Salt Lake City, Utah

I recently spent over $1,500 to have my cat treated/surgery for a bladder tumor. Unfortunately he passed away a week after the surgery. I will not reveal the specific location of this Banfield except that it is in Utah.

My complaints:

I am very displeased with Banfield's customer service. The vet techs/front desk people that I had dealt with (during my month long experience with them) were extremely cold to me. I could not understand why as I had always been kind to them. They were all very young girls. I had even caught one of them texting at one point. My cat had been extremely sick during every visit. They showed almost no sympathy towards him or his situation. At one point I had called in the morning with a severe emergency that my cat was having. The person that had answered the phone went to speak with someone else and accidentally hung up the phone on me. Upon my calling back she pretended that she had not been the one to answer my phone call to begin with. She than preceded to tell me to "wait" while she grabbed a piece of paper to write down my information. Upon giving her my name and phone number she asked me in a rude tone to repeat what I had said to her. Many times I had called and had spoken to the same front desk people. They never seemed to know what was going on with my cat and had to ask repeatedly. After all of the time and money that I had spent there (in my opinion) they should have actually cared to take the time to get to know my situation.

Solutions:

- Please improve your customer service and the way that all employees of Banfield interact with their customers. Show them some sort of sympathy and actual concern. When pets are sick - owners go through lots of pain as well. I know that I did.

- If a pet is dealing with serious issues I would recommend something being set-up where as a certain employee will call the owner regularly to check-up on their pet. Not only could this save the pet's life but it will also make the owner feel better. The front desk/vet techs seemed to not recognize that my cat had been enduring emergencies almost daily. I remember telling one of them during a certain phone call that I had been force feeding my cat water and food with a syringe. That he had not been eating after his surgery. I had called to change an appointment to the next day. Instead of her telling me to come in at that very moment (which could have possibly saved my cat) she simply changed the appointment to a different time.

- Ask the owners how they are doing and if they will be ok after the death of a pet. No one seemed to care that my cat had passed away the last day that I had brought him in. No one asked if I had needed anything or remotely even seemed concerned with the hysterical state of mind that I was in. After leaving the vet's office I was forced to stand in line waiting to pay for the last treatment that my cat had received. The front desk person said nothing to me. She went into the back room twice to talk with someone regarding what had just happened with my cat. She than preceded to print off a receipt and paperwork concerning his death. I could not contain myself and began shed many tears in front of her. I than told her that I did not want the receipt. This is only when she said, "I'm sorry."

In conclusion I wish with all of my heart that I would have chosen a different vet. Please choose wisely where you take your animals for treatment.

Also, those who do not have money to pay for certain treatments - there is ALWAYS a way to help your animal. DO NOT give up on them! Check out the following link: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Customer Care.

Comments

I am very sorry about your experiance with Banfield. I live in the Jacksonville Florida area and had some trouble but, not quit like yours.

As I was leaving the Clinic I was approached by a very nice gentle man that works there I believe his name was Farron. He said he was a trainer and he was very forth coming in his opinion about Banfield. He said that their basic goals are to sell pet insurance and to get them in and get them out as quick as possible. So, from what I read of your complaint and my own experiance there this all falls into line.

What a shame :sigh I know I will not go back to a place that treats my pet on a assembly line.

I know this does not help but, I wanted to share my two cents. God Bless

I know this does not help but, I wanted to share my two cents. God Bless

im so sorry for your terrible experiance and the loss of your family member

i am a receptionist at Banfield and i make it a point to become close with the clients. ive been there thru a few of out patients problems resulting in them passing away or having to be put to rest. ive been asked by the client to be in the room with them. ive cried with them and hugged them even walked them to their car to make sure they were okay and to see if they needed anything.

again im so incredibly sorry about your heart breaking experience

#319058

Grievingcatowner, first of all we want to say how sorry we are for the loss of your cat. We apologize that your visit to one of our hospitals has left you feeling this way.

We strive to provide our clients and their pets with high quality medicine and exceptional client experiences on every visit.

We appreciate your feedback and are currently unaware of your situation. To address your specific concerns, and to help us improve our overall service, we would appreciate it if you would call us at 877-500-2288 to discuss what happened.

I think you stated your complaints very well, but I also think your complaints will fall on deaf ears.

I have had my own horror story with Banfield, maybe not as bad as yours, and I was FLOORED at the childish, unprofessional service I received.

I hesitate to post about it; one of the posters here mocked me for complaining about it, but I think my concerns are justified.

My experiences have convinced me that Banfield has no respect for the pet-owner and it's best to move on. :cry