Banfield Pet Hospital - First Shield Flea Medication is Poison
First Shield Flea Medication sold by Banfield Pet Hospital in Pet Smart is poison. I do Not use Banfield as vet for my animals, but sometimes purchased Front line flea medication (for prevention) while shopping or having my animals groomed at Pet Smart. I had purchased Front line from them until this last visit. The Banfield receptionist informed me they no longer sold Front line, but carry a new "better" medication, that contained the same ingredient as Front line. She continued by saying the only difference was that First Shield is a faster acting medication with little to no side effect. LIAR!!Not only did I talk to the receptionist, but also spoke with a vet tech. who almost repeated "the exact" same information, so I purchased the product. Had I been aware that a company would sell a medication that would possible lead to such devastation side effects, I would have done my research. But again like I said, Banfield staff went out of their way to assure me and praise this product.
After putting the product on my cat, she began to rapidly run around the house. She jumped, rolled, and meowed, telling me their was something wrong. The product was burning her skin, I attempted to catch her to wash the product off, but she was in no mood to come near me after I had just put the medication on her that was causing pain. She quickly went under the bed and out of reach. Very lethargic, she would not come out. After a week of feeding her treats and catering her food and water, she eventually came out. The place where the First Shield had been put on "the base of the neck, I applied it correctly", it had burned her fur off and left a horrible scab. In an effort of trying to reach the burning, Muph Muph, my cat, had scratched around her neck profusely to the point she has no hair and horrible sores.
I took her immediately to my vet, where he had to look the product up, never hearing of it. He then told me that none of the ingredients in First Shield were in Front line, in fact he had never heard of the ingredient. He also said he found several claims where First Shield had caused serious skin burning and irritation, and in the worse cases death in pets. Muph Muph was given a shot of antibiotic, anti inflammatory, and steroid, resulting in a vet bill well over a hundred dollars. She is recovering SLOWLY and still hides under the bed the majority of the day. This product is dangerous and should be ripped from the market. Banfield should be ashamed for selling this product, not warning and lying to their customers. As for the company who makes the products "Vetpharm" sham on you for taking short cuts and not producing the cation necessary for this product. I have spent a lot of money at Pet Smart since they opened in my area, I love my animals, but I will NEVER step foot back into their store.
Do not even attempt to try this product, no matter what they say!
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- First Shield Flea Medication
- Review category
- Pet Medicine and Veterinary Clinics
You May Also Like
- "We used First Shield Trio for two months with no problems. Yesterday was the third month so we applied the application as usual and our 8.5 pound peekapoo puppy started..."
- "For my son's birthday I adopted a Burmese kitten for him. He was so excited and elated. As many shelter pets our new kitten contacted a URI infection. I took..."
- "I took my yorkie in to have her dental cleaning which is part in the plus active prevention services, was told I had to paid extra for anesthesia which is..."
- "Totally pissed off that they have the audacity to tell a paying member that they can't use equipment! I've been a faithful member for 7 years but it's time for..."
- "Nationwide Mutual Ins. Co.Allied InsuranceNationwide AgribusinessTitan InsuranceVictoria InsuranceTo anyone with Nationwide Insurance:Beware when filing a claim with Nationwide or affiliates listed above. They use a computer based program to evaluate..."
- "I just ordered a sandwich from McDonalds in specifically asked not to put tomatoes on it because I am allergic to tomatoes! now when I asked for no tomatoes why..."
- "This is the worst place to go!!!! Employees are idiots or something!!! After making wait more than 5 minutes to take my order I ask for the mint chocolate swirl..."
- "I buy clothes at anthropology frequently because the their store in the Yorkville, Toronto is close to my office. Yesterday, I tried a sweater in the fitting room, I asked..."
- "Went to the mac store in the westfield at Stratford. When i got to the till the lady that served me was so rude loads of attiude and couldnt be..."