Saint Paul, Minnesota
1.1K views

I work for Banfield and it makes me laugh to read all these. I can promise you that I make less than half all of you do and I work my butt off. Whatever vet you go to, Banfield or not you will find that someone is not going to be happy. I have worked at other clinics before and trust me, Banfield cares A LOT more than some clinics out there.

Do you think human doctors can take a quick look at you and know whats wrong...You need to give vets a break!! they have to figure out what wrong without the patient being able to tell them whats wrong or what hurts!!!

They have to run tests, take xrays, run bloodwork, they can't just use magical psychic powers to know what your pet is thinking...

And if you are going to have a pet understand that health care for pets is not cheap...so expect to pay or DON'T GET A PET IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT!!!!

You would never walk into a human doctors office and expect them to see you or do something without paying...

I am sorry to those who have lost pets, but it happens everywhere...nobody is perfect, but I am not going to go complaining about my Dad's doctors because they couldn't fix him and he died...no, they are human, they can't do everything!!! Same with vets, so give them a break!!

Comments

I hope they kill your dog too then you can bs everyone about how caring they are. My dog was healthy perfect 5 years old and your *** plan of stacked vaccinations and my ignored warnings that he didn't do well last "vaccination " - wtf am I wasting my time on a mindless follower just keep killing dogs - read these reviews - they make you laugh? That says a lot about who you are

justme333

I worked at a Banfield and hated it. They are too understaffed and spend more time baby talking to the animals then actually getting something done.

The technicians at this clinic were constantly trying to run a doctor out. The head teach/practice manager had like 1 year of experience and no leadership abilities. I never got to finish my training because they were so short staffed. No one there understood I had a kid, and they kept on making me stay longer each day..

which ended up in my daycare dropping me and *happily* forced me to quit this job. I did not like it anyway, I found the wellness plans to be a huge rip off to the customers, and I just couldn't stand working at a place that is okay with ripping folks off.

justme333

PS--The original poster makes a good point. DONT expect owning a pet to be cheap.

It doesn't matter where any of us work that's one thing we get sick of hearing is how expensive it is. It's expensive no matter where you go. I admit I think Banfield's Wellness Plans are a joke but, I heard complaint at any practice I've worked about vet costs. I assure you that many of those products and tests you pay for don't have much room for profit for the DVM.

That's really where the exam fee comes into play. THEIR TIME is where they make that profit. Just like kids. If you can't afford them DONT HAVE THEM.

It's because of owners like that our shelters are full of abandoned animals. Also, if they tell you to finish the WHOLE course of medication, FINISH IT.

I interviewed at Banfield a few months ago. I am an unlicensed tech but have 5 years experience as a technician and pre-vet curriculum. I was appalled by some of the things I witnessed. First of all they have you "observe". So, no working interview like most places. Working interviews are where you actually show them what you know and show you have those skills. So, their staff is hired before they prove any of their skills. Just another warm body I guess? There wasn't a single licensed tech on staff of 5 techs. They said they actually had NO licensed techs whatsoever. I'm 3 months from taking my exam to be licensed and just thought Banfield would be a good start after the private practice I had worked for was sold (vet retired).

Most of the techs at Banfield looked like they started working there out of high school and sort of hung around. The pay is beyond lower then what most private practices will offer you. Just watching these "techs" restrain was painful. I just would of thought they would have ONE licensed tech atleast to oversee education and proper procedure etc. The person over the hospital didn't even have veterinary experience.

I had to turn down the job offer because I didn't agree with the standard of care at all and wouldn't recommend anyone take their pets to Banfield. They offered me the job especially after they saw me showing one of their "experienced" techs how to do something properly.

Support your local private practice vets and not one of these "Walmart" Hospitals. I assure you the DVM's at Banfield are pushing those "Wellness Plans" because they see more $$$ in their check on pay day...Commission. It's no secret. I'm sure not every single Banfield out there is like this but, 12 Banfields within a 90 mile radius of me have less than 2 stars on YELP and YELLOWPAGES. Something isn't right. Their standard of care is awful. Just going for the interview and doing the observations made me realize that it's about the $$$ and NOT standard of care. My friend who just graduated vet school said Banfield is a joke among her peers and professors. I didn't want them listed on my resume. I now know 2 veterinarians who actually throw resume's away if the tech started at Banfield.

Goodluck to those who work for them AND those who rely on them for care. Again, I'm sure not ALL of them are like this but, so far I'm not a fan...

I work for Banfield and am one of those young people who want to make a difference. Everyone at the hospital I work at are serious animal lovers and provide amazing care.

I see the what happens to them all when a pet has to be euthanized, or when there is a pet in a lot of pain. They all care so so much, and I wish that pet owners could see the team behind the scenes. At my practice, the team is caring, thoughtful, and intelligent. Everyone is well qualified and are animal parents themselves.

I just wish everyone would stop bad-mouthing Banfield, it breaks my heart because I work with a dedicated team who show their hard work, compassion, and skill every day...only to have a bunch of people who have never met them before talk poorly about the company as a whole making this loving (and very loved team by clients) look like horrible monsters.

I am sitting here in my scrubs from work earlier today, and I tell you, all of these comments are really putting me down, even when I worked extra hours today just to ensure that I could follow up on a patient that I cared deeply about. Please address your problems with Banfield, and any other practice for that matter (problems DO occur at other practices as well), but please do with an open heart and care for those of us who really do love you and your pet.

I am going to start my new job at Banfield on Monday. I am very excited because I haven't worked at a veterinary clinic in a while.

I absolutely love it. I have worked at a few in the past. Everything that Rabi21 stated is true. I believe that a lot of people who are upset with whoever their veterinarian is, are upset because they uneducated about what is going on with their pet.

Instead of getting angry and saying that their vet is just overcharging, they should ask the vet to sit with them and explain what is going on and what all the charges and procedures are for.

I think that everyone who is thinking about getting or already has a pet, should seriously consider pet insurance. Just like people insurnace. It's not that expensive and in cases of emergencies like a lot of people have reported, it can save a lot of money.

Most people consider their pets to be members of the family, I do as well, that being said they should then be treated as such. You want to make sure your children are healthy and you take them to the doctor routinely for exams and vaccines (mainly when they're really young) same principle applies to pets. They have to bee taken in and checked routinely. Just like we have to have blood work drawn every so many years or when there is a problem that is not easily diagnosed, pets need the same treatment.

And like at the doctor, the vet's office costs money as well. And if possible, we try to have insurance so that procedures are more affordable.

Most people don't plan on their pet getting sick. Especially when they first get one. Truth is, it happens, just like your child getting a cold.

Pets are as big a responsibility as children. You need to do your research before getting a pet. You should look at how much you can afford for the upkeep of you pet. This includes food, which for puppies usually costs more because they eat several times a day.

The size of dog you get also plays a role in how much your dog will eat. You need to factor in vaccinations, the spaying or neutering of your pet and any possible emergencies. Banfield has an aray of wonderful wellness plan for pets of all ages and they are very affordable.

They are very caring people. :grin

#31990

Wow, I just went on-line to find a contact number to ask some questions about my contract with Banfield (because money is tight at the moment) and was really surprised to see so many outraged clients!

I personally have had nothing but the best of care at Banfield and have been impressed by the amount of TLC for both my pet and myself. I am an extremely busy person, as most of us are, and I really appreciate how thorough they are with follow-up and notifications about check-ups.

My little kitty is so old and due to an ancient injury, he's a bit on the fragile side. Every Banfield I have been to has been so wonderful with him. They are so tender and I appreciate the way they treat him- just the way that I do.

I can tell you one thing... those "young" employees that you are complaining about "handling your animals" are there because THEY LOVE WHAT THEY DO. They are not there for the money, but because they love animals and want to help help take care of them, and it always shows... if you would get your nose out of the air and pay attention.

You should be ashamed of yourselves...and thankful that vet clinics will actually hire young people with enthusiasm for what they do.

After all... who do you suppose will take care of YOUR pets in the future???

Yep, all those "young people" that you are bad-mouthing for the entire internet community to view.

Shame, shame....

As for the rest of the people mad at the vets because THEY ARE DOING WHAT THEY ARE TRAINED TO DO, I suggest you put yourselves in their shoes. I guarentee you would not just throw out prescriptions to every Tom, ***, and Harry that happened to come into the clinic, and hope for the best.

Nope, you're going to cover your .......

8) Banfield is the BEST vet hospital I have been to besides The Bayshore Emergency Center in San Mateo, which I moved so I had to change. The Vet is EXCELLENt and truly cares. I think Banfield is agreat place to work as well, everyone seems so happy.

I have been a patient of Banfield for a year now. I have received nothing but the best of care-They treat my dad with respect, they are always happy to see me, and they have treated all of my problems from scabies, to insect bites, to just normal aches and pains.

When it was tiem for my 12 year old sister Sheba to go, they discussed the situation with my folks before they agreed to put her to sleep. I just got back from my twice annual physical ans I saw that so far my expenses would have been $3,800 ( I have had a lot of issues) and they have never tried to offer or sell my dad anything I didn't need. I have had my teeth cleaned, a tooth pulled, ear infections, bit on the nose by a spider which made it swell up, I have had sprains, cut paws, and infections, and they have always taken me on just a walk in basis-Never needed an apointment unless my dad made me one for future needs.

If I needed medication and theirs was too expensive, they worte a script for Kroger so dad could buy the $4.00 perscriptions. My dad reads where they have a lot of unhappy customers because pets have died under Banfields care, people die under people doctors too but I can tell you one thing, they have always taken care of me, they call my dad the next day to see how I am doing, I get birthday cards, and a nice bandanna every visit