In Oct 2011 I took my dog in to Banfield with what I thought was an injured foot. I had just moved from another state and the dog was fine, within a week of being in the new place I thought maybe she injured her foot somehow while exploring.

One of her toe nails was loose, extremely extended beyond the others and the foot was terribly swollen and painful, also hot to the touch. Banfield looked at her foot (no tests run, visual exam, didn't touch the foot) gave me antibiotics for 10 days then told to bring her back, which I did, in November. At that time they said she needed her toe nail removed so I paid for a surgery to remove the toe nail, brought her home with more meds. She went back for a wellness check, I mentioned she was still not bearing weight and they said oh that is normal.

After calling them multiple times and trying to get the doctor to do something, we went to a different vet. That vet x-rayed her foot, said first off they did NOT remove the toe nail they simply cut it down to the skin. Second, the x-ray showed clearly bone cancer, a very painful, nearly always fatal type. When I told the Banfield vets the situation, and that they had missed the DX entirely, they claimed I was negligent, that I didn't show up for follow up appointments etc.

I showed receipts etc, and they claimed their computer did not ever show me coming back so it wasn't their problem. My dog was euthanized after a very painful few months with bone cancer that we had been told by Banfield was a torn toe nail that they claimed to have removed (and charged us for, says so on the receipt) but really only cut back

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Nail Trimming.

Comments

Assuming this is the whole story (i.e you didn't decline to allow the Vet at Banfield to take radiographs in the beginning, that you did go back for the follow-up exams as recommended) it definitely sounds like there was negligence here. Any decent vet would recommend radiographs of the area BEFORE surgery in case there was evidence of a fracture/neoplasia that could explain a persistent lameness.

It may come too late for your pet but I would recommend you aggressively pursue this & ask for a copy of all the medical/surgical records be sent to you immediately so you can have your other vet review them. Then maybe you could both speak the the Medical Director (the Dr in charge of all the other Dr's in a region) for that hospital regarding your concerns for poor quality of medicine that your pet received so that they can make sure the Vets that saw your pet are OK to see other pets or if it would be more suitable to file a complaint with the state licensing board

@Anon

They suggested I do their choice of treatment before anything else was done. They did not recommend x-rays etc.

The vet said she had seen this "many times".

I commented my mom had been a breeder for years & I had never seen this before. That is when she reminded me that I was not a vet

Banfield Pet Hospital

Hi texasdeb - We are sorry about the loss of your dog. After reading your feedback, we would like to speak with you directly to gather more information regarding the care that your dog received at Banfield. Could you please call our Client Advocate Team, toll-free, at 877-500-2288 or email cat(at)banfield(dot)com? Again, we are so sorry for your loss.

Most sincerely,

The Banfield Team

@Banfield Pet Hospital

Hey, Banfield? Your Client Advocate Teams sucks!

I've spoken to them numerous times, all they do is listen to your complaint and tell you someone will be getting in touch with you within a decent amount of time. I complained about a doctor and the next thing you know I get a phone call from the hospital and the doctor I complained about!!! They pretty much admitted that they were forced to call me back from the hospital medical director and didn't sound apologetic, understanding, or even concerned about my original complaint. I had to call the client advocate team back to tell them nothing was handeled or addressed.

My animal died under the watchful, caring eyes of your hospital and I never received even a condolence card!! Thanks but no thanks.

@Banfield Pet Hospital

To the banfield "team": I have no interest in contacting a phone # where I just tell you what happened and you forward it to the same people who caused the death ofy dog. Banfield plays the "cya" game .

You find ways, even if you have to lie, why it is the client's fault. Get out of the animal business, you are a disgrace

VISIT YOU TUBE BANFIELD KILLED MY CHIHUAHUA

@CL*** ACTION LAWSUIT FORMING

CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT VISIT youtube "She sure didn't like that tube down her throat"

@Bev

Oh my God, she's back! Your pet died over 6 months ago and despite the advice of SEVERAL veterinary professionals indicating that your pet received appropriate medical attention, you continue to post on this site and accuse vets of malpractice.

Please stop. You are misinformed and really must stop now.

@Bev

I don't get it. What is that video supposed to show?