Thorndale, Pennsylvania

I put First Shield Trio on my 13-year-old Standard Poodle for the first time last night, and this morning (about 12 hours later) she started acting EXTREMELY distraught.I did not know what was wrong with her, other than the fact that I thought she was afraid because it looked as if it was going to storm outside (which frightens her.) She was stumbling around running into things, jumping on my furniture, she couldn't relax & didn't want to lay down...I would get her to lay down for a minute or two & then she would suddenly jump up & run around like she was "drunk!" She also bit me when I tried to get her to lay down the first time, & she has NEVER bit me before!!!

By calling the Vet & the manufacturer company, I found that her skin was itching & burning, therefore driving her crazy as she didn't know what it was or what to do. So I gave her a bath & washed her with Dawn dishwashing soap. She seemed pleasant while she was in the tub, & now she's still not back to her usual self, but she's a little better & less jumpy than she was, just keeps pacing a little still. Apparently the chemical Permethrin in the medicine is actually TOXIC, so why would they put it in something that goes directly on your animal's skin!?!?

They need to STOP selling this ASAP!!!

*If your pet gets a reaction to this, immediately give them a bath with Dawn dishwashing soap!

Review about: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Vaccination.

I applied First Shield Trio to my girlfriend's cat & she died a month later.Although she had kidney failure, feline leukemia virus, hepatitis, & generalized fractious syndrome, I'm sure it was the First Shield Trio that did her in.

I also put it on my 55 kg male Mastiff and saw no side effects the first two years I used it, but after this, I applied it once and my dog developed what the vet diagnosed as priapism, which lasted for about a week.

We regularly consult with an animal psychic and she informed us that "Randy" felt as if the First Shield Trio was making him hallucinate.I'll never use this stuff again.

I have used First Shield Trio on all three of my small dogs, (one is 20 years old) and have never had any issues.Every dog and situation is different.

Just because one dog has a reaction does not mean it is a bad product.

My dog is allergic to Lyme vaccine, does not mean I should not give it to my other pets or they should stop giving the vaccine all together.SMH....

Roseville, California, United States #1290905

We just took in a 16 lb Lhasa Apso male from a neighbor who had a health plan with Banfield.Although I wanted Trifexis, I was told they had given him a heart worm shot and he would need First Shield Trio.

I put it on him on Saturday morning and on Sunday night he was shaking so bad I got online and googled First Shield Trio shaking and found this and other sites.

I gave him a bath and rinsed the product off the best I could.Needless to say, with as much adverse publicity as that product has, Banfield will no longer be his Vet as soon as the health plan ends.

Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania, United States #1239662

I used First Shield Trio last night on my 7 pound maltese and he had the same reaction. I bathed him this morning and I'm taking him to the vet in 30 mins. I wish I read your post sooner!!!

Saint James, New York, United States #1189326

Sorry but I've used this on my 3 year old chihuahua and despite the medicine smelling bad, nothing bad happened. Are you sure your pet doesn't have allergies?

My 4 year old Cheagle acted about the same way.She never but me but she was itching, pacing and acting lethargic.

She bloated up really bad and she acted like her joints hurt. She also got a small tick on her leg so it didn't stop the ticks.

All of her skin turned red on top of it all.Beware if you decide to use this

Washington, District Of Columbia, United States #1186230

My afghan hound did the exact same thing. Thought it was dermatitis at first, until a neighbor saw my issue and said "it's that trio stuff, my dog did it too." Severe rash, acting wild, chewing her fur nonstop for weeks. I am very upset with banfield.

This is the ONLY THING that helps our WESLEY. He has very seldom scratched and doesn't have any problems like he did w/Advandx2, He is a much happier dog and everyone should know that a topical flea med has to dry before bathing or anything else. I put it on him at night and cage him for 6 hours and then he's fine,

I used first shield trio for the first time on my puppy and nobody told me that this stuff had to dry for 6-8 hours and my puppy loves to sleep on my ottoman and when we woke up about 45 min.later my puppy was black around her neck and this stuff also ate through my ottoman.

Do Not Use First Shield Trio this is stuff is lethal.

I have a 14yr.Old Shih tzu and two westie-shih tzu mix 4 yr.

olds.We have used First shield trio for years and have had nothing but rave reviews

Anonymous: I've been using first shield trio on my 11 yr old dog for the past 4 years and had no issues whatsoever!She has no fleas or ticks while using this product.

I ve been using first shield FOR CATS for two years since I adopted my cat? The only issue with it is it makes her fur a little greasy and flaky for two days. I then brush it and it's like nothing was applied. Every pet is different.

Who knows why some dogs have had horrible reactions to first shield trio and other s do fine. Applying ANY topical flea treatment carries a risk? Sorry to everyone who had a bad experience with the product, but this doesn't mean it should be taken off the shelves.

My friend's one yr old corgi just suffered a chemical burn from the pet amour plus she bought and it is marketed as a cost efficient alternative to front line.Just be extra cautious when choosing what to use on your pets.

The thing is this product is mostly safe, but as with all things allergies can occur.And of course people who don't undstand how these things work come to *** and moan on the internet.

People who are satisfied don't come to these sites so confirmation bias is going to tell you oh so many people on this site don't like it it must be bad.This product is safe, I'm a a vet tech for several years now using this product without any reactions.

This is the only stuff that works on my dog!Used advantix for a while but poor Adeline still got fleas.

The doctor told me to try this and 6 hours after application she is sleeping like a baby and the fleas are dead and gone.She's only 12 pounds, but if used correctly and responsibly, thus is a great topical for any dog!

Columbus, Ohio, United States #843877

its works great on my dog and cat, Been using it on them for 5 years. its the only flea stuff that actually works the whole 4 weeks. Ive used all the other stuff and First Shield Trio blows it away.

I just applied this medication to my 7 month old Doberman Pinscher puppy and there were no side effects at all. She handled this medication perfectly well and it did not bother her at all.

Richmond, Virginia, United States #789765

My dogs have never had issues with it. It works great!

Everett, Washington, United States #721231

My pug is also having a reaction to First Shield Trio. My dog stayed with his babysitter for the weekend, as I was attending classes out of town. My dog sitter told me upon my return they had spent a lot of time outside. Later, I noticed my dog seemed a little itchy. I immediately thought 'fleas'. I had some First Shield Trio, a package of 4. I had used the product once, but the 2nd time, my dog seemed annoyed by it, so I wiped it off. So, in my ignorance, I believed the last time was a fluke and put it on again, around 1am. That night he slept very close to me and then, the next morning I noticed he was having tremors. He was also restless and couldn't get comfortable. Then it got worse, he lost his coordination, walked like he was drunk and in a panic I called my local Banfields. They told me it was probably a reaction to the meds and to give him a bath in a mild soap or dawn then bring him in.

I brought him in and they looked him over. He had no fever and no discernible burns. They also discounted his tremors. They sent us home. Last night was a *** night. He would lay down and his body shook and his right leg was shaking on its own. He would sit up (which seemed to give him some relief) but then he'd get sleepy and lay down. I gave him Benadryl and it helped him sleep. However, his leg continued to *** all night and he continued to have tremors. I called them this morning and they told me to bring him right in. We got there and they did an exam and said his gums were not white, he did not have obvious burns and implied he was probably having issues because he had joint problems in his leg. CONDESCENDING! I have lived and slept with my pug since I got him at 12 weeks. He is 8 years old now and I know when something is wrong. The doctor left the room after telling me she didn't have time to debate and after waiting another 30 minutes sent in the nurse. I showed the nurse the tremors and rubbed my hands over his side, which seemed to cause him pain. She said she saw it and I said I was worried. I told her I had looked online and it said to give him IV fluids to help flush out his system. She told me I can believe what is online. She told me she'd have the doc come in and tell her she saw my dog shake. The doc/vet came in and told me I was basically delusional. I didn't know what I was talking about and this whole thing is because of his joint problems!!

I decided to take my pug to "a real vet" after I went home and bathed him again in dawn. The new vet agreed with me and gave me Diazapam to avoid seizures and Methocarbamol to help with tremors. She also said to give him another bath in dawn later. My dog does seem to enjoy the bath, which I give him in slightly warm water. It feels good on his skin and it calms him. He is doing better and I am grateful. I apologized to my pug for doing this and I promise you, he knew what I said. He leaned towards me and put his forehead and my forehead. "I forgive you mom"...

to S***y #728798

I am sorry to hear this happened to your Pet but you do realize that you overdosed your Pet on a medication by applying a second dose in such a short period of time. To blame the product, company or veterinarian is absolutely incorrect.

Dallas, Texas, United States #720629

I gave both my dogs first shield trio despite the reviews.I did ask my vet how many they sell, and how many have complained About it.

Their answer was "0". Granted this is just for my local banfield, so I decided I'd give it a shot. My dogs are if fine, they didn't go crazy, and I could tell it was working that same day. we have a bad tick problem near our apartments since we are close to the woods directly behind us.

I put first shield trio on both my dogs around 12pm and by 6pm I had already found a few dead ticks on my dogs. Whether or not it Actually repels them, I'm not sure yet but it definitely kills them. To all those people who get reactions on their dogs aside from an allergy.......if your dog has been bit already or has been scratching himself enough to be a little raw. OF COURSE it's going to irritate your dogs skin even more.

That's like putting alcohol on a cut, only a constant burn/irritation.the best thing to do is soothe your dogs skin with a bath, wait 24 to 48 hours then apply flea &tick treatment.

It's true!That stuff is toxic.

Banfield you should be ashamed! What are they paying you to get our dogs sick so we have to bring back in for more $? She was going crazy. I started crying because I thought she was dying!

Running around, beating her ears, walking with head burrowed into the ground like a ground hog. She couldnt even sleep and I was helpless. What an awful feeling! I know all dogs dont react the same but what kind of statistics do you want, oh its ok only kills 2 out of 5 dogs?

Finally figured out what it was and washed that mess off but still keeping her on death watch.

Take that poison off of the shelf before it kills someone's poor dog.:cry