1840 Main Ct, Chula Vista, CA 91911

Update by user May 02

The Banfield Vet Hospital I am reviewing is in Davis, California I have yet to hear one word from the Banfield Vet Hospital in Davis, CA after I notified them that my dog died only days after being seen in their clinic where I took my dog as he had been coughing. The vet I saw did not tell me to come back for a recheck and she failed to call or have one of her staff call to check to see if my dog was any better.

She only administered antibiotics for him even though I made it very clear he was there due to having a cough. I now know there is absolutely no way she could have effectively treated a dog brought in for a cough without administering certain tests. Without these tests she was merely guessing as to what was wrong with my dog. Dogs more often than not, do not exhibit outward signs of pain or distress.

I also did not know this at the time. She gave me no warning signs to watch for.

I now know that when and if he began to pant that I should immediately take him to a vet. She also failed to ask me if he had exhibited any of the 10-15 symptoms associated with heart problems which are very common in small breeds…especially Chihuahuas (which my dog was.) She only spent about 3-4 minutes with my dog and then she left and sent me home with enough antibiotics for 21 days.

Original review posted by user May 02

I took my male Chihuahua to Banfields because he had been coughing. I now know that coughing is a red flag for a vet and that it can be a life or death situation if not handled properly.

I did not know this information when I took my dog in or I would have demanded that a more thorough examination and tests be run. The vet spent very little time with my little dog. She listened to his heart. She said she felt he must have some sort of infection and sent us home with antibiotics he was to take for 21 days.

He died a few days later. I spoke with a few vets after he passed and they said that when a client brings in a dog and says the dog has been coughing that they must run blood tests, urinalysis and x-rays in order for them to have any idea what is really wrong. Without the most basic of tests, a vet will have to 'guess' what is wrong and this could cost the pet his life. It did.

Never was I told that my dog needed blood work, a urinalysis or any type of x-ray. If I had been told this, I would have said "yes, please do whatever is necessary." I am so sorry that I took my dog to this vet hospital. I've now read so very many complaints against this business. If only I had taken the time to search for this type of info.

I let my little dog down and yes I'm heartbroken. But I feel responsible for his death.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Veterinarian.

Reason of review: inadequate veterinary services by vet.

Preferred solution: refund of $28 for office visit + payment for the death of my pet-772= $800.

Banfield Pet Hospital Cons: Sub par veterinarians, Very poor bedside manner, Did not do basic tests needed to properly diagnose illness.

• Sub Par Vets