Banfield Pet Hospital - First Shield Flea Medication is Poison
First Shield Flea Medication sold by Banfield Pet Hospital in Pet Smart is poison. I do Not use Banfield as vet for my animals, but sometimes purchased Front line flea medication (for prevention) while shopping or having my animals groomed at Pet Smart. I had purchased Front line from them until this last visit. The Banfield receptionist informed me they no longer sold Front line, but carry a new "better" medication, that contained the same ingredient as Front line. She continued by saying the only difference was that First Shield is a faster acting medication with little to no side effect. LIAR!!Not only did I talk to the receptionist, but also spoke with a vet tech. who almost repeated "the exact" same information, so I purchased the product. Had I been aware that a company would sell a medication that would possible lead to such devastation side effects, I would have done my research. But again like I said, Banfield staff went out of their way to assure me and praise this product.
After putting the product on my cat, she began to rapidly run around the house. She jumped, rolled, and meowed, telling me their was something wrong. The product was burning her skin, I attempted to catch her to wash the product off, but she was in no mood to come near me after I had just put the medication on her that was causing pain. She quickly went under the bed and out of reach. Very lethargic, she would not come out. After a week of feeding her treats and catering her food and water, she eventually came out. The place where the First Shield had been put on "the base of the neck, I applied it correctly", it had burned her fur off and left a horrible scab. In an effort of trying to reach the burning, Muph Muph, my cat, had scratched around her neck profusely to the point she has no hair and horrible sores.
I took her immediately to my vet, where he had to look the product up, never hearing of it. He then told me that none of the ingredients in First Shield were in Front line, in fact he had never heard of the ingredient. He also said he found several claims where First Shield had caused serious skin burning and irritation, and in the worse cases death in pets. Muph Muph was given a shot of antibiotic, anti inflammatory, and steroid, resulting in a vet bill well over a hundred dollars. She is recovering SLOWLY and still hides under the bed the majority of the day. This product is dangerous and should be ripped from the market. Banfield should be ashamed for selling this product, not warning and lying to their customers. As for the company who makes the products "Vetpharm" sham on you for taking short cuts and not producing the cation necessary for this product. I have spent a lot of money at Pet Smart since they opened in my area, I love my animals, but I will NEVER step foot back into their store.
Do not even attempt to try this product, no matter what they say!
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- First Shield Flea Medication
- Review category
- Pet Medicine and Veterinary Clinics