12.6K views

Update by user Jul 07, 2012

I must add to my post that Marli is 5lbs and every single case that I\'ve noticed dogs having the same adverse affects like my Marli, there were all under 10lbs...

Original review posted by user Jul 01, 2012

I purchased First Shield Trio for my 6 year old Toy Poodle Marli. My fiance and I wanted him to have better coverage when we walk him outdoors from fleas and ticks. When I applied the medicine on the back of his back as the instructions suggested, it appeared at first like he was okay. However, as the time progressed, that night he became very restless. He continued to *** at his back and scratch the area with his paws. He didn't sleep a wink at all the night that we applied the treatment.

I woke up the next morning at 5 am because he continued to pace back and forth throughout the house. He couldn't rest. I bathed him with oatmeal soap because he couldn't get comfortable at all. He would continuously run throughout the house. Try to rub his back on the the wall, pillow, anything that could help relieve the discomfort that he is feeling.

He also began to snap at us. I called Banfield and complained about the side effects. I went online and saw the tons of bad reviews this treatment was receiving on the web. For the life of me, I can't understand WHY Banfield would sell something so toxic!!! This was the first time we'd ever tried this particular topical flea/tick treatment. When we went to the vet, it was visible that his back was very red from him constantly biting the area where the medicine was applied.

My dog bit the nurse at Banfield when they tried to give him a medicated bath. He is not a biter might I add. When I questioned the Dr. about this topical treatment. He told me that just like with any topical treatment, there is a chance for a dog to have an allergic reaction. It seems like this is much more than an allergic reaction. My dog is going MAD! He can't rest! He's restless.....He is snapping at us. I tried to give him more Benadryl because it doesn't appear to be working and he bit me. I don't know what else to do.

He went into his crate (which he hates) but I guess he wants a place to try and get away... Banfield isn't giving me any answers. Nothing they suggest is working. I will NEVER EVER use this First Shield Trio AGAIN!!! It's toxic!!!!!!!!

Review about: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Vaccination.

Had an Experience with Banfield Pet Hospital?

Comments

Woodstock, Georgia, United States #1353391

My 7 mo English mastiff dog has been on this since March and this last time given (beg of July) she broke out in hives...sterpid shot made it go away didn't think it was flea meds..thought food allergy.Now it's happening again 2nd time this month.

My bf thinks it's the first shield.Never did research, trusted banfield vet and now my dog is itchy and has hives.

Houston, Texas, United States #1331457

I applied this on my dog yesterday and had to rush him to a 24 hour clinic. I called Banfield today and they will not reimburse even a fraction of the cost for his care. I will NEVER use FIRST SHIELD again and will make sure that everyone in my circle of friends, family and acquaintances know to stay away from it as well.!!!

Largo, Florida, United States #1318504

Banfield just sent me first should because they wouldn't adjust for another 6 months of triflex. I'm a bit anxious about using this. Also don't like Banfield and will be cancelling the ins asap

Los Angeles, California, United States #1274728

I applied first shield trio to my golden retriever and I had an allergic reaction.I did not touch the medicine at all but just breathing I could taste it.

Symptoms included vomiting dizziness tingling lips tongue and hands.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM.I'm waiting to see how my dog reacts.

Federal Way, Washington, United States #1266546

My miniature poodle had the same exact side effects!And it is ineffective.

Just found a flea and some eggs on my poor little guy.

Taking him to the vet first thing tomorrow!Any suggestions on what is effective and has no reaction on the skin?

Melbourne, Florida, United States #1250048

I've been using this product for 2 years bunch of Lies.

And remember every dog is different

to Anonymous Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa #1253150

How can you make a statement like "bunch of lies" then mention that each dog reacts differently?

Bellingham, Washington, United States #1221270

Given correctly it works great. I use it on my 8 pound dog with no issues and I use it on my all my other dogs too. You have to apply it in 4 places.

Mountain View, California, United States #1203558

Can someone please tell me how long this horrible allergic reaction lasts?I took my poodle mix to banfield animal hospital and they put first shield trio on her and now she's crying and jumping around and acting crazy like something is hurting her.

I usually Google anything I use however this one time I trusted the vet. Biggest mistake ever. They hurt my baby...

I called them after I read these reviews and asked them why they still use this and she said every dog is different.Hello if it hurts one dog u should not use it again!!!

to Anonymous Austin, Texas, United States #1224828

If every medical field stopped using a drug after one person or animal had a reaction to it, then there would be no "safe" medications for anyone.