Denver, Colorado

i have had a wellness plan with banfield for 2 dogs for over 7 years...they have gone WAY downhill...they treat you like a number and have zero empathy and care/concern. just a paycheck for them that's evident.

when my 15 year old lab needed a rimadyl refil...they would not approve refil W/1-800 PET MEDS and didn't bother to call me. they were so rude when i called and could care less that my dog has been with them for years....pathetic! needless to say i immediately called another vet and i am done with them.

i am only sorry that i had referred them to my friends in the past. never again...that's forsure!

Product or Service Mentioned: Banfield Pet Hospital Wellness Plan.

Comments

aprilshowers96

I have 3 major complaints with this company. I have already complained about one of them.

But I want to complain about their Service fees and charges for extractions and teeth cleaning, and for Anal Gland procedures for your pet. about 2 months ago, I went into the office because my Small Maltiz-poodle mixed dog, who is 10 years old was in a great deal of pain of a enlarged anal gland that was stopped up. (not able to express normally) He had this large ball in the back of his behind. I tried to express it and could not get it to drain.

So I took my dog Buttons to Banfield. There was a older (Caucasian) lady VET Doctor with long Gray hair. She took a look at my dog and tried to Express the Anal gland but couldn't not express it either. So she said that she could drain the anal gland by surgery, but it would cost me around $1,200.00.

She said if I paid that price she would put me on the Yearly Doggy health plan and she would also do a dental cleaning and extractions for my dogs teeth. She said his teeth were very bad and they needed to clean them and take out the infected teeth. I told her that we didn't want to spend that kind of money and asked her what the price would be without the doggy health plan and just for them to express our poor dogs anal gland so he could be relieved of his pain. She said it was only $800.00.

I asked why it would cost this much. She said that she was going to have to do major surgery. And he needed to go to sleep during the surgery, She said the blood test for this kind of thing is around $400.00 alone. Me and my husband were stunned.

We took are dog that was in pain and left the office. We made one phone call to Teneker in Aurora co 80011, They did a cut on his anal gland and drained the fluid and they also did our dogs Rabies shots. All this for around $200.00, This procedures came with antibiotics and pain pills. That was a lot cheaper then $800.00-$1200.00, No blood test needed.

We also saw that his teeth were bad and he had around 7 of them that needed pulled. A month later when we had the funds, We took our dog down to Broadview on Evans in Denver Colorado, and they only charged us for $166.00 to pull 7 teeth and clean them (His teeth were easy and they charged us $2.00 per a tooth average to extract). (This procedure came with antibiotics and pain pills) I just can't believe the prices $$$$$$$ at Banfield. Beware who ever goes there.

Their prices are very unfair. Even on their so call healthy plan. They don't really care about your pet. They are ROBBERS, especially with animals that are involved.

Also Broadview on Evens in Denver, did the blood test for only $33.00, compare that to Banfield $400.00. (my experience from March -April 20012) I have all the records to show the prices from banfield and other other vets and there is a major difference in PRICES.

Banfield being a company with Major issues. I would like to Put Banfield on the NEWS and expose them for who they really are.

@aprilshowers96

My cat had a tooth that was abscessed and needed to come out. We decided to use Banfield because their dental prices seemed more reasonable and it was right down the street, so my cat wouldn't have too much of a trip (he has a lot of anxiety on car rides). The initial visit, kitty got a rabies shot and the vet looked in his mouth for five seconds and said let's do the dental and get the tooth out. So he goes back and types up a breakdown of the procedure and gives me an estimate for $400-500, and said the $500 end of it was more a "worse case scenario", like if additional teeth had to be pulled. Well my cat has no other teeth, so I knew this wouldn't be an issue. Also included in this estimate was a $60 antibiotic shot (because "they don't like to give dental patients pills after tooth removal") but they included $15 for a pill form of pain medication...go figure.

Fast forward to less than two days before his procedure, and I get a phone call from the front office girl at Banfield (I will say, she was VERY nice and apologetic). She proceeds to tell me that the vet doing my cat's dental and tooth removal had looked over the treatment plan and noticed that the initial vet had made a mistake and had not adequately charged for the particular tooth to be removed and that my cost would not be the $400, but that the vet was willing to give me a cheaper antibiotic to offset the cost. So I'm thinking, OK, so they're talking about a $20-40 difference. However, when she called me back after getting the cost from the vet, she told me my total would be upwards of $550!!!!!!

I spoke to corporate and then the practice manager. The PM told me I should enroll in the wellness plan for $25 a month and that would bring the cost of the procedure way down. He also told me that they can only do ballpark estimates of procedures and that things can change once the cat is under and the vet can look around. Well isn't that what the initial exam is for? Why would I trust them to do anything at this point, when basically I'm being told the sky's the limit on cost? And why would I entrust my pet to vets who can't even adequately tell you what needs to be done? I should not have to pay for a typo a vet made....and it's not like it's $20...you're talking about a 40% mark-up or more. Basically, you hand them over your pet for a dollar figure and can leave with a completely different cost. I will be canceling his appointment and will not be returning ever.

If you love your pets, don't take them to Banfield in Parker, CO.

I wrote this letter to them in Dec 2011, never received a written response.

Now Banfield is hounding me by phone for 2 more premium payments. My credit card issuer, after evaluating the case, agreed that they would credit my account for 2 months' premiums.

Erin, I totally agree with your comments. I am into the thousands now with what I have spent.

I will never return to this Banfield or any other for that matter. This outfit committed illegal fraud when they slapped their own label over a box of very expensive medicine to "extend" the date. Also, when they did not have the corrrect dose of meds for my little dog vet wanted to OD my little guy by having him take 2X the meds in one sitting. Regarding the customer service..complete joke.

Then forget using the coupons they send in the mail, they will scold and belittle you for using them. Corporate headquarters is not any better and I was told the CEO of Mars Inc (owner of Banfield) does not have anything to do with these matters.

Hmm, the CEO not responsible for illegal acts of his company??? Don't think so.

Hmm, the CEO not responsible for illegal acts of his company??? Don't think so.

Has your dog been to that vet within the last year? Did it have bloodwork within the last year?

You should be glad they did not allow 100 pet meds to give the refill... 1-800 pet meds has been known to sell some drugs that are not legit... get your meds from a real vet clinic, its not any cheaper on there anyway...

Banfield Pet Hospital

Erin,

Thank you for providing this feedback, and we certainly apologize that your visit to our hospital was not satisfactory. Our Client Advocate team would really appreciate the opportunity to discuss this issue with you.

Please reach out to us at 877-500-2288. Thank you.

in almost every state, the DVM is required to give the client a hand written Rx upon request. Often, they refuse in hopes that you will just get the meds from them.

That increases their revenue. Stand up for your rights people...