Atascadero, California

Update by user Aug 18, 2012

received refund so did not need to pursue litigation. The refund was for the services I had done at other vet hospital which banfield reimbursed me for.

Happy to report my cat has made a full recovery and his third eyelid did finally go away and has little to no affect to his eye so made a full recovery as far as I can tell. I appreciate Banfield taking responsibility for what happened to him at their hospital and reimbursement. I know that this is not easy to get one hospital to pay for services at another hospital but they did it which is to Banfield\'s credit. I hope that the woman who told the doctor to do the ear cleaning even when it was not necessary and I made it clear to not do it unless necessary will be spoken to by Banfield if not already and that they will look into why she would even suggest this if the doctor said it wasn\'t needed.

I believe the doctor will never do an ear cleaning if not needed and hope that this will be a training piece for all banfield hospitals that even though it is safe I believe that it carries some risk to clean the ears. I want Dr. Smith to know that my cat has made a full recovery as far as I can tell but may have a smaller pupil in that eye however it looks like he was lucky to make a full recovery of a punctured eardrum causing Horners Syndrome and almost his demise. I wish Dr.

Smith well and know she has the heart of a good vet as she was honest, understanding and most of all has integrity. I do want to caution folks about the risks of ear cleanings and had I known that there were risks would never have had it done. I was told that usually cats ears don\'t need to be cleaned and did not know this. I have tried to delete my original post but they won\'t delete it and only want to give warning of first shield and ear cleaning and to not be talked into having all tests done for diagnosis as it seems banfield does unless critical to have all done.

I ended up paying almost $400.00 for all these tests and then told he had a Urinary Tract Infection and then paid more. I have asked for his records but have not received. I still want to see this lab indicating his urinary tract infection but besides that I am done with this and want Dr. Smith to know how much her honesty and integrity meant to me!

I know she has learned from this and hope the woman who misrepresented my requests has learned and has been spoken to about this by banfield management. I won\'t be returning to this hospital and wish all who do the very best results as our animals deserve the best care.

Original review posted by user Jul 14, 2012

TOOK MY ADORABLE AND SO BELOEVED 13 YEAR OLD WHITE DOMESTIC TO BANFIELD, SANTA CRUZ, CA AND EVERY TIME, CAT GOT SICK...GAVE HIM THE FRONTLINE AND HE GOT SICK SO BROUGHT HIM BACK AND PAID OVER $300 TO DIAGNOSE HIM AND SAID HE HAD URINARY TRACK INFECTION. TOOK HIM BACK FOR RECHECK TO BE SURE IT WAS GONE AND DOCTOR RECOMMENDED DENTAL.

WHEN BROUGHT IN THEY ASKED ME IF THERE WAS ANYTHING ELSE I WANTED DONE AND I SAID EAR CLEANING IF NECESSARY. WHEN BROUGHT HOME HE WAS FALLING OVER, COULDN'T WALK STRAIGHT, EYE SYMPTOMS OF HORNER'S SYNDROME (THIRD EYELID UP, EYE PURTRUDING, PUPIL IN EYE TO LEFT) AND WOULD NOT EAT OR DRINK DUE TO THE NAUSIA OF THE CONSTANT VERTIGO. TOOK BACK TO BANFIELD FOR FREE RECHECK AND DOCTOR HAD THE NERVE TO SAY NOTHING WRONG WITH EYE AND THAT HE ONLY HAD BACK WEAKNESS AND THEY WOULD CHARGE ME TO FIX PROBLEM CAUSED BY THEM AT DENTAL/EAR CLEANING. TOOK HIM TO ANOTHER VET IMMEDIATELY AND THIS VET DIAGNOSED HIM IN A MATTER OF MINUTES BY OBSERVING HIM THAT HE HAD AN EAR PROBLEM AND FOUND OUT 1/3 OF EARDRUM WAS RUPTURED WHICH WOULD ALSO CAUSE THE NERVE TO EYE TO BE AFFECTED.

NEVER GET YOUR CAT'S EAR CLEANED UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY SUCH AS MITES. I WAS NOT INFORMED OF ANY RISKS FOR THIS AND WHEN ASKED FOR REFUND THEY SAID THEY WOULD NOT GIVE TO ME DUE TO I HAD ASKED FOR THE EAR CLEANING. AGAIN DO NOT GET YOUR PETS EAR'S CLEANED! IT IS TOO RISKY TO RUPTURE SOMETHING.

MY EXPERIENCE WITH BANFIELD IS THAT THEY CARE MORE ABOUT MAKING MONEY THAN THE ANIMALS. I AM ASKING FOR COMPENSATION AND IF NOT GIVEN, I WILL FILE CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT. I WAS TRAUMATIZED BY WATCHING MY CAT NOT EAT OR DRINK AND ALMOST DIE AND WOULD HAVE IF I DIDN'T FORCE FEED HIM DUE TO THE NAUSIA FROM THE VERTIGO CAUSED BY EARDRUM PUNCTURE/RUPTURE...IT WAS TRAUMA OF SOME KIND TO THIS EAR AND SO GOD OLNY KNOWS WHAT THEY DID TO HIM TO CAUSE THIS TRAUMA. HE WENT IN PERFECT HEALTY CAT WITH PERFECT BLOOD TEST, NO PROBLEM WITH HIS LEFT EYE OR EARS.

PLEASE PASS ON THE WORD TO EVERYONE YOU CAN TO NEVER GO TO THIS HOSPITAL. I HAVE BEEN READING THE REVIEWS AND AM ABSOLUTELY SICK BY THEM. BANFIELD SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN FOR MALPRACTICE AND FOR SELLING DANGEROUS PRODUCTS. HAPPY TO REPORT MY CAT HAS GOTTEN BETTER FROM THE VERTIGO AND CAN WALK STRAIGHT, DOES NOT FALL OVER, CAN JUMP BUT HIS EYE WILL HAVE PERMANENT DAMAGE AND IS AND WILL BE DISFIGURED.

I SAW HIM TWITCHING THE OTHER NIGHT WHILE SITTING. IT SEEMS HE DOES NOT HAVE SAME BALANCE AS BEFORE WHEN HE TURNS HIS HEAD ALL THE WAY TO CLEAN HIMSELF. I SUGGEST THAT PEOPLE GO ONTO YOUTUBE AND GET THIS INFORMATION OUT THERE TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE AND GO TO 7 ON YOUR SIDE AND ANY OTHER MEDIA FORUMS POSSIBLE TO GET THE WORD OUT TO THE MAIN MEDIA. BANFIELD WILL TELL YOU THEY HAVE GREAT MEDICATIONS AND USE SAME MACHINES AS STANFORD...WHAT A CROCK!!!!

DON'T BELIEVE A WORD THEY TELL YOU AND FOR THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD GOOD EXPERIENCES WITH BANFIELD I TRULY AM HAPPY FOR YOU AND HOPE THAT YOU WILL CONTINUE TO. I ONLY WRITE THIS TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE AND CONSIDERING ALL THE COMPLAINTS ABOUT BANFIELD, WITHOUT DOUBT THERE IS SERIOUS RISK TO YOUR ANIMAL IF YOU TAKE HIM TO BANFIELD.....BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Pet Medical Service.

Comments

catlover981

Tiffany, I hope you read this! what worked for my cat was anitibotic shots...totaling 2 shots one every two weeks. My cat made a full recovery and so you may want to check with your doctor on this...sometimes the eardrum is punctured so you want to be careful with putting anything in ears...my vet told me not to get anything in the ears ever again as there may always be *** in his ear...I did the same thing as you and thought that he might need ear cleaning due to him scratching ears and I know how horrible it is to see your beloved pet have vertigo...best of luck with a full recovery...I don't know if the antibotics healed my cat or not for sure but I do know that in about 1 1/2 weeks he had lost the vertigo which is the dangerous part because they don't eat...give your one everything that he likes to eat..shrimp or turkey livers...his favorite food and this may have also saved his life as it took something he loved to get him to eat

catlover981

The same thing has happened to me at Banfield in San Juan Capistrano, Ca. My cat was under anesthesia to have her teeth cleaned and I had mentioned she scratches her ears so if they could check them out.

They said since she is under why not clean them. I wish I would've read this before!! It has been 1 week since the ear cleaning and she still stumbles when she walks. She is eating now but only "pate" food.

SHe looks like she is having a really tough time chewing up food. Thows up every other day due to the vertigo is what I was told??

So sad and all I can do is wait 3 weeks for it to heal and give her ear drops. I would also recommend NOT getting their ears cleaned

IfHumansHadDogsSouls - Yes, ear cleanings can be VERY safe if performed by a trained person. They screwed this up in a number of ways.

1 - If the ears were clean, they should have never even tried to clean the ears;

2 - Any person working in an animal hospital should know that an otoscope is a required tool when doing an ear cleaning/flush;

3 - Had an otoscope been used, they would have been able to address the ruptured ear drum before the cat even recovered from anesthesia;

4 - The doctor was negligent in not examining the ears after the cleaning;

5 - Many of Banfield's 'nurses' are people that have little to no veterinary experience and are paid minimum wage to help treat the pets.

Now, having worked in Banfields before, I am very familiar with their staffing and scheduling of procedures, so the doctor can't be completely to blame. There were some days we would have 3/4 surgeries (spays/neuters) and 6/7 dentals... All in ONE day. And that's not counting the 30+ appointments we saw throughout the day. (people wonder why they wait so long....) And staffing is a complete joke. We would be lucky to have 3 "nurses" scheduled on those busy days, and most of the time, none of the staff was state licensed to perform the aforementioned dental procedures!

Some of the doctors I worked with at Banfield really DID care about their patients, but were always in fear of being reprimanded if they didn't meet a certain dollar amount every day. The corporate offices/field leadership just sees dollar signs and not a loved member of the family. The doctors & staff were continuously over-worked because we were only given so many 'staff' hours per week... Why do you think the doctor turnover is so high and most doctors only last a year!

IfHumansHadDogsSouls

Ear cleaning is perfectly safe if the staff is trained to do it properly.

#520528

correction to my original post: sorry it was not frontline..it was First Shield which he got sick shortly after and was then diagnosed with a urinary track infection costing me close to $400 for running numerous tests. In terms of ear drum rupture due to unnecessary ear cleaning have not heard back from banfield headquarters/advocacy team. Have heard back from vet doctor at Santa Cruz Banfield and she has assured me that per banfield headquarters I will be sending me a refund which I am still waiting to receive.

#520523

update: contacted by vet from Santa Cruz, Banfield and admitted that ear cleaning was not necessary and apparently manager of Santa Cruz misrepresented me to doctor telling her I wanted the ear cleaning although I had made it verbally and in writing clear only if necessary. I appreciate the integrity of Dr.

Smith and know how had this must be to be this honest and appreciate it. Have been assured of refund for services rendered by banfield and other vet to diagnose and treat which I have not yet received. Serious concerns of this manager at Banfield in this clear misrepresentation of my words/instructions. She had assured me she would be sure to tell doctor but told doctor otherwise,specifically causing risk to my cat which almost caused his demise.

Also concerns of vet doctor who did recheck in that the ears were not checked and told that they would have to run all kind of tests and I would be charged. Believe Dr.

Smith is a good vet and genuinely cares about her patients (the animals) and feel her integrity is a mark of a good person/vet doctor. Still awaiting refund.

Banfield Pet Hospital

Hi Catlover981 - Thank you for letting us know about this issue. This does not meet our standards of excellence. I understand your frustration and am sorry you and your cat went through such a stressful situation. We have found your records and appended this additional review to them. It is our understanding that the hospital has been in touch with you about this unfortunate situation and is continuing to work with you to discuss your concerns. If you have additional concerns that have not yet been addressed, please reconnect with the hospital team directly.

Your satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us. Again, we apologize that you had an unhappy experience.

Sincerely,

Lisa

Banfield Online Community Manager

Banfield in Fullerton is also a horrible place to take your pets.