West Palm Beach, Florida
4.3

When my dog needed surgery to remove 5 tumors, I assumed she would be given preventative antihistamine before surgery to protect her from the side effects of the surgical removal of possible mast cell tumors. The tumors had not been biopsied, but there was the probability that some or all of her tumors were mast cell because she had had mast cell tumors removed several months ago at a different veterinarian's office.

Three days after this new surgery, Suzie, my pug, developed three lumps and I took her back to the vet at Banfield immediately to be examined. The vet and his assistant could only feel one lump and said it was small and told me to watch its size and come back if it gets bigger. Day after day Suzie developed more and more lumps of varying sizes and I suspected they might be hives from the release of histamines from the low grade mast cell tumors. When she had her stitches removed there were only three small lumps, but I took her back to the vet when she had over 30 lumps.

The doctor did not think they were hives, but suggested I make an appointment at an animal dermatologist and allergist for a biopsy and exam. I am very upset that she was not given antihistamine before the surgery and do not like the idea that we have to wait so long before finding out why she has developed so many lumps under her skin right after surgery.

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service.

Reason of review: surgery revealed good results.

Banfield Pet Hospital Pros: Seeming knowledge of doctors and assistants.

Banfield Pet Hospital Cons: Dog getting sicker after care.

Comments