Columbia, South Carolina
3.6K views 27 comments

First Shield Flea Medication sold by Banfield Pet Hospital in Pet Smart is poison. I do Not use Banfield as vet for my animals, but sometimes purchased Front line flea medication (for prevention) while shopping or having my animals groomed at Pet Smart. I had purchased Front line from them until this last visit. The Banfield receptionist informed me they no longer sold Front line, but carry a new "better" medication, that contained the same ingredient as Front line. She continued by saying the only difference was that First Shield is a faster acting medication with little to no side effect. LIAR!!Not only did I talk to the receptionist, but also spoke with a vet tech. who almost repeated "the exact" same information, so I purchased the product. Had I been aware that a company would sell a medication that would possible lead to such devastation side effects, I would have done my research. But again like I said, Banfield staff went out of their way to assure me and praise this product.

After putting the product on my cat, she began to rapidly run around the house. She jumped, rolled, and meowed, telling me their was something wrong. The product was burning her skin, I attempted to catch her to wash the product off, but she was in no mood to come near me after I had just put the medication on her that was causing pain. She quickly went under the bed and out of reach. Very lethargic, she would not come out. After a week of feeding her treats and catering her food and water, she eventually came out. The place where the First Shield had been put on "the base of the neck, I applied it correctly", it had burned her fur off and left a horrible scab. In an effort of trying to reach the burning, Muph Muph, my cat, had scratched around her neck profusely to the point she has no hair and horrible sores.

I took her immediately to my vet, where he had to look the product up, never hearing of it. He then told me that none of the ingredients in First Shield were in Front line, in fact he had never heard of the ingredient. He also said he found several claims where First Shield had caused serious skin burning and irritation, and in the worse cases death in pets. Muph Muph was given a shot of antibiotic, anti inflammatory, and steroid, resulting in a vet bill well over a hundred dollars. She is recovering SLOWLY and still hides under the bed the majority of the day. This product is dangerous and should be ripped from the market. Banfield should be ashamed for selling this product, not warning and lying to their customers. As for the company who makes the products "Vetpharm" sham on you for taking short cuts and not producing the cation necessary for this product. I have spent a lot of money at Pet Smart since they opened in my area, I love my animals, but I will NEVER step foot back into their store.

Do not even attempt to try this product, no matter what they say!

Review about: First Shield Flea Medication.

Review #197142 is a subjective opinion of a user.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / $200
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Banfield Pet Hospital?

Comments

Diane Brown

The vet at Banfield sold me First Shield and my cat had a reaction: running around like crazy, stumbling, trembling, crying, etc.I took her to Banfield when they opened this morning.

They kept her there all day and gave her IVs, washed her off, etc. for a bill of $430. She was not much better than when I took her in and they told me to take her to a 24/7 pet hospital where they can watch her overnight....Another $500, half payable in advance. She is blind.

They don't know if she will recover.

How do I find out about any class action lawsuits?

I just now looked up First Shield when I got home.I had no idea it was toxic.

Temple, Texas, United States #1195614

They have the solution for cats to; unless the company is false advertising.

Goldie
Temple, Texas, United States #1195612

They did the same to me at PetSmart Vet; with so many over the counter and a visit to the vet is so expensive I was convinced by PetVets customer service to buy FirstShield; well my cat was hipper ventilating and hiding from me, something he never did; after a few runs, I finally caught him and gave him a bath to remove the Firstshield from his body, he seems to be better; I will never buy this product again and hope it's removed from the market; I just blewv$49

Stop using flea and tick products that are chemically stronger then needed just because your vet suggests you purchase the product they want to sell you.Do some research as to the strength actually needed for treating fleas & ticks.

As opposed to over medicating with vet recommended chemical products.Pet stores have a variety of low cost products that will give the same protection as the expensive prescription flea and tick products have.

to Anonymous #1094936

They are not "chemically stronger than needed".They are formulated for specific weights and sold based on weight.

Her vet also didn't recommend it seeing as she specifically said that she doesn't use Banfield as a vet.

Her pet had a rare reaction. Pets can have a reaction to anything. Reactions cannot be predicted and just because a pet had a reaction to a flea prevention, medication, vaccine etc doesn't mean it's a bad product. It just means that the pet is sensitive to an ingredient in it, and they should find a different product that works for them.

There's no one single prevention out there that will work for every pet.

I work at a vet office and have a few patients who have allergic reactions to tea tree oil and other natural things.

As for the cheap over the counter flea preventions from pet stores. You do realize that the cheaper the product is, the more likely your pet is to have a reaction? The otc cheap medications have some ingredients in them that do absolutely nothing. They aren't even on the label.

All it says is "other ingredients".Hartz brand specifically is known for making pets extremely sick, causing seizures and killing pets.

Ma
Kenner, Louisiana, United States #909761

First shield is for dogs only.It says it on the packaging...I have been using it on my dogs since it came out and it works great on them.

My cat needs revolution, which is more than twice as much as the first shield.

Seems to me you thought you would save money by treating your cat with a dog medication.I feel bad that your cat was injured so badly, but before you condemn a business, you should give the whole story

malvather
to Ma Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States #953459

I have in my hand a box of First Shield flea and tick medication for CATS. It is made for both but after reading several reviews the remaining vial is going in the trash. I've read enough to know I will never again use this on my cats.

to Ma #1173929

They did sold me 2 FirstShield Cat/Kitten 0-8 pounds single dose and 1 First Shield trio 5-10lbs single dose for dogs.

rainnie
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States #892158

Thanks for your story,I just want to add WARNING,WARNING,WARNING!!!!!!!! and hope pet lovers listen

so what are you using now