To those of you who are complaining about the Wellness plans...do you READ them before you sign them? They are very straight forward.

Don't sign a contract and then complain that you had to pay for 12 months...that is what you agreed to do! Had you READ the contract you would have understood that! You have the responsibilty to understand something BEFORE you sign it. Take some responsibilty before signing a legal agreement!

If you don't understand what you are signing then ASK or take it to a lawyer!

Would you sign any other agreement if you didn't understand it?

Review about: Banfield Pet Hospital Wellness Plan.

Comments

Twin Cities, Minnesota, United States #720550

I will give my two cents about Banfield. Banfield does have a contract that you should read, and we did, but our puppy had a broken leg, and they told us he would have to come in weekly to have it rebandaged.

That would incur an office charge AND a bandage fee we were told. We also had xrays, and the plan would save us 10% on initial xray and follow-up one. We decided that it would be a great deal with the plan since we would be coming in weekly for 8 weeks and would then only have to pay the bandaging fee and not the office visit, plus our puppy had to eventually be neutered when he was well. What we DIDN'T know about Bandfield at the time was that you NEVER get to go back with your pet when they do immunizations or anything!

We assumed we couldn't go back with him with his broken leg because of the xray, NOT that we couldn't everytime! They say this is due to liability. On the third visit there, they took our puppy to the back and gave him a non-core immunization without asking and did a fecal loop to get a stool specimen without asking. When we complained, they told us they thought the tech had told us.

He didn't need a fecal exam. He had already had it done at another vet within the last 3 weeks and it was negative. Also, I would have preferred to have been asked first and bring in a specimen rather than have the loop done on him if they really felt they needed to do it again. He has had enough trauma with the broken leg..why would you do a fecal loopand not use a specimen if the dog is coming in weekly?

Invasive! I also would have waited to do the immunization as it was a non-core immunization and he has gone through enough with the broken leg. They talk you into the plan when you are under duress, making it seem like it is a great deal. Another clinic has told me that they are charging way too much for rebandaging $41.00.

We were told it would be about $30.00 when we signed up. I should have taken him to an emergency vet instead. I will end up paying WAY more in the end. We will be done with the plan when it is up in a year.

Neutering is covered under the plan, but don't think we will go there even though we have the plan. Can't watch the work they do on your dog, do stuff without asking and do things that don't need to be done..

If your pet dies you do have the option to either pay for the services incurred or pay out the rest of the year. If you are not going to take your pet 2 x a year for check ups and dental cleaning it is not worth it.

Most people especially with multiple animal households can't afford a $350 dental cleaning and one or two $150 blood tests and expensive urinalysis and vaccines paid out lump sum the plan gives you the opportunity to provide it to you're pets.

Banfield money is not made from these plans but the add ons such as antibiotics but you'd have to pay that anyway. I would recommend the plan especially for older pets

North Shore, Auckland, New Zealand #292112

Whats even more of a problem is if you even are willing to abide by your contract and you give a puppy away to a new home you cant transfer the contract into a new name...bull *** if you ask me no one want to cancel just transfer to a new name. They wont treat the dog under the program because Im not the one who opened the contract but I pay for it...Huh???

to What The???? Lebanon, Oregon, United States #622601

If you didn't open or sign the contract it's not your responsibility to pay for it :)

I personally am very happy with the Banfield I take my pets to. I also feel that you could ask to take home the contract and look it over first and you could always hand over your pet, like I do then I step to the side and read the fine print.

I realize there are many complaints out there with Banfield, but cell phone companies do the same thing. You buy phone plan, your stuck for a year or two.

Upgrade phone, have to renew contract, even if it wasnt over yet. The problem is more that all of you dumb a**es are lazy and dont read.

Don't miss the part of the contract where if you just put your animal on a plan, your animal dies, they won't let you cancel your plan. And be very careful if your on automatic renewel, they have renewed plans on deceased animals.

to ex employee #605021

Why would you not be smart and tell them not to renew if your pet dies? of course it automatically renews, it says that in the contract but it also says call if you don't want it to renew.

All of us know that the plans are not administered through the local offices. Everyone really needs to take some responsibility here.

Westville, Oklahoma, United States #7785

Old or sick pets are not allowed to be on a wellness plan. How do u think each clinic makes their money.

Plus employees get pd extra $ for selling the wellness so it's an office full of car salesman. They have to supplement their poor pay somehow.

to Happy to be rid of them! Lebanon, Oregon, United States #622603

Banfield employees do not get paid for wellness plan sign ups they get nothing for them! No bonus no commission no extras what so ever please get your facts straight!!

Westville, Oklahoma, United States #7784

They will tell you that you can "transfer" the plan at any time and also "upgrade"...What they Don't tell you is that each time you do this, they start the contract over again for another year!

They don't have honest business practices. :sigh

to ex emp Lebanon, Oregon, United States #622604

When I upgraded was told that my year would be starting over from the day I upgraded so that's not true

to Re: ex emp #1168254

doesn't mean that info is shared by all employees. I was a customer for over 10 years and they never once told me it was a renewing contract.

when i transferred from one store to another, I was not told it would start over again. let's be honest, they do employ highly deceptive practices. but the joke is on them. once they screw a pet owner, do you think we will go back?

And of course after my pet died, yes, i got another. And no, not ever, ever, ever going back to banfield. and i still tell my story...my cat died in 2007.

seriously, how difficult would it be for them to cancel or even transfer the plan to another pet. they lose more money by *** people off.

Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand, India #4632

\"Mrtylercat: When it is 830am and their are 5-6 people in line behind you waiting to drop their pet off it\'s not like you have time to read the fine print.\"Not quite sure how it\'s someone elses fault that you decided not to read it because there were 5 or 6 people behind you in line, step to the side, read, ask questions. That has nothing to do with Banfield or it\'s quality of service.

Perhaps each of you have encountered an uneducated employee but if you READ IT, it does say it will auto-renew if you don\'t cancel, it does say it will auto-renew if you upgrade or transfer to another banfield, it does say you will be obligated to the contract in the event your pet becomes deceased. Why should banfield give you all your services for the discounted rate and sadly your pet passes let you not pay the balance? Doesn\'t make sense, does it? As far as signing up an 18 yr old pet thats sort of silly.

it\'s PREVENTITIVE HEALTH CARE, NOT INSURANCE.. all you have to do is read.

to DPN #1168259

silly to sign up an 18yr old pet. so mr judgemental, what do you know about my 18yr old pet?

absolutely NOTHING. so to prove your ignorance...my cat is diabetic, therefore, requires many office vistis for glucose curves and other check ups. The plan also covered the dental cleaning. For me, it was not silly, it was a good deal.

maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions. Until the papers were shoved in my face. I was not told I was signing a contract. I was told I was signing a medical release so his medical records could be transferred from the old Banfield hospital to the new one.

Why would I ever think I would have to sign a new contract...it is the same company. And yes, how *** of me to TRUST the people I am placing my pets life with.

There practices are quite deceptive. Yes, in a perfect world, you would read the contract, but seriously, does anyone ever read a contract?

did you read ALL of your cell phone contract? And why is it wrong for the rest of us to point out to folks that if their pet dies.....they still pay.

Frazee, Minnesota, United States #3801

I tried to cancel my plan after a year and I was told because I had an upgrade I had to keep my plan an additional year, but I was never told this when I upgraded and I never signed anything for the upgrade. My legal agreement says one year and does not mention upgrades. The customer service is terrible and when i called the home office, the first rep I talked to literally laughed and said good luck on getting my plan cancelled.

Andover, Minnesota, United States #3672

I was a client for over 7 years. I had transfered hospitals twice, the last time being in August of 2007.

I was asked to sign a paper to transfer my cat, Tyler's, medical records. I was never told I was signing a 1year contract, I was never told that you can't transfer (either time) without starting all over (with the exception of paying the initial fee). My cat died one month later, he was 18 years old and a diabetic for the last 7years. Had I been given the correct information I would have never transfered hospitals.

But they then tried to make me pay for the next 11 months. When it is 830am and their are 5-6 people in line behind you waiting to drop their pet off it's not like you have time to read the fine print. I called my credit card company to cancel the charge, but they wouldn't cancel. I was told to contact the company.

I finally beat it by reporting my credit card stolen. Banfield can send it to a credit agency, but I will never pay them. It is the principle of it all. Oh, and while dealing with Banfield, NO ONE ever said that they were sorry for my loss.

I used to send lots of people to Banfield. Now I have had several friends change vets because of this. I have also made it my mission to let everyone know what a scam it is. Why should you have to pay for a dead animal???

And the plan is NOT transferable to another pet!!! What's next once people die you have to pay for their health insurance for the duration of the contract??? Banfield lost me as a customer forever over $329.45. Do you honestly think this is a company who cares about their customers???

After having a pet for over 18 years, do you honestly think I will never have another??? Apparently they didn't care because all I got was an I'm sorry, there is nothing we can do.

Mind you, they didn't even offer to knock off a couple of months. JUST BEWARE, YOU WILL CONTINUE TO PAY WHEN YOUR PET DIES!!!

meadoman2000
to mrtylercat Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States #627129

mrtylercat I have to totally agree with you. They killed my cat and do you think that I am going to pay for that Wellness Plan. I don't think so and they will be dropping my other cat from the Wellness Plan as well because I will not take my other daughter there so they can kill her too.

Flushing, Michigan, United States #3382

I lost my dog of 14 1/2 years in November. He had liver cancer that spread like wildfire.

The staff at Banfield Fairlakes, va were amazing. The Vet, Dr Bayomi is knowledgeable and compassionate. When you sign up (and I did again 5 min ago for my new dog) they explicitly tell you that the plan is for one year and there is no cancellation fee, but they will charge everything done up to then at the regular rate and deduct all you've paid in premium that year from it. Also, do have you ever looked at your itemized hospital bill or md bill?

You get charged $2 for a tylenol + a transport fee from pharmacy= $10 per tylenol. Yes, they itemize it. My cat at private vet cost me $25 per Blood pressure reading and $5 for handling him = $30 per week for B/P. I could have done that with a newborn b/p cuff at home for free.

Does this mean they robbed me? Its not just the b/p its the interpretation that is important. Anyone know what nl B/P for a 14 year old cat is??? If your oil change is covered but your air filter is dirty too will the shop just do it without itemizing or charging for it.

Even when your car is under warranty and gets fixed, you get an invoice with how much it cost without your coverage. Again guys, this is a wellness plan and doesn't cover illness so yes you will be charged.

It is like any other HMO. Look into Kaiser Permanente if you don't believe me.

Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand, India #3077

You can go to the location you signed up and they can print you a copy, whats with having to go to the home office?

Whaleyville, Maryland, United States #2983

These agreements are shady, and big money makers. If the banfield that you go to closes you still cannot get out of the contract and may have to drive 30 miles to have your pet seen.