Benny is 2 years, a "white" malti-poo.Banfield vet recommend and perscribed FIRST SHIELD for ticks !

Well, it was applied correctly ( on the back ) . Benny went in for grooming and we noticed when he came out that the hair on his back , close to his skin, was orangy brown ! He was very sensitive to touch there too. We first thought, fungus or mange.

We brought him to Banfield immediately. The vet said it was not fungus or mange , but a reaction to FIRST SHIELD. She had never seen that before. Immediately told me to not use.

Hair is ruined!

Had an Experience with Banfield Pet Hospital?

Comments

I am not familiar with first shield and I am not a fan of Ban field. That being said this complaint should really be directed against the makers of First Shield not Ban field.

cabbiecat

Our Dog's white hair has not grown back after applying the "FIRST SHIELD" on his back a few months ago.It is an orange stripe going down his back.

We call First Shield and told them what had happened. They said they had never heard of this before. Well, whether they have heard of it or not, it is a possible side effect from the product "First Shield". Our dogs vet is now aware and should alert patients of this possible , supposedly unusual side effect, especially with dogs with a record of skin sensitivity .

I just want other dog owners to know this possible side effect, especially if their dog has sensitive skin and it discolors white hair to orange forever !Terrible !

Jamie from Maryland,

You are absolutely right.We did address the company" First Shield" and they basically said that they had never heard of such a reaction, however online there are other accounts of reactions like this with dogs that tend to have allergies.

I am not saying that Banfield is responsible, but they are NOW responsible for informing "First Shield" of the side effect .

We called them, but Banfield needs to report the case too !Also, they need to be careful which dogs they perscribe "First Shield", especially those with allergies.

Banfield Pet Hospital
#521949

Hi, Cabbiecat –

I hope your dog is feeling much better! I'm sorry about your experience at our facility. I understand your frustration and am sorry you and your dog went through such a stressful situation.

After reading your feedback, we would like to speak with you directly to gather more information. We strive to provide exceptional customer service to our customers. We truly appreciate your honest opinion about your experience with us. Could you please call our Client Advocate Team, toll-free, at 877-500-2288 or email cat(at)banfield(dot)com so we can help improve your experience?

Your satisfaction and the health of your dog are of the utmost importance to us. Thank you again for letting us know, we look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Most sincerely,

Lisa

Banfield Online Community Manager

#519312

Any type of medication esp first time an animal, just like a human, there can be a reaction that is unknown.You said it in your own comment that this was a first time the vet had seen anything like that before.

It's sad that your pet had a reaction to the medication and had turned your pets fur another color. This should not be a complaint to Banfield hospital that is recommending a medicated flea/tick product that had low risk of reactions and works remarkably.

You should either be upset with the company that makes firstshield or a warning that this possibly could happen and to be careful with new products and medications.I doubt anyone would expect this to happen to your pet and would want it to happen.