Dallas, Texas

I have never been to Banfield before butt my vet was closed and my little dog had a nasty yeast infection and ear infection in his right ear.. Anyway I took him in to a Banfield facility and the receptionist was very nice although the vet had the personality of a wall and she said she needed to swab his ears to verify infection or yeast....

Now I am a RN and I know when you are being cheated out of money ....Common in ten years I have never had a vet request a slide test to verify a ear infection or yeast.. plus the whole test may actually cost 50 cents....they wanted 33 dollars and I refused the test... Anyway after refusing the tech said "we will see".... unbelievable I was treated like *** from Doctor after that...

what is wrong with people its all about money anymore and lets see how much money we can get out of people....little did they know I was somewhat educated and the test was not needed,,,, These vets who are only in it for the money should nnot be working or have the priveledge to work with animals.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service.

Comments

For the record, we do not work for commission at Banfield. We have set salaries as of 2011 and running diagnostics and prescribing medication does not increase our pay or decrease our pay whether you decide to follow our recommendations or not. Pets don't get to pick their owner, so the least we can do as pet owners is treat and take care of them the way we would want someone to do for us. If you can't afford taking care of a living mammal, there are plenty of rescues that will find an owner who will.

In specific relation to ear infections, we do cytology as mentioned here earlier, to determine exactly what is in your dog's ears. We could throw you medication but if it's for rod bacteria (which is resistant to most typical ear antibiotics and needs to be cultured to find out what specific antibiotic may need to be used), guess what: you're back at our clinic complaining we didn't treat your pet, and we don't know what we're doing. Meanwhile, your pet is going through horrible pain and scratching it's ear so bad it pops blood vessels in the eyes, pops it's ear drums and now you have a situation that is going to take more money to treat.

We chose this career because we care about animals. Trust me, my hundreds of thousands of loans I pay back trump what my income is and only someone who really cares would take that risk. Please learn to respect our profession.

soo. its 50 cents for the wrights stain kit we have to open to stain the swab to see what is growing in your pets ears?

let alone the cottton swabs, microscope use, microscope slides, immersion oil and heat fixation and the 20 mins it takes to set that up?, i have worked in several vet clinics and bafield is the only practice that actually does it by the book. The book written by the state veterinarian by the way. Dont forget that your pet does not have insurance for medical things like you do. So...

we cant get paid for the time we spend on your pet that you probably waited 2 weeks to have seen?

god, your just like the clients you as an RN complain about but dont even know it. :)

I have been a technician in the veterinary field for 5 years and dont work for banfield, i can tell you that what we see on the microscope negates which bottle of ear solution we reach for and which anti-biotic or anti fungal treatment that we use. needless to say if you are a nurse you understand that using an anti-biotic will make a yeast infection worse and vise versa.

i do however think the price is a bit high....

we charge 10 in my clinic. hope this helped :)

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but I can tell you that as a licensed vet technician (who had to go through years of school and professional training and sit for state and national boards in order to have my job) I would be appalled if my vet did not suggest an ear cytology to diagnose the type of ear infection. How are they supposed to know what meds to use for your pet and how to treat the problem without proper diagnostics?

It always amazes me when I see the differences in human and animal medicine. People CLAIM that their pets are their children, but when it comes right down to it they are unwilling to spend any money on making them well. If your human child was sick, would you argue and negotiate with his doctor about what you (an untrained layperson) thought was appropriate to treat him? OR would you trust the education of the doctor to make recommendations for the treatment that is necessary? That's right. We listen to the doctor. We may grumble about the money, but we do what we need to do to heal the child. Why is it different for your pet?

Also, OWNING A PET IS NOT SOMETHING YOU AUTOMATICALLY DESERVE IN LIFE. THEY DEPEND ON YOU FOR EVERYTHING. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO GIVE AN ANIMAL BASIC CARE THEN YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE THEM.

Yes, veterinary professionals care about the animals that they treat, but you know what? The vet I work for is far from rich, and I can't even calculate the amount of money he DOESN'T charge for things he should, or how much of our own, off-the-clock time we donate every week to give our clients the absolute best standard of care for their animals.

I love my job, but last year I made under $18k and had to have 2 part-time jobs to make my bills.

So, before you accuse any veterinary professional of trying to 'price gouge' you for something you deem unnecessary, get the facts. If you take your animal to the vet for treatment, be prepared to listen to the vet and don't be afraid to ask WHY they are recommending something if you want clarification. But once they tell you, don't argue with them about price.

Better yet, if you have limited money to begin with, look into pet insurance BEFORE the animal gets sick, so you don't have to choose little or no care due to money issues.

my dog also had a nasty ear infection . my vet also took a sample of her ear wax. i trust my vet to do what is right,and they did..

Agree with Banfield DVM. I'm a Vet tech not associated with Banfield in any way.

Standard protocol for patients with nasty ears or skin is to get a cytology to check what's growing there. Could be yeast, could be bacteria, could be both. If the vet had decided to treat your pet with a medication for yeast without a cytology to confirm, yet your pet actually had a bacterial infection chances are you would end up back in the vet's office in a week complaining that her ears weren't getting any better. Would you rather spend the $33 upfront to accurately diagnose the infection in your dogs ear or would you rather come back in a week, pay for a recheck visit, have the cytology finally done and finally diagnose and treat the problem accurately.

Seems to me the doctor actually saved you some money. And don't forget the medication that perhaps didn't work the first time would have been non-refundable/returnable. Who actually was watching your wallet?

In addition, judging by your blog, I'm guessing you would have been ready to sue the doctor for misdiagnosing and mistreating your pet and requesting a refund to boot. You are an RN of course and understand the laws behind Standard of Care....

Banfield Pet Hospital

We strive to provide our clients and their Pets with high quality medicine and exceptional client experiences on every visit. We apologize that your visit to one of our hospitals was unsatisfactory. To address your specific concern, and to help us improve our overall service, we would appreciate it if you would call us at 1-877-500-2288 to tell us what happened.

I'm a vet with Banfield. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience but we are truly not all like that.

The reason that we perform ear swab/microscopic exams is to determine the type of infection that is present in a dog/cat's ear. If it is 100% yeast and we treat it for only bacteria, then guess what? our medication won't do anything. Yes, we could guess, and odds are it'll help, but it may not help the way that we want it to, and we just may not get the desired result.

We also have specific medicated cleaners for bacteria vs. yeast vs. mixed infections. I ALWAYS recommend an ear swab with potential ear infections, but I am 100% there for the client and work with their budget first and foremost.

If they flat out tell me they cannot afford the tests that are recommended, then I work with them to find the proper treatment for the pet that will best serve that specific pet, not what will best serve my wallet. Yes, I work on commission, and you know what? It's awful. I could make more at Walmart and I went to school for 8 years and am in debt about $200,000.

I make under 50,000 per year. I don't do unnecessary tests. I recommend the highest quality care for every pet, and we go from there. If a client tells me they can't afford it, then I work with them to find a happy medium.

This may mean guessing on medications and using over the counter neosporin and $4 antibiotics from Walmart, but if it works for the pet and the client is happy, then that's all that I care about. I don't push Wellness plans on everyone. I discuss it with a lot of people, but if it just doesn't work for you, then it just doesn't work for you. Again, I'm sorry that you had such a horrible experience, but not all Banfield's are horrible and not all vet's are so bad either.

I've wanted to do this since I was 3, and I care more about animals than I can express in words. So please do not judge all vets or all Banfield employees.

FYI...Banfield is a rip off. The vets there are on commission and they more they charge you the more money on thier paycheck

Agreed with Cool!- You are a RN, not a DVM, nor RVT- thats why they go to school- to learn about animal medicine. YOU went to school for human medicine!

I worked for a vet clinic several years ago and its true! RNs think they know everything. If you KNOW everything, why were you going to the vet again? BTW- this vet, unlike your usual vet, knew NOTHING about your animal because he/she has NO RELATIONSHIP with it (ie.

They've never seen nor treated your animal before). They are required to do their own work-up and standard procedure is to look for what kind of microbes are causing the irritation. If they had not done this, had agreed with you that it was yeast, and then you found out later that it was bacterial related- you'd be *** about mal-practice! Shut-up and let them do their job!

They don't go into your clinic (or wherever you work) and tell you how to do your job and how to treat their problems!!! In fact, you can't treat medical issues, now can you? You're only an RN- you don't even have the ability to diagnose. Why are you complaining again?

You don't know what your talking about- wow. The idiocy of some people floor me.

RNS are idiots. You always act like you know everything.

Guess what u need to do these tests to diagnose the prob and make sure ur treating with the right meds.

Sometimes u need antibiotics too if it's bad. I'd ur an rn, why did u let ur dogs ears get like that anyway?

@Cool!

That's true. I used to teach RNs at two universities and I basically quit the job because of their lack of knowledge and stupidity-simply I couldn't take it anymore-they cannot even do a simple addition without using the calculator-my 5 year old daughter does way better than this on math, but they think they know way better than doctors though. What a shame!!!