for an apointment and finally drove to Virginia when the poor dog started limping. Shame on you Banfield!! They wouldn't even let me speak to a vet!! My girl dog is there now for a teeth cleaning and every time they call me back they are adding another charge to her teeth cleaning bill! $45 for a different anesthesia, $200 to get a biopsy of a lump. I thought this pet insurance was for the care of my pet!!! I can't wait to cancel next year!! STAY AWAY from Banfield. Just pay for services that your dog needs and find a vet that's more concerned about the welfare of your pet than making a dollar!!!

I personally work for a Banfield in Florida. But let me tell you this they may have had booked appointments but we always accept walk-ins no matter what you probably just did not want to wait to be seen.

And dont get mad because the Doctor was to busy to speak with you on the phone we do serve other animals and clients its not just all about you we usually will take a message and when the doctor is not running in and out of appointments or performing surgery he or she will call you back sure it may not be five minutes later but our doctors always will call you back to anwser any questions or concerns. And yes other things do come up while your pet is with us that the doctor recommends you do have the choice to say NO. The reason to add another "Anesthesia" is actually a medication called glyco its just in case during her dental cleaning her heart rate starts to drop we can administer this medication to even it out its not always needed but we put it on the treatment plan just in case. And as far as the lump goes the vet can send it out to the lab to see exactly what it is and weither its cancerous or not again you have the option to say NO!

The wellness plan does not cover everything for your pet it is PREVENTIVE CARE it covers things such as vaccines, heartworm test, blood work and etc. We are not there to take all of your money we are there to give your pet the best care we can the doctor doesnt just randomly pick things out to charge they recommend different things but its for a reason so when your pets lump starts growing and growing and turns into cancer you can say wow that doctor was right two years ago to get it checked out!!!

Banfield Pet Hospital

Xena777xena, based on the details in your post, we believe that you are already in contact with our Client Advocate Team, and we will work on getting a response to you as soon as possible.

mistersunshine

See, this is what I'm talking about. Obviously, this pet owner does not understand that the wellness plan is a way to FINANCE PREVENTATIVE CARE.

It is not insurance, nor does it guarantee the right to an immediate appointment. So many people think the plan is insurance, but it only covers basic preventative care. Everything else is on the customer. Yes, you should read an understand a contract before you sign it, but shouldn't the company (Banfield) do a better job explaining the contract to the client?

Why is it that so many people erroneously think that the wellness plan is insurance?

People seem to have a hard time getting an appointment. What they have to understand is that some veterinary hospitals are a bit like human hospitals in the way that you cannot always make an immediate appointment. I can't call my doctor and demand to be seen in the next week - it takes WEEKS to get an appointment. It's the same way with Banfield.

They are ok for basic preventative care, but a lot of the locations are really inflexible about squeezing in urgent cases (which there are logical reasons for, but also negative consequences). Also, I think a lot of clients are too demanding. We used to get clients who would yell at us that their dog was sick, but they could only come in after 5:30. Well, seeing as we close at 7, that doesn't give us a lot of time to see your pet.

Those evening appointments are often the most booked in advance. People need to be more flexible. If your pet is sick, it's your responsibility to find the time to take him/her to the vet (not saying that this is not what Xena did, I just happen to see this a lot). We can't cancel other people's appointments just because you only have a one hour window that you can come in.

If your pet is throwing up blood and we only have a 2pm appointment available - TAKE IT (or go to the emergency room). Don't wait days to treat the problem because you refuse to alter your schedule.

I know, it's hard to *** work, but that's not Banfield's fault.

Wow...I got off topic on a rant. Sorry!

@mistersunshine

Thus the best examples of Banfield employees.... The two asswipes who answered this complaint.

No compassion, no concern, it is all about them, and they do nothing wrong! Souless, money grubbing *** is what the lot of you are!

View more comments (3)

Update by user Jun 21, 2012

So after completing a review for this place shamefully referred to as a veterinarian clinic, I was promptly contacted by their \"customer advocacy\" department to \"obtain additional information and resolve any issues\". My first thought was, \"Wow, this is obviously a...

MamaToOKE924

Wow, "Vet Tech"...You are quite obviously the one who requires some anger management, seeing as how you are so absurdly offended by a consumer's right to post feedback on poor quality service that you would use obscenities and run-on sentences. HA!

For your information, there were no other patients. For your information, your comments only embark on a PIECE of our complaint regarding the services at this Banfield. And quite notably I must point out that you are located in Tampa, FL, over a thousand miles away from this particular location.

So I beg the question: What would you know? Obviously nothing but personal frustration…Next time you would like to defend a consumer complaint, maybe you should cover all aspects of that complaint.

Review
#319724 Review #319724 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service
I took my pom to Banfield in Largo, Maryland for her vaccines only to come home months later to find pups in her crate. Unfortunately, she was not neutered because she was NEVER around any other dogs. When I called Banfield afterwards, they thought it was funny. ...
Banfield Pet Hospital

Thank you for your feedback and for bringing this to our attention. We apologize that your visit to one of our hospitals has left you feeling this way, we are currently unaware of this situation and would like the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please call our Client Advocate Team at 877-500-2288, thanks you.

Loss
Banfield could improve their services. More knowledgeable vets / staff with compassion & maturity. Believe in their customers & animals, do what they say & put up signs that tell people they R being video taped. They need 2 let people B with their pets in appointments...

I have been taking my dog to banfield, under the wellness plan for five years and have nothing but praise for the entire organization. My pet has never had a flea and has been treated with compassion and concern any time I have taken her to the vet.

Banfield Pet Hospital in Washington, District Of Columbia - X-employee

Banfield expects there employee to be machines, they want you to work 12 plus hours a day with only a 1 hour brake. And to perform every thing to profection. They do not allow for any mistakes, There were times when I was sick and they knew it, yet they expected me to wok a 12 hour shift. Their vets do not care for the care of the pets, only the money that they can make. I have worked at 5 diffrent offices. The corpporate office care nothing about the pets, all they care about is money. Now of the 5 offices I worked at only 1 cared more about the pets then they did about the money. I would reccomend that you find a diffrent hospital to care for your beloved pets, I have
Banfield Pet Hospital

I am sorry you were unhappy with certain aspects of your job at Banfield. While we appreciate your feedback, we are limited in what we can do to address these concerns when submitted anonymously.

Banfield is a great practice with an exceptional support system for our hospital associates, and in order to provide the necessary support, we need feedback in a format that can be escalated appropriately. We encourage you to call the Associate Relations line at 503-922-5153.

Banfield pet hospital in Bowie - No Service

I called the hospital because my dog was terribly ill and was having blood in the stool....I was told to take my dog to the emergency room at another hospital because the doctors were at lunch and they had alot of other pets. Excuse me....I thought I paid for service like everyone else and I have been in the waiting room for 40min plus when others have come in with emergencies. I would have at least expected to have my pet seen first and diagnosed before being told to go and spend my money else where really. I pay for the wellness plan every month like others and would have just expected someone to see my pet first before assuming that she needed to be treated else where. Needless to say the plan is a waste anyway. I highly do not recommend going to any banfield hospital and wasting your money when you can get the same treatment (shots) at other pet offices for much less. When I called corporate to file a complaint and unenroll I discovered that the office had been billing for items that where not received during my pets visit. If you use banfield please be aware of what your being charged for the only way to compare is to call corporate and see what the office has billed you for. Signed, P.O. Customer

Banfield in Bowie, MD is horrible. I recently learned that most all Banfields are privately owned, as is the case in Bowie, Md.

I have a wellness plan that is a ripoff. My dog was vomiting and was lethargic and I was told to bring him in on a Sunday. When I got there the vet would not even see my dog. Then 2 days later when my dog was seen I had to pay an extra $300 dollars for blood work.

I will not be renewing with Banfield. They are horrible. They do not return phone calls, they are short staffed - there are only 2 vets, 1 vet left abruptly.

The clerical staff and office manager are very unprofessional and extremely rude. I would not recommend Banfield or their Wellness plans.

We have the 'wellness plan' for Banfield which covers unlimited visits. I called today, March 13, to make an urgent appointment for my dog to be seen.

I was told that the first appointment is in early April. When I expressed my concern that my dog needs to be seen sooner I was told to go somewhere else.

Two things here, the wellness plan is a total ripoff. The staff told me when I was considering the plan that I could walk in anytime with my pet and be taken care of at that time. This is absolutely not true.

Also, when my dog had her semiannual check up I had to leave her there for half and a day. I was not able to see/meet the vet. I now wonder if a vet actually examined my dog.

If you are considering Banfield for your pet please DO NOT take the wellness plan.

It is a SCAM. You would serve yourself and you pet better to go to a reputable 'traditional' vet.

Thank you for your feedback, we apologize if one of our hospitals has left you feeling this way. We strive to provide our clients and their pets with high quality medicine and exceptional client experiences on every visit or call. We hope our Wellness Plan Team was able to address your concerns and if you would like to add additional concerns to your case please give them a call at 866-649-2716.

View more comments (2)

VCA Animal Hospital
408 reviews
2.1
Compare
Banfield Pet Hospital treating our new English Bulldog. We were on check up and vaccination updates. Told they were giving Bordetella vaccination. 2hrs later returned and they were hooking her up to an IV of Benadryl, along with an oxygen mask. Next day, head...

The BEST advise on this thread that I will give to you is to NEVER take your English Bulldog to Banfield. They let our English Bulldog die.

They let him aspirate in a kennel full well knowing he was having stressed breathing, while the vet worked on another dog. He dropped in that kennel and the did CPR. They did not intubate him, they did not try to calm him down. They did NOTHING.

They are in the business for the money and the amount of animals they can move in day. They did not take care of our dog and he died from their negligence. Find a REAL English bulldog vet that knows how to care for English Bulldogs.

RUN from Banfield. Save your pet.